BenQ V2400W LCD Monitor

Yes, that's right, I would as I'm an extremely fickle person. I went from Dell to Doublesight to BenQ and now I'm back to Dell/BenQ again- all in two weeks. Yes, I don't think it's worth $400, but I need a monitor and will buy it and complain and whine every step of the way.

In all honesty though, I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME, MAKE UP MY MIND ON WHICH 24 INCH MONITOR I WANT TO BUY! ANYONE ELSE IN THE SAME BOAT AS ME????:confused:
If I was going to buy another, I would definitely search around for a BenQ FP241W(Z). Been incredibly pleased by it, and while I haven't seen these newer G2400/V2400 displays, going by specs alone their old FP241's are far superior.

If I was going to buy another, I would definitely search around for a BenQ FP241W(Z). Been incredibly pleased by it, and while I haven't seen these newer G2400/V2400 displays, going by specs alone their old FP241's are far superior.

Yes, I want the FP241W, as it has height adjustable stand, pivot and USB, just like my old Dell 2007WFP (BTW- I should have never gotten rid of it on Craigslist last month -Doh!) I was planning on upgrading to the Dell 2408WFP, however the current panel on that thing is basically infested will all sorts of weird problems that I won't go into here.

Where in the world can I find a FP241W - as I've heard many great things. I haven't had a monitor in over a month. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the G2400 in light of what lostsupper posted....

if you are in US go check with BenQ USA eStore..I think they are still having some left...

it's a VA panel....this is the fundamental difference which makes me feel it's not fair to compare
V2400W with FP241W/VW...the price is different because of the panel(&cost) is different...

I would like to know if it compares to a G2400W and has same features and specifications such as good with console gaming over HDMI and does not stretch out the screen.

I should also mention that Benq committed an error in shipping. I placed my order on Tuesday, with the understanding that "2nd day afternoon" would have it to me Thursday or at the latest Friday.

When I hadn't received a tracking number or the monitor by Friday, I called Benq and was told that they did not have any shipping information for my order number. I asked the CSR for clarification--had the order not shipped or had Benq no information to share. The CSR seemed very confused, but told me that since the monitor was in stock, there was no reason to expect that it had not shipped. I told him that I had expected delivery by then, to which he responded "if we get any information, we'll email it to you."

Because of the holiday, the monitor arrived Tuesday...the same day Benq emailed my a tracking number. Now I'm trying to have my original shipping cost refunded, due to the incorrect information I was given by their tech support department. They refunded me the difference between "ground" and "2nd day afternoon" already, but I'd very much like for them to issue a full refund. It's bad enough that I have to pay to RMA the monitor that I purchased on the assurance of an ill-informed tech support agent.

I'll update this as soon as I hear from Benq.

Best,
lostsupper

I hope when BenQ/[H] decides who the five lucky reviewers will be, that they not only review the monitor, but also the customer service and tech support side of BenQ. Maybe they could review the entire experience from initial ordering of the monitor, the monitor to the return of the monitor and any calls inbetween to BenQ.

That would also be my hope.

My belief is that it is strongly similar in panel quality/characteristics to the G2400W, and maybe closer to the G2400WD which also (I believe) has the dynamic contrast and overdrive. From initial reports the overdrive does not generally add much input lag, which is welcome in this category of monitor.

If it also does not add inverse ghosting and corona effects, should be good. I know that if I could review it, I would be in contact with them to speak about any outstanding issues once and for all.

BoxterDuke: For all intents and purposes the G/V2400W's have good aspect control, with the only problem being 1920x1080 over VGA, where the monitor stretches the image to 1920x1200.

Otherwise both DVI and HDMI are basically perfect in this aspect.

Regards,

10e

I hope when BenQ/[H] decides who the five lucky reviewers will be, that they not only review the monitor, but also the customer service and tech support side of BenQ. Maybe they could review the entire experience from initial ordering of the monitor, the monitor to the return of the monitor and any calls inbetween to BenQ.

Got the V2400W today.
I like its look, the way it is built... a very decent, good quality, high end monitor.
Image looks just fantastic.
It works perfectly fine with my PS3 through HDMI under 1:1 pixel mapping and aspect ratio.
Haven't found any issue, finger crossed...
Don't really have time to share too much. Here is the picture.
p121211889061.jpg

By the way, the picture quality of FP241W is indeed better than V2400W.

