BenQ G2400W

what would you guys choose, price not an issue.

benq g2400w or the hp w2408

Hey guys,
I got my G2400W yesterday and hooked it up. I can't say I'm impressed...

One of the biggest issues for me is the difference between the top and bottom of the screen. For instance, on a forum the top thread listings have nice text contrast, normal looking. On the bottom of the screen everything seems brighter and more washed out. The text is seems to contrast less with the background.

I don't think its a viewing angle issue, because no matter where I move my head I ALWAYS see a difference between the bottom and top. If the bottom looks normal, the top looks too dark.

Anybody else experiencing anything like this? Do I have a defective model?

I came from a 2001fp, am I bound to be disappointed by a TN panel?

The 2001fp is an IPS panel type, the type with the best viewing angles.

That is a viewing angle issue, the major weakness of TN panels. Most people can adjust the height angle to get fairly usable viewing angle. But it will never be perfect.

Hi,

I just got my G2400W yesterday. I wanted to play with it some before I said anything. I am pleased with the decision of purchasing this monitor. This monitor is used primarily on a PC on a desktop in front of the user.

Pros

No Dead Pixels. I tried out Dead Pixel Buddy on this monitor and I saw no dead pixels throughout the color spectrum.

Image. The colors look good right out of the box. I do not have any testing/ calibration tools at my disposal. Everything that I have done so far, looks crisp, clear and clean. This is one of the better LCDs I have seen! The picture is amazing.

Size. Definitely big. When I did the initial set up, it was huge on my desktop. The jump to from a 19 inch was much more than I expected.

Height. This can be thought as subjective but I think the height of the monitor is fine. There is plenty of tilt in the screen. Since I am taller than average and the way I sit at the desk, the height is fine. When my wife sits at the "big screen" she just tilts it forward and it is fine for her. My wife is of average height. Since there are more than 2 people in the world, this is why I feel height adjustment is no big thing.

Input Lag. I came from a Samsung 940BW 19 inch wide screen. In COD4, I would see one thing but miss another. My unscientific test was to play the servers I normally play. Even with a higher settings being generated by the video card, I felt the play was smoother and less choppy. Can other factors be an issue? Yes you betcha. However, having a good feel for system, knowing my connection, and having a good feel for the game in general, I felt there was an increased response time when clicking the mouse for the kill. Less time wasted or skipped frames. I have seen people who killed me were facing the wrong way. Knowing them and how they played, they said on their end I was right in their face.

Cons

Adjustments. I think the menu is a pain in the tail. The function buttons are hard to get to and user unfriendly. One has to rotate their hand upside down to access the buttons. The menu itself is adequate and has a similar feel to other LCDs.

Power button. Yes you hear me right. To me it is a con because most monitors I have used and seen have it off to the one side, usually the right. The power button is in the center of the bottom part of the bezel. When reaching to turn off the monitor when leaving the room or for the night, I find myself going to wrong area. I am sure after a few days, I will be going to right spot.

Screen. No complaints about the size but the screen reflects. If you have a work area like mine in which you have lots of outside lighting, beware. I get some reflection from the glass behind as well as on the side. Depending on the time of day, it could make viewing hard since my desk is on the southeast side of the of my home.

Other thoughts.

Well it is a really nice monitor. I thought the image quality was outstanding. I am not an ubersnob when it comes to wanting to have the perfect image every time. I would say the image is above average quality compared to other LCDs in the store and that I have owned in the past. Color right out of the box was pretty good. It does the job well enough for me. Adjustments to the monitor itself like brightness and contrast were a bit difficult for me. I could only imagine someone suffering from CTS trying to adjust the monitor. The box should have included a circus midget for adjusting. The glossiness of the screen is a bit of a turn off. I am typing this with some reflection. One thing I will say, if you are thinking about purchasing a 24 inch screen, take a tape measure. Make sure it will fit on your desktop or where ever you place your LCD. This is a pretty big monitor. I know backlighting is a big issue for some. I did not notice any extreme areas of light in darker areas like at night. I will check it again to make sure my eyes are adjusted to the conditions.

