"Battlefield 3 Will 'Absolutely Blow Everyone Away'"

Fredrik Liliegren said:
What the PC version is going to be, Battlefield 3, I think it's going to absolutely blow everyone away, but I can't tell you what it is, but it will blow people away.

That's why it's going to blow people away, because it's not Modern Warfare 2 PC, it's not that experience.

DICE has themselves confirmed that they've been developing Battlefield 3 for some years.

http://www.gamingunion.net/news/battlefield-3-will-absolutely-blow-everyone-away--1075.html

It's not much, but it's some news about Battlefield 3. :p

What the PC version is going to be, our next game, I think it's going to absolutely blow everyone away, but I can't tell you what it is, but it will blow people away. It's not what you think it is: it has more blowing away than you'd think. If you're here, and you see our next game, you'll be blown away such that you won't be in that place you were before, because you'll be blown away from that place, by our next game, which will blow you away. In other words, say you're at a street corner, and then this game walks up to you, and you see it, that game will say "I'm going to blow you away", and that's exactly what happens: you get blown away, off that street corner, to somewhere else entirely. Maybe to another street corner. Then you'll realize what happened: that you've been blown away, by this game.

That's why it's going to blow people away, because it's not Modern Warfare 2 PC, it's not that experience. But there will be blowing happening from here to away, or from some other place to some other place entirely (away). There wasn't that thing happening with MW2, because that game wasn't a blowing away game, but that's happening with BF3, a true blowing away game that'll blow you away.

Even though they didn't mention it in the article, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that these two features will never see the light of day in BF3. :(
That's why it's going to blow people away, because it's not Modern Warfare 2 PC, it's not that experience.

Modern Warfare 2 PC did not have dedicated servers or mods and he's saying that BF3 will not be "that experience," which is insinuating that BF3 will have dedicated servers and mods.

What the PC version is going to be, our next game, I think it's going to absolutely blow everyone away, but I can't tell you what it is, but it will blow people away. It's not what you think it is: it has more blowing away than you'd think. If you're here, and you see our next game, you'll be blown away such that you won't be in that place you were before, because you'll be blown away from that place, by our next game, which will blow you away. In other words, say you're at a street corner, and then this game walks up to you, and you see it, that game will say "I'm going to blow you away", and that's exactly what happens: you get blown away, off that street corner, to somewhere else entirely. Maybe to another street corner. Then you'll realize what happened: that you've been blown away, by this game.

That's why it's going to blow people away, because it's not Modern Warfare 2 PC, it's not that experience. But there will be blowing happening from here to away, or from some other place to some other place entirely (away). There wasn't that thing happening with MW2, because that game wasn't a blowing away game, but that's happening with BF3, a true blowing away game that'll blow you away.

holy shit this post has me cracking up :D

Modern Warfare 2 PC did not have dedicated servers or mods and he's saying that BF3 will not be "that experience," which is insinuating that BF3 will have dedicated servers and mods.

You're reading into it too much and setting yourself up for the inevitable let down. Bad Company 2 has dedicated servers but with limited features and a high cost of ownership. I expect BF3 will be the same if not even more restrictive by then.

Set the bar low.

Dedicated servers and mods are so late 90's. If they want to blow people away they need to do something a little different.

I don't think we'll ever see the return of the Battlefield series to it's true self unless someone other than EA was behind it. I'm not bashing EA here, but they're all about money, pure and simple, and...

The old battlefield model just wasn't very good;

No real single player means people are basically paying for multiplayer exclusively which means they don't just demand after sales support, they expect it. They expect official dedicated servers that are adminned 24/7 (costs money). They expect constant patches to 'fix' guns seen as problemetic (costs money). If you don't do these things, the community marks you and your game as bad and it costs money.

It's just not a realistic game model anymore. EA wants games that when they go out the door, that's pretty much the end of it. Commit to a few patches, but that's it. This is EXACTLY why dedicated servers are going to die away; it's just too much after sales support cost.

DICE have my respect with BFBC2, they've turned a console franchise (The Bad Company series) into a really good fun PC title, and they launched with a beta that has some bugs but that's what the beta is for and we've seen decent performance optimisations as well as fixes for graphical bugs, stability, gameplay and even PC user preference for things like FOV (currently promised for release)

They've also stuck with dedicated servers, although the lack of console irks me a bit it's still an amazingly well presented and executed beta so far, any faults they've come across they've fixed in a fairly timely manner.

I have no reason at this point to think that a BF3 would be anything like ModernWankfare2 by ditching dedicated servers and basically fucking players over, especially since multiplayer is their bread and butter. If they can focus on the PC as the primary development platform and bring us some nice large scale warfare like 50vs50 or more then that'd brilliant. The PC deserpately needs an answer to MAG (although planetside 2 is in development) because large scale warfare is totally do-able with todays CPU's and bandwidth it's just a case of actually getting someone to make large scale happen.

