BattleField 2 Worth It?

Lt.Doomsday

Limp Gawd
trying to look around for a new PC game.
i was thinking about getting BattleField 2,but i like to hear the options of people that have bought the game.

is it worth it or should i get something else?

There are fanatics who love it. And there are people who hate it (though I think most of them really hate EA). I think its a great game. But don't take my word for it. Read the reviews in game magazines and web sites, they generally give BF2 very good ratings.
If you like FPS games, and like being able to do lots of different things, and being able to play online with 64 players, I think you will enjoy BF2.

BF2 gets my vote. My favorite game the last 3 years. Like Glimmer said just check around for the reviews and be prepared to do a little "tweaking" and/or troubleshooting with the game. Just remember the word 'default' until you get the game running. :D But seriously don't be scared of it. It's awesome!

I personally hate it. Its a fun game to play at lans, and just go over the maps in a squad and rack up points... but besides that I never play it. I'm just sick of war games and it doesn't interest me at all... didn't really bring anything new to the table for me. I was much happier playing Desert Combat.

BF2 is the best at what it offers, which is squad-based FPS gaming with vehicles.

When it is good, it is REALLY good. Then again, when it sucks, you're liable to be throwing your mouse across the room and cursing a blue streak.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
BF2 gets my vote. My favorite game the last 3 years. Like Glimmer said just check around for the reviews and be prepared to do a little "tweaking" and/or troubleshooting with the game. Just remember the word 'default' until you get the game running. :D But seriously don't be scared of it. It's awesome!

Do you have a time machine? (if so I have a sports almanac, maybe we can work somethin out)

OP: BF2 is the only game I have purchased in the last year which still holds my attention. It is a love hate relationhip and not because of the bugs people complain about. It is one of those games where you will catch me screaming at my computer because I get competitve. It is a great way to get carpal tunnel too!

J-Mag said:
Do you have a time machine? (if so I have a sports almanac, maybe we can work somethin out)

OP: BF2 is the only game I have purchased in the last year which still holds my attention. It is a love hate relationhip and not because of the bugs people complain about. It is one of those games where you will catch me screaming at my computer because I get competitve. It is a great way to get carpal tunnel too!

Umm... In the last three years I haven't played a game that has been more fun than BF2.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I love BF2, I use to play computer games a few years back, then I switched to xbox and played that all the time. Once I tried bf2, I fell in love and built the comp in my sig, just for bf2. I was planning on just upgrading my graphics card, but I didnt want to spend money on an agp card, since they are outdated, so I built a new machine just to play 1 game. So yes, this game is worth every penny.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Umm... In the last three years I haven't played a game that has been more fun than BF2.

Ahh, now it makes sense and I would have to agree with ya. Although Desert Combat was damn fun too.

J-Mag said:
Ahh, now it makes sense and I would have to agree with ya. Although Desert Combat was damn fun too.

Dude I never played DC. :( Was that a mod or expansion pack for BF1942? (I never played BF1942 either)

BF2 all the way. I'm a BF2 addict, I can't live without this game... every time I get pissed at it (and you will to, believe me) I always come back few days later.. It's one of those games that has your attantion for quite some time... I was like meh when I started playing it, it takes some time to getting used to, it is a great game overall and worth the money.

the getting pissed part is because you're playing against other people (obvsioulsy) not some stupid bots.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Dude I never played DC. :( Was that a mod or expansion pack for BF1942? (I never played BF1942 either)
greatest and biggest mod in BF1942 history... BF1942 brings back a lot of memories too

WhyYouLoveMe said:

It was a mod for 1942. Although, bf2 is way better if you like playing with infantry. For most DC maps, if you didn't use a vehicle you are not going to get anywhere and die alot more.

Can anyone explain the ranks and stuff to me. I get owned all the time in the game. Just started playing it and had it for a month. Oh yea it does suck to get running, beside finding a stable server and map loads it takes me 5 minutes to load up and get into a game.

it will give you solid fun for a few months... but imo gets old thereafter.

I liked it so much I went out and got 3 copies of the game and 2 exp packs. :D
bf2sf.jpg

WARNING ABOUT BF2

You will lose your social life to this game.

When it first came out I was playing for 2 to 4 hours a day, not counting the weekend. When I get home @ 7:00 pm I would sit down and play till Midnight or later.

This game is easy to enjoy and Patch 1.2 has fixed a lot of the things that use to piss people off, so a new comer wont even know what was bad before.

roaf85 said:
Can anyone explain the ranks and stuff to me. I get owned all the time in the game. Just started playing it and had it for a month. Oh yea it does suck to get running, beside finding a stable server and map loads it takes me 5 minutes to load up and get into a game.

I believe this site will give you MORE than enough info to catch you up on all things BF2. :D

http://wiki.bf2s.com/Home

The only way you're going to enjoy Battlefield 2 is if you have a PC that can run it fairly decently. It doesn't really run that well on anything lower than a 6800GT/x800pro, so it's not fun 2 play.

BF2 is an awesome game, cant really think of any other shooter that can deliver what it does currently (until the BF2 killer quake wars is released) Im not really into the stats but I like being able to choose different unlocks when you rank up, it kinda refreshes things for me.
when I first started playing this I pretty much played medic exclusively because i loved playing medic in rtcw, but now I play every class depending on what my squad/team is doing.

i just played the demo for a little bit...........

i'm gonna pick it up this weekend when i get the cash.

