Batman:AA for the PC, or get PS3?

Gemini1706

n00b
I downloaded Batman: AA demo PC version, and suddenly I became a graphics wh*re

That game is GORGEOUS, playing at 1920x1200 on 24 inch monitor.. WOW. Gameplay and suspense/predator mode is really cool.

BUT, I am also itching to buy PS3 slim after the price drop.

Should I get it for PC and forget PS3 at all (I was always a PC gamer), or PS3 version would be comparable?

BTW, for PS3, my TV is a Sony HD Tube (Trinitron) that can do 1080i, but not 1080p, is this a problem for PS3?

I see lots of discussion online about PS3 graphics not as good as even xbox, but would be that noticable on my 36" 1080i tube?

I am itching to burn money
But do not want to get PS3 and be dissappointed by really bad jaggie graphics ...etc.

OMG, I hate myself, I am becoming a graphics wh*ore already
I used to be RTS guy, gameplay guy, but now I AM a G-WH*RE

Should I buy PS3 and get Batman on it? or will be disaapointed with graphics and get PC version instead?

I like the idea of playing on the couch with minimum setup effot, that is why I am thinking of PS3.

-Gemini

PNY 8800 GTS 320MB
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Watts Quad
Antec Nine Hundred Case

Stock cooling @ 28C idle, 54C Ortho Load for 10 hours

All I can say is PC graphics on this > any console version. However it sounds like you really want to play it on the couch. So.....

Nothing wrong with being a graphics whore sometimes man!!! You could always just buy it for PC and spend that money that you would have spent on a PS on a hookup to your TV and wireless mouse/keyboard or even a 360gamepad.

I really like this game, I have it for PC only. My ONLY gripe...you cant change your key bindings. Lame shit.

The game plays rather well on the PC using a 360 gamepad or even the PS3 pad (using hacked drivers), so there isn't much reason to get the console version if you have a good PC...which it seems like you do. The main thing to remember is that the console versions are both 720p. You can take your PC version, set it to 720p (1280x720) and crank the details much higher than the console versions have. Try hooking your PC up to your TV...even for just a few minutes. All you need is a DVI to HDMI adapter ($15) and some way to hook up sound...the easiest just being RCA audio cables.
The only reason I'd get this particular game on a console would be if your PC sucks or there's no way to hook it up to your TV. In those cases, the PS3 version is still good.

I second the idea of hooking up your TV to your pc if you wanna couch lounge it from 10ft away. For me, I've found it way more enjoyable/relaxing playing on my x360 gamepad (can be found here with the wireless receiver). If your really into it, get/use another nVidia card to do some power house Physx's on there. I'm running my physxs on high, and though it doesn't make/break the game, it really creates the mood (ie fog, etc), at least for me. Often times I find myself stopping to simply look around at the amazing scenery.

*edit, to add to the above post, here is a 10ft HDMI to DVI cable for $5...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well your real question is do you want the ability to play as Joker which is exclusive to the PS3. ;)

But me: PC.

You know what, the PC to TV discussion just gave me an idea, just without the TV :)

I can just buy the wireless controller and put a couch instead of chair at my PC desk, that would give me the best of both worlds, with 24" monitor, not bad at all

Thanks for the suggestions.

What do you guys think? Good idea? bad?

No TV at all, just my 24" monitor?
Maybe I cannot sit too far, but a few feet should be enough for me to have a relaxed feeling :)

-Gemini

PNY 8800 GTS 320MB
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Watts Quad
Antec Nine Hundred Case

Stock cooling @ 28C idle, 54C Ortho Load for 10 hours

Windows 7 64-bit

Yup, a 24" monitor + a wireless controller should work well. I played through GTA: San Andreas that way...but with only 19". For me, it's just easier to relax when you're not sitting at a desk with the monitor a foot away.
RPG's (like Dragon Age) aren't too friendly for this because of their font sizes, but games like Batman or Need For Speed will work great.

That configuration will definitely work. Clearance yourself with enough room to kick your feet up and your golden.

The PC copy is a rather good port. My only issue is the cutscenes are videos :( Id get ps3 just for joker.. hes fun in the challenge rooms.

You know what, the PC to TV discussion just gave me an idea, just without the TV :)

I can just buy the wireless controller and put a couch instead of chair at my PC desk, that would give me the best of both worlds, with 24" monitor, not bad at all

Thanks for the suggestions.

What do you guys think? Good idea? bad?

No TV at all, just my 24" monitor?
Maybe I cannot sit too far, but a few feet should be enough for me to have a relaxed feeling :)

Even better idea, put your PC in between the couch and TV.
This is what I do for gaming, my PC monitor is on my right for web browsing.
The 360 controller is great, the Razer Deathadder mouse is superb for sofa use without a mousemat.

I think you already answered your question.

"I downloaded Batman: AA demo PC version, and suddenly I became a graphics wh*re

That game is GORGEOUS, playing at 1920x1200 on 24 inch monitor.. WOW. Gameplay and suspense/predator mode is really cool."

As for gaming on the couch. It is a positive reason console gamers like to use every time there is a pc vs console debate. Well I own them all and I enjoy my games more on my PC sitting on my comfy office chair in my bat cave vs my consoles on the big screen. I just don't "get into the game" kicking back on the couch.

I'm not sure if it has been fix but the ps3 can't play games at 1080i unless the game was made to be played in 1080i. It will automatically drop to 720p and some older tube HDTV tv didn't support 720p. I am not sure if that got resolved yet but something you should look into.

Back