Batcomputer 3 Build

pjaank

[H]ard|Gawd
And the SFF build is underway! Naming it the Batcomputer 3 as it's the 3rd AMD iteration I've built now - Slot A to Socket A to AM2. Anyways, these are the build components:

- Abit NF-M2 nView
- Ultra Microfly MX6 w/ 600w PSU
- Athlon X2 4000+ w/ stock HSF
- 1 GB (512 X2) Corsair PC800 (dual channel)
- Samsung SATA DVD +-R
- Seagate Barracuda 320 GB SATA HD
- XFX GeForce 7600GT 256 MB
- XP Pro

Right now the HD is formatting. Things went together smoothly, for the most part. Has a brief panic moment when the zif socket arm seemed to take more force than I expected to lock the CPU in place. Oh, and it was a snug fit sliding the mobo tray back in when it came to sneaking the vid card in under the PSU.

The only true snafu (knock on wood) is w/ the SATA power connector. The PSU only came with one power lead that had two SATA connectors on it. But the DVD and HD aren't close enough in the case to make use of it. So, for the moment, the case is open and the HD is on top of the optical drive. A trip to Fry's in the morning should solve those power woes.

I've taken some pics along the way, and once I've got it all buttoned up I'll get them posted up somewheres.

Looks like an Identical system to me. I just have more HD space, and and an 8800GTS:p But that looks like quite an upgrade though. Congrats man.

Heh, thanks everyone. Yeah, it is quite an upgrade. Can't wait to get into CoH with it! Currently got the rest of the HD formatting (allocated 20 gig for windows, and the remainder is formatting now). Then comes the fun of installing all of the apps, and getting all the files copied over.

Alrighty, here's some pics I posted up in the SFF Gallery as well. I'm going to have to figure out a better way of managing the cables on the inside.

Ok, gang, methinks I need some help. Today, I was playing some CoH at lunch, and suddenly had a siren-like beep-code coming from my compy. Did some digging around online, and it seems that that is a temp or voltage warning.

Now, I know this board can't read the temp correctly on the Brisbane. Abit EQ reports around 55-60 right now (shut it down for a bit), CoreTemp reports between 17-22 C per core. Sys temp is reported around 33 C, and the thermistor in the Ultra case, which I have stuck in the fins of the HSF, reports 28 (now). It did report around 34 at the time of the siren.

So, am I just a victim of the bad temp reading in this BIOS, or do I have something to really worry about? It's the OEM HSF on the proc, affixed with AS5. Things have ran great so far, I have had a lockup or two while running CoH (running w/ the dual core switch flipped on in it).

Thoughts, comments, etc, are appreciated. Thanks!

Its a bad temp reading. If this is fact a brisbane core, you have nothing to worry about. I have high ambients and my X2 3600 idles at 60+C when O/Ced, but its 100% stable. Nothing to worry about. You may want to track down the Stock Opteron 4 heatpiped 939 heatsink. Its quite a good heatsink. I have one with a silverstone 92mm Blade fan in a 80mm mounting frame. Probally one of the few decent heatsink to fit in the microfly with modifacation to the case.

So, did you just turn off the warning in the BIOS, then? On the Opty HSF (not sure if I really need to change out), did you mean to say without modification?

Well there is about 74mm of clearlence for a heatsink to fit in the Ultra Case. If you are O/Cing this is probally the best heatsink you can buy that will fit. And yes I turned my bios shutdown etc... off.

Just a quick update. Ran OCCT last night. First pass locked in 10 mins for some reason (but also had some other utils running). Rebooted, ran it for half hour, passed just fine. Ran Memtest86+ for 4 passes, no errors.

Played some CoH today, CoreTemp reported max temps of 40C, generally hovered around 33-35. So, maybe the box didn't like having to work when it raining outside or something :D

Back