Before Making a Thread About Buying a PSU....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys... I have to say that this is a great thread... I've been reading this thread for the past couple of days thinking it would be a great place to get an idea of what PSU to buy... and... honstly it has to some extent... and it has also driven me crazy~ i can't seem to make a decision... so i would love it if you guys gave me some recommendations to which PSU to get....

First of all... the reason why i'm looking for a new PSU is because currently my specs are:
Mobo: ASUS A7N9X-E Deluxe
CPU: AMD 2500 Barton
Memory: 768 MB kingston 3200
Harddrives:
5 - 80GB WD setup on PCI RAID controller
1 - 250GB WD
Case Fans: 7
Video Card: Radeon 9800 Pro
I don't know what other information you guys require... but... here it goes...

I've had originally setup two SATA harddrives on a raid... and whenever my windows was loading, or when i was loading certain programs, i realized that my harddrives would do some what of a clicking sound... followed by a sound of a hard drive spinning back up to its original speed... It annoyed the HECK out of me because whenever it did that, everything would freeze...

So, i got the pci raid card... and hooked up 5 ata harddrives thinking... maybe it was the raid controller on my mobo that was causing the problem.. after a while... this thing started doing this also~ now... i know its not my harddrives... because i've replaced every single one of them about 3-4 times... i know its not my mobo because i've replaced that about 5 times... video card is new... memory... seems to check out ok... and now i finally realized that the only thing that i haven't changed was the PSU...

And from what a lot of people say, it seems like my PSU is probably not delivering enough power thus causing the harddrive to shut down for a sec, and spin back up to the speed....

So.... Now i'm shopping for one of the BEST PSU i can put in my computer... I'm willing to spend up to $300... or around there... hopefully i don't have to... but if that's what it takes to make this computer running smooth, i will... so please help me guys in making a decision~ thanks a lot! and once again... this forum is GREAT!!!

If you get the pc power and cooling 510 deluxe, I canc promise you that you will never go to another brand again funds permiting.

sorry for lack of activity guys, its been crazy, I'm going to go through it weed out bad links and do a refresh hopefully by this weekend.

Niksa said:
I haven't seen much mention of iBest and nSpire. Does anyone know if they're just generics, new, or if they are manufactured by an established different-name company?

I was considering getting an iBest 650W AXT for my computer:

ASUS K8V Delux Athlon64 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+
Cooling Fan CPU Athlon 64 $15
1Gb PC3200 - 400MHz DDR Memory
Maxtor 250G 7200 SATA150 8M
3.5" Floppy Disk Drive 1.44MB
ATI X800 Pro 256MB 8X AGP Video
Black SONY 16x Speed DVD
Pioneer DVR-108 DVD±RW/±R Writer Black
Sound Blaster AUDIGY (OEM)
RaidMax Scorpio Green 420W UL Front USB

But I haven't seen many reviews for them, so I may just go with a more trusted Enermax or Fortron.. but I need to figure out how much W I will need (~450 was my guess).

I didn't see either iBest or nSpire on the avoid-list, but I wasn't sure if they were pseudonyms for another company or something. Thanks for the help, I'm just starting to read up on these different kinds of power supplies, and this forum is a good resource. :)

Hey,

I would avoid those two. They may be decent, but they are not good, and there is too little information to use them comfortably. Fortron and enermax are both excellent pics, I use both of them in secondary machines. If I were you I would go with any of the following

1. Zippy 500w
2. Pcp&c 425w (for the money, zippy is better performance, but pcp&c better looks, support, features, warranty)
3. Fortron 530w (aging, but still great)
4. Enermax anything above 470w really.
5. Antec Neopower 480

ANy of the above should do you well

amheck said:
Good thread guys. I'm glad this was a sticky.

I'm looking for a new PS in the $75 range to power a new NF4/3200+ (non-sli) setup. I have been seeing something about how the new MB's need (prefer?) a 24-pin connector. Does anyone know how to tell if the PS's I'm looking at have that connector? versus the older-20 pin connector?

Thanks!
Aaron

CAn you stretch it a bit to around $100 to get an OCZ, zippy, or pcp&c or neopower? Those are really the optimal psu's for that config.