I didn't like the game much when I first started playing because I would get killed constantly even though I was spraying bullets into opponents. Turns out that after I got my first unlock (G3) I was actually able to kill things a little more regularly. Definitely made the game loads more fun. Just about every unlock seems like a worthy upgrade. My next will be for anti-tank, since the basic machine gun isn't too accurate or powerful.

http://bf2s.com/player/TL1170/

I just need to remember to actually join a squad more often. Having a roaming spawn point on your squad leader is a lot nicer than having to spawn away from the action and try to make it there without dying.

Lately I've been whoring using the medic kit. I'm close to getting the Staff Sergeant and then I should be able to get my anti-tank unlock.

Tim

MasterOfNone said:
I didn't like the game much when I first started playing because I would get killed constantly even though I was spraying bullets into opponents. Turns out that after I got my first unlock (G3) I was actually able to kill things a little more regularly. Definitely made the game loads more fun. Just about every unlock seems like a worthy upgrade. My next will be for anti-tank, since the basic machine gun isn't too accurate or powerful.

http://bf2s.com/player/TL1170/

I just need to remember to actually join a squad more often. Having a roaming spawn point on your squad leader is a lot nicer than having to spawn away from the action and try to make it there without dying.

Lately I've been whoring using the medic kit. I'm close to getting the Staff Sergeant and then I should be able to get my anti-tank unlock.

Tim

which team is for the G3 unlock?

lets put it this way. I received the game as a gift for christmas and one of my friends saw it and took it and i havent see it since. He has been playing it since christmas everyday every chance he gets. So go figure. And i feel so sorry for him that i dont want to take it away. I will though because he is just way to addicted to the darn thing.

noobman said:
The only way you're going to enjoy Battlefield 2 is if you have a PC that can run it fairly decently. It doesn't really run that well on anything lower than a 6800GT/x800pro, so it's not fun 2 play.

Runs just fine on my BFG 6800OC. I have plenty of fun with BF2; I just can't play as much as I'd like to.

busta_cap said:
Runs just fine on my BFG 6800OC. I have plenty of fun with BF2; I just can't play as much as I'd like to.

Ditto with a 6600GT here. Haven't been had broadband for a while so I haven't played much lately, but when I can it's a blast.

Not sure if it's been fixed, but I turned the shadows on the game to low, basically because they looked like gritty dog ass. As a trade off I can play at 12x10 with AA. Still one hell of a looker.

-pig

Chow said:
I love BF2, I use to play computer games a few years back, then I switched to xbox and played that all the time. Once I tried bf2, I fell in love and built the comp in my sig, just for bf2. I was planning on just upgrading my graphics card, but I didnt want to spend money on an agp card, since they are outdated, so I built a new machine just to play 1 game. So yes, this game is worth every penny.

Awesome. A purist. A thoroughbread. YOu should be promoted to Hard Gawd immediately IMO.

I too, have enjoyed quite a bit of BF2, and to a lesser extent in sheer playtime, Special Forces. But I've really slowed down lately, however not because of the game. Just a phase or something. Or I could be done with it kinda... wating for the next big thing. I haven't played much since the most recent patch that made so many changes.

best dam game hands down. im addicted......i have no life now...im late to work everyday....i need help....please save me......

venomous35 said:
best dam game hands down. im addicted......i have no life now...im late to work everyday....i need help....please save me......

Okay here you go: get to work on time! You need money for bandwidth and hardware.

Remember, the bums will always lose!

I haven't cared for BF2 nor its predecessors, but contrary to an early post, I don't detest EA Games. Hell, I have BFME 2 and I enjoy that.

The simply physics and models took away from the gameplay experience for me. Or is it perhaps that I seldom game anymore?

Dark Assassin

venomous35 said:

Where do you live?

Great game. In the 7-8 months since its release, I have lost more than a few days...

noobman said:
Not really, before I had this setup (my sig) I played on 9800 pro and it ran nicely on med settings I was only limited due to RAM... 1 gig a must

noobman said:

Not true. a friend of mine plays on a P4 3.2 with a crappy 5300, and has a blast.

I would say BF2 is worth it. If you have a Sam's Club or Costco (and you're a member), you can find it cheaper at 43 to 44 bucks. I haven't really seen it go on sale much cheaper than that.

I have a friend that runs it fine with a P4 2.8 and 9600xt (an old dell with RDRAM). It doesn't look anything as good as on my setup in my sig but I was surprised how well it did run.

However, a big factor of if you think the game is worth it, IMO, is the server you're on. Some stuff like basecamping and spawnkilling are pretty rampant on some servers. Also, the attitude of some the armchair "warriors" is laughable.

I actually like the BF2 Special Forces add-on better as it adds a zip line and grappling hook to add to the game. I bought BF2 and Special Forces at the same time back in December and actually didn't start playing the regular BF2 maps until last month.

NACZ3 said:
I have a friend that runs it fine with a P4 2.8 and 9600xt (an old dell with RDRAM). It doesn't look anything as good as on my setup in my sig but I was surprised how well it did run.

That is what I was running when I first got the game and it ran pretty good. up the ram to 2gigs and it loaded faster and played smoother, bought a used 6800nu and unlocked it and it played a bit better.

I did a test and ran it at 800x600 with everything set to low and the game looked like a totally different game.

This is pretty much the only FPS game I play right now. It is the only FPS game that keeps me coming back for more in the last 4-5 years. It has a great blend of realism / arcade. The pubs can get frustrating sometimes, but the competitive ladder play is intense and fun!

just installed it and the latest patch.

i'll be playing online later tonight,right now i have to dismantle my ps2 again.

Back