Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Thanks WorldExclusive and others for the tip on the M16. For some reason, I never used the gun (other than first few ranks as Assault) and never realized its power. For some reason I had been running L85A1 which seems to have been nerfed a bit in the CQ patch.

M16A3 + RDS + Foregrip + Heavy barrel = raping people's faces at close and mid range, very accurate gun.

What are people running for engy and support? I've been trying the M27 IAR for the first time on CQ because of the faster firing rate, but keep coming back to my trusty PKP (RDS + foregip + heavy). Engy I don't know what I like, been using SG553, PP19 and shotguns.. DAO12 feels weak now (buckshot).

I use the M4 mostly for the engineer. Works reasonably well for everything. The 553 is also nice but I like the M4 a bit better. For support it kinda depends. The MG36 is pretty good all around. Kinda an "assault rifle replacement". The PKP is good for run and gun at close range, slow but very powerful.

Anyone else a wierdo like me? I won't use allied weopons when I'm running RU or WP weopons when I'm on US. I also take it as far as I won't run WP sights on NATO weopons. Guess I'm a bit toolish in that aspect. I grew up during the cold war and the thought of mixing that kind of stuff seems wrong LOL.

Anyone else a wierdo like me? I won't use allied weopons when I'm running RU or WP weopons when I'm on US. I also take it as far as I won't run WP sights on NATO weopons. Guess I'm a bit toolish in that aspect. I grew up during the cold war and the thought of mixing that kind of stuff seems wrong LOL.

I admire your authenticity, but I do not adhere to such logic. Best tool for the job in my book. Nothing toolish about either in my opinion.

For support I have been loving shotguns with slugs. SPAS, 870 or DAO. USAS just makes me feel dirty. I think it is becuase of its unique sound and everytime I hear it I think its someone streesweeping with frag rounds.

Can anyone actually explain spawn protection? I have tried the dont move look around strategy and even then, I am dead before I could have even moved or fired. Other times I see people spawn, they are moving so I put a clip into them but do zero damage and they are able to shoot and kill me, while I am shooting them. Is it a server option, sometimes off/on? Am I missing anythign or does it just roayally suck?

A lot of weapons are made by multiple companies in multiple countries and are easily sourced. Also, using an "enemy" weapon platform in enemy territory can make sense.

As for sights, most mount on a sight rail and as such are pretty universal - the selection of optics available in this game is a drop in the bucket compared to what is available IRL.

You're using a 1980s mentality in a 21st century setting.

i always run my AEK, AN & AK's with the american holo sight :)

Borrowed this from the Steam forums. I sure liked what they said. The flags are definitely more meaningful.

Quote:
In Conquest Large, Bandar Desert is stretching as far as 1,900 meters from U.S. to Russian deployment, not counting the airstrip at the very end of the ground forces combat area. This is even longer than Fushe Pass from Battlefield 2. Bandar Desert is about as wide as it is long at the middle flags – it measures 1,900 meters from the mountain base furthest from the sea all the way to the beach at the south edge of the map.

As a comparison, Caspian Border is roughly 1,100 meters between the U.S. and Russian deployments — around 800 meters difference both in width and length. Should you count the distance between your spawned jet and the enemy spawned jet, you will end up with 2,400 meters on Bandar Desert. From the closest capturable flag to the furthest capturable flag, you are looking at around 1,200 meters. For Caspian Border, the equivalent distance is just about 400 meters.
Quote:
These were a few of the major requirements that I set for Bandar Desert. It should:
*Support grand scale vehicle gameplay with freedom of movement at long range
*Provide exciting dogfight gameplay for jets in huge mountain ranges
*Contain diversity in gameplay and intensity between different themes
*Offer a great visual diversity both in terms of palette and character
*Support all game modes without compromise
*Differ from the other three maps in the expansion both visually and in gameplay (I knew what the other maps would be after initial design discussions)
Quote:
Holding different flags on Bandar Desert will keep your enemy from valuable assets like tanks, helicopters, transport vehicles, and artillery to a larger degree than on the base game maps, so don’t feel safe with just holding four flags in Conquest Large. If you hold just the town and one more flag, the enemy will still have more valuable vehicles than you have if they hold the most outpost flags, making it difficult for you to hold that majority of the flags for long.