Overall a very nice monitor for the price. You cannot beat $370 out the door from Buy.com and a GCO $20 off coupon.

Later,
shaggy

It's possible you have a faulty monitor.

I tilt mine forward a tiny bit and get a pretty consistent grey on the forums. It's still a tiny bit darker on top, but the difference is less than the color shift I see side to side on the greys with my BenQ FP241VW (MVA panel).

I also have a Samsung 2493HM that I'm playing with and the difference is stronger. I even set the two monitors exactly at the same height and angle and saw that the BenQ darkened less, and at a higher place on the monitor.

Tilt your's forward or move your head up and down and see if it changes anything. If not, and if it happens with all colors, you may have a faulty screen. I usually have my eye level near the top of the screen and tilt it very slightly forward.

But I will say, an S-IPS screen will have much better viewing angles vertically, and slightly better angles horizontally than any TN panel.

Regards,

10e

Hey guys,

One of the biggest issues for me is the difference between the top and bottom of the screen. For instance, on a forum the top thread listings have nice text contrast, normal looking. On the bottom of the screen everything seems brighter and more washed out. The text is seems to contrast less with the background.

I don't think its a viewing angle issue, because no matter where I move my head I ALWAYS see a difference between the bottom and top. If the bottom looks normal, the top looks too dark.

Not sure if this will influence anyone's decision on this monitor or not. I hooked a HD cable box to this monitor today, and it looks outstanding especially in HD.
The more surprising part to me though is that it looks very very good on SD channels. I know this is not really what this kind of monitor is designed for however if you were thinking of using it as a TV you may be very pleasantly surprised by it.

Here's a photo of mine for you:

Let me know how it compares. Not the greatest photo as it was done right before leaving for work, but it gives an example.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8065740@N07/2422349345/sizes/l/

There is a slight change in darkness from top to bottom, but nothing drastic.

Whereas notice this one of the FP241VW (A-MVA) and the big shift from the right-middle towards the right on the screen (left of it is the glare from the window behind me).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8065740@N07/2422359227/sizes/l/

Regards,

10e

Hey guys,

I just ordered the G2400W from NCIX, as its on sale this week for 349.99, along with a cheap set of logitech X-540 speakers.

I'm moving from a basement apartment to a house, so my 46' Samsung is going be in the living room and I "needed" a new monitor for the new computer room. Can't wait to get my hands on it, The 360 and PC should look great on this.

Enjoy,

It's a great screen for Xbox 360 or PS3 over HDMI or DVI.

It's even pretty good for BluRay movies with PS3. I hope your experience is as positive as mine.

I've even found a huge advantage over the more expensive BenQ FP241VW that I will detail in a few days, once I've finished the G2400W vs. 2493HM review.

I can tell you that the review is tilted in favour of the "G" for a number of reasons, and definitely in support of 1080p content.

Regards,
10e

I've been doing a lot of research on HDMI compatible monitors lately. I'm going to be buying a PS3 after this summer and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a smaller HDTV, plus it'll be bigger than my current 20.1". The G2400W looks to be my best choice in terms of price, quality, and picture, but I was wondering if anyone has tried using a PS3 with both games and movies on this. If so, how well does the 1:1 aspect ratio work for 1080p?

Enjoy,
It's a great screen for Xbox 360 or PS3 over HDMI or DVI.
... and definitely in support of 1080p content.
I was lucky enough to get an Xbox 360 pro with HDMI, and I intend to hook up my PC through DVI.
My previous Samsung HDTV, which I used for my PC monitor / xbox 360, was only capable of displaying 720p, it will be nice to be able to enjoy a higher resolution and 1080 content.

