Battlefield 3 On a PC Make You Twice as Accurate?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The fact that this guy is twice as accurate playing BF3 on the PC versus a console isn't that surprising, is it? Have you guys played it on more that one platform yet? What are your thoughts?

But what I find surprising is that for me it's twice as accurate. (I played both sort of equally, alternating between them for the most part, so this shouldn't be about my having more experience on the game when I moved to the PC.) Other interesting things I noted in my stats: Apparently despite being less accurate, I'm better and completing objectives and getting points on the console than I am on the PC.

the last bit isn't surprising at all. Console players don't get objective based games. I played BC2 on my brother's Xbox live for a couple of hours and I played 4 rounds or so. I was the only person that ever tried defusing mcoms and me and one other guy were the only ones trying to arm the mcoms. Everyone else thought they were playing deathmatch.

anecdotal...

the gf's brother has it on both pc and ps3, says he can't play it on ps3 because people own the living shit out of him, so he plays it on console.

This is all about the control interface. The mouse is a much more precise control instrument than the joystick of a controller. I've played games on both consoles and PC and am fairly good at both. It's all about the level of control.

It's definitely because of the mouse being a much moe accurate device for aiming. I think his score per minute is higher on console because BF3 rewards points a lot faster for capturing points and reviving people and such than just straight up killing people. On consoles accuracy is lower so it's harder to kill people, meaning you generally die less often. That in turn makes gaining points for doing things other than killing easier.

Objectives are going to be easier on Console when no one can hit the broad side of a barn with a controller, so no one dies.

Duh! Although I bought it for the xbox, nothing can replace a keyboard and mouse.

I'm a PC Gamer first and foremost, however, if everyone is playing with the same control handicap, why should it matter?

Yep nothing beats the keyboard/mouse combo for an FPS game. Any console controller is basically a keyboard/mouse combo's retarded cousin when it comes to accuracy. Don't tell a dedicated console user this though. Personally I won't bother playing any FPS on a console. It pretty much sucks IMHO.

console gamers are ignorantly retarded.

Because you can go out buy it and be online within minutes. A PC takes time and half a brain to get going.

Mindless 10 year olds use console while the people who actually know what they are doing use computers.

Makes sense to me

FPS was designed for PC and people who play them on consoles are generally kids or people too poor to afford gaming computer so why would this be a surprise? Obviously a Mouse has more precision than a noobstick :p

I recently got MW2 and World at War for my sons to play on PS3. I play on my PC, rarely touch the PS3. Was helping them with some levels, and yeah - it's a lot harder for me to aim and move with the controller on a console than with keyboard and mouse on my PC. Takes some getting used to, I could see with time I would get better with the controller, but I would never be as good* as I am with keyboard and mouse.

* Good is a relative term - I suck pretty bad at with or without a mouse

Dont most/all console games employ some degree of auto-aim? I'd think he'd be most accurate there.

Dont most/all console games employ some degree of auto-aim? I'd think he'd be most accurate there.

Beat me too it, I thought they did and even with aim assist on consoles I can see the mouse winning.

I would be at my happiest for a means to play via keyboard and mouse on the 360. Why? Because I love playing on PC first and foremost, but the people I enjoy playing regularly with are family members who can't justify the cost it takes to keep up to date on PC hardware, nor do they want to deal with any issues. So for them the 360 makes more sense to have. Thing is, I hate the controller because it feels awkward in most games for me.

Few things to take from this article.

#1 Kataku has a lot of console fanboys. The first few paragraphs made is sound like he completely dismissed any claim that PC > console gaming, let alone keboard+mouse > controller. This shouldn't be something to dismiss, unless you agree PC is superior in every way.

#2 He was only twice as good on PC then console. Get the auto aim off on consoles are report back. Also, learn how to use a mouse too. The difference should be much greater then 100%.

#3 The fact that BF3 PC players can't fight along side with console gamers should be a hint. It's not just by chance that developers don't allow this to happen. They know that PC gamers are far superior to console gamers, and it would be like watching a slaughter.

