BenQ V2400W In Depth Review

First off I'd like to say you do did a great job with a review, but there's a couple of things I'd like a little help with.

You mentioned there's an issue with pulsing dark lines in the black bar whilst displaying a 1080P image, please could you explain how strong and visible these lines are? Perhaps if you could include a high res shot of the whole screen showing the bars in context.

Also, I had a Dell 2408WFP which I am replacing because of awful levels of input lag, the Dell did have very good viewing angles though because it wasn't a TN panel. Subjectively, how much worse are the viewing angles compared to the Dell?

Similarly, are the verticle viewing angles so bad on TN panels that even when veiwing the display head on, the lower portion of the image is washed out when compared to the top level?

Bottom line if i want bang for buck and a step up from the G2400w without regarding the stand or aesthetics of the V2400w my best choice is G2400WD?

Yes, the G2400WD is definitely a good choice for the money.

Compared to the G2400W you get overdrive and dynamic contrast. If those things are important to you it would be a step up.

Regards,
10e

Bottom line if i want bang for buck and a step up from the G2400w without regarding the stand or aesthetics of the V2400w my best choice is G2400WD?

Here's a full size link to my GT5 Prologue image that might give you an idea of those lines:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3158/2577805599_b7b2965bec_o.jpg

Here's another view of the lines at higher res from the G2400W:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2315/2464196221_9dc0516de2_b.jpg

Horizontally the viewing angles on the V2400W would be as good or slightly better than the 2408WFP. You don't get that "3d" grey look with the HardForums like you get with the PVA panel in the Dell, where the middle is darker than the left and right side.

With a TN panel the top will be a bit darker than the bottom. It's best to put your eyes level or near level with the top of the panel to minimize the effect.

I don't consider it horrible, but to each their own. Any Best Buy or Circuit City will have racks of TN monitors to give you a good idea of TN viewing angles if you want to see them in person.

Regards,

10e

First off I'd like to say you do did a great job with a review, but there's a couple of things I'd like a little help with.

You mentioned there's an issue with pulsing dark lines in the black bar whilst displaying a 1080P image, please could you explain how strong and visible these lines are? Perhaps if you could include a high res shot of the whole screen showing the bars in context.

Also, I had a Dell 2408WFP which I am replacing because of awful levels of input lag, the Dell did have very good viewing angles though because it wasn't a TN panel. Subjectively, how much worse are the viewing angles compared to the Dell?

Similarly, are the verticle viewing angles so bad on TN panels that even when veiwing the display head on, the lower portion of the image is washed out when compared to the top level?

Good result. The sides are being cut off at a very low 1% rate which is great. Other monitors sometimes cut off up to 5% of the image. I’m very happy with 1080p over HDMI here. The 480P at 1:1 pixel mapping is so small it’s funny but it is correct.

In fact about 5% of the image width is cut off (somewhat 4.89%).
/Xbox 360 over HDMI/

You are correct.

Strangely enough the Tiger Dave image for 720x480 displayed properly at 1.5 to 1 over 360 and PS3 but the actual "desktop" did not. I cannot test Xbox 360 over HDMI to DVI with NEC because it will only do 640x480.

The NEC displays the "desktop" correctly at 1.5 to 1 with PS3 at 480p, but the image displays incorrectly. I'll have to look at it later with a different image because I think the consoles are screwing with the image. If I deem it to be wrong I will update the review.

BTW, the backlight at 0, 25, 50, 75, 100 has very little flicker if any. In fact it flickered less through my camera than the LCD2690 did at equivalent brightness settings and different camera settings.

No combs either.

Regards,

10e

In fact about 5% of the image width is cut off (somewhat 4.89%).
/Xbox 360 over HDMI/

Hey 10e, nice review, very helpful. I'm considering buying either the G2400W or V2400W, the G2400WD doesn't appear to be available in Australia. The G2400W I can pick up for $430-460AUD, but the V2400W is $550-570ish. The thing that appeals to me in your review about the V is that you mention it does blacks better, which I really like. Generally I play games at much lower brightness settings than most people (playing COD4 I often have to use night vision in multiplayer just to see people on some maps, lol). Do you think the V2400W is worth the extra $100AUD (around 22-25% more expensive)?