DOn't quote me on this but I think if it is 24 pin connector it should say atx 12v v2.0 compatible or compliant (I forget which, dont be fooled only one of those does, ICe Czar always can keep those straight).

amheck said:
Good thread guys. I'm glad this was a sticky.

I'm looking for a new PS in the $75 range to power a new NF4/3200+ (non-sli) setup. I have been seeing something about how the new MB's need (prefer?) a 24-pin connector. Does anyone know how to tell if the PS's I'm looking at have that connector? versus the older-20 pin connector?

Thanks!
Aaron

just stretch it to $90, and get a Fortron 550W, its got a 24pin mobo connector, 8 pin aux, and also the 4 pin 12V connector.

Its a beefed up Fortron 530W. Im not sure if the NF4 has a 24 or 20 pin connector, but its best to get a 24pin PSU, as future mobos will surely have 24pin connectors.

U can verify whether the PSU has a 24 pin connector by checking whether its a EPS compatible PSU. Or else it'll be mentioned that it is a ATX V2.0 PSU, in which case its gonna have the 24pin connector.

I'll be installing a 450W Nspire with the 24-pin ATX power connector in a new computer tonight. I'll post my impressions later.

Components going into the new system:

- Asus P5AD2 Deluxe (i925x chipset)
- P4 3.2 GHz 1MB/800FSB
- 2 x 512MB Corsair Value DDR2 PC2-4200
- eVGA 6800GT PCI-express
- Seagate 120GB SATA HDD
- NEC DVD-RW
- Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM
- 2 x 120mm case fans
- Floppy + CF Media reader

Please let me know if absolutely should not use this PSU.

-- Lax

Laxman said:
I'll be installing a 450W Nspire with the 24-pin ATX power connector in a new computer tonight. I'll post my impressions later.

Components going into the new system:

- Asus P5AD2 Deluxe (i925x chipset)
- P4 3.2 GHz 1MB/800FSB
- 2 x 512MB Corsair Value DDR2 PC2-4200
- eVGA 6800GT PCI-express
- Seagate 120GB SATA HDD
- NEC DVD-RW
- Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM
- 2 x 120mm case fans
- Floppy + CF Media reader

Please let me know if absolutely should not use this PSU.

-- Lax

I would never trust an Nspire myself. At the school I work at, there was a computer lab full of P3 933's, Asus boards (cant remember what they are for sure), 256MB PC100, and Nspire PSUs. We had a bad electrical storm.....and the turnout was not good. Every single PSU fried, and took every single motherboard with it. 30 computers we had to new PSUs and mobos for.....it was not a pleasent experiance. Needless to say, that was the last time the school ordered Nspire PSUs. They were however much lesser quality, 250W PSU's, so maybe yours will be better.

I just want to thank people for posting the sticky threads. People really do use them and they save a lot of grief.

what do we know about the BFG psu's
the 550 has 45a for both the 3.3 and 5v and it has dual 12v rails sporting 20amps per rail.

knowing bfg if they keep with the quality and warrenty of their video cards its gott be worth the money...

anyone seen anything bout these ?

Beware Okia and Macron Power ... they are absolute SHIT. I swear, literally every singe Okia that left the shop had to be replaced within a year :rolleyes: Macron wasn't as bad, but a majority of them got replaced within a year. Okias are notorious for taking motherboards out with them too ...

Teee-heee :D
[OC Cafe "review]
Observed weight, color of the cables, color of the LEDs and phillips head screws. Thats about the only definitive facts I might trust. They slapped it up to a wimpy load and ran MBM-type proggie and "confirmed" it with a multimeter. Wow, really conclusive work. :D

I do trust that review to tell me what color the HS is.

[Overclockers Club highlights]
"will make this PSU come to its knees" Ok, cool, lets see what they got!
* P4 2.8C
* AOpen AX4SG MaxII motherboard
* 512x2 GeiL PC4000 RAM
* ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
* Seagate 120Gig HDD
* Samsung Writemaster DVD-RW

Uhh wow, cool hardware from 2003. Thats gotta put a hurting on my compaq 200w

Man, I have to admit, I'm no electronics expert, but these two "reviews" dont convince me. The OCClub review said "sata connectors are a nice touch" They damn well better be. What enthusiast isn't considering SATA... for over a year? I had to doublecheck the date, yep, Feb 2005.

