Battlefield 2 General AGP card performance. (Try tweaking your AGP aperture size)

^^It just doesn't need it. There is a decreased need by the bus/interface being duplex and not shared. Probably a relaxed need for scheduling such things IMO (opinion like half guess, it's not fact). It's missing because it doesn't work the same way I guess. AGP and some of it's nuances came out of necessity rather than a natural evolution. Heh... sometime it's nice to have things before you need them.

For those with less than 1GB of RAM, I found that setting the priority of BF2.exe to AboveNormal made a noticeable improvement in gameplay. Just make a .bat file in the same directory and put this in it:

start /AboveNormal BF2.exe

Then run that .bat file instead of the normal shortcut. I also tried setting it to High, but that did not have any improvement over AboveNormal, so I'd leave it at that.

Just thought that might help some people.

texuspete00 said:
^^It just doesn't need it. There is a decreased need by the bus/interface being duplex and not shared. Probably a relaxed need for scheduling such things IMO (opinion like half guess, it's not fact). It's missing because it doesn't work the same way I guess. AGP and some of it's nuances came out of necessity rather than a natural evolution. Heh... sometime it's nice to have things before you need them.

Yeah, pci-e doesn't have any strange options like fastwrites or sideband addressing or agp aperature because pci-e wasn't a cheap hack. AGP was originally a quick and dirty hack on the pci bus to try and address the graphics bandwidth issue at the time, and was never really intended to be permanent and long lasting. As such, it has some kinda ghetto hacks built in. pci-e doesn't have these kinds of issues...the fact that the bus is full duplex accounts for a lot of the difference.

i'm just amazed there are people who have NOT been running 256 aperture in the first place

Well not that I didn't know about the aperture but this did clear up some cloudy thoughts i might have had. Or was it that horrible jerry springer show i watched last night. Oh well.... thats enough of that.

weebling1 said:
i'm just amazed there are people who have NOT been running 256 aperture in the first place

Because most games today still don't care for 256MB AGP Aperture.
And as I don't game BF2, so I still have no need for a 256MB AGP Aperture.

Terra - Running with 64MB AGP Aperture...untill the time I need more or go PCI-E...whatever comes first :)

you do know that AGP aperture setting doesnt "steal" memory from your system?

As a general rule on any AGP System I built Aperture was set to 1/2 Main system memory

Ruffy said:
you do know that AGP aperture setting doesnt "steal" memory from your system?

Yup.

As a general rule on any AGP System I built Aperture was set to 1/2 Main system memory[/QUOTE]

Rojakpot - AGP Aperture Size

Some quotes:

• Please note that the AGP aperture is merely address space, not actual physical memory in use. Although it is very common to hear people recommending that the AGP aperture size should be half the size of system memory, that is wrong!

• It is recommended that you keep the AGP aperture around 64MB to 128MB in size, even if your graphics card has a lot of onboard memory. This allows flexibility in the event that you actually need extra memory for texture storage. It will also keep the GART (Graphics Address Relocation Table) within a reasonable size.

Terracide - That "golden rule" is a uneeded rule in most cases...so 1 game benefits...big deal...

Wow I was sceptical but it actually works!!

I just want to thank the person who started this thread and those who confirmed it because I am upgrading my agp card from 9700pro to x850 xt and if I didn't change it from the default 128 to 256 I wouldve had poor performance in bf2 and other games.. Now I understand why BF2 was screwing up so bad for me, I was thinking it was either my comp or my creative x-fi gamer card

weebling1 said:

Yeah, it was always said you should go up to half your ram, or 256 maximum. So seeing as how we are all running at least 512mb, aperture should have been 256 for awhile now. Half may have been a bit high. But if you had a gig at least, which I think is the majority of H'ers (or at least those playing BF2), should have been 256 all along. Well, who knew that advice would come in handy as it only made a few licks differnce in the past. But I sure did it when I was running AGP. Think since my KT333. :)

The end result matters most. People are happy, they may have missed it. Issue just ended up being compounded by the fact that I guess per the latest sticky, it actually isn't a geek(few 3d marks) kind of thing in this instance. So for that the "discovery" desrves credit. I remember the rojak pot article linked, but hey, not a requirement to play BF2. Thats what forums are for. :) Some may have missed it, but H'ers are here to remind you, or to repoke others that it actually mattered, could be felt, for once.

Yeah, hey...I miss those fun toys to play with. How bout for pcie? I've noticed some options in my board to change with regard to pcie, but don't quite understand them. Also, what about pcie speed? 100's spec, but would differing speeds do much?

It worked for my friend who kept bitching & moaning to me (since I'm the guru, and he's a noob).... "Chris, why can't I play..... you said if I upgraded to 1Gb with my 6800nu I should be able to play...." *cry, cry, cry *

:)

It minimized the 360 thing for him. He said he still gets a little of that... but I think its just general lag, b/c of his older CPU (2.53) & mobo (845).

edit: what happened to STICKYness. This thread deserved to be STICKY'd a little longer with all the BF2 players around here.

Back