Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

^ All you need to do is add the line PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1 to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\user.cfg" (if the file doesn't exist, create it) and you've got permanent FPS counter in-game. No need for Afterburner.

Can someone tell me what the "track" on achievements actually does?

Right on the first page of Battlelog it follows your progress for the achievement, that's all it does. You can track 3 of them in total.

Since boost points are not added until the end of the map, I keep getting fucked by the crashes. I lose time on my XP boost, and get no credit for it at all. Pretty damn annoying. I have a 200% boost I am afraid to use because of this.

I DLed BC2 after not being able to even connect to a server again last night. Tired of this shit. With BC2 and BF3, at least I know I can get a round of BF in without spending an hour trying to get the fucker to work.

I tried that before as well and while it crashed less it still happened. Another nice feature of using the 32-bit exe is that you can use Afterburner to monitor things. I really wish that Afterburner supported 64-bit games.

It does, get the new beta and the beta OSD.

Since boost points are not added until the end of the map, I keep getting fucked by the crashes. I lose time on my XP boost, and get no credit for it at all. Pretty damn annoying. I have a 200% boost I am afraid to use because of this.

I was pretty pissed in the same situation because I unlocked the SUAV by getting a missile kill from the bomber on china rising maps. Of course the fucking game crashes about 10 minutes later and any record of me getting that unlock was lost, so had to do it again.

Also: I had issues when I restored my copy of BF4 after a recent motherboard upgrade, instead of redownloading 30GB I just copied over into the BF4 directory, always worked in the past. This time however, china rising got all screwed up. Battlelog refused to recognize that I owned it.

In the end - I deleted everything and redownloaded (yay for 15mbit internet) it solved it, but it's a pretty shitty way to solve it when their own repair function doesn't pick up on whatever problem it had file/structure wise.

As the base game works, I'd rather just remove China Rising completely and redownload. I will try your recommendation and post back when I can.

Are you a premium member? I was having the same problem getting into the base game once China Rising came out until I bought the stupid premium.

Has anyone had any issues with not having a mouse curser in full screen? I've been playing in windowed mode for weeks because if I go into fullscreen, my mouse icon disappears at loadout.

Secondly, during in game, my hip-fire crosshairs randomly decide to leave me.

I was pretty pissed in the same situation because I unlocked the SUAV by getting a missile kill from the bomber on china rising maps. Of course the fucking game crashes about 10 minutes later and any record of me getting that unlock was lost, so had to do it again.

I have had similar problems. Getting promoted or unlocking something in a game, it crashes and it not saving. It is a habit for me now to always cross reference my points to my Soldier page to see if it is the same as in the game. The boost points are what really piss me off. I am not a leader on the boards usually just around about top third. I don't play that much so I want all the help I can get. I have lost a few hours of boost I'm sure. Played several longish maps, only to have it crash before the ending.

I know they're working on it, but still pisses me off. And I'm still bitter about the whole Desert Combat thing. And about forcing me to use Origin. Oh well, they got what they wanted, another user on Origin and a copy of the game sold.

i've had this one happen to me, haven't had my mouse cursor disappear in the menu yet though. the hipfire crosshairs return for me on my next respawn.

I've had hipfire crosshairs disappear as well as the hit marker at the same time. Didn't come back until I joined a new server.

i've had this one happen to me, haven't had my mouse cursor disappear in the menu yet though. the hipfire crosshairs return for me on my next respawn.

What's really odd is, I've tried all the troubleshooting I've seen online. I had this same problem with BF3 too. I've never had it with any other game but BF3 and BF4. I also did a fresh format recently and STILL had the issue. Really frustrating running in windowed mode haha.

I have had similar problems. Getting promoted or unlocking something in a game, it crashes and it not saving. It is a habit for me now to always cross reference my points to my Soldier page to see if it is the same as in the game. The boost points are what really piss me off. I am not a leader on the boards usually just around about top third. I don't play that much so I want all the help I can get. I have lost a few hours of boost I'm sure. Played several longish maps, only to have it crash before the ending.

I know they're working on it, but still pisses me off. And I'm still bitter about the whole Desert Combat thing. And about forcing me to use Origin. Oh well, they got what they wanted, another user on Origin and a copy of the game sold.

Not sure why you guys keep saying you're losing all your progress when the client crashes. Are you rejoining the same server you were on when your client crash happened? If so, don't. Server crashes are the only thing that loses progress, and they are rare to nonexistent now - I havent seen a server crash in a couple weeks. As long as you dont rejoin that server you were on when you crashed, your progress gets uploaded at the end of the round.