Theyve convinced me of the color of the cables, the color of the heatsink, the plastic thingy next to some caps, the LED colors but nothing on the performance.

Bullitt said:
Teee-heee :D
[OC Cafe "review]
Observed weight, color of the cables, color of the LEDs and phillips head screws. Thats about the only definitive facts I might trust. They slapped it up to a wimpy load and ran MBM-type proggie and "confirmed" it with a multimeter. Wow, really conclusive work. :D

I do trust that review to tell me what color the HS is.

[Overclockers Club highlights]
"will make this PSU come to its knees" Ok, cool, lets see what they got!
* P4 2.8C
* AOpen AX4SG MaxII motherboard
* 512x2 GeiL PC4000 RAM
* ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
* Seagate 120Gig HDD
* Samsung Writemaster DVD-RW

Uhh wow, cool hardware from 2003. Thats gotta put a hurting on my compaq 200w

Man, I have to admit, I'm no electronics expert, but these two "reviews" dont convince me. The OCClub review said "sata connectors are a nice touch" They damn well better be. What enthusiast isn't considering SATA... for over a year? I had to doublecheck the date, yep, Feb 2005.

Theyve convinced me of the color of the cables, the color of the heatsink, the plastic thingy next to some caps, the LED colors but nothing on the performance.

Point, I just googled it quickly and skimmed, though my point is, just because the aspire psu's that come with their cases suck, doesn't mean all of their psu's suck...

Edit: Heres another review-ish type thing, his system is a little more modern: review

Neopower and the Modstream are the best "stock' modulars out there
most any supply can be converted

Well after reading this entire thread, I can't decide which way to go for a good PSU. Right now, I've got an Antec TruePower 550 EPS12V. Based upon the numbers, I figured this PSU should be able to handle what I'm building, but I've got serious instability. I measured the 12v, 7v, and 5v with a multimeter. Here's what I'm getting:

5v - 4.97v
7v - 6.87v
12v - 11.84v.

The problem is I'm not sure it's my PSU that's the problem. I could be a CPU or motherboard problem. I'm pretty sure it's the PSU though (it acts like a power problem). Anyway, because I've been replacing parts like crazy on the machine, I don't want to spend $300 on a PSU.

System specs:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Zalman passive chipset cooler
Corsair Twinx1024-3200C2 mem
Athlon64 3500+
Zalman 7000 series cooler
(2) BFG 6800GTs OC
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
IDE DVD-ROM
IDE DVD+-RW
(2) Seagate SATA 160Gb HD
IDE WD 40Gb HD
(4) 80mm case fans running on "fan only" lead from PSU

I tried Takaman's Power Supply Calculator, but I can't find the stats for the the voltages on the 6800GTs. All of the charts on the xbitslabs website are coming up as dead links. I tried to figure it out by interpolation, and it came up saying I need a 615W PSU. That can't be right.

I could go with the PCP&C 510 SLI, but 1) I don't wanna spend almost $300 when it may not be the PSU that's the problem, 2) I want to keep my case relatively quiet. I also want to make sure that whatever PSU I get will be NO QUESTION more than enough to handle this system. If I spend the money on a new PSU and I'm still having problems, I want to know for sure that it is not my PSU. Any suggestions on PSUs that might be up to the task besides the PCP&C unit? I'm thinking about Fortron, Enermax, or OCZ, but I don't know for sure, and don't know if I should go 500w, 550w, or 600w from one of those

you running a 7 volt mod?
those figures arent outside of the spec
and you didnt supply any range, if its stable at that voltage...

figure 75watts per card or 13A on the +12V rail for both cards

and the Antec true550 EPS12V is simply a compatible EPS12V
not a compliant EPS12V it has a single +12V rail something that might actually impact such a heavilly loaded config as yours

I come up with
http://takaman.jp/D/?M=PbQBQbdPhSCgHKTZiH3kG5JBYaZAZavXCMZ&english

+3.3V @ 3.1A
+5V @ 11.2A
+12V @ 33.1A
and 463 combined rails with an over wattage of 473.9 watts
while that "fits" the specs of your Anrec that is before any derating curve for temperature
and while actually reducing its amps per rail by 1\3 might not be called for
I generally derate them at least some

its also an older supply geared to older mobos with considerable capacity for the +3.3V or +5V rail, the crossload your talking about which is so heavily weighted toward the +12V it really wasnt typical when it was designed

you mention instability but only in passing

Thanks for the help Ice Czar.

