Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Wow. I'm so fucking disapointed in these new maps right now. I get 20 to 30 fucking FPS with a 6970 on gulf of oman, 1920x1080 with mixed ultra settings...WTF.

Yea I noticed that also, went from 90 to 60 now the new maps, but the destruction is turned up from the looks of it..

All these "I want a refund' posts are a complete waste of space on the forums' database server. Once you bought the game, the license is yours. There is no such thing as buyers' remorse when it comes to digital downloads. I recall having a few fights with the Brits about that, as they appear to have some sort of buyers' protection.

Wow. I'm so fucking disapointed in these new maps right now. I get 20 to 30 fucking FPS with a 6970 on gulf of oman, 1920x1080 with mixed ultra settings...WTF.

Leave terrain and textures on ULTRA
shadows - medium
terrain decoration - low
mesh - low
effects - medium
motion blur - off
msaa - off
post AA - low

that should give you huge boost and keep the game looking decent.

The download is automatic once you log into Battlelog. I got the Karkand DLC nearly a week ago. If it's still not showing up, go harass the company you bought the game from.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1038143449 said:
Leave terrain and textures on ULTRA
shadows - medium
terrain decoration - low
mesh - low
effects - medium
motion blur - off
msaa - off
post AA - low

that should give you huge boost and keep the game looking decent.

I'M SORRY my rage was premature. I swapped to 12.1 right before I went to sleep and forgot to fix Afterburner...my GPU was at 400mhz....now back at 1ghz shits normal again..............................................................these maps still need a bit of optimization.

I don't want a refund of the whole game just b2k so i can go back and repurchase it and hopefully it'll work this time.

Back to Karkand or the new patch is not installing for me. It says installing but does nothing?

how do the assignments work? do they just unlock during gameplay? specific map? coop?

I'M SORRY my rage was premature. I swapped to 12.1 right before I went to sleep and forgot to fix Afterburner...my GPU was at 400mhz....now back at 1ghz shits normal again..............................................................these maps still need a bit of optimization.

lol dude! u almost got me scared (at work and havnt played yet - 6970 owner as well)

My impressions from a 32 player server with conquest large maps.

Strike at Karkand should be renamed, strike at camperfest. That's all the enemy team will do. Snipers on every roof top, every corridor, every turn. Really stupid because there are 1000 different spots to camp. By the time you try to scan the area for enemies, you get spotted and dropped. It was never that bad in BF2. Prepare to have everybody using a silencer.

Wake Island is fun, but really one sided. The US has such an advantage the entire map. Once the RU team loses the airfield, its pretty much win for the US. Even with a back and forth game of caping and losing points, the RU team lost by a large margin. I think the US team starts off with too many extra tickets. Pretty much the RU team has to work a lot more if they even want to remotely win or have a really stacked team. At least in metro you can use smoke to gain ground...

Sharqi...only played it for a few minutes and haven't got to play Omen yet. Karkand is going to take some getting use to. Don't even think about taking a tank. With RPG coming from every direction its impossible. So much stuff to hide behind. The maps are very big though and look great.

There are also some map bugs where you get stuck on nothing or something that makes you /facepalm and think really I got stuck on that. Will have to try 64 player but I would imagine that being even more chaotic.

My impressions from a 32 player server with conquest large maps.

Strike at Karkand should be renamed, strike at camperfest. That's all the enemy team will do. Snipers on every roof top, every corridor, every turn. Really stupid because there are 1000 different spots to camp. By the time you try to scan the area for enemies, you get spotted and dropped. It was never that bad in BF2. Prepare to have everybody using a silencer.

Wake Island is fun, but really one sided. The US has such an advantage the entire map. Once the RU team loses the airfield, its pretty much win for the US. Even with a back and forth game of caping and losing points, the RU team lost by a large margin. I think the US team starts off with too many extra tickets. Pretty much the RU team has to work a lot more if they even want to remotely win or have a really stacked team. At least in metro you can use smoke to gain ground...

Sharqi...only played it for a few minutes and haven't got to play Omen yet. Karkand is going to take some getting use to. Don't even think about taking a tank. With RPG coming from every direction its impossible. So much stuff to hide behind. The maps are very big though and look great.