Borrowed this from the Steam forums. I sure liked what they said. The flags are definitely more meaningful.

Quote:
In Conquest Large, Bandar Desert is stretching as far as 1,900 meters from U.S. to Russian deployment, not counting the airstrip at the very end of the ground forces combat area. This is even longer than Fushe Pass from Battlefield 2. Bandar Desert is about as wide as it is long at the middle flags – it measures 1,900 meters from the mountain base furthest from the sea all the way to the beach at the south edge of the map.

As a comparison, Caspian Border is roughly 1,100 meters between the U.S. and Russian deployments — around 800 meters difference both in width and length. Should you count the distance between your spawned jet and the enemy spawned jet, you will end up with 2,400 meters on Bandar Desert. From the closest capturable flag to the furthest capturable flag, you are looking at around 1,200 meters. For Caspian Border, the equivalent distance is just about 400 meters.
Quote:
These were a few of the major requirements that I set for Bandar Desert. It should:
*Differ from the other three maps in the expansion both visually and in gameplay (I knew what the other maps would be after initial design discussions)
Quote:
Holding different flags on Bandar Desert will keep your enemy from valuable assets like tanks, helicopters, transport vehicles, and artillery to a larger degree than on the base game maps, so don’t feel safe with just holding four flags in Conquest Large. If you hold just the town and one more flag, the enemy will still have more valuable vehicles than you have if they hold the most outpost flags, making it difficult for you to hold that majority of the flags for long.

more info from that article here: http://blogs.battlefield.com/2012/07/building-biggest-bf-map-ever/?sourceid=bf3-fb-wall-na-blogpost%3Futm_source%3Dfacebook&utm_medium=wall-post&utm_campaign=do-not-use&utm_content=blogpost
sounds like it will be a great map

Minor Weapons Complaint: Fuck they need to buff the MP5K, what a piece of turd. They need to put 5 more rounds in the magazine (or 10), and boost the hip fire accuracy.

Minor Weapons Complaint: Fuck they need to buff the MP5K, what a piece of turd. They need to put 5 more rounds in the magazine (or 10), and boost the hip fire accuracy.

sorry but its probably fine, I've MVP'd TDM with it in regular(ext mag) and HC(suppressed or ext mag).

There are some guns I simply cant do that with, it is not one of them

sorry but its probably fine, I've MVP'd TDM with it in regular(ext mag) and HC(suppressed or ext mag).

There are some guns I simply cant do that with, it is not one of them

i've had good sprees with it too but they're not the norm for me. usually i empty the mag and leave enemies at 5% health. it's a kill-assist machine for me :D

(yadda yadda just aim for the head yadda)

That is a little silly, especially in a video game environment with a virtual world.

If you want some equally silly loopholes to help you justify using other country's equipment in this game, here are a few...
1. Weapons tech is copied all the time. For example...there are several American companies that make US versions of Kalashnikov assault rifles (AK-47, AK-74, etc.) for sale here in the USA.
2. Sometimes front line soldiers pick up enemy's weapons and use them when ammunition is low.
3. Sometimes enemy weapons are captured and re-issued to special teams that are trying to keep a low profile or have plenty of ammunition while on front lines or behind enemy lines.

It sucks huge donkey dick until you get the extended mags. Once you get the extended mags you can kill 2 people with one clip in very close quarters. Even with all the unlocks, I still wouldn't bother using it anywhere outside the CQ DLC due to the huge bullet spread at anything over 10m. The weapon does have the shortest time to kill of any weapon, but it still barely beats out the P90 or MP7. The MP7 and P90 are still better overall since they have a tighter shot grouping at medium range, and their clip size (MP7 with extended mags) allows 2-3 kills per mag at close range.

