BC2 server browser JACKED.

ebeattie

Limp Gawd
Anyone else having server browser lag issues? Its my understanding that the dev team is addressing the issue but for real its BAD!

takes forever to refresh the list and by the time I do refresh the data is old and all the servers I try to join are full!.

I just installed BC2 on my new machine this morning. running win7 64bit. with nvidia 8800GTX and current drivers. Been able to jump into a few servers so far and loving my new rig but cmon, I shouldnt have to try for ten minutes to get into a game!

Any ideas?

Just refresh the server list and then cancel after about 20-30 seconds. It will give you most of the servers still, and you're not stuck waiting around for 10 minutes....

I wonder how they implemented the browser, cos it seems very inefficient, yesterday i was playing and noticed that every time i clicked on refresh on the server browser it would download at between 80-90KB/sec for the 20-30 seconds, this seems like too much information, for what should just be a list and then a few 32byte pings for each server.

Why couldn't they program the server browser like Valve's games. Refresh, click, join in under 10 seconds :)

I dont know if this has to do with the server browser, but there are a lot of servers that show empty spots but when I try to join it says its full. :confused: Its starting to get real annoying

Depsite Dices ability to create really wonderful games over the years, they turn into a bunch of jibbering retards when it comes to making the server browser, I was kinda hoping they'd done something about this problem being constantly repeated but am sad to say the BC2 browser is just as terrible as previous installments.

click all filters -> refresh -> get full list of playable servers in 5 seconds flat that is automatically sorted by ping

what is so hard

use the filters. otherwise it is trying to ping everything, including the empty servers, and given that there are 1000s it is going to be a long wait.

I check every box except punkbuster. still slow.

ditto. i have every box checked and it's slow as balls. this thing is a real piece of shit. just try adding a server to your favorites list. the load screen just sits there until you cancel the add. i haven't been able to add a single server to my favorites list yet.

its been like that since 1942... accept the fact that it will remain the same

I have this problem too, the refresh takes forever.

The fix I found was click Find/Refresh wait a few seconds and then click Cancel. The list of available servers will pop up in a few seconds after you click cancel.

you can't make it be fast. you can only make it "faster". for it to be fast, go through and add all <100 ping servers as favorites, then just click on your favorites list, and voila. fast.

DICE out source the interface design to the cheapest guys they can find so they can maximise the pay to their core coders.

Every battlefield game feels like the interface is 'bolted on'. That's because it is.

Hell it takes so long I was thinking that you hit the button and some idiot at EA calls each server and ask how many slots and hows it going today.

The add to favorites doesn't work and history is crap.
Overall I give it a 0 out of 100....par for anything these days.
Early Alpha release and we are still testing and basically F u we have your money.

i never have a problem though I use the filters first and then search and I get a list in a few seconds.

mine is very slow like yours. I wait a full 3 mins or so before it finishes. you have to hit it, then hit cancel after like 15 seconds, then the servers will pop up. I cant add to favorites.

Server history.. favorites.. friends.. it all seems to work one time and not the next.

For such an awesome game, it relies on the crappiest server browser system I have seen in a long time.

I thought after they fixed up the browser in 2142 and BF2 they would have remembered how to do it in new games after that.

Server history.. favorites.. friends.. it all seems to work one time and not the next.

For such an awesome game, it relies on the crappiest server browser system I have seen in a long time.

I thought after they fixed up the browser in 2142 and BF2 they would have remembered how to do it in new games after that.

Its a redundant problem with bf games.

bf1942 was crap so we used gamespy and ASE
bf vietnam same problem
BF2 as well
BF2142 was crappy

so its a problem from dice... they know about it but dont care and focus on other stuff.

Anyone else notice that there's no difference if you check or uncheck the punkbuster option? Either way, I've logged into servers that have Punkbuster turned off.
Just curious if anyone else has that issue as well.

My server browser refreshes quickly especially when I check all options, however I do notice its not 100% accurate. I often will get the error that the server is full even when the server browser shows 2 to 4 slots open.

Usually takes me 5-10 seconds... dunno?

I also have my ports forwarded for BC2 though.

During beta and early release it was bad but lately it's been fine. My only issue is that it says some games are full when they're obviously not. I see some game is 25/32 and I just refreshed so I click to join and it says it's full, so I pick a 31/32 and magically get in. D= But it usually takes 2-3 servers before I find one that works, which is fine by me.