Lastly, undo any overclocks to GPU and CPU for this game - it doesn't matter that "other games work with your overclocks" because not much else really pushes your system as hard as BF4. I had a drastic decrease in crashing once I put my GPU and CPU at defaults. I plan on ratcheting them back up eventually but its one variable you can try to eliminate temporarily to see if it helps reduce your crashes.

Lastly, undo any overclocks to GPU and CPU for this game - it doesn't matter that "other games work with your overclocks" because not much else really pushes your system as hard as BF4. I had a drastic decrease in crashing once I put my GPU and CPU at defaults. I plan on ratcheting them back up eventually but its one variable you can try to eliminate temporarily to see if it helps reduce your crashes.

Although it's true that OCing causes this game to crash, I don't believe it is because it taxes the GPU/CPU. It's because they have invalid DX instruction sets, at least that is what the error messages indicate. It's been a well known bug that even slight ocing on the GFX card in a Frostbite game can cause an unhandled exception. They just never addressed the bug.

If your system is 24hr Prime95 and FurMark/Heaven stable .. There should be no game that should cause an OC to fail.

Heck, I realized my AMD was underclocking during BF4. For some reason the game was setting the card to a low-power state of 500mhz. It wasn't thermal, just a bug. I had to manually edit (found the fix on a BF3 thread) my GFX BIOS so it didn't have the low-power state.

If anyone is getting under performing FPS #s, I'd recommend running GPUShark on another monitor and watch the active state. It might be cycling through them (that's what mine did).

Last edited:
Looks like I was able to simply delete the folder for China Rising. Redownloaded it and I successfully joined two China Rising servers. :D

This crashing thing is frustrating. So tonight the first two servers I join I crash within 10 minutes. The next server I join I play four consecutive rounds without crashing. What is this?!

Man, I had no idea the difference between high and ultra lighting would be so drastic. I've been playing on high since launch, but I realized I could bump it to ultra since my system is CPU bottlenecked. The shading is just way more natural. It's hard to notice in screens, but when you've been playing one way for so long you notice it instantly.

And for the record, today I've had one CTD and one sound loop crash.

I have yet to play on a server for 5 minutes. After having constant PB issues I now have alternating sound loop crashes and complete sound loss. Too frustrating, guess I'll go back to Dota for a while.

I have yet to play on a server for 5 minutes. After having constant PB issues I now have alternating sound loop crashes and complete sound loss. Too frustrating, guess I'll go back to Dota for a while.

I hate to say this but I think your 4.8 ghz overclock may be partly to blame. I had my 3570k up to 4.6/4.7/4.8 and although it passes all benchmarks, stress testing, and works in other games, for some reason BF4 would cause the CPU to stumble. Try bumping it down to 4.5 I bet that will help.

I hate to say this but I think your 4.8 ghz overclock may be partly to blame. I had my 3570k up to 4.6/4.7/4.8 and although it passes all benchmarks, stress testing, and works in other games, for some reason BF4 would cause the CPU to stumble. Try bumping it down to 4.5 I bet that will help.

Solid advice. I'm getting a Xonar STX in a couple weeks, so I'm going to get rid of all this Creative crap and if that doesn't help I'll drop the clock a bit.

Anyone notice that the netcode is shittier and desync are too often after the patch? I cannot have any fun due to it. Not to mention that crashing is not fixed. I seriously played for 10 hours straight not a crash. Just when you think it is not a problem anymore, it happens....such a peice of shit game.

Solid advice. I'm getting a Xonar STX in a couple weeks, so I'm going to get rid of all this Creative crap and if that doesn't help I'll drop the clock a bit.

Huh? I don't think the crash is due to creative.At least not that I have read.

Anyway, the game is more stable now but the high pingers can suck my balls. Play in your own damn country please. At least stay in the same continent ffs.

Main issue is the lack of continuity. You never know how the game is going to play round to round. Some games you nail everything and others a whole clip from 5 feet on a standng or barely moving target??? Maddening. Still could be so much fun. Hoping they get it right enough eventually.

Well I finally had enough of the buggy unstableness of the game.
Yesterday evening I ran to microcenter bought 6 more gigs of ram and win8.1 and a few other things I needed.
Installed it, cleaned my whole rig, and redownloaded BF4 premium and I have to say its, night and day difference from how it use to run on my win7 OS.
I played for 4+ hours lastnight with 4 of my buds and it was just as smooth as BF3 is. Not a single hickup or issue hardware or network wise. There was one crash but it was the server, cause we all got kicked at the same time.

