Battery powered external dvd drive

NeO529

Limp Gawd
I want to make my external dvd drive battery powered so I can use it with my laptop when access to an outlet isnt possible. What do you guys suggest the best way to approach this would be?

Would it be possible to use USB power during that time?

Maybe be able to mod it to use something like this:

Cab-USB-YBlack.jpg

You're going to run into two major stopping points here.

1. The drive has to require 5 volts or less
2. It also cannot use any more htan 500mA of current

Even if you were to connect two ports in series you will still be limited to only 500mA at 10 volts. If you have to have something that runs entirely off the data cable, you're better off with a 6-pin firewire device.

Battery powered sure. Then you're only limited to whether your drive needs 5v or 12v.
Look for a laptop DVD drive to USB enclosure if possible. They usually need only 5v and you can wire up a battery pack that would plug into the case instead of the AC Adaptor.

a resistor would be difficult to use because you would need to know the resistance of the drive in order to make a proper voltage divider...you would probably be better off using a opamp circuit...thats assuming you end up needing 5v though

TheCzar said:
a resistor would be difficult to use because you would need to know the resistance of the drive in order to make a proper voltage divider...you would probably be better off using a opamp circuit...thats assuming you end up needing 5v though

I don't reckon it'd be that hard to measure with a good Ohm meter. At least if I remember my Voltage Diver diagrams and calculations correctly.

Back