Also, a couple of questions, firstly with scaling. How well does it actually scale lower resolutions compared to other monitors? Like this Asus MK241H reviewed over at anandtech had pretty horrible scaling, but the 2493hm samsung looked alright:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=3

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=11

Its important if watching or playing something at a lower a resolution, often you dont have the option of playing at 1920x1200 or 1080p but still dont want to be staring at a tiny image in the middle of the monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping.

Lastly, you mentioned the bottom of the height of the bottom of the bezel off the desk, how high is the actual bottom of the monitor itself, the panel? Is it any higher than the G2400W (the G2400W looks lower, but it might just be an illusion because of the assymetric design of the V). One concern I have is that when sitting at my desk I'll end up having to look up at the monitor, which really bugs me when I'm trying to study. I currently have a 20" and even though I want a bigger monitor I dont want it to sit any higher, and its not my desk (living on campus at university) so I dont have the option of cutting a hole in it to make it sit lower.

Awesome review though! Its helped me. I hope to be buying a new monitor next week.
Cheers

Other than 1360x768, the G2400W handles all pre-set PC resolutions like 1280x1024, 1440x900 and 1680x1050 as well as the V2400W and it allows full, aspect or ratio scaling over DVI properly. Certain non-standard PC resolutions are not handled as well with the G2400W (like 480p, 720p) over DVI but 1280x800 is.

The one advantage the G2400W has is that it will go darker by about 30 cdm/2 than the V2400W at around 50 contrast, and it does not lose a huge amount of contrast.

For you I wouldn't absolutely say that the extra cost would be a worthwhile investment. Your needs would be well-served by the G2400W currently or you can wait for the G2400WD, which hopefully will make it "down under" soon.

The bottom of the case is 4 inches/10 cm from the desk on the V2400W, and the bezel is .875 inches/2.25 cm thick so I would estimate the actual screen starts exactly 4.875 inches from the desk, or 12.07 cm.

My G2400W is on an arm so it is not indicative of the height of the monitor, but the G2400W sits as low or lower.

Regards,

10e

QUOTE=Tudz;1032621230]Hey 10e, nice review, very helpful. I'm considering buying either the G2400W or V2400W, the G2400WD doesn't appear to be available in Australia. The G2400W I can pick up for $430-460AUD, but the V2400W is $550-570ish. The thing that appeals to me in your review about the V is that you mention it does blacks better, which I really like. Generally I play games at much lower brightness settings than most people (playing COD4 I often have to use night vision in multiplayer just to see people on some maps, lol). Do you think the V2400W is worth the extra $100AUD (around 22-25% more expensive)?

Also, a couple of questions, firstly with scaling. How well does it actually scale lower resolutions compared to other monitors? Like this Asus MK241H reviewed over at anandtech had pretty horrible scaling, but the 2493hm samsung looked alright:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=3

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=11

Its important if watching or playing something at a lower a resolution, often you dont have the option of playing at 1920x1200 or 1080p but still dont want to be staring at a tiny image in the middle of the monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping.

Lastly, you mentioned the bottom of the height of the bottom of the bezel off the desk, how high is the actual bottom of the monitor itself, the panel? Is it any higher than the G2400W (the G2400W looks lower, but it might just be an illusion because of the assymetric design of the V). One concern I have is that when sitting at my desk I'll end up having to look up at the monitor, which really bugs me when I'm trying to study. I currently have a 20" and even though I want a bigger monitor I dont want it to sit any higher, and its not my desk (living on campus at university) so I dont have the option of cutting a hole in it to make it sit lower.

Awesome review though! Its helped me. I hope to be buying a new monitor next week.
Cheers[/QUOTE]

It's very easy. The "Enter" hotkey next to the power button doubles up as an input switch. This is the case on all BenQ monitors.