There are also some map bugs where you get stuck on nothing or something that makes you /facepalm and think really I got stuck on that. Will have to try 64 player but I would imagine that being even more chaotic.

LOL. It's not camping, it's being tacticool!

LOL. It's not camping, it's being tacticool!

I rarely complain about camping because most of the time when people complain about campers they arent. They are just waiting for you go by because they saw you eariler or was spotted, etc. But in this game there are certain spots that make really good defending areas because of the height advantage. They see you first because you stand out against the background where you have to scan the area to find them. And they will sit there the entire map. Normally I would go a different direction but there isnt because there is a nice wall. :rolleyes: I mean its not really bad, but can be annoying.

Im sure with time Ill learn the map more but you pretty much have to change your play style. Stick to the sides, duck in between the buildings etc. Go back to CS basics where you check every corner lol.

the QBB-95 is a very nice LMG still need 34 suppress kill assists for my MG36, but the QBB-95 fit my need for now. the only problem; I'm trying to not kill but to supress them for my mg36...

i'm not too fond of achievements like getting suppression assists. it is counter intuitive to what your actual goal is in a match. i suppose all it really does is just force you to use the weapon to grind it out. using team work to get achievements is fine, but trying to team up with a squad mate to have him finish off someone you suppressed is a little lame

I rarely complain about camping because most of the time when people complain about campers they arent. They are just waiting for you go by because they saw you eariler or was spotted, etc. But in this game there are certain spots that make really good defending areas because of the height advantage. They see you first because you stand out against the background where you have to scan the area to find them. And they will sit there the entire map. Normally I would go a different direction but there isnt because there is a nice wall. :rolleyes: I mean its not really bad, but can be annoying.

Im sure with time Ill learn the map more but you pretty much have to change your play style. Stick to the sides, duck in between the buildings etc. Go back to CS basics where you check every corner lol.

camping is when people are hiding or sticking way back instead of fulfilling objectives. If youre defending an MCOM and a capture point youre not going to be sitting out in the open

There was something just amazing about running around those oh so familiar maps. But at the same time they also felt so different, loving this.

It may be just me but I hate the new maps. They feel really underwhelming and I already want to go back to the stock maps.

It is a good purchase. Maps are way better than in the main game.

I'm struggling with this idea still. The game has been out a little over a month, and they are already releasing refurbished BF2 maps, and charging $15 for them. I actually feel alienated since all my favorite servers are currently playing maps I cant play.

$15 isn't really that much to me, I just cant decide if I want to support this or not

It may be just me but I hate the new maps. They feel really underwhelming and I already want to go back to the stock maps.

Other way around for me, but I'm still not into it. Not as addictive as previous BF games, especially when the sever crashes when your actually having fun.
BtK definitely has more a PC feel and look to it.

I've definitely seen a framerate drop in the new maps. In very heavy action on 64 player maps I definitely had some noticeable stuttering that affected my ability to return fire.

I only got to play a few rounds and managed to unlock the famas, g53, and just a few kills away from whatever the support QB gun is. The jury is still out, but it was a mostly positive start. I agree that there are so many locations to be shot from (rooftops, windows, alleys) on some of the new maps which led to some moments of frustration, but I like that it forces you to be careful and work as a team. Once we get a better feel for the maps and where to avoid when moving from X to Y, it'll feel less "campy".

i'm not too fond of achievements like getting suppression assists. it is counter intuitive to what your actual goal is in a match. i suppose all it really does is just force you to use the weapon to grind it out. using team work to get achievements is fine, but trying to team up with a squad mate to have him finish off someone you suppressed is a little lame

the problem is they are only few peoples who want to play as a team, and thanks tDice, we are not equip to play as a team, NO VOICE CHAT

Played a little bit when I got home today. Only got into Wake. Like it. I think I will only be playing these maps now as I find the stock BF3 maps pretty lame other than Caspian. I only play 64 CQ btw.

3 games in a row that I have crashed to desktop... Anyone else having issues tonight?

seems to be happening on the new maps only....

Last edited:
Had some stuttering, flickering, and a few times I seemed to get "stuck" on an obstacle and then suddenly seemed to transport several feet behind me from where I just came from.....

Back