Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes because it's so realistic for SMG's to snipe people across the map. As long as they're bursting of course..... Sorry but BC2 is nowhere near how real guns fire. If you hold down an automatic weapon, you are going to shoot all over the place. If you burst fire quickly, you will still lose some accuracy. If you take your time and line up each burst shot it should be very accurate. But the bullet should only go a certain range, based on the power of the round.

In BC2, as long as you just burst, your first shot will always be dead on. Even if the recoil shows your sights have moved off the target. Spray at point blank seems to just always miss. If you are standing in front of me, and I hold down the fire on an HMG, you are going to be in little bits. Yet BC2 seems to have such a large penalty for full auto, regardless of range, that 99% of those shots will miss. Also, bullets travel as far as the map goes, and have very little drop. When SMG's shoot as far/accurate as sniper rifles, something is obviously broken. I hope you don't really think BC2 accurately resembles how real guns fire.......

I don't think that in any game you can replicate how real guns fire without replicating how real bullets hurt a human being. Unless you do both, there will not be balance. So the guns are balanced to allow for fun interesting gameplay.

IRL you don't get shot with a 5.6mm round in the leg and keep running full sprint. You fall and, then you get shot again and die. Instead of arguing gun mechanics why don't you argue injury mechanics.

Bad Company 2 had enough realism to differentiate itself from the pack and require players to compensate for bullet drop and bullet travel, which makes it feel more realistic than other FPS titles.

I don't think that in any game you can replicate how real guns fire without replicating how real bullets hurt a human being. Unless you do both, there will not be balance. So the guns are balanced to allow for fun interesting gameplay.

IRL you don't get shot with a 5.6mm round in the leg and keep running full sprint. You fall and, then you get shot again and die. Instead of arguing gun mechanics why don't you argue injury mechanics.

Play arma 2 then. that replicates the exact above

So I guess my question on the whole matter so far is... how much horsepower will the masterpiece need in the gfx department? lol surely no one has any ideas yet, but I sure as shit hope that my planned purchase of a GTX 580 is all i need for max settings @1920*1200 :D

And just to make sure my system can handle the destructo environments in all their glory, imma get another 6GB of memory too!

So I guess my question on the whole matter so far is... how much horsepower will the masterpiece need in the gfx department? lol surely no one has any ideas yet, but I sure as shit hope that my planned purchase of a GTX 580 is all i need for max settings @1920*1200 :D

And just to make sure my system can handle the destructo environments in all their glory, imma get another 6GB of memory too!

There isn't enough information to even speculate. A 580 could blow the game away or it could be barely adequate. They really haven't made any claims about the graphics.

It's using the same engine as BC2 so I don't think the requirments will be that far off. I'm more concerned with my aging Q6600. It hasn't let me down sofar but I haven't asked it to process 64 players and destructable environments yet. Can't wait!

It's using the same engine as BC2 so I don't think the requirments will be that far off. I'm more concerned with my aging Q6600. It hasn't let me down sofar but I haven't asked it to process 64 players and destructable environments yet. Can't wait!

bfbc2 uses frostbite 1.5
where bf3 will be using frostbite 2.0 engine

Ive got about $500 set aside for a gpu upgrade, I just hope my i7 930 will be adequate to max everything for 2560x1600

i get the feeling any quad core or hexacore CPU, regardless of generation or brand will be up to task. I dont see myself upgrading my base parts for at least 3-4 years....

In theory if they actually design for DX 10/11 from the ground up, the game should be less CPU depending given the same level of technical features/effects.

I wish they released some teaser of what kind of hardware we would need for it! Im dying to know lol.

I'm sure it'll be a beast of a game when it comes out. Requirements will probably be high though.

I'm sure it'll be a beast of a game when it comes out. Requirements will probably be high though.

See thats what I think as well. But at the same time... the game needs to be able to scale to the console, so how complex can they trully make it? I mean I know the PC version is made for pc, but still... lol.

I guess im just hoping they dont make it to heavy that I wont be able to run it on high settings. lol

Sorry but Im not excited about this one anymore, its the same as BFBC2 made ofe consoles stuff. No Commander, which was a vital feature and only 4 classes. This is not Battlefield, just Call of Duty inspired game. And the maps arent that great, New York? Paris? these aren't real battlefields, what factions would ever fight in these places?

