Bending Acrylic

Without a heat bender.

What source of heat do you use?

Heat gun?

Any advice or tips would be greatly apprieciated.

Cheers

Ryan

I made a clear power supply cover out of acrylic and that way I did it was I first made a form the size of the psu case out of wood and then I cut the acrylic to size with a little extra to account for the bend. I then covered the top of the acrylic with a few wooden blocks to try and stop destortion. I then added a little hear using a heat gun until the arcylic started to bend then took the heat away and forced the acrylic into the position I wanted. You do need to be careful on the amount of heat you apply to the acrylic and how close you are to the acrylic with the heatgun as the first cover I made came out really destorted and the edges of the acrylic started to melt. Good luck with it.

yeah my main concern was heating the acrylic to much as you say and bubbling it or loosing its shape.

At the moment i have an ClearPC acrylic cas, but have got bored of the case and i think a much more proffesional and more appealing case could be made.

Many thanks for your help

theoretically>>>couldnt you use a propane torch and a light touch to get the plexi to bend?, score the edges just enough to get the piece weakened a bit and bend away?

undeadsac said:
theoretically>>>couldnt you use a propane torch and a light touch to get the plexi to bend?, score the edges just enough to get the piece weakened a bit and bend away?
I've used a propane torch. It works, but it's really hard to keep it from bubbling. You have to be very careful to heat it evenly, which is hard because the flame is so hot. If you do some quick passes at it about a foot and a half away and then pull on the piece, you can get a nice clean bend. Or at least what I consider a nice clean bend :p

will be using a heat gun personally, much more controlled method, and no naked flame to scorch the plastic\acrylic.

A form molding and/or brace and the oven at low temp will bend it just fine. Just lay the plexiglass over or on top of something metal and let gravity form it for you.

I had to fabricate a couple tinted plexiglass/acrylic tailight covers for my first car and that method proved to work well. Just remember to keep an eye on things closely in the oven.

:)

i use a heat gun to get the bends where i want them, over a form, and then i vacuum bag it and cook it in the oven to make it nice and perfect.

I have been wondering about this too. I have a heat gun, but concerned that the heating will not be even across the surface i am bending. Oven idea doesnt sit will with me, especially with a gas range, and what i hear about the vapors release with this stuff. And i am too darn cheap to buy tools for something I am not positive about.

So here is the idea. Not sure if it will be hot enough though. I took a old heating pad from the house, that is been burning the crap out of me. I know it says it only goes to 50w, but will try and see. I cut it open and pulled out the element. Wow is it long. Its all insulated wire, will put it in the jig I am making and crank it up to high, and see what happens. if that fails maybe heat gun assistance will be necessary.

I'll keep yall posted, unless you know it wont work and if so, say so, spare me the dissappointment.

Back