More like blowing it out yer ass. BF3 probably will be the same crap as BFBC2 which in turn was the same crap as BFBC

I swear to god you guys will bitch about anything...... There is no fucking point to host your own server in BF2 or BF3 as it will not be ranked. In BF2 you could host your own, but it will not be a ranked server. So the question is, do you guys want to play on unranked servers and get no XP for unlocks?

I'm blown away by this hilarity. LOL Awesome post. :D

I want bf3 just so i could drop some bombs on some people, i had nice 5:1 ratio as an aviator in bf2.

My hope for battlefield 3, ie what will blow us away: scale
Maps bigger than BF2 with at least 200 player games and tons of vehicles.

If it is - as I cynically expect HOHOHOHOHO - a BC2 that's been tailored specifically to the PC, that alone will be great as far as I'm concerned. If it exceeds expectations then I fully expect to be away-blown.

More like blowing it out yer ass. BF3 probably will be the same crap as BFBC2 which in turn was the same crap as BFBC

Holy shit! I didn't even realize that BFBC2 was released yet! What's conquest mode and the other maps on there like?

I'm pretty sure dice sweeden is developing bf3. I have no doubt in my mind they will raise the bar as far as the epic large scale 3dimensional warfare we've come to expect. Basically bf2/2142 on steroids with 100 or more players per server.

only when a game makes it hard for me to tell if its real or a video game will i be 'blown away'

Interesting, only in that Bad Company 2 feels a hell of a lot like what I would expect out of a Battlefield 3. If its going to be even better, bring it.

I swear to god you guys will bitch about anything...... There is no fucking point to host your own server in BF2 or BF3 as it will not be ranked. In BF2 you could host your own, but it will not be a ranked server. So the question is, do you guys want to play on unranked servers and get no XP for unlocks?

Team Fortress 2 features unlockable items and crafting. There's no shortage of dedicated servers.

As long as the server is dedicated I don't give a shit if it's ranked or not.

My hope for battlefield 3, ie what will blow us away: scale
Maps bigger than BF2 with at least 200 player games and tons of vehicles.
This, plus the destructible environments from BC2.

There should be maps that look like a small city at first, but look like the battle of Stalingrad after a round is finished.

You could host a ranked server in BF2142

I hope they keep the development PC only, but I have doubts. Console players will see we are getting a better game and will just whine. There are too many consolers that don't understand control input or hardware limitations of their system.

I hope EA understands a great PC-only experience like BF2 can sell millions.

I think they have done a really good job with bfbc2 from what ive gotten to play so i have high hopes

Team Fortress 2 features unlockable items and crafting. There's no shortage of dedicated servers.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china? There completely different games. I can see the point of hosting a ded for a few friends, but the system requirements are gonna be ridiculous, you needed a pretty fat pipe to host a Bf2 server.

I hope they keep the development PC only, but I have doubts. Console players will see we are getting a better game and will just whine. There are too many consolers that don't understand control input or hardware limitations of their system.

I hope EA understands a great PC-only experience like BF2 can sell millions.

Kind of like PC gamers whining when games don't get released on their platform?

lol did anyone bitching even read the article? He's under NDA and can't give details. He isn't being vague to fuck with anyone, he can't talk about it. Plus considering he isn't even on the project anymore and still is saying good things, I'd be happy. Why would it not be good? Even if they just re-hashed BF2 with a new engine it would be good. BadCompany 2 has only raised further expectations. If that is what they can do with a console title, then a PC exclusive is really going to be an exciting experience.

I don't think we'll ever see the return of the Battlefield series to it's true self unless someone other than EA was behind it. I'm not bashing EA here, but they're all about money, pure and simple, and...

The old battlefield model just wasn't very good;

No real single player means people are basically paying for multiplayer exclusively which means they don't just demand after sales support, they expect it. They expect official dedicated servers that are adminned 24/7 (costs money). They expect constant patches to 'fix' guns seen as problemetic (costs money). If you don't do these things, the community marks you and your game as bad and it costs money.

It's just not a realistic game model anymore. EA wants games that when they go out the door, that's pretty much the end of it. Commit to a few patches, but that's it. This is EXACTLY why dedicated servers are going to die away; it's just too much after sales support cost.
I doubt it. Multiplayer is pretty much the only game model that really sells for PC. It's the one game type that doesn't get pirated as much because you want to play on the good official servers.

I doubt it. Multiplayer is pretty much the only game model that really sells for PC. It's the one game type that doesn't get pirated as much because you want to play on the good official servers.

should be obvious no? and yet those guys just keep trying to strong arm us into fisher-price-my-first-shooter networks, "let's blast those fools back into the stone age with our awsome matchmaking skills", it's basic.

stupid devs think of it as "after sales support"

smart devs proactively generate demand for products people actually want to buy.

why make 2 games at double the price, when you can sell twice as many of one game with continued support? it's this rich mentality from the console generation that's really killing the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back