Bassy, warm headphones and amp recommendation

Pechendko

Limp Gawd
I've been using my hd650s for half a year now, while I really like them I think I want something a bit different.

Recommend me closed headphones that have similar warm sound with muffled highs but with LOTS OF BASS.
Preferably not more expensive than 650's.:D

Also, I have O2+ODAC - amp+dac. Will switching to a tube amp add more base and warmth to the sound?
I don't think o2 benefits my 650's in any way other than adding volume because I've tried them from my laptop and pc and they sounded exactly the same with enough volume to spare (35-40 was the comfortable level).
Could there be a problem with the O2 amp or dac not having enough power for them? Everyone says 650's potential can only be reached with a desktop amp and I don't find this to be the case for some reason with my gear. :confused:

Can you "roll your own OPAMPS" on that DAC? If you can switching OPAMPS can make a very dramatic difference in the sound the AMP+DAC output.

For example I'm using a Fostex A4 that came with OPA2134 and switched them for LME49990. The difference was staggering (as I expected since I used the LMEs in my Asus Xonar Essence to great effect).

As far as a headphone(s) recommendation goes I have two favourite "bass head" cans.

1) Denon AH-D5000s (These are stupid expensive these days, I got mine a few years back for like $450).

2) Denon AH-D650s (If you can get them for around $350-$400 they have a great low end.

I cannot imagine wanting these things but if you want bass...

XBSeriesgraph.png

The XB series is just ear drum ruining bass and recessed everything else. Bad for your future hearing in huge ways, but... if that's what you want.

I cannot imagine wanting these things but if you want bass...

XBSeriesgraph.png

The XB series is just ear drum ruining bass and recessed everything else. Bad for your future hearing in huge ways, but... if that's what you want.

That's exactly what I want :D

But in which way are these bad for hearing? I thought the shrill headphones like bayers or akg701 with elevated highs would be much worse?

I had sony mdr200 before which were bassy and soft and I loved their non fatiguing sound, unfortunately they broke. And I couldn't get used to the more neutral sound of my 650's for a long time afterwards. Instrument's like violin sounded extremely painful, but it actually got a lot better now, maybe they just burnt in?

But how exactly muffled bassy sound can be worse than this?

Can you "roll your own OPAMPS" on that DAC? If you can switching OPAMPS can make a very dramatic difference in the sound the AMP+DAC output.

For example I'm using a Fostex A4 that came with OPA2134 and switched them for LME49990. The difference was staggering (as I expected since I used the LMEs in my Asus Xonar Essence to great effect).

I took apart the o2 and it seemed that the opamps can be changed, they were plugged into their sockets. I guess I'll give it a try.

Which opamps produce the most bassy and soft sound?

I took apart the o2 and it seemed that the opamps can be changed, they were plugged into their sockets. I guess I'll give it a try.

Which opamps produce the most bassy and soft sound?

Can you tell me what OPAMPS are in there currently? I'm a big fan of the LME49990. Very good, tight bass with great clarity. Want to take a pic of the naked o2? :D:cool:

Don't those headphones have V shaped frequency response, with a boost in the highs and lows?

They may be bassy but also shrill. Or am I wrong?

They definitely aren't high on treble. I would say both are warm. I use DT990s daily. They have no treble compared to my AKG Q701s. Edit to note: DT770s would probably be the better choice of the 2 for OP though.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I want :D

But in which way are these bad for hearing? I thought the shrill headphones like bayers or akg701 with elevated highs would be much worse?

The first generation of XB headphones (XB700, XB500, XB300) were pretty damn good. I own both an XB700 and an XB500. They are easy to identify because of their fairly large, extra fluffy ear pads. Not only did they sound good and have lots of bass, they were actually pretty cheap also.

Unfortunately, despite the XB series being successful and popular at that point amongst people who actually cared about sound, Sony had their eye on the success of Beats headohones. As a result, they re-engineered the whole lineup, sacrificing quality and sound while simultaneously raising the average price. XB headphones (XB800, XB600, XB400, etc) are now nothing more than overpriced, mediocre, Beats-wannabe headphones targeted at school children and hipsters.