My apologies I didn't cover the OSD, but GTOViper seems to be doing a good job of that on the "stickied" review thread :)

Regards,

10e

Oh, ok. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, how easy is it to switch between different inputs?

hey 10e, this is really an indepth review! and i think i'm Sold with this monitor ...it has the look and the quality ... i know the benq estore in the states is selling it at 409 USD which i think is a really good price, but i'm from Canada, where can i buy this from?

You can get it from www.ncix.com. They also offer a dead pixel warranty that covers return shipping costs and allows cross-shipping. Cross-shipping is when they will send you a replacement prior to receiving your original.

I haven't seen many retailers with this (if any at all) in stock yet, but it should become more common within the next few weeks.

What part of Canada are you in?

Regards,

10e

hey 10e, this is really an indepth review! and i think i'm Sold with this monitor ...it has the look and the quality ... i know the benq estore in the states is selling it at 409 USD which i think is a really good price, but i'm from Canada, where can i buy this from?

Great review. I like how this monitor looks and now that there's a good in-depth review of it it looks like this will be the monitor I will buy. Thank you 10e.

Many thanks 10e. I might pick this monitor up, but I have an old Xbox 360 (VGA), so I guess I should hold off until they fix it.

another 10x10 great review..and thank you very much for taking the time to put it up.
I have the older 2400 and more than satisfied with it. BUT I do wish I had this one too.

I am REALLY embarrassed to see what form a promotion campaign may have in a public forum.

I expect a kind of but never to such a degree.

Shame.

I don't see why.

Especially considered your name is now mentioned in the review :) Check Part 2 in regards to 480p.

Like I said, this monitor is no golden egg. It is what I would expect from retail based on G2400W experiences. I would have spotted this and indicated as such if I thought there was something special about it.

Yes, the monitor was sent from BenQ America, but at least it is not similar to what Samsung has done in the past (ie. 226BW) where reviewers received the Samsung panel and consumers received AUO, CPT or CMO panels. BenQ only uses AUO because they are both under the Acer group, and the panel is from AUO based on the service menu which is what consumers should expect.

It also does not mean that other reviewers here will have the same exact experience. Maybe one will get a unit with severe backlight bleeding, or flickering issues and such.

It would have been purely promotional if I had given it a glowing review and not mentioned, or ignored, the issues pertaining to the monitor.

It is what it is. Save the conspiracy theories for more important things.

Regards,

10e

I am REALLY embarrassed to see what form a promotion campaign may have in a public forum.

I expect a kind of but never to such a degree.

Shame.

I don't see why.

Especially considered your name is now mentioned in the review :) Check Part 2 in regards to 480p.

Like I said, this monitor is no golden egg. It is what I would expect from retail based on G2400W experiences. I would have spotted this and indicated as such if I thought there was something special about it.

Yes, the monitor was sent from BenQ America, but at least it is not similar to what Samsung has done in the past (ie. 226BW) where reviewers received the Samsung panel and consumers received AUO, CPT or CMO panels. BenQ only uses AUO because they are both under the Acer group, and the panel is from AUO based on the service menu which is what consumers should expect.

It also does not mean that other reviewers here will have the same exact experience. Maybe one will get a unit with severe backlight bleeding, or flickering issues and such.

It would have been purely promotional if I had given it a glowing review and not mentioned, or ignored, the issues pertaining to the monitor.

It is what it is. Save the conspiracy theories for more important things.

Regards,

10e

From technical point of view - I am sure that you post what you see.

In this whole story three things upset me:
1. Regular retail items should be used for reviews, not those from a manufacturer.
2. Ethical issue of participating in manufacturers' campaigns.
3. In other forums, after starting a thread (review) of a product, you are not allowed to post in your own thread until somebody else posts. Threfore you are not allowed (to prevent promotion) to keep a particular product thread on top of the forum list by your own postings (you'll get points!) - it's entirely up to readers interest to keep in on top or not. In this case OMG - it's "sticky"... No conspiracy - pure open marketing.

I'am not the boss here, it's not my business.
I just express my own (mistaking?) opinion as an ordinary forum member.

Actually one thing I noticed in your review was the contrast ratio you found for the V2400W. You stated it was above the 900:1 mark (and provided a test result picture also), but this site lists it being below 800 for both 200 and 100cd/m^2. Click the drop down menu and go to "contrast measurements".

