Beautiful People Are Smarter Than Us Too

HardOCP News

[H] News
Proof that beautiful people are smarter than us too? That sucks.

The study indicated attractive men have IQs that are 13.6 points above the average, while beautiful women are 11.4 points higher than average. The study included 52,000 people from both the United Kingdom and United States.

and who concluded that these people were "attractive"? Has anyone seen women from the UK?

This is exactly why college is a great place to pick up chicks.

Also, I'm not smart enough to look good while making this comment.

Guess it's not really surprising. A lot of what makes someone 'beautiful' is the environment they were raised in. Parents good looking and successful in their own right, less stressful (physically - health, quality of food, etc) upbringing, financial support for health-related (even simple things like teeth care) and cosmetic care, good environment to be raised in (decent neighborhood in suburban or more affluent areas...lots of exposure to nature and such) etc.

Almost all the key indicators would lend themselves well to better appearance as an adult would also contribution to better education possibilities, and thus intelligence.

But note that the difference is SLIGHT. 11 to 14 pts is hardly over 10% difference from the norm. It's statistically worth noting, but...not something to loose a lot of sleep over. Significant alcohol use (not even to the point it interferes with work - just 'more than 3 drinks a day') over a decade is going to chop at least that much off the average on its own.

In short - the benefit is a nice perk. But it's like a +1 to sneak you'd get taking a halfling/hobbit character in an RPG. It's awesome when you are starting your character out at level 1, but by the time you are level 20, it's completely irrelevant a factor any more.

Alright, but whomever did the survey must have been a little bias.. whom is to say which of the 52,000 people are ugly or "beautiful" ???? One man's trash/leftovers/sloppy 2nds/etc is another man's treasure.... this article is a big box of fail as one person running the tests can call one of these thousands of surveyors beautiful, while anohter tester could call one of the same people ugly.....

inaccuracy...?

Alright, but whomever did the survey must have been a little bias.. whom is to say which of the 52,000 people are ugly or "beautiful" ???? One man's trash/leftovers/sloppy 2nds/etc is another man's treasure.... this article is a big box of fail as one person running the tests can call one of these thousands of surveyors beautiful, while anohter tester could call one of the same people ugly.....

inaccuracy...?

Well the fact that there was a significant statistical difference between the test scores of the 2 groups of people means someone did a damn fine job of splitting the people up based on SOMETHING, right? If beauty was a subjective as you say, the numbers should be almost identical...?

I'd say it has alot more to do with confidence in answering the questions than anything.

Obviously the article was written by extremely ugly people. People that are more intelligent tend to take better care of their bodies so they tend to be better looking.

Guess it's not really surprising. A lot of what makes someone 'beautiful' is the environment they were raised in. Parents good looking and successful in their own right, less stressful (physically - health, quality of food, etc) upbringing, financial support for health-related (even simple things like teeth care) and cosmetic care, good environment to be raised in (decent neighborhood in suburban or more affluent areas...lots of exposure to nature and such) etc

Came to post this.

inaccuracy...?

There are known qualities which are universally understood as being attractive. This has been tested many, many times among all races and continents. We have computer software to analyze and even create universally attractive faces.

The truly beautiful are those who are distinctive, and yet still fit the statistical rules for beauty. See Olivia Wilde...

Also, any guy going for another guys leftovers is a guy who can't get better. The basic rule still stands: tens go for tens, eights for eights and fours for fours.

Yeaa. What is not wrong with this study? - everything ! - sampling error you name it

- ROFL

Maybe it's just because guys act dumb around hot chicks. (I assume girls do the same).

not surprised either... but that poll on the article page is stupid... I hate polls that don't have a reasonable choice like "uh, it has SOMETHING to do with it, but probably not alot"... having to choose extremes like that I don't think works to get a useful result at all.

Obviously they've never been to an Ivy League school... lol

Did anyone really think that those doing the study would conclude they're ugly?

I've got a new study with a shocking theory. Beautiful people think they're smarter than they really are and smarter people think they're more attractive than they really are.

...now where's my funding?

I'm just guessing that the more attractive people get included in more things, lending them more experience and knowledge.

I'm quite smart but hideously ugly. Where does that put me?

One of the smartest people I've ever personally met is also one of the ugliest mofos anybody will ever meet.

I'd hate to see what the guy looked like if he was an utter tool...

