BenQ GW2x50(HM) thread.

I think only one person has reported that issue of AMA failing( Advanced Motion Accelerator, BenQ name for Overdrive ), hardly a reason for looking else where. To some extent this forum reminds me of the film 12 Angry Men, out to "get" this monitor lol.

His support experience, however, is a reason to look elsewhere.

I think only one person has reported that issue of AMA failing( Advanced Motion Accelerator, BenQ name for Overdrive ), hardly a reason for looking else where. To some extent this forum reminds me of the film 12 Angry Men, out to "get" this monitor lol.

The thing that would bother me most about the BenQ as a potential monitor isn't necessarily just Medion's bad experience, but the reports as a whole. And the fact there are very few (not sure if any) super positive comments about this monitor. Even the few who said they like it, or will keep it, include the caveat that angles are lousy, or that color shift is a problem.

If in the US, I'd definitely recommend against it, due to BenQ's customer service. If outside the US, it may be fine, if the buyer has reasonable expectations -- maybe expect it to seem similar to TN but w/ good blacks, somewhat bad horizontal shift, and so-so response times.

the fact there are very few (not sure if any) super positive comments about this monitor. Even the few who said they like it, or will keep it, include the caveat that angles are lousy, or that color shift is a problem.
If in the US, I'd definitely recommend against it, due to BenQ's customer service. If outside the US, it may be fine, if the buyer has reasonable expectations -- maybe expect it to seem similar to TN but w/ good blacks, somewhat bad horizontal shift, and so-so response times.

You're right on. I'm in Canada, i also have contacts that can get me in touch with any manufacturer RMA department, so I'm not too concern about that, though I'd rather not have to go that route, it's nonetheless a hassle.

What I'm torn between atm is the view angle vs response time, I'm not sure as to whats a good compromise. I dislike the ghosting, but I'm doing 5x1. decision decision.

Going to see a gw2450hm in action tmr, I'll probably set it right next to the sa650, and maybe even run some games on it. Too bad i don't work there anymore, otherwise I'd just be at it all day =P

The thing that would bother me most about the BenQ as a potential monitor isn't necessarily just Medion's bad experience, but the reports as a whole. And the fact there are very few (not sure if any) super positive comments about this monitor. Even the few who said they like it, or will keep it, include the caveat that angles are lousy, or that color shift is a problem.

Well some of the reports are dubious ( eg colour issues other than green tint & gamma related ones). Re gamma shift - I think ppl should state their intended purpose & how close they will be to it. If they are going to have 3 or more as a gaming environment with their head & body crazingly bopping from side to side. nose a few inches away then there may be issues. I am using mine as a TV, so 5 or so feet away. In general with desk top monitors I am no closer than 2 feet, often 3 or so. A total angle of +-40 degress on each side of middle fine( often less). Medion was very happy I think until the customer service issue. What irritates me is some of the extreme language being used here as fact ,"angles are lousy". I am starting to think that some ppl here are doing review type tests (testing to "destruction") and treating their results as normal expected use of the monitor. Medion had it right a few comments back, its a matter of choosing your POISON, which type of panel you go for. For me it was watching dvds and tv in the dark and being sick and tired of unconvincing shadows; the reviews also indicated there was no light bleed at the edges of these Benq panels ( unlike some eg Dell ). Motion handling is probably limited by dvd and tv fps and seems well within the Benq capability & is atleast as good as my ( IPS panel ) TV

Last edited:
Now granted, the main reasons I returned mine were a heavy green/pink tint and foreign body behind the panel/in front of the backlight. I definitely felt that color shift wasn't all that much better than the TN panel I had.

the only reason i'd prefer this over the samsung would be this might have less flickering, faster respond time.
we know not to expect perfect view angles, but i'd it over ips glow over ag anyday.

That's why I kept this Monitor.
I probably will check out the PLS panels if i can get a 24" under 400€.

Okay Ive read most of the thread earlier in the week and I saw the BENQ USA tech support problem, the green tint problems and the angle problems.