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=48&mo2=304&p2=2943&ph=7

Not saying its some sort of consipiracy or anything, but its something I noticed because I was using that site to check the difference between the G and V before you posted your review. According to that site the V actually drops below the G in contrast ratio as you lower the brightness.

But I'm no expert, it could just be variation between different monitors of the same type, I dont know how accurate all these tests are or how consistant panel quality is within the same model of monitor.

I'll check it again tonight to ensure accuracy.

I generally test at 50 contrast but I don't know what settings they use. I use the same colorimeter (Eye One Display 2 that came with my SpectraView II bundle) but I use Basiccolor 4.1.8 for Windows vs. Lacie Blue Eye Pro, which I couldn't get in time for the review here in Canada. I originally used a trial licence, but have since purchased this excellent software (BasicColor).

Funny thing is that my G2400W needs over 60 contrast to get to their contrast ratios. At 50 which I use, the contrast ratio is in the 650:1 area.

I also generally use the colorimeter for at least 10 minutes straight prior to taking measurements to ensure it warms up and results don't vary much. I also make sure the monitor has been on for at least 30 minutes active prior to calibration/testing.

You will notice though, that our color calibration graphs are pretty close (outside of software differences).

I'll let you know what I find, and I'll retest the G2400W to for accuracy sake.

Good call.

10e

Actually one thing I noticed in your review was the contrast ratio you found for the V2400W. You stated it was above the 900:1 mark (and provided a test result picture also), but this site lists it being below 800 for both 200 and 100cd/m^2. Click the drop down menu and go to "contrast measurements".

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=48&mo2=304&p2=2943&ph=7

Not saying its some sort of consipiracy or anything, but its something I noticed because I was using that site to check the difference between the G and V before you posted your review. According to that site the V actually drops below the G in contrast ratio as you lower the brightness.

But I'm no expert, it could just be variation between different monitors of the same type, I dont know how accurate all these tests are or how consistant panel quality is within the same model of monitor.

From technical point of view - I am sure that you post what you see.

In this whole story three things upset me:
1. Regular retail items should be used for reviews, not those from a manufacturer.
2. Ethical issue of participating in manufacturers' campaigns.
3. In other forums, after starting a thread (review) of a product, you are not allowed to post in your own thread until somebody else posts. Threfore you are not allowed (to prevent promotion) to keep a particular product thread on top of the forum list by your own postings (you'll get points!) - it's entirely up to readers interest to keep in on top or not. In this case OMG - it's "sticky"... No conspiracy - pure open marketing.

I'am not the boss here, it's not my business.
I just express my own (mistaking?) opinion as an ordinary forum member.

I can tell you from my own purchase direct from BenQ store, that my monitor was packaged exactly like GTOViper's package. The monitor boxed inside a bigger box with peanuts. I didn't see e10's outside packaging of the monitor box so I'm not sure if his was shipped that way as well. I can tell you that my monitor looks identical to both GTOViper's and e10's monitors - front to back, top to bottom, side to side. I think they did get 'retail' version and not some special version for reviewers only.

Save the conspiracy theories for more important things

Conspiracies ........... everywhere. Maybe BenQ is part of the Trilateral Commission and conspired to put the stuck pixel on my retail screen to create more global warming and the Bilderbergs are meeting in Bohemian Grove to create a new world order through the NAU with these cool, slim but diabolical monitors.

Of course this is a shameless act of self-promotion. I don't think anyone here is under the impression that it is not. At least the item is relevant to the field and interesting, if just a typical display.

As always, you have to ignore the obvious bias of the marketers...they have zero interest in you other than how much money they can get from you. They lure you with specs or design, or outright lie to you.

Either the product is right for you or it isn't, at least in a forum like this you can ask questions and get clarifications...that is if you trust the source. Worst case scenario is that if you really do want the display and you don't like it, you suck up the return charges and be thankful you have the choice at all!

Well I am part of the "Skull society" you know. How do you think I afford all this stuff ?

Thanks for the enlightenment LOL.