Quite well,

The G2400W scales all resolutions I've tried perfectly from HDMI:

1) 480p - perfect. No cropping or distortion
2) 720p - perfect. No cropping or distortion
3) 1080p - perfect. No cropping or distortion

Games and movies look as good or better than other monitors I've tried including the BenQ FP241VW, Samsung 2493HM, and Westinghouse L2410NM.

Regards,
10e

I've been doing a lot of research on HDMI compatible monitors lately. I'm going to be buying a PS3 after this summer and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a smaller HDTV, plus it'll be bigger than my current 20.1". The G2400W looks to be my best choice in terms of price, quality, and picture, but I was wondering if anyone has tried using a PS3 with both games and movies on this. If so, how well does the 1:1 aspect ratio work for 1080p?

Thanks for the reply. If nothing else that fits my needs better hits the shelves this summer, I'll be picking one of these up.

Just got it today, but my first impressions is that it is not bright enough :/
Colors seem dull and washed out, unless I set Standrard mode with 100 color on blue red and green, or set it to photo or dynamic mode. The blacks are amazing in this screen.

The other modes seem to yellowish for me.
What setting do you guys use for the colors for best viewing blu rays

This screen does really well with scaling smaller resolutions over HDMI.
Coming from a Samsung 216BW

Service menu on this monitor,

Hold down the menu button and power on.

Wait a second and let go of menu button, and press it again. It will tell you firmware, HDCP mode, on time, etc...

Vender: IMS (I guess they misspelt Vendor)
Panel: AU24
Scaler: Realtek 2549T
Firmware: G2400W V030 0822

HDCP in mode 2 by default. I guess this could be useful if you have problems with HDCP switching?

FYI,

10e

Since the Lenovo L220X (22" 1920x1200 would've been perfect for me) doesn't seem to be available, at least not from a store I would trust to order from, I was pretty much set on the HP LP2065 for my next PC, but I came across the BenQ G2400W this morning and now I am doubting my choice :( ... and I want to order asap.

Heres why I first liked the LP2065:
- I AM NOT A GAMER :D
- The HP has a higher pixel count (1600x1200) than wide 20" and 22" monitors, a big plus for me (I don't mind standard or wide). And 24"ers are a bit large for a PC when they're only 2-3 feet away from your eyes, that's an opinion of course.
- The HP has an A-MVA panel (I am not counting on winning the lottery) which has good viewing angles (better than TN at least) and color reproduction, and isn't too pricey (~$300). I prefer getting as good as I can viewing angles for a reasonable price.

Why am I now considering the G2400W:
- Price ... I would get 20% more pixels and wouldn't be paying that much more. $300 vs. $390. So I kind of looked over my "24" is too large" statement from before :p
- Positive reviews, although most are from gamers, quite a few are mentioning that the color quality is nice and better than what you'd expect from a TN panel, and no one seems to be over-complaining about viewing angles, so I guess they are either average or above average for a TN.

What will I use it for:
Internet, office type work, programming with minimal graphics (need as much space as I can get, that's why I am looking at resolution / pixel count), and watching movies (on PC).

So would you recommend the G2400W for me? or am I better of sticking with a non-TN monitor like the HP?

I guess it would help to mention that I don't want to pay more than $400 that's why I am not really looking at non-TN 24" monitors.

Thanx

I would extend the warranty on the HP W2408H before I'd consider buying it.

If there is no glare behind me, and all I'm doing is PC stuff, and price not being an issue, I might say HP. They seem to have a number of useful adjustments in the OSD that rival the BenQ.

I know the BenQ trumps it on viewing angles though from seeing the HP in the stores.

Regards,

10e

what would you guys choose, price not an issue.

benq g2400w or the hp w2408

It depends,

For online FPS gamers, the Dell is too slow in regards to input lag.

For movie watching, pick'em.

For graphic design, Dell all the way, but still not as good as S-IPS.