Last edited:
I wish they added a full size MP5 and not the MP5K.

And I want a Galil and FAL. :p There is a huge lack of battle rifles in game. Only two if I am not mistaken.

I wish they added a full size MP5 and not the MP5K.

And I want a Galil and FAL. :p There is a huge lack of battle rifles in game. Only two if I am not mistaken.

what do you consider a battle rifle?

the UMP 45 is really a MP5 family of gun btw and its in there

teh G53 is a HK thats like a hybrid of the g36 and mp5 family

G3A3
SCAR-H

Those are the main battle rifles in the game.

I believe the G53 is just an MP5 chambered for 5.56.

The reason there's no real battle rifles is because there's no real range in this game. The maps are relatively small. If the fight took place on Caspian in the fields near the US base, that'd be the range they'd shine. But all the flags on these maps are close together, so medium range weapons work fine.

Battlefield 4 confirmed not even a year after Battlefield 3 is released.

gZjBG.png

gZjBG.png

What's funny is that you attempted to hide who your friends are when we can plainly see your name and probably be able to easily figure out b3n1dal's actual username if there was an value in putting in the time. Why the half-assed secrecy?

I also just checked the Origin site (through the app like you) and don't see the offer.

• Pre-order now to unlock three special forces units: Available after approximately 40 hours of multiplayer gameplay, these special forces will give you a tactical edge and more multiplayer options:

o British SAS Spec Ops: The SAS have served as the model for modern Special Operations around the world and have been operating in covert, low-visibility roles in non-permissive environments for decades. The SAS are experts in tradecraft acquired through extensive field experience in special reconnaissance, sabotage, snatch and grab and ambush-often penetrating their targets completely undetected.

o Russian Spetsnaz Alfa Group Heavy Gunner: The Spetsnaz utilize and employ heavy weaponry more often than most Special Operations units. They see fire superiority as a priority in any engagement and therefore excel at suppression tactics, covering fire and support for their comrades.

o U.S. Navy SEAL Sniper and the McMillan Tac-300 sniper rifle: SEAL snipers are universally feared for their innate ability to stalk, target and then peel apart the enemy from extreme distances while in total concealment. Combined with the lethal and surgical precision of the McMillan TAC-300, SEAL snipers have a devastating and demoralizing effect on those who attempt to engage them.

• Digital game soundtrack: Exclusive to the Digital Deluxe Edition.

EDIT: EA makes it a ton easier then I expected, rofl at the fail secrecy --> http://imageshack.us/f/339/capturevz.jpg/ (for some reason the embedding wont work)

Last edited:
I believe the G53 is just an MP5 chambered for 5.56.

The reason there's no real battle rifles is because there's no real range in this game. The maps are relatively small. If the fight took place on Caspian in the fields near the US base, that'd be the range they'd shine. But all the flags on these maps are close together, so medium range weapons work fine.

its a g3 scaled down with MP5 series dress as far as I can tell

there arent many battle rifles around because well, no one uses them for the most part anymore....

What's funny is that you attempted to hide who your friends are when we can plainly see your name and probably be able to easily figure out b3n1dal's actual username if there was an value in putting in the time. Why the half-assed secrecy?

I also just checked the Origin site (through the app like you) and don't see the offer.

EDIT: EA makes it a ton easier then I expected, rofl at the fail secrecy --> http://imageshack.us/f/339/capturevz.jpg/ (for some reason the embedding wont work)

I didn't take that screenshot. Also go to Genre -> Shooter and you should find it.

I didn't take that screenshot. Also go to Genre -> Shooter and you should find it.

Still stands that whoever took the SS is a fool, lol. I just checked Origin that way as well, they must have taken it down.

Something to keep in mind though is that even though its only been a year since BF3 was released, it takes a few years for them to make these games so its probably still another year to 18 months away. I say that partly because they wouldn't release BF4 before all the BF3 DLCs release and those are scheduled all the way out to March of 2013.