Don't those headphones have V shaped frequency response, with a boost in the highs and lows?

They may be bassy but also shrill. Or am I wrong?

Really, it's all relative. They do have a bit of a V curve but it's not too bad. It's nothing like the treble other headphones have such as the MDR-V6/MDR-7506. They probably would have a bit more treble than you are used to coming from something like an HD650.

Have you considered simply using an equalizer?

I've also been recommended the JVC sz2000 on headfi.

These seems like they have the most bass but the highs are still prominent, compared to 650's with their dip in 8k.

I just want my headphones to to be as weighty, warm and full as possible, I hate thin and bright sound.

Last edited:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

From these descriptions it looks like the V-MODA Crossfade M-100 would suit.

I'd probably want the NAD Viso HP-50 (which is currently $250).

It's amusing that you actually want bloated bass, but you already tried the HD-650 with a great DAC / AMP. This is the amp designer's opinion with regard to his amp and the HD-650: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-we-hear.html - he couldn't distinguish its performance from that of the Benchmark DAC-1.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/striking-master-dynamic-mh40-sealed-around-ear-headphone-page-2 - in this recent Master Dynamic MH40 review, check out this quote:

" "It's as if this headphone emphasizes everything. I know that would just bring it back to flat, but that's what the MH40 sounds like." A very apt description. In listening tests I compared the MH40 with the Sennheiser Momentum, Shure SRH1540, Focal Spirit Pro, and NAD VISO HP50. Only the HP50 came close to delivering the slam of the MH40, the rest seemed almost thin in comparison."

Yea... HP50 looks to be fun and balanced for the price. That's the best I can do just from reading...Perhaps you'll have to apply some EQ to achieve the desired sound.

Though it may be that what you want doesn't belong on the "wall of fame," and is already suggested in this thread...

Last edited:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

From these descriptions it looks like the V-MODA Crossfade M-100 would suit.

I'd probably want the NAD Viso HP-50 (which is currently $250).

It's amusing that you actually want bloated bass, but you already tried the HD-650 with a great DAC / AMP. This is the amp designer's opinion with regard to his amp and the HD-650: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-we-hear.html - he couldn't distinguish its performance from that of the Benchmark DAC-1.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/striking-master-dynamic-mh40-sealed-around-ear-headphone-page-2 - in this recent Master Dynamic MH40 review, check out this quote:

" "It's as if this headphone emphasizes everything. I know that would just bring it back to flat, but that's what the MH40 sounds like." A very apt description. In listening tests I compared the MH40 with the Sennheiser Momentum, Shure SRH1540, Focal Spirit Pro, and NAD VISO HP50. Only the HP50 came close to delivering the slam of the MH40, the rest seemed almost thin in comparison."

Yea... HP50 looks to be fun and balanced for the price. That's the best I can do just from reading...Perhaps you'll have to apply some EQ to achieve the desired sound.

Though it may be that what you want doesn't belong on the "wall of fame," and is already suggested in this thread...

NAD HP-50's are nice headphones, unique sounding, but definitely not bassy. I'd say the highs are muted and the rest sounds "balanced" and airy. You'd have to listen at high volumes to get an over-the-top "thump".

Bloated bass is my forte.. with an Essence STX combined with Ultrasone Pro 900's.. My mind = blown.

http://en.goldenears.net/3733

These are the headphones I had before hd650's.

Basically I want something like this but with whole lot of bass, I don't even care if they will completely lack any detail and resolution compared to 650's.

To give you an idea how warm they sounded - I needed more than 2 months to get used to the more neutral sound signature of the 650's (which are considered one of the warmest cans amongst audiophiles) and at the first time when I just got them I literally cringed at some music and had to lower the volume because of how piercing they sounded at that time to me. :D

But now I've got used to them actually and I do think they sound warm and laid back. But I still miss those sony's.

Looks like I've found what I need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBR4Yov2ldY

You can tell ever from the video that they sound much more bassy and softer, compared to xb500's, the difference is huge.

Does anyone have any experience with these xb950's? I can't find any frequency response graphs for them. But I guess they probably have completely rolled off highs and higher mids. Exactly what I'm asking for :D

Back