Price not being an issue the Dell is also an awesome monitor, but it has its share of issues:

1) Wide gamut that needs to be calibrated, but sRGB preset dull and lifeless.
2) People are seeing panel discoloration
3) 50+ ms of input lag, rivals generations old LCD HDTVs

It really depends.

I have not for one second considered the 2408WFP since the thread started on it.

Regards,

10e

So, the final question is this: The G2400W or the WFP2408?

Alright, thank you. The Dell seems perfect for what I'm looking for, but then again, I will use this monitor mainly for TV shows on my Computer and HD DVD movies and games on my Xbox 360 via VGA or Component. The problem I'm having now is that I'm trying to find a monitor that displays crystal-clear images with amazing color, at the same time. Will I really notice the "lag-input" from the Dell? Also, can anyone upload an image of their 360's dashboard set on the default theme and post it on here? Thanks!

Here's a photo of mine for you:

Let me know how it compares. Not the greatest photo as it was done right before leaving for work, but it gives an example.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8065740@N07/2422349345/sizes/l/

There is a slight change in darkness from top to bottom, but nothing drastic.

Whereas notice this one of the FP241VW (A-MVA) and the big shift from the right-middle towards the right on the screen (left of it is the glare from the window behind me).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8065740@N07/2422359227/sizes/l/
Regards,

10e

That colour darkening towards the top looks pretty drastic to me! :eek:

Is the picture bad, or is it really like that in normal use? If so, TN is definately not for me!

I would say the picture is a bit stronger in nature to the real thing, but if it bothers you, then TN probably isn't your chosen technology, except maybe in a smaller form factor.

I used the most exemplary image to show off the darkening as you go up the screen.

Strangely enough, it is worst on grays and dark colors. Since taking that photo I have leaned it forward a bit to lower the effect.

Regards,

10e

Yeah Hardforum's greys are one of the toughest colours for monitors to produce. On more bright colours, you probably wouldn't notice the effect, unless the colour took up the whole screen.

PVA also has problems with greys like you said, in that it has a similar thing to the TN panel but in a horizontal direction. Not as bad though as it is only noticeable from an angle. IPS obviously avoids these problems, but its costly if all you want to do is browse the internet and play the odd game, but it does look great doing it :D

It probably doesn't help that the TN shot is kind of shot down from above (given the perspective of the picture), so it might be effecting the background more than normal.

But that that is the classic TN effect. I don't notice it on the background so much, but the gray bar for each message is darker toward the top, lighter toward the bottom.

Yeah I'm not sure the pic is a great representation, and it's hardly fair to compare an expensive 30" IPS to a 24" TN either, but I just wanted to show people the difference.

PS. Sorry my pic is so rubbish, I'm no photographer :D

Hey there... I've just read through pretty much the whole of this thread, and I think I've understood most of what's been said. I'm looking for a monitor that'll display the image output from the PS3, whether a 720p or 1080p game/movie/ or just the XMB nice and cleanly without any jagged edges.

It seems from what people are saying here that the BenQ G2400W has 2 modes that make this happen, the 1:1 ratio mode for getting perfect 1080p (which means you'll get black borders top and bottom) and the 'Aspect ratio' mode (something like that?) which will take the 720p image at 1:1 and scale it up to 1080p, again leaving the black boarders, but meaning you get nice sharp text without aliasing and jaggedness..

I'm just looking for someone to confirm this for me, as after reading the entire thread it all got a bit much! Basically, does this monitor display the output from PS3 nicely regardless of it being 720 or 1080p?

Hey there,

What you have said is 100% correct.

- "Aspect" mode in the OSD will upscale any content to full screen, but does not change the aspect ratio at all.
- "1:1" will not scale whatsoever.

The BenQ's scaling is a pure scaler. It does not antialias or anything, but it also does not lower performance, like others do when you are upscaling.

Regards,

10e

Hey there... I've just read through pretty much the whole of this thread, and I think I've understood most of what's been said. I'm looking for a monitor that'll display the image output from the PS3, whether a 720p or 1080p game/movie/ or just the XMB nice and cleanly without any jagged edges.

