Bang for the buck Gaming Build

onin

Limp Gawd
Please Help!

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1000 Canadian + Taxes
3) Where do you live?
Canada
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
CPU
MoBo
Case
HDD
PSU
Video Card
Ram
Optical Drive

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
Keyboard / Mouse
6) Will you be overclocking?
If its required
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Already have - 32in 1080p
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard?
Purely Gaming and 1080p content
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Windows 7

Planning to get AMD 1055T or 1090T + Radeon

Thanks for your input!

9) What features do you need in a motherboard?
Purely Gaming and 1080p content
Yeah none of that pertains to the actual question. Gaming and 1080P content are not directly related when choosing a motherboard for gaming. Here's the question again in its full form:
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? Multiple PCI-E x16 slots? etc.

Quick prelim build:
AMD Phenom II 1055T CPU
AM3 Motherboard with AMD chipset
4GB DDR3 1333 RAM (Cheapest set that you can find. Timings do not matter)
HD 6870 1GB or HD 6950 1GB depending on budget
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB Hard drive
Cheapest SATA DVD burner that you can find
Corsair 650TX or Antec 620C PSU

No, the 1090T is not worth the extra cash over the 1055T.

I just finished building the system in my sig. Total cost was $974 before rebates but including tax and shipping. I'm using a 40" Toshiba LCD but it's the same resolution as your 32". My system will run everything at max, including Crysis (I have screen shots!). The costs does not include the OS since I get W7 for free since I'm an engineering student.

I just finished building the system in my sig. Total cost was $974 before rebates but including tax and shipping. I'm using a 40" Toshiba LCD but it's the same resolution as your 32". My system will run everything at max, including Crysis (I have screen shots!). The costs does not include the OS since I get W7 for free since I'm an engineering student.

Thats a pretty good build, I will look into it!

I caught them all on Shell Socker.. PSU=$29, SSD=$180, and I love the board.. lot of features for $108.. my review is here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1586520

Good for you. But the Zalman PSU is of low quality, Sandforce based SSDs have been shown to have really low real world performance compared to their stated speeds, and ASrock only has a one year warranty hence their lower prices. For me, paying more $108 for a motherboard with only a one year warranty when many other similarily priced mobos have 3 years is not a good idea. I'd rather sacrifice some features or pay a little more to get a longer warrant.

The Zalman PSU is of really good quality UNTIL you hit 90% load, then the 12v line gets a lot of noise on it. I never pull much over 70-ish % load on mine so it's not an issue.

Not sure where you're pulling that Corsair force info from, but I've benched mine it pulls 277 read and 250 write. Considering I'm using an AMD chipset that's as bout as good as I'm gonna get. I did update the firmware as soon as I got it though to resolve the annoying sleep issue.

The 1 year warranty does suck, but I can't remember the last time I kept a computer for a full year. I always sell them and upgrade.

Not sure where you're pulling that Corsair force info from, but I've benched mine it pulls 277 read and 250 write. Considering I'm using an AMD chipset that's as bout as good as I'm gonna get. I did update the firmware as soon as I got it though to resolve the annoying sleep issue.

Right you see that part where Danny said low real world performance the SF1200 drives benchmark like gods.. But there performance doesn't actually stay at the same high regard..

Unlike Danny though I still wont hesitate to recommend them (other then the new OCZ ones until OCZ gets there act together) based on cost per GB because I understand that even if they are not performing up to there own inflated specs there still performing a HELL of a lot better then most lesser SSD's & even more so then mechanical drives & will still feel very fast for most people. But if the cost per GB favors a crucial or intel, then the Sandforce drives loose there edge.

Ah, interesting, I only have the OS, Firefox, and WoW on my Corsair SSD so it's hard to say. I know it takes about 13 seconds to boot and I barely see the load bar in WoW now :)

Not sure if I would buy it again knowing that though...

Ah, interesting, I only have the OS, Firefox, and WoW on my Corsair SSD so it's hard to say. I know it takes about 13 seconds to boot and I barely see the load bar in WoW now :)

Not sure if I would buy it again knowing that though...

Yea imho there only outclassed by a select few. I have a 90gb OCZ Vertex 2 & its still performing up to my expectations, But I knew what I was buying when I bought it. What it came down to is that when i bought it I paid less for the 90gb then I could have for a 64gb crucial & much less then I could the 80gb intel at the time.. So my Cost per GB was very good & being as this is not my 1st SSD I have come to realise that the performance while using them feels pretty much the same on most decent SSD's (I went from raid 0 80gb intel's to a single x25v 40gb & no noticeable difference in usage other then capacity)

Back