However, while I connect PS3 with FP241W thought HDMI, I can't hear any sound since it doesn't have either speakers or headphone jack. V2400W has a jack via which I can play PS3 and be able to hear the sound through an earphone. Moreover, V2400W is 2ms which is better for gaming. Therefore I'm going to keep FP241W for work while V2400W is for gaming/movie.

All I can say is, don't compare VA to TN. They each has its own advantage.
What do you need the most, absolute picture quality VA or faster response time TN.
I like both so I have two.

By the way, the picture quality of FP241W is indeed better than V2400W.

However, while I connect PS3 with FP241W thought HDMI, I can't hear any sound since it doesn't have either speakers or headphone jack. V2400W has a jack via which I can play PS3 and be able to hear the sound through an earphone. Moreover, V2400W is 2ms which is better for gaming. Therefore I'm going to keep FP241W for work while V2400W is for gaming/movie.

All I can say is, don't compare VA to TN. They each has its own advantage.
What do you need the most, absolute picture quality VA or faster response time TN.
I like both so I have two.

How much better is the picture quality of the FP241? Also, how are the viewing angles of the V2400? C'mon through me a bone, and btw, which one are you using right at this moment?

I'll post you some pictures of the G2400W for comparison over on the G2400W thread this weekend from different angles and you can see. I would think V2400W will be no different.

In fact I can post them next to the FP241VW for a true comparison.

HDMI image quality is better on the V/G2400W. The FP241VW that I have suffers in some aspects such as evidence of temporal dithering on dark grays and lack of full range HDMI colors. It only resolves down to 16,16,16, > R,G,B over HDMI, whereas the G2400W that I have is identical to DVI and shows no loss of black details, allowing me to use "Expanded" blacks over HDMI/VGA with my Xbox 360 or "Full Range HDMI" with my PS3. The FP241VW will crush blacks using these modes. Condemned 2 was unplayable on the FP without changing my 360 to "standard" blacks. Even "expanded" was difficult in this very dark game.

There are also issues with the FP241VW and FP241W when using certain ATI cards on DVI and trying to use 1080p on HDMI concurrently. Without changing the video configuration in ATI's CCC to turn off "Alternate DVI Operation" the HDMi cannot support 1080p properly. I have confirmed this with another user here and with various ATI cards > 3850, 3870, 3870x2 with Catalyst drivers up to 8.4. This does not occur with nVidia. You can read my posts on the FP241W or VW threads regarding this.

So there are some aspects (outside of panel quality) that the G2400W is superior to the FP241W/VW. One is in it's color calibration, and others I have mentioned above. Additionally, the G2400W is not as overly bright as the FP241W/VW and can go down further in brightness without losing contrast or details. This is why my G2400W generally is on my desk beside my LCD2690WuXi-BK/SV and the FP241VW is usually not.

To each his own :)

Regards,

10e

How much better is the picture quality of the FP241? Also, how are the viewing angles of the V2400? C'mon through me a bone, and btw, which one are you using right at this moment?

I'll post you some pictures of the G2400W for comparison over on the G2400W thread this weekend from different angles and you can see. I would think V2400W will be no different.

In fact I can post them next to the FP241VW for a true comparison.

HDMI image quality is better on the V/G2400W. The FP241VW that I have suffers in some aspects such as evidence of temporal dithering on dark grays and lack of full range HDMI colors. It only resolves down to 16,16,16, > R,G,B over HDMI, whereas the G2400W that I have is identical to DVI and shows no loss of black details, allowing me to use "Expanded" blacks over HDMI/VGA with my Xbox 360 or "Full Range HDMI" with my PS3. The FP241VW will crush blacks using these modes. Condemned 2 was unplayable on the FP without changing my 360 to "standard" blacks. Even "expanded" was difficult in this very dark game.

There are also issues with the FP241VW and FP241W when using certain ATI cards on DVI and trying to use 1080p on HDMI concurrently. Without changing the video configuration in ATI's CCC to turn off "Alternate DVI Operation" the HDMi cannot support 1080p properly. I have confirmed this with another user here and with various ATI cards > 3850, 3870, 3870x2 with Catalyst drivers up to 8.4. This does not occur with nVidia. You can read my posts on the FP241W or VW threads regarding this.