Regards,

10e

Conspiracies ........... everywhere. Maybe BenQ is part of the Trilateral Commission and conspired to put the stuck pixel on my retail screen to create more global warming and the Bilderbergs are meeting in Bohemian Grove to create a new world order through the NAU with these cool, slim but diabolical monitors.

Yup, that's how mine arrived. It came in a larger box covering the retail package.

I was happy to see this. If you ever saw the horrible, pathetic excuse for packaging on the G2400W you would be happy you bought the V.

Enjoy

10e

I can tell you from my own purchase direct from BenQ store, that my monitor was packaged exactly like GTOViper's package. The monitor boxed inside a bigger box with peanuts. I didn't see e10's outside packaging of the monitor box so I'm not sure if his was shipped that way as well. I can tell you that my monitor looks identical to both GTOViper's and e10's monitors - front to back, top to bottom, side to side. I think they did get 'retail' version and not some special version for reviewers only.

I've had one of these for a little over a month now. Took the plunge even without any reviews availiable. No hard numbers to back up claims (just the use of multiple 22" TN monitors as experience,) but I agree with a lot of the things pointed out in the review. Practically identical spot for heat (it isn't noticable unless really feeling for it,) same slight backlight bleed from the bottom (least that I've seen from a 'cheap' panel,) and the REALLY good default settings being the most notable.

Never did try xbox360 over vga or see if scaling at 480p was correct. Works fine at 720 and 1080p over HDMI so not really an issue for me. No bluray player so I can't comment on those banding issues on the screen. Bought from a bricks and mortar store and the packaging was identical (thought it was strange that the video cable was already plugged in.)

And yeah viewing from below sucks as shown in the pics, but again not an issue if you sit in front of it. Though personally I'd have thought they'd have used a lower stand so little kiddies, etc wouldn't notice it.

Paid $570AU or so for it, suprised if it's as low as people are saying already. Definately worth it if you can get it shipped for under $480-500US.

Very nice review 10e.

I get a kick out of those that think this review is biased because of the terms the product was reviewed. A lot of reviewers get their items from a manufacturer just like 10e did; however it is not unheard of to have a reviewer give a better score to keep getting review products from said vendor. This being a one-time shot helps keep these reviewers a little more honest. There is really nothing stopping the reviewers saying exactly how they see the product… good or bad.

I do agree getting something for nothing has a certain "joy" factor and could possibly affect a review, but I don’t believe this is the case in this review. If you give me a sub-par monitor and ask me to do a review of it, I'll call it as I see it.

Very nice review, I'll be upgrading to a complete new system, including monitor, and 24" is my target size. This will help me in my decision making.

I've been waiting for this monitor to arrive for a few months, ever since it was first announced on TFTcentral way back when.

10e, props again for the review and especially for posting in so many threads for all who are too lazy to read all the other similar topics and want their questions answered even if identical ones were asked a day ago by someone else. (sorry for the mini rant, i just like to do my own research a lot and admire your helpfulness to all)

Your review seems to cover almost everything, but you left out the kitchen sink (SHAME ON YOU!)
the PS3, the Xbox the Blue Ray, and most importantly, the gaming. I just did a google search for this monitor, and without pointing any fingers, you reviews beats any other one out there.
I think only BeHardware could have done a better job, and only because they have better equipment.

for the record, here is a face-to-face comparison of lag times
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=52&mo2=149&p2=1606&ph=12
its listed as 8ms avg vs 31 for the NEC 2690 WUXi which we all know has one of the best IPS panels out there (same as the doublesight)

Again, props, and if Kyle and you are ok in letting you do a reviews every so often, then I think we will be very thankful.

just for the record, from the other thread I gathered that you picked this one over the G2400W that you had before?

You da reviewer

Thanks much,

If you look at Jim Robbins' review he lists it as having absolutely no lag, which is great.

Funny enough the V2400W is sitting next to my NEC right now, and I'm still very happy with this setup. It does everything and more.

I'm glad you found the review helpful. NOTE to SELF: Kitchen Sink! :)

Cheers,

10e

I've been waiting for this monitor to arrive for a few months, ever since it was first announced on TFTcentral way back when.