I mentioned instability only in passing, but let me assure you, it is no small thing. I've been without my system for about 5 weeks because I cannot get it to run stable. I'm pulling my hair out. I had to replace my motherboard because the first one I got had two bad memory slots (B1 & B2). I've tried a 6600GT, two 6800, and now two 6800GTs.I've already spent more than I intended to. Instability is everything to me right now. :( It runs fine when not under a heavy load. When running something like 3dMark, Pacific Fighters, or HL2 is when it has problems. The problems are typical power problems (at least the symptoms are the same): Application locks, CTDs, spontaneous reboots.

I'm not running a 7volt mod or overclocking at all. I just used to 4-pin HD connector to measure the voltages. Sorry for leaving out the ranges. Under load, I get .01 or .02 volt less on the 12v readings (it fluctuates between the two), and the same on the 7v. The 5 volt is pretty stable. I have not been lucky enough to have it crash while I was measuring the voltages, but as I said above, it crashes under load only. However, like I said before, I'm not 100% sure it's a power problem. It just seems a lot like a power problem. (More details can be found here if you care: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=870004)

I discovered something interesting on the hardwareanalysis.com forums. They found that they only way to get this system to run stable with the Antec TruePower 550 EPS12V is to convert the 8-pin connector to two 6-pin PCI-e connectors, as that 8-pin is on a separate rail. We'll see how that goes. However, if this PSU is that marginal, I'll prolly just spend the cash on the PCP&C PSU.

Well, I discovered that my problem was no PSU related. However, I did discover that on the Antec TruePower550 EPS12v, you have to mod it for PCI-ex. Pull all of the pins out of the 8-pin connector. Connect two blacks, and two yellows into 6-pin PCI-ex power connectors. Supposedly, that will put your PCI-ex cards on the second 12v rail. I don't know how true it is, but it can't hurt. For more info, take a look here: http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/ and here: http://hardwareanalysis.com/action/r/http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/image/11419/

computerpro3 said:

From among these 4 PSUs, which would you recommend most and why? As you might notice, I looking for a supply of approx. 500W.

I have the Intel D915GAV mobo running a P4 3.6 Prescott.

Any other recommendations are welcome. These are just the ones that sounded good.

Also, what's the issue with 20 pin/24 pin mobo connector? Which am I to get?

Thanks.

Cyberlunacy said:
dont buy those crappy forton spu's man those things are poo.

dont dance around the topic. tell us what you really think :p

Id basically agree, except that the FSP arent "bad" just outclassed
if value is the criteria onstead of quality of the power theyd lead the list
they offer basic spec co0mpliance but thats about it

of course what you might actually want is dependent on what your powering and what your then going to do with it

as a minimum you want a 24 pin main and 4 pin auxillary
you might want an entirely different class of PSU for any long term investment
(serious PCI-E \ SLi) in which case Id recommend an EPS12V over an ATX12V v1.3 or v2.0

Cyberlunacy said:
OCZ Powerstream 520w PSU = $125
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-104-152&depa=0

get that psu 100% without a doubt.

the Zippy one is also good but the OCZ is best

dont buy those crappy forton spu's man those things are poo.

The ocz is in no way better than the zippy. Please provide proof for your claim.

Zippy > Topower, I didn't think anyone would object to that...

From the 450mf @ 125C input regulation caps the zippy uses (compared to 400mf @ 80C for the OCZ) to the tolerances to basically everything except a cool LED fan, the zippy is better.

Folks,

Since there seems to be a debate between Zippy and OCZ (with a loose agreement that Fortron is not upto either of them), can I ask what the opinion on the following is?

Pc Power and Cooling Turbocool 510 Deluxe

Might all you folks agree that this is better than other PSUs in the 500W category? Or, is there a better 500W PSU at any price point?

Thanks.

sig = signature. Read his. You may have to enable "View signatures" first.