So there are some aspects (outside of panel quality) that the G2400W is superior to the FP241W/VW. One is in it's color calibration, and others I have mentioned above. Additionally, the G2400W is not as overly bright as the FP241W/VW and can go down further in brightness without losing contrast or details. This is why my G2400W generally is on my desk beside my LCD2690WuXi-BK/SV and the FP241VW is usually not.

To each his own :)

Regards,

10e

You come through once again 10e! Thank you, thank you! If the [H] does not choose you to review the V2400 then they are smoking crack and I will have a shit fit. God, now I'm thinking of picking up the V2400 again. I guess I could deal with the lack of USB ports and height adjustment.

For gaming I would be interested - its got pretty much all the standard brightness/contrast and 2ms refresh specs. Personally though as a gamer, ghosting in a gaming environment and shading, especially in the corners on alot of LCDs that are produced these days, are things I'd like to ask about this monitor. And when we spend hundreds of dollars on our video cards as gamers, it better have vibrant colors, color saturation, and proper color shading. Alot of these are subjective, but gamers really ask for alot in a monitor - especially since we already spend thousands of dollars on the other components in our rigs. And it should have decent HD playback on videos. I will be bluntly honest, I have never strayed away from Samsung or Dell monitors at work or at home (other than a NEC which was my first monitor) because time after time, these monitors have consistently served me well. I'd be hard pressed to see if spending $500 on a BenQ would be worth it.

10e: Thanks for all your help. I have found your replies to be very helpful, and I am sure that you will be chosen to review the V2400. Just be sure that when you do, do a comparision between the monitors that you have. I think that would help most (if not all) of us.

edit nm, I see BenQ wanted forum input, hence the sticky for the monitor. Pretty cool they notice us :)

edit nm, I see BenQ wanted forum input, hence the sticky for the monitor. Pretty cool they notice us :)

I've just come to the realization that even after [H] members review the new V2400, the monitor as it stands now, will still be sold to us AS IS - not like they could implement the changes suggested immediately, right? If BenQ truly wanted and valued [H] member feedback then they would have asked us what we were looking for in a monitor before they even decided to build a prototype of the monitor. I worked in manufacturing for several years at Flextronics. Sadly, if the V2400 gets good reviews, I will pick one up regardless.

BenQ marketing ploy to sell more monitors?

Of course it's a marketing ploy. Like the say, any publicity is good publicity.

I don't think I'll bite...the price is just a little too high for a TN panel. Although with what 10e has said about his G2400W, I might spring for one of those and save a few bucks.

Of course it's a marketing ploy. Like the say, any publicity is good publicity.

I don't think I'll bite...the price is just a little too high for a TN panel. Although with what 10e has said about his G2400W, I might spring for one of those and save a few bucks.

Hey did you know that you could get the V2400 for $409 direct from the BenQ store right now? They have an extra $40 savings until June 30. It's only like $10 more than the G2400W(D) and depending on where you live, there may be no tax. There's no tax for me in California last time I checked. This is the reason why I'll probably get the V2400 since it will only be a few bucks more, but looks more 'stylish' - subjective of course!

I'm interested, it's not that much more than a lot of the other name brand 24" and much less than others. I almost bought a used Dell 2407WFP and then an HP LP2465 for fairly cheap and now I see an ebay vendor with the Planar PX2411W for about 485 shipped and while I'm keenly interested in a VA panel, the input lag and artifact/ghosting/etc., always makes me hesitate. I'll wait at least until the 10th and see if the DS-263N comes back out and maybe I'll ignore my $500 budget :p. Backlight bleed is a big issue for me and if the review that was posted is at all accurate, I might just get this screen for that alone (and I actually like the look).

I uploaded the manual if anyone wants to take a look. The dynamic contrast and overdrive options are switchable on/off. They come disabled by default.