HOWEVER. If I wanted his for PS3 fighting games. Where I want great:
-input lag
-response time
-decent accuracy/vivid colours
-DVI + HDMI ports

Is this monitor good for me?
I just picked up an Asus VE278Q earlier and it has a terrible high pitch whining sound... I am not happy with it and may exchange for a different screen.

I read your post wrong about the whining sound. ^_^

After trying 4 LCD's (TN IPS VA) to replace my CRT i decided that i could live with this LCD quality till something better comes around.
If you have money to waste than i would say check out the PLS monitors. ;)

Okay Ive read most of the thread earlier in the week and I saw the BENQ USA tech support problem, the green tint problems and the angle problems.

HOWEVER. If I wanted his for PS3 fighting games. Where I want great:
-input lag
-response time
-decent accuracy/vivid colours
-DVI + HDMI ports

Is this monitor good for me?
I just picked up an Asus VE278Q earlier and it has a terrible high pitch whining sound... I am not happy with it and may exchange for a different screen.

well if u look at the TFT review mentioned above they claim the input lag is very good ( class 1) and the pixel response good enough for many fast games. Re colours - I think the colours are very good ( I have the GW2450HM)- the greens and reds quite vivid at times, compared to my tv. It does seem though that some people here have got an aversion to this monitor. So its a matter of go take a look. I am using mine as a TV thru vga and am very pleased with mine. In the UK they are also quite cheap for a good 24". No whining sounds and it remains cool. No external psu - uses the standard kettle plug. Nicely made, not cheap or nasty

Last edited:
There seem to be 2 GW2450HMs now --

9H.L8RLB.QBE ( the one I have )

9H.L8RLA.TBE ( this one seems to have popped up at Ebuyer in UK)

the last an update?

both have identical spec and seem to be genuine codes ( I did a google )

There is a V7 of the panel used in the GW2450HM that looks to be new. Main difference is power consumption. 27W vs 17W. Although I doubt its used in this new monitor revision, but its possible. I guess they finally figured out that they were overshooting brightness specs by a boatload and decided to redo it.

Thats the main gripe I had about the GW2750HM which I was very interested in before the reviews came out. 400 cdm2 is too much for my lightsensitive butt and that its 100 cdm2 over specs is just annoying. The 24" is not that bad with 50 cdm2 over specs, but still.

There are also new panels M240HVN01.1 and M270HVN01.1 that matches the specs partially but info is missing for the rest of the specs.

Then theres the two 27" and one 24", 120hz panels that have not seen action yet. My guess is Benq gonna have them out sometime this fall. Though they gonna get a hard time to follow up the XL2420TX. Gamers are gonna rage about the ghosting of these AMVA panels. Dont get me wrong. They're probably going to be good. But not good enough for hardcore gamers. Just like these here GW models. However, should be excellent for costeffective personal movie watching. With the 3D and contrast ratio.

CrabJuice -
Thats the main gripe I had about the GW2750HM which I was very interested in before the reviews came out. 400 cdm2 is too much for my lightsensitive butt and that its 100 cdm2 over specs is just annoying. The 24" is not that bad with 50 cdm2 over specs, but still.

Well for ppl like me reducing the brightness will be a shame - most TVs are either 300 cdm2 or for bigger ones 400 cdm2 and above.

BenQ will end up not meeting the needs of any group - the gamers for motion blur and media ppl who need bright screens. A shame.

Well for ppl like me reducing the brightness will be a shame - most TVs are either 300 cdm2 or for bigger ones 400 cdm2 and above.

BenQ will end up not meeting the needs of any group - the gamers for motion blur and media ppl who need bright screens. A shame.
One of the 27" 120hz panels is actually rated at 300 and the other 400. ;)
Then, I dont think gamers mind bright screens. Or most people actually. I'm a minority, albeit with an agenda that will make the best of both worlds of luminance.

well mine has now lasted 6-7 weeks and the AMA overdrive thinghy still working.
Still very pleased with mine.