Ice Czar, would you mind elaborating on the good or bad of Allied PSUs? Also, how would you rate Austin PSUs?

sm8000 said:
sig = signature. Read his. You may have to enable "View signatures" first.
Ice Czar, would you mind elaborating on the good or bad of Allied PSUs? Also, how would you rate Austin PSUs?

Allied are just this side of generics, and not widely regarded
Im rather pressed for time today, and dont recall the root manufacturer or manufacturers
Austin PSU are like a really obscure make I know Ive seen and might be a Deer interation?(as Allied might) but Im not sure, wouldnt want to unjustifiably slander a make

but again, Im checking in to the forums today from a Knoppix CD and I dont have access to my NAS or time to search.

Regarding the PCP&C 510 make that sig +10 drives :p
widely regarded as the best PSU in that form factor period

I'm curious about the Allieds as I have heard good things about them elsewhere, and I am using a couple right now. I've seen the Austins used in cheap generic cases and thought I'd just throw them both into the mix. Anything you can find out is appreciated, when you have the chance :)

what model number do the allieds start with? I believe they are all deer's, but gimme the model number and I can tell you for sure.

OK well the updated "Deer" list I have is

Deer = Allied, Codegen, L&C, Logic, Foxconn, Mustang, Powerstar, Eagle, Foxlink, Mercury, Duro, Austin,
Real Power, Tsunami, Duro, Arrow, Okia, US-Can, Turbolink (some), and Rosewill (some)

(with some new detective work courtesy of Oklahoma Wolf)
Real Power Enterprise Co. also makes some Turbolink's
and Rosewill has had UL file numbers from Deer, ATNG, Wintech, Leadman/Powmax
all in all Roswill Russian Roulette :p

I suffered from extreme lack of caffine, sleep and a heavy deadline this morning ;)
But Im much better now, just picked up 5GB of memory, and Im wide awake :p
(2GB USB, 1GB CF, 4 x 512MB PC2100)

Thanks Ice Czar. I'll admit I have heard some bad things about Deer.

computerpro3, the label on mine simply says "Model: AL-A350ATX"

I'll probably stick with it for now, as it has been perfectly stable for me so far. Granted, my demands are comparatively modest. For the record, it currently powers 1 to 4 SCSI CD or DVD drives, often an ATAPI CD/DVD combo drive, an IDE hard drive, one 512MB double-sided DIMM of Crucial PC2100, and a Duron 1.8 with an 80mm Spire cooler fan. VGA is a SiS Xabre 200 with a 40mm fan.

I would really like to see the SilenX iXtrema Pro line fitted into the lineup. Of all the reviews i've read, they are amazing power supplies, and very solid in the power they offer when stress tested. I dont have one, but i'll be buying one when i build my first computer ;) (within 6 months hopefully lol)

Qty SKU Description Price
IX-3014PB 300w <14dBA iXtrema Pro PSU $74.95
IX-3514PB 350w <14dBA iXtrema Pro PSU $94.95
IX-4014PB 400w <14dBA iXtrema Pro PSU $114.95
IX-4514PB 450w <14dBA iXtrema Pro PSU $134.95
IX-5214AB 520w <14dBA iXtrema Pro A-PFC PSU $164.95
IX-6014AB 600w <14dBA iXtrema Pro A-PFC PSU $199.95

They are not fanless so they do make noise, but that <14dBA rating is accurate according to the reviews.

fbiguy said:
Of all the reviews i've read, they are amazing power supplies,

well link up the reviews for judgement
be advised if they simply own a camera and a copy of MBM we will savage them (not you)
there are extremely few people competent to review a PSU

the best that can be said for most "reviewers"
is that it didnt blowup their rig that day :p

wow if i'm going to be spending $115 on a 400w PSU I would want a lot more than 18a on +12v line hell no they are rip offs

well i just bought an ocz powerstream 520w http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-152&depa=1 after reading this thread, it really helped me out, and to think i was gonna use a cheapo 420w thermaltake, i'm powering up a 3.2 640, asus p5ad2-e deluxe, ati x800, 160gb barracuda, a dvdrw, a dvd rom, a zip drive, and 5 fans. i was looking at the 480w power supply but i decided that if i'm gonna buy a decent system i might as well get a pretty good psu, btw the price on newegg is $140 now, i think u have it listed as $120 :cool: give me some feedback if u wish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back