(FWIW - he recently was brought home after the cops found him passed out in his vehicle. I didn't ask (no, not substance related...), but I did remind him that he needs to keep his windows rolled down so his own stench doesn't overpower him and he doesn't pass out again... And yes, he was slightly amused by my recommendation...)

I'll just quote Albert Einstein on this one
To Marilyn Monroe :"No Ma'am thanks. It might be that the child may be born with your intelligence and my physical appearance". And btw, Albert was quite good with women.
. But sure, give all your power away to celebrities. Next up Gatacka.

And here is one more example that's complete and utter bullshit probably paid by some media mogul.

http://innerconfidence.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ugly.jpg

Guess it's not really surprising. A lot of what makes someone 'beautiful' is the environment they were raised in. Parents good looking and successful in their own right, less stressful (physically - health, quality of food, etc) upbringing, financial support for health-related (even simple things like teeth care) and cosmetic care, good environment to be raised in (decent neighborhood in suburban or more affluent areas...lots of exposure to nature and such) etc.

Yep, this is exactly what I was thinking too. There have been various studies in the past showing people's IQ improves simply by being in a good environment. One of those studies actually took some poor kids from "bad" neighborhoods and had them stay with good parents, go to a good school, etc. Their IQ jumped like 20-30 points in some cases. THAT is a lot.

I should mention that IQ isn't everything though. It doesn't measure creativity in any way, and that is really the thing that makes someone brilliant instead of just smart. IQ is sort of your "baseline" of what you have to work with. It's up to you to actually use it. Human intelligence hasn't changed that much in the past few hundred years, but the creativity of the few has created huge cultural and technological advancements.

Does that mean Kyle is a genius? I guess it certifies that I'm dumb as a door nail. Funny thing is though they say beautiful people have a higher IQ. What do sexier people have?

Next up Gatacka.

Since the name Gattaca itself is made up of the letters from the four bases found in DNA (adenine, cytosine, guanine and thymine), the first sign someone doesn't know what they are talking about is the one who doesn't know to only use the letters ACGT to spell it in the first place?

Logically speaking it makes sense though, positions of power often go to the physically attractive or the intelligent, and those in such a position, all want to marry primarily other attractive people in power. After a few hundred generations, I imagine a trend would emerge.
Of course, rationalism will find a hundred reasons why any such logic, and the study are wrong.

Yep, this is exactly what I was thinking too. There have been various studies in the past showing people's IQ improves simply by being in a good environment. One of those studies actually took some poor kids from "bad" neighborhoods and had them stay with good parents, go to a good school, etc. Their IQ jumped like 20-30 points in some cases. THAT is a lot.

Take a dumb baby out of the ghetto, give him some smart adoptive parents and surround him with intelligent people, and his IQ will jump. But, not 20 points, and not as high as the intelligent people around him. And, when he grows up, his IQ boost will fade.

Intelligence is mostly genetic.

Being physically attractive is mostly a function of desire and intelligence. So, it's natural for intelligent people to be more attractive. Intelligent people know better how to look good.

I'm calling zombie bullshirt on this and present, BILL GATES
gates_and_allen_450px.jpg

ALBERT EINSTIEN
albert-einstein.jpg

and LINUS PAULING as proof
uewb_08_img0545.jpg

They first need to define "beauty" and factor in all those models that are high school drop outs. I smell bias and flawed data all over it.

Beauty isn't as subjective as many of you are making it out to be. There are clearly defined, physical factors that make people--in the face and in the body shape--more objectively physically attractive.

Besides, only ugly people say beauty is in the eye of the beholder or "subjective".

I'm calling zombie bullshirt on this and present, BILL GATES
gates_and_allen_450px.jpg

ALBERT EINSTIEN
albert-einstein.jpg

I'm sorry, but comparing Bill Gates with Albert Einstein is like those "Rich, but not smooth/Smooth, but not rich" commercials... except for substituting smart for smooth, of course...

Beauty isn't as subjective as many of you are making it out to be. There are clearly defined, physical factors that make people--in the face and in the body shape--more objectively physically attractive.

Besides, only ugly people say beauty is in the eye of the beholder or "subjective".

It's certainly not completely subjective. Or, at least, we have social standards from which the average person measures looks. On the other hand, I have a friend that likes women I find to be disgustingly ugly, and he seems to think the women I like are pretty "meh" as well. So it's definitely somewhat subjective. Perhaps it's more accurate to say the way looks was judged was biased towards looking intelligent? :)

Back