Barcelona in Action 1P and 2P

In the first pic, you accidentally put a thumbnail on the pic 1 window instead of the full size.

Anyway, it's neat to see them in action but too bad the bling is hiding the essentials.

Pretty nice, I hope it'a competitive price and performance wise to Intel. AMD's gotta live up to their 939 track record. :p

Man check those fans - guess that means it runs HOT... ?? I have the same case, but only use 2 fans in the side panel.

Pretty sweet...real-time 1080p encoding....ahhhh....

Just a little off topic, how do you route the cables in the door holding the 4 fans, so cleanly?

I own this case & it's driving me crazy.

Man check those fans - guess that means it runs HOT... ?? I have the same case, but only use 2 fans in the side panel.

Actually I think the fans were just there in a defacto cool kind of way. They were not needed. The R600 consumes more wattage than both the Barcelonas together, but they do a good job of exhausting the case with the fan setup attached.

I will say this. The 2P motherboard solution you are looking at there is a much more elegant and efficient solution than we saw with the last 4x4 implementation.

I finally know what NDA is all about, I went to a company manufacturing parts for a F1 team some time ago and I needed to sign a NDA before they let me see all of the interesting stuff. I'll sign any NDA again just to experience all new interesting stuff first hand. People who didn't sign the NDA can just discuss rumours in forums and wait until the release date arrives :D

so the new chips seem to be working then right? RELEASE THEM ALREADY :p

Will we see the desktop version of these quad cores available for our purchase in the 3rd quarter? 4th quarter?

I don't really understand what Kyle meant by "You will be seeing Barcelona in servers long before it finally gets to our desktops though.".

So what is the technology behind the Phenom (Agena) quadcore? Is it really different/inferior than Opteron (Barcelona)?

I am asking because I am waiting for Phenom and I thought there won't much if any difference for desktop usage just like the difference between Socket 939 Athlon X2 and Opteron.

All I got to say is ill believe it when I see it. If it does happen, then good job AMD, very good job indeed.

Im hoping it does happen, but something telling me its not going to be as good as they are claiming it to be.

And people thought the same thing about Core when Intel first made their claims.

Obviously, why else would Intel push up the release of Penryn? ;)

Latest information suggests Q3 for Server (Barcelona / Phenom FX) and Desktop Quadcores (Phenom X4).

Q4 for Desktop Dualcores (Phenom X2) .

Now, remember Q3 = July - September. It's quite possible we could see Barcelona eariler, like in July, and the desktop quadcores in September.

AMD said summer, so that would leave me to believe July or August.

that verbalization is about as useful as tits on a nun.

All I got to say is ill believe it when I see it. If it does happen, then good job AMD, very good job indeed.

Im hoping it does happen, but something telling me its not going to be as good as they are claiming it to be.

People who sign the NDA can only keep their mouth shut and people who didn't can only speculate ;)

@Kyle
how credible of a verbalization is this core2 demolishing? I hope its a quad core to quad core comparison......as well......

damn from everything kyle has posted, I know I am saving all my pennies for a Barcelona 4x4 setup.......

I knew that was what I was gonna get the day 4x4 was announced... Now that it will be a mature product line, it should be well worth the investment.

I knew that was what I was gonna get the day 4x4 was announced... Now that it will be a mature product line, it should be well worth the investment.

yeah I agree, damn..... better start saving up for those terrabyte drives for the 12 or so sata ports hahahhahaha.....

Looks great hopefully buy the time I'm ready to buy say next spring/summer the 4X4 platform will be mature and affordable. Though things are starting to look on the up and up for AMD hopefully they can make Intel scramble again.

yeah I agree, damn..... better start saving up for those terrabyte drives for the 12 or so sata ports hahahhahaha.....

My thing is that I dont need a bunch of SATA ports. I dont need a bunch of PCIe X16 ports. I dont need a bunch of USB ports....

However that Dual Socket Quad Core goodness will be too tempting to ignore. 8 cores running side by side with 4 2 gig DDR2-800 DIMMS I gotta have it.

I've been settled with the rig in my sig far too long...... I've been saving my pennies since before I bought this rig. The only reason I bought this rig was to hold me over until 4x4 matures. It looks like it'll finally be time to get that system I've been wanting.

My thing is that I dont need a bunch of SATA ports. I dont need a bunch of PCIe X16 ports. I dont need a bunch of USB ports....

However that Dual Socket Quad Core goodness will be too tempting to ignore. 8 cores running side by side with 4 2 gig DDR2-800 DIMMS I gotta have it.

I've been settled with the rig in my sig far too long...... I've been saving my pennies since before I bought this rig. The only reason I bought this rig was to hold me over until 4x4 matures. It looks like it'll finally be time to get that system I've been wanting.

hahhahaha I know what you mean I really want the 8 cores and 8 GB of Ram......as well..... hmmm..... :drool:

With all of the "Empire Strikes Back" comparisons that have been made when referring to Intel's Core 2 Duo launch, I had to remember something old Obi Wan Kenobi said, "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

Heh, that's my favorite line from the article.

I hope that AMD does not stall the release of Agena and Kuma. I was contemplating upgrading to a C2D, but held off because at the time the price for the E6600 was $300+. Now that the price has come down, Barcelona is on the horizon. I think my wait was justified.

Ian McNaughton showed off both systems encoding a 1080P trailer of Spiderman 3 to an H.264 format.
8 (EIGHT) cores to encode "h.264" in realtime

why am i the only one NOT excited....

hint: "to an h.264 format" can be anything... unless the profile and resolution are specified my old 3800x2 can "encode to an h.264 format" in realtime

i hope kyle's right.... we need AMD to come back into the playing field

Wow, just wow.

In just a couple years we went from single core to 8 cores in the near future.

hmmm i better save up also i have been waiting for a big jump from my AXP that im still typing this out on :eek:

hint: "to an h.264 format" can be anything... unless the profile and resolution are specified my old 3800x2 can "encode to an h.264 format" in realtime

1080p is 1920x1080 pixels. The profiles part is rather ambiguous however. Also I haven't kept up on encoding performance, but I assume this is good since it merits mention. Anyone wanna clear this up for me?

Edit: A question just occurred to me, was the video card have been assisting in the encoding process?

From the news article on the [H] front page.

What you see in the pictures below are single processor and dual processor configurations, so a true "4x4" is now realized by AMD that looks very comfortable on an enthusiast desktop. And yes, those are Radeon X2900 XT video cards in the systems. Ian McNaughton showed off both systems encoding a 1080P trailer of Spiderman 3 to an H.264 format.

i think July would be our best bet. exactly a year after Core2Duo was intro'd.

these are exciting times to be an AMD fan (if execution of roadmap succeeds). we got barcelona, then desktop kumas Q4, mid 2008 we will have Shanghai and later on octo-core Montreal. w00t!

Kyle, were you allowed to see what speed these beasts are at? (dumb question but why not!?)

i think July would be our best bet. exactly a year after Core2Duo was intro'd.

these are exciting times to be an AMD fan (if execution of roadmap succeeds). we got barcelona, then desktop kumas Q4, mid 2008 we will have Shanghai and later on octo-core Montreal. w00t!

Kyle, were you allowed to see what speed these beasts are at? (dumb question but why not!?)

July might be the best bet - but I still say its June.... :eek: :eek: :D

Back