Now I just need to get use to this win8 interface.

Huh? I don't think the crash is due to creative.At least not that I have read.

Anyway, the game is more stable now but the high pingers can suck my balls. Play in your own damn country please. At least stay in the same continent ffs.

Main issue is the lack of continuity. You never know how the game is going to play round to round. Some games you nail everything and others a whole clip from 5 feet on a standng or barely moving target??? Maddening. Still could be so much fun. Hoping they get it right enough eventually.

OMG, this. Last night even on the same server the hit detection was different from round to round....with a 45 ping. Could barely scrape an assault 2:1 ktd on Guilin. After the map switch to Dawnbreaker I went 7:1.

Baffling.

OMG, this. Last night even on the same server the hit detection was different from round to round....with a 45 ping. Could barely scrape an assault 2:1 ktd on Guilin. After the map switch to Dawnbreaker I went 7:1.

Baffling.

Yeah, the hit detection is still pretty bad. After a patch a while back, most deaths by sniper rifles for me have the trail going past my head by a few feet, and I walk normally for almost a full second before I hear a gunshot and die. And I only play on low ping servers like you.

In a later patch I now get lots of movement lag in vehicle servers. Again, low ping servers. I do not always get it, but I often do. My vehicles skip around which can be annoying. Sometimes my aircraft skipped into a mountain and killed me.

One of my most recurring issues is with Battlelog though. Often times I will attempt to join a server, and it will load, then exit to desktop before the map load screen shows. Battlelog will give me an error. It is an easy fix, exit the browser and turn off Origin. Load both up and join servers. But I would have thought this would have been fixed by now.

I also still get the revive bug, though it looks like grenades can now kill you. Still not gun fire.

My friend has been getting some freezes as of late to. Though luckily I have not gotten any in over a week.

On the bright side in a recent patch they finally fixed the reactive armor bug that was left over from BF3. No more extra armor for me. ;)

Also saddened that aside from only 5 weapons, there is only one new vehicle in China Rising; the bomber. Back to Karkand was nice because it was a bit more than a map pack with 10 weapons and 4 or so new vehicles.

Going to throw out more random vehicle suggestions for future DLCs:

Americans:
AH-64E attack helicopter
M2A3 Bradley AFV
UH-60 transport helicopter
OH-58 recon/scout helicopter
Stryker MGS - new role, high explosive anti infantry rounds

Russians:
KA-52 attack helicopter
BMP-3 AFV
MI-8 transport helicopter
BMD-1 - new role, high explosive anti infantry rounds

Perhaps an F-15E/Su-30 as a new two seat ground attack aircraft, though I am not sure how else you can differentiate it enough from the current aircraft.

One can dream. :p I hope we see some more vehicles, aside from new transports...

I'd like to leave a few notes for those of us playing BF4 -

After many days of working with my 965BE C3 which is overclocked to 4.140Ghz and my 570sli setup, I have come to a few conclusions:

1. Frostbite 3 is not a very good engine for fluidity, CPU spikes are frequent and take smoothness away from the game.

2. Put Lighting Quality to low, all other settings to High or Ultra, this will take away the majority of the CPU spikes. Something in Frostbite 3 with Lighting is what creates the majority of them. No other option removes so many of the CPU spikes, i.e. Field of View, Resolution, etc. Lighting Quality just seems to be buggy.

3. On a 1080p single monitor setup, users of a 570 with 1.28GB's of VRAM do not need to worry about memory limitations. Run HBAO, Ultra textures, 2x MSAA etc the most memory I have logged is 1,020 megs loaded (unless you have a bunch of other background system stuff, then you need to work on your platform) at native resolution.

4. Don't worry so much about those CPU upgrades, my 965BE is enough for this game to utilize my 570sli setup to run HBAO and a large combination of Ultra/High settings (less Lighting Quality to low to remove CPU spikes) plus 2x MSAA and my perfoverlay.graph is fairly horizontal for both GPU & CPU providing good 60fps gaming. I see rare dips into the mid 50's, other times it is 70-80fps with vsync off. - IF, you are running a 680 nvidia or a 290x AMD card, you may want to consider a more current quad-core CPU, otherwise the majority of people should be in good shape. I believe even a seasoned overclocker on an AMD X3 435 should be able to get good 60fps gaming if they manage system resources appropriately, albeit probably not at 1080p but maybe down to 1440x900 with medium settings, no HBAO/SSAO.