V2400W-en.pdf

It looks like a downgrade from my BenQ FP241W. I've had my BenQ 24" for over a year now, probably about 18 months. It was pristine when I got it, no dead pixels, no backlight bleeding. Perfectly build. Best LCD I've ever used. The only improvement it could have is that while it's very good, it could still be a bit better in dark games/night time games where there are lots of blacks and gradients of black. Typically I would definitely recommend BenQ again, and have recommended the FP241 many times

But this new one....
Less brightness
Less viewing angle
Less ergonomic adjustment
Less inputs
No USB hub
Says it's glossy, sorry, I don't feel the need to see the reflection of my face and everything behind me while using my computer, I'd put a mirror there if that were the case.

It does list a faster pixel response, but I have no ghosting now, I don't see the value in improving that parameter while sacrificing all these others.

This new display, launching a year and a half later... makes me wonder whyyyy? It should be better!

Nuff said, as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to see a BETTER panel than what I already have had for over a year now (lg 245bw - same panel as the benq fp241w).

You can't compare the FP241W to this monitor. They're two different classes and price ranges. Overall, I'm very happy with the V2400W. I can honestly say its the best TN panel I've seen personally. Zero dead pixels and no backlight bleeding. If there is any backlight bleed, its very uniform and not noticeable. I'm basing this only on the display models I've played with at the stores.

I'd still like to check out the DS-263N, but for my use (games and web browsing) I don't know if its worth it. After tax and shipping I'd probably be looking at another $350. And another $120+ for a decent stand.

The only things that bother me about the V2400W are:
1) Lack of height adjustable stand. I think V2400W could really compete with the HP w2408h if it had a height adjustable stand.
2) Lack of VESA mount. I know the design is slim, but I'd still like the ability to change the stand if I wanted.
3) Lack of included DVI cable. Not a huge deal, someone gave me one for free but BenQ should have included it.

Things that are NOT an issue to me:
1) Lack of USB hub. I think people are expecting too much from their monitors. Personally, I want display and nothing but display.
2) Low brightness. Brightness is relatively unimportant. LCDs seem very bright by nature.

By the way, I think there was some confusion about this monitor having a glossy coating. I believed it did, but it DOES NOT have glossy coating. Only the bezel is glossy. Overall, I feel it adds a nice contrast to the design. Its not distracting at all. I'm also not a big fan of 2-tone gear, but this matches pretty nicely with my Logitech G15. Overall, very happy.

Good summary f0rbez,

In comparing my G2400W and my FP241VW I can honestly say that while the FP241VW has more saturated colors, the G2400W has much more accurate calibration. I have posted my thoughts on the FP241/FP241VW/FP241WZ threads in relation to this.

Additionally, the G2400W (and I'm assuming the V2400W) have a full range HDMI connection. The FP241 series is a limited range connection which does not allow me to do expanded blacks on the Xbox 360 over HDMI or "Full Range HDMI" on the PS3. Basically anything less than 16,16,16 > R, G, B on the FP241VW over HDMI washes out. This is with a PC connected via HDMI as well.

Bottom line: The G2400W is on my desk right now and the FP241VW is not.

Regards,

10e

I just pulled the trigger on this puppy. Came out to:

Qty Description Price Total
1 V2400W 24" Wide Full HD LCD Monitor
Availability: In Stock, usually leaves warehouse in 1-2 bus. days. (details) $449.00 $449.00

Discount Total
$40 off V2400W $40.00

Sub Total: $449.00
Discount: $40.00

Tax: $33.74
CA CRT Disposal Fee (what is this) $0.00
Shipping & Handling:
Standard $28.36
Total: $471.10

can't waite anymore? hey, please do share with us how you feel about this when you get it!

Yeah, I can't wait. I've been without a monitor for almost two months now....I've already heard good things about this monitor and I don't want to wait for the 2408WFP which may or may not fix anything at all, plus the Dell uses twice as much electricity as the BenQ

Actually, BenQ OEM for Dell...I think Dell is overpriced compare to BenQ own brand monitors.

Well I'm glad to see you came to a decision, Nearsight. I noticed you've been agonizing over your decision as lots of us do over a display. I just go mine and plugged it in so I can comment on it a bit more after I use it a bit (I'm off to bed in a few). Looks great so far and I like the buttons/menu layout.

Congrats to you Tuf. Let us know how you like it, from what I hear through the grapevine, the monitor is pretty good......now I just got to get a DVI cable - POO!:mad:

I got mine a week ago and I am quite happy about my decision. It looks really great and premium, but the monitor (or is it just mine?) tilts a little bit to the left because of the asymmetrical layout. Not significant, you have to look twice to recognize it.

