Barton 3000+

dgb

Limp Gawd
Ok, I know it's getting on the old side now, but will a Barton 3000+ (not overclocked), coupled with a 6600GT and 1GB of generic RAM be enough to cope with all new games, at 1280x1024?

If not, what would be the minimum AMD processor I can get away with to allow me to run at at 1280x1024?, it would be S754 as I would be trying to keep costs down.

I run 1024x768 with similar specs, only i have a 9700 pro. It seems to be fine for bf2, and HL2.

i think i'd wait a little while to let the g70 drop prices some, and spring for a 6800gt or a 7800nu

While I would like to, that's not really feasible, as I need to give my current Ti4600 to my parents, and a 6600gt is the top level graphics card I can afford, and I kinda want a graphics card in my computer :p.

The question is, will I be significantly held back by the processor, if running in 1280x1024.

nah, if you have a 6600gt, i think it'll be pretty well balanced..

also, you can never really be limited by just one. if it's too much of a cpu limitation, crank the quality until it's video card limited ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
nah, if you have a 6600gt, i think it'll be pretty well balanced..

also, you can never really be limited by just one. if it's too much of a cpu limitation, crank the quality until it's video card limited ;)

One of the nice things about the 6600gt is that it as a rule over clocks like mad. I picked up an MSI unit and have my GPU running at 585 and the RAM at 1.10 gigs. NVidia actually makes “cool bits” available to you for the over clock, just watch your Temps.

No, it’s not a 6800 but it’s pretty respectable at those speeds. :D

this is true. i'm just upset with my 6800gt that can barely do 380mhz.. LAME! :(

LOL (cf), my AGP 6800nu can easily do that on stock air! Hehe. I just don't run it there as I never use it. lol.

Back