Been out of the loop for quite a while, need help building

banjo5150

Weaksauce
I have 1,100 bucks to build a gaming PC. I need no monitor, keyboard, or mouse. What can you guys do for me if you don't mind to help.

Thanks. If I get some replies tonight I will order tonight.

Just how far out have you been, anyway?

If you need a comp in the next few days, I'll recommend parts. Otherwise, I'd recommend waiting on Conroe, the Next Big Thing! at the moment.

Don't think so. I've seen some preliminary estimates that lower-end processors are going to be doable in your range, so it will be worth waiting for (especially if you OC).

Do some searching around the forums, see what people are recommending, then come back here so you have a better idea of what to look for.

Cheapest C2D (the E6300) will have an MSRP of $183. The next one up, with twice the L2 cache (4MB vs 2MB) will have an MSRP of $316. On July 23rd, C2D will be officially available, and prices will be slashed on [almost?] all Pentium processors. AMD will cut prices on all their desktop (non-Opty) CPUs on the 24th.

Not sure how the amount of L2 cache affects the performance of C2D, but the E6300 is still a great deal regardless.

Sapphire X1900XT 512MB - $390 + $7 shipping
Corsair VS 2x1GB DDR2-667 - $147, free shipping
Samsung Spinpoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II - $84, free shipping
Pioneer DVR-111D - $36 + $5 shipping
Fortron FSP400-60GLN - $45 + ~$10 shipping
Antec SLK3000B - $29 + ~$20 shipping

Your choice as to the CPU/mobo. You have $327 to play with... if the cost of the E6300 is significantly higher than MSRP, you'll have to go with AM2 or get a slower video card.

Do you need speakers?

Sorry about the late follow up. I do not need speakers. I am feeling a little overwhelmed right now. I used to build a lot of PC's about 2 years ago and things have changed a lot. I can not believe how many different types of AMD processors they are now. Thats why I turned to the forums.

banjo5150 said:
would it be worth to go dual core?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103562

If dual core is worth it what would be a good Mobo for this

Hey man, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I've been out of the market for the last 7 months, and cant belive how much the market has changed. To answer this question, "Is dual core worth it" YES, is my answer, but wait 1 more month to buy the x2 3800+, it should be almost 100 dollars cheaper....

Dual core is not necessary at the moment..but if you plan to keep this PC for a while I would go dual core since it is going to be utilized more in the near future. If you are going to buy now, you might as well get an AM2 X2 3800+ because it is newer and uses DDR2 RAM. (it may not be much of a difference performance wise right now...but since it is the same price you might as well get it since DDR is being phased out (finally). I haven't really followed AM2 but I heard the ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe is good, but it is expensive if you don't need SLi.Check out the motherboard forums for a good recommendation.

I would definately try to wait for Core 2 Duo/Conroe because it is next gen (check the benchmarks, the $300 processor performs better than the $1k+ FX-60). I would get everything that 454Casull recommended. Just wait for C2D if you can, and even if you do not buy intel there is going to be a price drop for AMD processors. It is not too far away..you can do it! :p

Back