Its a redundant problem with bf games.

bf1942 was crap so we used gamespy and ASE
bf vietnam same problem
BF2 as well
BF2142 was crappy

so its a problem from dice... they know about it but dont care and focus on other stuff.

I never played 1942 so I can't say.

BF Vietnam.. I played on our server only so I guess I never used the server browser on that game. Had a custom shortcut to bypass the whole system.

BF2 was crappy at first but got fixed, still never had friends system though.

BF2412 worked ok and had a friends system. I can't recall having any issues with it ever.

I would like them to fix the existing stuff to make it work correctly, add in filtering options for hardcore shit so I can stop joining servers with that crap enabled. I would like to see them clarify the ping deal.. lots of people can't cope with the server browser showing network latency, but then the scoreboard in the game showing game latency. One or the other or call it something different.

Also, we need to be able to make our own server like in BF2 so we can play LAN or check out the maps, etc. If they don't want to program bots and stuff.. so be it. But to not be able to start up a local game to play around on the maps or tweak our settings, etc, is just lame.

last thing... we should be able to pass a server address via the command line. That would make it so Steam Friends could work, Xfire, and custom shortcuts.

Is there some reason I cannot see ping times when I do a server refresh?

Have you tried to run the game as admin to correct this? On the same note, why can't they program that darn game to work without needing to be run as admin anyways...

EDIT: Oh yeah, wanted to gripe about one more thing. I went to a clan's website and looked up their server. I then went to the game and couldn't find the server. I had the address, but of course there is no way to join by address. Does the search work when you type in part of the name? I couldn't seem to get any hits that way.

Have you tried to run the game as admin to correct this? On the same note, why can't they program that darn game to work without needing to be run as admin anyways...

Honestly I would never have thought to run as an admin just to see ping times in teh server browser. I mean wtf the rest of the game works fine why should it need to be run as admin for that? Piss poor coding right there.

Honestly I would never have thought to run as an admin just to see ping times in teh server browser. I mean wtf the rest of the game works fine why should it need to be run as admin for that? Piss poor coding right there.

Exactly.

But it was a known fix for the no ping showing issue during the beta.

Just cancel that shit after a couple of seconds. How many servers does one need to see? It was mega annoying waiting for it to finish. There are hundreds after just a few seconds. Added benefit the player numbers etc are probably much more realistic and up to date, when you run it for only a few seconds.

I don't think setting filters will help too much. It still has to search them. Go ahead and use them, but still cancel the search.

Last edited:
Server Browser works great for me. I use the filters to check full, empty, ranked and it loads within 10-15 secs. Usually just hit favorites that loads my 3 places I play up in under a few seconds.

EDIT: Oh yeah, wanted to gripe about one more thing. I went to a clan's website and looked up their server. I then went to the game and couldn't find the server. I had the address, but of course there is no way to join by address. Does the search work when you type in part of the name? I couldn't seem to get any hits that way.

Searches are case-sensitive, if that helps out.

Server Browser works great for me. I use the filters to check full, empty, ranked and it loads within 10-15 secs. Usually just hit favorites that loads my 3 places I play up in under a few seconds.

I hate you.

j/k, count yourself as very lucky. Its very frustrating when it doesn't work.

I hate you.

j/k, count yourself as very lucky. Its very frustrating when it doesn't work.

Oh it was horrible for while, Beta included. It seems once they took out the instant search when opening up the server browser, it worked much better.

I always filter by latest server revision, I type R9 in the search bar and a bunch of servers load up in under 5 seconds.

Try running BC2 as an admin.

Fixed my server browsing issues. Granted it takes about 30-45 seconds for results to appear. It's helluva lot better than the previous minute plus wait AND I can see ping now.

Most servers list their location. I find for me typing "Seattle" makes the search almost instant. Pick a local city to you and try it.

Try running BC2 as an admin.

Fixed my server browsing issues. Granted it takes about 30-45 seconds for results to appear. It's helluva lot better than the previous minute plus wait AND I can see ping now.
If you have UAC enabled, this is the only way to see pings. If you run BC2 though steam or as a steam shortcut, you need to run steam as administrator to get the overlay + pings.

Back