Sorry but Im not excited about this one anymore, its the same as BFBC2 made ofe consoles stuff. No Commander, which was a vital feature and only 4 classes. This is not Battlefield, just Call of Duty inspired game. And the maps arent that great, New York? Paris? these aren't real battlefields, what factions would ever fight in these places?

keep that thought to yourself until we get demo and more details

The worldwide interest in Battlefield 3 is very high so I made a summary of the most important information of the GameStar cover story (Issue 04/2011). First of all let me start with a comparison to the article Matt Bertz wrote for GameInformer. German editor Fabian Siegismund also played the demo level but describes it in another way and gives more detail to the destruction. Here is an example: when the huge building collapses during the earthquake it buries and destroys a Blackhawk helicopter. Patrick Bach says that debris can hurt characters. Important here: we are talking about the singleplayer. Not tested or confirmed for the multiplayer (Bach: "We'll see")!

Talking about the multiplayer the text contains a short summary about the multiplayer aspects editor Siegismund was able to see. I’ll give you that aspects in form of a list.

* Most important fact but most likely a typo or mistake: 32 players for the console.
* At a screen there were four classes with five slots for equipment. No further word about the details of the equipment ist given
* Siegismund says that he has seen a F-16 and a Su-27 Jet. Important here: there is a render / picture at the article that shows a F1-8 Super Hornet and not a F-16. Don’t know if this means the existence of both jets or a typo.
* Siegesmund talks about a “Replay-Function which was also included in Battlefield 2”. In our opinion he is talking about the Battlerecorder (as a function to replay whole games). His statement concerning this function: “DICE is playing around with a feasible version for BF3”. The function is not confirmed.
* Sound: DICE is working with a revised system for the sound that enables players to detect from where a vehicle or enemy soldier is coming. Every object (aka tank, helicopter has up to 80 soundchannels with different sound from different angles.
* Singleplayer: there will be Quicktime-Events where you have to push the mouse buttons to win a fight. The example here: an enemy tries to stab you with a knife and you have to defend you (knock him down / kill him).

Source: http://www.bf-games.net/readnews/10065/battlefield_3_gamestar_bericht_unter_der_lupe.html

10065_1.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

only 4 classes

good move on DICE's part
condense the niche classes down and you get more balanced classes where each one brings significant value to their team at all times
like in bf2 there wasnt much reason to be a spec ops unless you were trying to c4 enemy assets.

good move on DICE's part
condense the niche classes down and you get more balanced classes where each one brings significant value to their team at all times
like in bf2 there wasnt much reason to be a spec ops unless you were trying to c4 enemy assets.

I'm thinking they're probably going to shoot for more customization with fewer classes. It was sort of unnecessary in bf2 to have as many as they did. Of course they could just design it so you built a class from the group up rather than basing it off of 1 of 4. If its not a stat based system there's no reason that shouldn't be possible. In reality just because some one is lugging around a shorter rifle doesn't mean that person wont be wearing body armor.

Still praying for a tv missile in this one. XD

It'd be cool if they do away with floating gamertags above your character online and just place them behind the helmets of your character like they show in the shots.

It'd be cool if they do away with floating gamertags above your character online and just place them behind the helmets of your character like they show in the shots.

i don't think they could fit "Beardy VonDouchenstein" on the back of a helmet...

never liked the BF series it felt to much like a cartoon when shooting people... flying the planes was pretty cool i guess.

Noobs hanging around cars. Id blow those up in a heartbeat :p (assuming cars are destructible now)

Last edited:
Yes because it's so realistic for SMG's to snipe people across the map. As long as they're bursting of course..... Sorry but BC2 is nowhere near how real guns fire. If you hold down an automatic weapon, you are going to shoot all over the place. If you burst fire quickly, you will still lose some accuracy. If you take your time and line up each burst shot it should be very accurate. But the bullet should only go a certain range, based on the power of the round.

In BC2, as long as you just burst, your first shot will always be dead on. Even if the recoil shows your sights have moved off the target. Spray at point blank seems to just always miss. If you are standing in front of me, and I hold down the fire on an HMG, you are going to be in little bits. Yet BC2 seems to have such a large penalty for full auto, regardless of range, that 99% of those shots will miss. Also, bullets travel as far as the map goes, and have very little drop. When SMG's shoot as far/accurate as sniper rifles, something is obviously broken. I hope you don't really think BC2 accurately resembles how real guns fire.......

I'm all for weapons being closer to the realism end of the spectrum, but there comes a point where you have to consider balance above everything else, which is where your point about the range of SMGs comes in. There are a few engineer weapons which aren't really SMGs at all, for example, but are portrayed as such just as a design choice. Doesn't really bother me since it's not the biggest deal and it works. And the SMGs don't shoot all the way across the map.

good move on DICE's part

I LOVE playing Spec Ops.... sneaking past enemy tanks and blowing them up.

Screenshots look superb

No sights, so fucking what. It's early days chaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back