Hello guys! :)

I want to replace my old monitor (Samsung 225MW) and I’m searching for a good option. I have two monitors in my mind, GW2450HM and GW2750HM (I don’t like the horribles glow and bleeding of IPS’ panels), but I don’t know if the price’s difference between both is fair or a steal. I want it for connect my PC and play with my Xbox 360. May you help me, please?

Thanks so much!

well mine has now lasted 6-7 weeks and the AMA overdrive thinghy still working.
Still very pleased with mine.

Mine is in the attic waiting on the BenQ shipping label they promised me almost a month ago. Had it not failed, I'd still be using it. It was an outstanding monitor and didn't deserve the hate it got here.

I want to replace my old monitor (Samsung 225MW) and I’m searching for a good option. I have two monitors in my mind, GW2450HM and GW2750HM (I don’t like the horribles glow and bleeding of IPS’ panels), but I don’t know if the price’s difference between both is fair or a steal. I want it for connect my PC and play with my Xbox 360. May you help me, please?

Thanks so much!

It really is as simple as this: do you want a 24" or a 27"? If you want a 27", then the 24" won't satisfy you and vice versa. They're both essentially the same monitor (slightly better overdrive on the 24", slightly better contrast on the 27", but both within tolerances). Get the size you want.

The 24" is little bit faster and the 27" has a little bit better blacks i bought the 24" because i prefered a fates panel and 80€ more for only 3" is simply too much.

Last edited:
I think the 24'' is fine for me. What about the gamma shift?

Last edited:
Mine is in the attic waiting on the BenQ shipping label they promised me almost a month ago. Had it not failed, I'd still be using it. It was an outstanding monitor and didn't deserve the hate it got here.

Well If I was you I would send them a recorded delivery letter (or what ever passes for that in the US) requiring they collect it or arrange collection by a certain date or it will be disposed of? You may end up with a freebie?

Thanks so much!

One of the reasons I got the GW2450HM was that the TFT review I saw indicated that there was no bleed at the edges, unlike many other makes.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2450hm.htm

Good therefore for watching dvds that are not 16:9. Mine is fine in that respect. Any borders are much darker than my proper lcd TV. As for gamma shift - that seems to trouble a lot of people here. I use mine as a TV so am 5-6 feet away so it doesnt affect me much. Dont know where you are but it seems that the price in the UK is strangely much less than in the USA say. ( 24" can be got for 132 UK pounds ( $209), 27" for 183 UK pounds ( $290) ) If you are in the USA you should take note of Medion's bad experience & dont bother with any thing BenQ. You will prob have to lower the green level and if using hdmi follow medions advice in earlier posts, to get good blacks. ( I use vga )

I suspect any gamma shift is more noticable with the 27" than the 24" at normal monitor distances

Last edited:
So is the general feeling that this monitor is good for FPS games like BF3 or is it bad?

Still cant calibrate my gw2450 properly, some blue shades turn purple.

well unless u have the gear to calibrate can be hit and miss. The only thing I "know" is flesh tones - thats what I used. And also looking at B/W films looking for colour casts. How do you know what the real colour viewed is any way? Using another monitor?

These monitors do have a faint ips type glow that is purplish ( rather than white ) if viewed off centre?

Last edited:
How do you know what the real colour viewed is any way? Using another monitor?
Yea, i have CRT laying around, and and average tn panel, if you put them next to 2450 and say, look at google search links, they look way too purple on 2450 compared to both CRT and TN panel i have.

These monitors do have a faint ips type glow that is purplish ( rather than white ) if viewed off centre?
I wouldn't really compare it to ips glow, but black screen viewed off centre(waaaay off centre) gets slightly purplish.

Yea, i have CRT laying around, and and average tn panel, if you put them next to 2450 and say, look at google search links, they look way too purple on 2450 compared to both CRT and TN panel i have.

I wouldn't really compare it to ips glow, but black screen viewed off centre(waaaay off centre) gets slightly purplish.

well I just compared to my 2 Phillips lcds -

The "come here often bar" of google - the blue there is more a yellow middayish sky blue . whereas for the 2450 the blue is more a sun has gone down looking away from sunset blue - deeper and more vibrant, but still blue. Which is the right one? I have noticed that many of the colours are more vibrant on the 2450 than my presumably tn lcds.