Obviously (imo) mouse/keyboard is a superior control for FPS.

I think it's purely a easier hand/eye coordination thing. Its easier for the brain to move an object a certain distance in a certain direction to move an on screen item, then to judge start/stop the analog stick (which essentially does NOT move). Not to mention some games move faster the farther you push the analog stick (rather then just moving a mouse faster).

While both have some or ratio of actual movement (of controller) = Movement of targeting, the analog stick method is just more complex (more unnatural hand/eye coordination calcs).

I honestly hate when some defenders of the controller will say it takes more "skill". That's like saying it takes more skill cut a tomato with a butter knife instead of a real knife. Or golfing with 1 arm instead of 2 etc.

While yes, it probably does take more of a certain skill, why would you? You could use that time learning the extra needed skill on other aspects of your chosen game/skill.

These things always seem to become a gamepad vs kb/mouse debate...

My question always has been: what about gamepad and mouse and keyboard?

As in - mouse aim with right hand, movement with left hand thumbstick, and auxillary kb functions (chat etc). Maybe sounds odd, but feels natural to me.

That splitfish company even ran with this idea and started selling gamepads "cut in half".

Obviously mouse aim is a bit superior, but I could never do well with WASD movement, so I switched to logitech gamepad for left hand only.

A couple years ago, right after I got my PS3, I got a copy of FEAR for it and while I really enjoyed the game I was always at risk for running out of ammo, despite the fact that a scavanged every last bullet I could find.

When I was about 2/3 of the way through it Steam offered it on sale for $5 so I picked up a copy and started over on the PC and I was barely able to collect any ammo because I was almost always fully loaded, so yeah I would have to agree that I'm MUCH more accurate on a PC then a console.

Jeez a lot of console hate. I use both and enjoy both for their own reasons. I prefer to get games on the Xbox because I like the online structure and I can play with my (for back of a better word) poorer friends... I have a kick ass gaming pc (as you can see on my sig) but most of the time I'm on a console...

Honestly with games being made for consoles and ported to PC, there's really no special reason to buy it on a PC anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming... but there's really no benefit to playing on the PC anymore if they keep making ports.

It's also about framerate and resolution, graphical clarity.

I run on lowest 1080p, of course I'll spot a guy hiding in the bushes in the dark. I'm capable of turning around and accurately popping heads in closer combat with my framerate.

My buddy who just has to run Ultra with as much graphical bling and filtering as possible.. at least he's a good tank driver :3

Atleast he can get in to play. I can't get my pc copy to connect more then 1 time ever, then the game kicked me out at 5 min. Single player works great.

Another point I see that wasn't mentioned is the fact that the higher player count in the PC make sit harder to stay alive as well. When you have 24 max players, its much easier to stay alive cause you get about 80% less of those "who the fuck killed me?" deaths.

These things always seem to become a gamepad vs kb/mouse debate...

My question always has been: what about gamepad and mouse and keyboard?

As in - mouse aim with right hand, movement with left hand thumbstick, and auxillary kb functions (chat etc). Maybe sounds odd, but feels natural to me.

That splitfish company even ran with this idea and started selling gamepads "cut in half".

Obviously mouse aim is a bit superior, but I could never do well with WASD movement, so I switched to logitech gamepad for left hand only.

I no longer use a traditional kb, but a G13. Its just more comfortable and ergonomic than a flat kb. Left hand right hand is of no matter. Skill and having the more precise mouse is a shooter is always superior on a PC.

It's also about framerate and resolution, graphical clarity.

Yeah, 1080p settings on a PC aren't a console's "1080p". Xbox 360 is on what...DirectX 9?

I just checked out Forza 4 after hearing how awesome the graphics are and it's kind of a joke compared to the newer driving games on PC.

Add in the lack of quick fine control with the analog sticks on the controller and FPS games just aren't fun on consoles.

Back