It seems from what people are saying here that the BenQ G2400W has 2 modes that make this happen, the 1:1 ratio mode for getting perfect 1080p (which means you'll get black borders top and bottom) and the 'Aspect ratio' mode (something like that?) which will take the 720p image at 1:1 and scale it up to 1080p, again leaving the black boarders, but meaning you get nice sharp text without aliasing and jaggedness..

I'm just looking for someone to confirm this for me, as after reading the entire thread it all got a bit much! Basically, does this monitor display the output from PS3 nicely regardless of it being 720 or 1080p?

I will post a better picture tonight.

There is a viewing angle dependent color shift going up, but it may not be quite what that photo reproduces. I will use a different camera to get better representation.

Right now I'm too busy playing with the NEC LCD2690 and its numerous OSD features.

I'm loving this setup more than you can imagine. Super fast gaming on the right side, and just a super display on the left side. Yes, there is $700.00 difference, and I expected that I would love the NEC, but from what I can see, the G2400W is a really well calibrated TN display.

I don't think I'll be changing either of these two displays out for a very long time.

Very happy,

Regards,

10e

Yeah I'm not sure the pic is a great representation, and it's hardly fair to compare an expensive 30" IPS to a 24" TN either, but I just wanted to show people the difference.

PS. Sorry my pic is so rubbish, I'm no photographer :D

just wanted to thank everyone esp 10e for posting. im doing a new build soon, and am looking at monitors. I was going with the gateway, but this post persuaded me to go with the benq. Hopefully Google will send out more coupons for buy.com. Does anyone know if they have a dead pixel policy?

Hi again,

Cheers 10e, great to have that confirmed! So this monitor can display images from PS3 without any jarred edges that wouldnt naturally be there (by that i mean from a game that just doesnt AA very well)?

Gonna order today I think :D

Cheers to everyone for all their input, this thread has saved me some monitor buying stress!

J

How is the scaler in the G2400W?

I'm specifically interested in two scenarios.

One: Running PC games at lower than native res, lower than 1920x1200, so that the monitor would upscale to its native res. Does the monitor still look OK, or is there a noticeable degradation in image quality? Washed out colors, jagged edges?

Two: Displaying a PS3 game that runs at 720p, or anything lower than 1080p, using the aspect ratio mode to fill the screen as much as possible while maintaining the 16x9 image so that the monitor is upscaling from 720p to 1080p basically. The PS3 would be connected via HDMI.

Generally I'd just like to know how this monitor handles upscaling For things not actually running in 1080p with 1:1 active, or in 1920x1200 for pc stuff.

For it's price, this definitely sounds like the best console/gaming monitor around. I looked at the Samsung 2253BW as well as I sort of think 24" is almost too big for me. However, with hdmi, headphone jack, excellent aspect ratio and 1:1 controls and a display that seems to be one of the best around for it's price and construction ... seems like a no brainer. It is also only $25 more than the Samsung.

Thanks for all the info guys, and for anything further about the scaling quality!

Hey there,

The scaler on the G2400W is a simple "line doubler" It doesn't do any smoothing, and the PS3 is notorious for not doing any anti aliasing either, and PS# seems to have no built in scaler, but because the dot pitch on the BenQ is nice and small at .270 (normal for a 24" at 1920x1200) it looks pretty good unless you are sitting 6 inches away. By comparison, the dot pitch on a 22" is .282 which is bigger and grainier.

EDIT: Yes you are right Snowdog, I was thinking of 23" 1920x1200 panels for some reason when I mentioned earlier it's .258.

For PC resolutions, I recommend setting the card to perform scaling as it doesn't lower frames per second performance. So in that sense, if your game is set to 1680x1050 or 1440x900 the nVidia or ATI card will use the hardware scaler to get it up to 1920x1200 (at very good quality I might add) but still perform like those lesser resolutions. If you prefer the monitor to do it, it will not add input lag though.

