basic home backup options - which one?

anferne85

n00b
Hi, If I can get some advice on simple home pc backup options:
Objective; entirely backup the 4 drives on my pc, so that I can reinstate windows, keep all documents and sync my storage drives, photos, videos etc. backup size is 3-4tb. I also use my pc to stream plex to tv.

Which option would be best?

1) (A$130)Cheap option, add another 4t drive to my pc and have it do all the backing up.
2) (A$200)Middle cost option, get one of those external cloud hdd’s WD makes.
3) (A$320-450)Expensive option, A synlogy 2bay nas + 3tb hdd (more if raid1), use it to stream and backup media.

Are there any other options you would recommend, that I am missing?

Is the redundancy benefit of a nas that much better than just adding a HDD to my pc ?

The NAS device (with a couple of 6TB drives to give you space), in addition to giving you a mirrored pair of your backup also air-gaps your backups to a point. Just remember a single failed power supply in your box blowing could take out your primary drive(s) as well as any backup devices you have connected as well. As Plex also supports a number of Synology boxes not only for direct stream but also for transcoding on some units, that could take some stress off your desktop.

Cheers

thinking about it, the real purpose of the back up is to have an 'air gap' for personal documents and a windows image.

that leaves options 2 & 3 worth considering.

If option 3 means I dont need to have the pc on to use plex it + all the other nas benefits, Nas looks like a winner....

Local backup with an offsite backup (in case of fire, flood, etc) is the best option. My wife takes our offsite encrypted backup to work, where it's locked in a file cabinet.

If this is only to allow re-installing windows, Just get a 4TB hard drive, back up to it, and then re-install windows.

If you want to keep a current backup, get a USB3 case and put a 4TB drive in it.

---

We backup to 3 hard drives every night. 2 are internal. One is external. From time to time we move a hard drive off site.

Back