Additional evidence would be this snippet from BF3's wiki:
On the eve of Battlefield 3's launch, DICE told Eurogamer it was the Swedish studio's hope that it would one day get the opportunity to make Battlefield 4. "This feels like day one now," executive producer Patrick Bach said. "It's exciting. The whole Frostbite 2 thing has opened up a big landscape ahead of us so we can do whatever we want."

So assuming that they didn't start production of BF4 till a month after BF3's release (assume they took a month's vacation before gearing up for more work), that puts BF4's start date at the end of November, beginning of December. Given an 18 month window for development puts it at June/July 2013 but most likely wouldn't release till around holiday season in 2013 to ensure they don't undercut sales for BF3's final DLC, End Game, which releases in March.

So that leaves us aprox. 24 months to play BF3 and get our money's worth out of it. Break it down and for the Premium buyers, thats a little more then $4.00 dollars per month of entertainment.....15 cents a day to play the game. Most people (including myself) pay more then that to play an MMO.

And? The engine will get some tweaks but what do you expect since that was such a huge undertaking for BF3? The team will be more familiar with it and the turn around time should be significantly improved. Definitely no surprise other than that somehow people are actually surprised by this information.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like an awesome map! Can't wait to play it.

And? The engine will get some tweaks but what do you expect since that was such a huge undertaking for BF3? The team will be more familiar with it and the turn around time should be significantly improved. Definitely no surprise other than that somehow people are actually surprised by this information.

QFT. I don't get it either.

So I finally started playing BF3 after a good 6 month break, and am enjoying myself again. Is the Close Quarters DLC worth it (how are the maps)?

So I finally started playing BF3 after a good 6 month break, and am enjoying myself again. Is the Close Quarters DLC worth it (how are the maps)?

for me they're only good for the occasional break from typical BF style maps. i like the extra weapons more than the maps themselves. really looking forward the next DLC, armored kill.

From what I gathered if you even remotely enjoy run and gun gameplay, you'll like CQ. A friend of mine described some of the maps as "hectic as 64-player Metro without all the nasty chokes." I'll probably end up purchasing it at a later date since some of the maps do look really nice (visually). On the plus side you also get new guns to play with.

Operation 925 is the best of the CQ maps and Donya Fortress is the on the other end of the scale, probably the worst map in the game. I don't think I've ever played a map with worse spawn point locations.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

So what he is saying is that there is going to be more sniper fags hoping in a jet and jumping out over a point, thus removing the jet from play essentialy.

So what he is saying is that there is going to be more sniper fags hoping in a jet and jumping out over a point, thus removing the jet from play essentialy.

Im amazed at the staying power of these haters...about 8-9 months after release and they still havent filtered out.

And they say this generation has no patience.

Operation 925 is the best of the CQ maps and Donya Fortress is the on the other end of the scale, probably the worst map in the game. I don't think I've ever played a map with worse spawn point locations.

initially I liked donya but now I hate it

tried it on TDM last night, barf. never again

love the rest of them

Im amazed at the staying power of these haters...about 8-9 months after release and they still havent filtered out.

And they say this generation has no patience.

Don't forget the clowns who hop into a jeep/amtrac/etc . . . and then drive off alone, leaving their sprinting teammates behind.

=SF= Sovereign Forces Chicago IL USA

stay off that server

admin abusing priveldges to ensure raping... lots of base rape. to us, if you got near the carrier in oman you got killed by admin, banned, etc

they had guys on our side griefing all our vehicles in spawn

So my first impression of Close Quarters after a few hours...blah. All softcore servers, bunch of newbs running around spraying LMGs and DAO. Random spawn points mean you're constantly being randomly flanked non-stop. Not very enjoyable, IMO. I guess for the $15 the guns should be worth it, hopefully. Although perhaps small SQDM might be fun on CQ maps.

Back