You'd be surprised how little the difference in size between 22" and 24" monitors is.

If you are looking at a 22" display I've heard good things about the LG L227WTG-PF from users in these forums, but it doesn't have the advanced ratio/scaler control options that the G2400W does.

Regards,

10e

Hey there,

The scaler on the G2400W is a simple "line doubler" It doesn't do any smoothing, and the PS3 is notorious for not doing any anti aliasing either, and PS# seems to have no built in scaler, but because the dot pitch on the BenQ is nice and small at .258 (normal for a 24" at 1920x1200) it looks pretty good unless you are sitting 6 inches away. By comparison, the dot pitch on a 22" is .282 which is bigger and grainier.

24" monitors have .27mm pitch. This is right around the upper limit where things start to look pixleated (for me). The 23" monitors were ~ .258 IIRC.

Scaling is trivial operation and not done by line doubling. De-interlacing is the challenging part and cheaper solutions often get by with line-doubling to de-interlace. But AFAIK, the PS3 outputs progressive signals, so de-interlacing shouldn't be necessary. Lack of AA is a separate issue. If it isn't done in the 3d domain, you really can't fix it later at the monitor. GIGO.

For PC resolutions, I recommend setting the card to perform scaling as it doesn't lower frames per second performance. So in that sense, if your game is set to 1680x1050 or 1440x900 the nVidia or ATI card will use the hardware scaler to get it up to 1920x1200 (at very good quality I might add) but still perform like those lesser resolutions. If you prefer the monitor to do it, it will not add input lag though.

Im not familiar with that feature how do you do that.

Well I just got my G2400W from NCIX. I just had time to screw around with it between classes, but it looks great. I didn't notice any dead pixels, but I should check, considering I purchased the zero dead pixel guarantee. What are some programs I could use to check?

Also, Crysis at 1920x1200 looks amazing. I was limited to 1280x720 with my Samsung, and it really is a night and day difference. The first little bit of the game was playable with everything set to high. Previously my rig would do everything very high at 1280x720 but I don't think that is possible at 1920x1200.

I will have to hook the XBOX360 up, via HDMI, latter tonight for some gears of war action.

You can use either the nVidia control panel or Ati Catalyst control center to do that.

Under "Flat panel scaling" you can set the video card to perform "scaling using video card". This will scale any lower resolution to native and give a fairly smooth image, without the associated performance penalty, as it's the card's scaler chip that does it.

Regards,

10e

Im not familiar with that feature how do you do that.

I would run it for an hour or so first and check. Should be good though. I find I notice them quickly. I use Dead pixel buddy to run through red, green, blue, black, white and look around the screen. Another one is Dead Pixel Tester. DPB is only 23 kb though, so it's always a fast download.

It's a great monitor for HDMI PS3 and 360. You will have no issues at 1080p. Just set the aspect ratio under "display" to aspect or 1:1 for the 360.

Gears looks great on it. I gotta get back in the game and do some multiplayer on it some day soon as well :)

Enjoy,

10e

Well I just got my G2400W from NCIX. I just had time to screw around with it between classes, but it looks great. I didn't notice any dead pixels, but I should check, considering I purchased the zero dead pixel guarantee. What are some programs I could use to check?

Also, Crysis at 1920x1200 looks amazing. I was limited to 1280x720 with my Samsung, and it really is a night and day difference. The first little bit of the game was playable with everything set to high. Previously my rig would do everything very high at 1280x720 but I don't think that is possible at 1920x1200.

I will have to hook the XBOX360 up, via HDMI, latter tonight for some gears of war action.

Let me know how gears looks on it. I'll most likely be getting this monitor and I play that game more so then any other.

The only thing keeping me from ordering it is my 360 launch model, no HDMI, so I would have to buy a YPbPr to HDMI converter which is 70-100 dollars, what an annoyence! :mad: :(

Any thoughts or suggestions on this dillema?

Back