5. Sli setups should be welcome, GPU consistency is good, I encourage it if you have the motherboard to support it and at least a 560(ti) or better. Heck, maybe even 460's would be decent, it seems to scale very well and stutter is non-existent to me or seen in my graphs.

6. Ram speed over 1,600mhz does nothing, I've run up to about 1,840 with over-volting, it actually seems to do worse.

7. Those on Intel i5 Sandy and Ivy bridge setup, disable HT. Those on AMD systems, don't worry about C1E or Cool & Quiet, neither have any affect. Windows Reg setup for core-parking is just a topic for someone to sound smart, forget about this, the game will utilize what you provide it and in that respect Frostbite 3 does a good job (hence good FX chip results).

Happy gaming everyone, I await patches to smooth things out further, the rest is outside of our control. I hope no one minds me leaving these notes from my experience.

Last edited:
I'm on HT too but I can't disable it to find out if it helps. I've heard it increases fps to turn it off

I'd like to say a big well done to DICE on introducing the UCAV to the game.
Never has a single vehicle/weapon destroyed a game quite so much.
I'm so glad they decided to carry out stringent testing on the effects of its introduction during their fag break on Friday afternoon.
The crashes are annoying, but the sheer lack of competence with the introduction of this vehicle is astonishing.
Use this weapon/vehicle and you need never leave your spawn point ever again.
You need never suffer the humiliation of being killed ever again.
It can be done one handed, meaning with your other hand you can finger your ass or drink coffee to keep you awake.

I just came from a server playing against a guy who just used it for the whole game. Finished with 40+ kills and no deaths
I checked his stats, he has 534 skill points and is rank 110.
A total of nearly 5500 kills with the UCAV alone.

This single move has really took away my enjoyment of the game, which I have been really enjoying until now.
Also the shotguns need nerfing as too powerful.

^ I warned a DICE dev about UCAV spam several weeks before the CR DLC released. He told me "Well it's going to have the longest reload in the game". Fast forward to the DLC release and within hours some kiddies found a glitch for near infinite reloading and began posting their sw33t trololol montage videos. SMH.

That DICE dev has now stated the UCAV is getting several tweaks next week including the fix to the infinite reload exploit, I'm guessing probably Tuesday when the China Rising DLC goes live for all non-premiums. Why it takes so long for them to move on a game-breaker is beyond me, since a lot of these glitches are server-side fixes that dont require a client side patch.

Regardless, even after patches UCAV will remain a cheapshit game mechanic that only waters the game down and hurts its longevity, it adds nothing to gameplay. Just like the absurd Active Radar Missiles with infinite range that get spammed from MAA's camping their base all round. There's a guy on Battlelog with a 41.6 KDR from literally just hiding in base in his MAA round after round tapping on one button like a hamster. I know DICE is trying to cater to a target audience - namely CoD crossovers and console kiddies - but they went a little overboard on the cheap gimmicks and RC toys.

Last edited:
I could care less about the ucav. I fucking hate with a passion their idiotic blinding sun glare. It's fucking stupid and not even close to realistic.

I thought I was going to be able to play ultra at 1680x1050 with GTX780 at constant 60fps? Spec in my signature and it stutters and dips to high 30s and low 40s at times?

This crashing thing is frustrating. So tonight the first two servers I join I crash within 10 minutes. The next server I join I play four consecutive rounds without crashing. What is this?!

It's DICE jumping the shark. I think it's obvious to everyone that this game was forced out the doors by EA to compete with COD. Look at how quickly the game was discounted within a matter of weeks...that speaks volumes right there.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we see another BF title by late 2014.

The sound loop crash is independent of sound hardware. It's occurring for everyone regardless of sound configuration. It's a sound engine bug, not a hardware vendor problem.

By the way, as an Asus sound card owner, I can tell you the drivers are not magically delicious on this side of the fence either.

It's DICE jumping the shark. I think it's obvious to everyone that this game was forced out the doors by EA to compete with COD. Look at how quickly the game was discounted within a matter of weeks…that speaks volumes right there.

You mean like how quickly Bioshock Infinite, Assassin's Creed 4, Grand Theft Auto 5, and Tomb Raider were discounted? Because the same thing happened to all those games. They all had some sort of brief discount or sale a few weeks after their releases. Why is promotional pricing not indicative of anything for those games, but indicative of bad things for BF4?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we see another BF title by late 2014.

Wait, wait. They put the DLC packs on hold to fix the bugs in the core game, and you think they're still going to turn around and put out a numbered sequel 12 months after release?

Just leave the thread, please. Thanks.

Back