10e, props again for the review and especially for posting in so many threads for all who are too lazy to read all the other similar topics and want their questions answered even if identical ones were asked a day ago by someone else. (sorry for the mini rant, i just like to do my own research a lot and admire your helpfulness to all)

Your review seems to cover almost everything, but you left out the kitchen sink (SHAME ON YOU!)
the PS3, the Xbox the Blue Ray, and most importantly, the gaming. I just did a google search for this monitor, and without pointing any fingers, you reviews beats any other one out there.
I think only BeHardware could have done a better job, and only because they have better equipment.

for the record, here is a face-to-face comparison of lag times
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=52&mo2=149&p2=1606&ph=12
its listed as 8ms avg vs 31 for the NEC 2690 WUXi which we all know has one of the best IPS panels out there (same as the doublesight)

Again, props, and if Kyle and you are ok in letting you do a reviews every so often, then I think we will be very thankful.

just for the record, from the other thread I gathered that you picked this one over the G2400W that you had before?

You da reviewer

Thanks a lot.

I still point people to your review of the different monitors you went through a few months back when they are interested in the Samsung 2693HM or Hannspree.

My review was constructed to simply give my forum friends the most accurate and complete information I could with the equipment I have. I listed the pluses and minuses in order that they see a stop sign if it doesn't do something they want.

The monitor coming for cheap didn't affect a single part of the review except for the first few sentences where I thanked Kyle, the [H] and BenQ America.

After that it's down to business.

My obligation is to the real people here who spend real, hard-earned $$$ on this stuff. I hate giving people bad advice on anything, because that means they wasted cash on crap. Something we've all done with PC stuff and hate doing.

Cheers and thanks,

10e

Very nice review 10e.

I get a kick out of those that think this review is biased because of the terms the product was reviewed. A lot of reviewers get their items from a manufacturer just like 10e did; however it is not unheard of to have a reviewer give a better score to keep getting review products from said vendor. This being a one-time shot helps keep these reviewers a little more honest. There is really nothing stopping the reviewers saying exactly how they see the product… good or bad.

I do agree getting something for nothing has a certain "joy" factor and could possibly affect a review, but I don’t believe this is the case in this review. If you give me a sub-par monitor and ask me to do a review of it, I'll call it as I see it.

Would this be a great monitor for me? or should i go with the lesser G2400W for 80 bucks less

I pretty much play TF2, some COD4, Bioshock, Everquest, WOW, etc. Watch some movies, not may though. Mainly games, surfing and watching some youtube. I'm coming from an Acer 19" ;/

if you want to go with the G model, you should go with G2400WD - a newer and faster version of G2400W - 2 ms and dynamic contrast ratio.

Rydawg5143, I was wondering the same thing, but if you buy it directly from Benq website,
they are giving $90 off, so it comes to the same price as the G2400W.

BUT, can anyone who has used or knows about both the G2400W and the new V2400w answer
which is REALLY better? Especially for gaming on PC and Xbox 360 HDMI? Because check out the Face to Face comparison and the G2400W is actually WAY FASTER with LESS LAG???

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&ma2=48&mo2=304&p2=2943&ph=12

Any reviewers please chime in on your thoughts of which of the two are better. I also went to Best Buy and looked at the Gateway FHD2400 (since I need HDMI and DVI-D HCDP) and I could not stand that the monitor totally changed colors and darkened when you move your head up or down at all. I also heard that you can not have your computer hooked up DVI and get your post/bios screen to show. Is this true? I am coming from using a Samsung 214T which is a 1600x1200 21inch MVA screen. The colors and viewing angles are excellent, but I need widescreen 1080p now and a faster panel for games. I don't want to waste $500 on a monitor I can't stand, especially if better technology (better viewing angles, especially vertically and less lag/faster response) monitors are coming out soon. Obviously I am looking for the best looking, fastest for gaming, and has both HDMI and DVI with HDCP for use with PC (DVI and need to see my bios!), Xbox 360 HDMI, and future blue ray. Please help....

Back