beeping coming from psu?

xnikx

[H]ard|Gawd
So last night i heard what sounded like a cricket all night long.
This morning i came downstairs to use my pc and noticed the "cricket" was much louder in the basement. I then put my ear to my pc and realized it was the power supply....
When i unplug the power cord the beeping stops instantly.

Obvously rma, which ill honestly just probably throw this pos silverstone psu in the garbage.
But any ideas what caused this? anyone ever heard of this?

EDIT: oh ya, it makes the noise when the pc is off, not just when its running, it only stops if i unplug the power cord.

Is it a beeping or a cricket sound? Also does any of the fans stay on for a short while when you leave the power cord plugged in and shut down the PC, some units will delays shutting down the fans to cool down the components.

Can you stop fans to rule them out while the PSU is running? If it turns out to be a fan problem you can either lube the fans or replace especially if it is out warranty.

Sounds like the chokes (coils) whining away.

This normally happens when you have the PSU under pretty heavy load.....high ambient temps?

Anyway, I would check the output voltage on each rail with a good quality (and calibrated) multimeter, under no-load as well as full-load conditions - in all likelihood this is nothing to be concerned about, and quite normal behaviour for a variety of PSU's under certain conditions.

I do have it every once in a while from my PC P&C 1KW Turbocool unit too, and it's 6 years old now, and still serving me with distinction!

Of course, admittedly, the sound can drive younger ears insane, as they tend to pick up higher frequencies whereas older ears, well, you know how it is....

Back