But I dont see any purples though.

The links go purple/mauve if you have already visited them of course.

my setting -

Red 94
Green 88
Blue 100

Black level ( u need that special tool to change these #237 page 12 I think Kikou)
Red 50
Green 46
Blue 50

Last edited:
well I just compared to my 2 Phillips lcds -

my setting -

Red 94
Green 88
Blue 100

Black level ( u need that special tool to change these #237 page 12 I think Kikou)
Red 50
Green 46
Blue 50

What contrast do you use with these? contrast value affects color a lot on this panel.

What contrast do you use with these? contrast value affects color a lot on this panel.

Brightness 23
Contrast 50
gamma 3

These settings give good skin colours, in my view

For a TV maybe a bit dark. But I watch in the dark

Last edited:
So is the general feeling that this monitor is good for FPS games like BF3 or is it bad?

cant help u as I only make modest demands of mine as a TV, for which it is fine. This forum in general doesnt like these monitors, so doubt you will get much of an answer.

I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but, for prospective buyers of the GW2750HM, be aware of what version you buy.

It looks like there's a disproportionate number of this model with a defective or unsatisfactory AMA/response time overdrive.
Just a few weeks back, BenQ Korea issued a press release announcing a new firmware upgrade for the GW2750HM focused on correcting the AMA and offered Korean buyers up until july 31 to bring/send back their monitors to their support center for free servicing, although they made it clear that refunds or exchanges were impossible.
In this thread dedicated to the GW2750HM, a BenQ Customer Service Representative links to a site listing the serial numbers of the potentially defective models present in the Korean market and advises any unlucky owners to take up BenQ on their free servicing offer. He then goes on to add that the new firmware is dated june 2012 and that all new monitors bought in Korea after june 15th are safe (i.e. they have the new firmware).

Unfortunately it all becomes murky outside the Korean market as it is clear that there is quite a number of old version GW2750HMs still available through retail in the US and Europe. For example, the monitor used in the tftcentral review is an old version as can attest this screengrab taken from their site where we can see that the firmware is dated March 2012.
As they haven't said a word outside of Korea, maybe BenQ looks to get rid of the current stock of their Euro/US old version models before these are replaced with the revised versions while hoping the vast majority of customers don't notice anything. I don't know. Anyway, check the firmware version before buying.

How to check the firmware version through factory mode screen: Hold down the menu button while the monitor is being powered up. Then, press Menu again. If the firmware is dated March 2012, you have the old version. If the firmware is dated June 2012 you have the revised version and should be safe.

Playwares review of the old GW2750HM (already linked earlier in the thread): http://www.playwares.com/xe/23283703
Playwares review of the revised GW2750HM: http://www.playwares.com/xe/23624550

I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but, for prospective buyers of the GW2750HM, be aware of what version you buy.

It looks like there's a disproportionate number of this model with a defective or unsatisfactory AMA/response time overdrive.
If the firmware is dated June 2012 you have the revised version and should be safe.

I count about 1300?

very interesting - this applies only to the 27" not the 24"?

Its strange that tftcentral and other reviewers didnt find anything wrong with their examples, if they had bad ones?

would you please summarise the differences that playware found between the 2 models , for those who dont speak the lingo and for whom the pages are just gobbledegook?

This I found by following some of the links - seems to be a comparison old/revised models re responsiveness.

http://www.playwares.com/xe/23624596

Dont understand whats being said though. Though the graphs seem to show some thing?

It looks to me as if the two models are comparable if you use Premium AMA, they are only differnt when AMA is off or on High?

It seems the big improvment is the Green-Blue-Green ( what ever that is)

I seem to remember TFTcentral said that the 2450 was faster than the 2750 -is this what we are seeing?

It looks to me not so much a defect but an optimisation issue?

Last edited:
lpakto
March is bad and June is good. How about April - does it use the older firmware? I've seen one today, but it had a dead pixel... Will comeback tomorrow and check another one.

Back