I cannot review the image quality, since it is my first 24" wide screen, but it looks pretty nice to me.

(sorry for my English, I'm Swiss.:))

yeah, Pedo, it looks like it's a couple mm lower on the left side. that's something that might irritate someone that's looking for it so the g2400w(d) might be the way to go if that's your peeve. I have one issue with mine; there is a bright yellow stuck pixel, dead center horizontal, about 1/5 from the top edge. I called BenQ and they're sending me the RMA and UPS label to replace it. They were very good about that. otherwise I'm just navigating the menu options now. The only thing I did so far was lower the brightness a bit. CoD4 at 1920x1200 with the settings cranked looks fantastic!

Hi guys, I just received the BenQ V2400W courtesy of Kyle Bennett of [H]ardOCP and the BenQ America Corp. I'll be reviewing the BenQ V2400W 24 in. LCD Monitor as part of the "BenQ V2400W User Reviews @ [H]Forum". First of all, I'll start off with a little introduction of the monitor:

1. BenQ V2400W
-Initial Overview of general specs and info

Screen Size: 24.0" Wide Screen
Bezel Color: Glossy Black
Screen Surface: Matte
Native Resolution: 1920x1200 (WUXGA)
Native Aspect Ratio: 16:10
Pixel Pitch: 0.27 mm
Brightness: 250 cd/㎡
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 (Typ.) 4000:1 (DCR)
Typical Response Time: 5ms
Overdrive Response Time: 2ms(GTG) [AMA - Advanced Motion Accelerator]
Display Area: 518.5x324 (mm)
Display Color: 16.7 million colors
Viewing Angle: 160 / 160 degrees
Input Signals: D-sub / DVI-D/ HDMI/ Earphone
Horizontal Frequency: 31~83 (KHz)
Vertical Frequency: 55~76 (Hz)
Video Bandwidth: 25~135 (MHz)
Color Temperature: Reddish / sRGB / Bluish / User mode
Power Consumption: 55W (max)
Power Supply: Built-in
Adjustments Tilt: (down/ up ONLY) -5 / 20 degrees
Dimensions: 563.8x369.4x191.7 (HxWxD mm)
Weight: 6.7 KG
Accessories (Standard): VGA cable, Power cable
Vista Certification: Premium​

-Packing Evaluation and Unboxing pictures​
a6025153e01e49438ea096f3965ff926

Package arrived in pretty good condition.

b669909a250441c9bf510022e6a635b5

The retail box containing the monitor is well protected by a layer of packaging noodle.

d72a5dbc086d46deaf9b7c6120da9420

Top layer packaging noodle removed reveals the retail box.

0b9853d0c2b7414588379331f2c444bb

Retail box removed from the shipment package, it's in mint condition.

813691be687c4cc6b90d8188dda0ef5b

Some product information on the retail box.

87ba621504a34d3a9386182ccfa8ef28

Unit removal instructions.

622c705588df4c738e305409b78bc732

Opening of the retail box. The unit is well protected.
We can see the power cable, vga cable, quickstart guide, and a CD with the manual, .icm, .inf, .cat files, and a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

06b018d38f654b70894726025b23b6ce

The unit rests firmly inside the retail box.

50c65d8fc52640f7a4ac27afde7c2909

Everything in the retail box removed.

46953fbaa11a4c51ae2b41bc58434e95

Frontal View. The glossy bezel is protected by strips of plastic film.
The monitor looks very modern, I like the overall feel to it, and the off centered base piece does not affect the balance of the unit at all.
Also, as you can see it's a matte screen surface.

2f341a88e1284074a06d9e1a3ec5378e

The buttons doesn't actually click like the way it looks, they're touch sensitive buttons.

0ecfcb5a69d2455aa407c32d4afbc5a3

Side view, with a card for size reference.
The audio output port on the left side of the monitor with a standard headphone .35mm jack. I'm guessing it transmits the sound from HDMI.

33f95673c4c54389b22e1c2dab235dfd

From right to left, D-Sub, HDMI, DVI.
The power port is further down left, you can sort of see it?

34db2411e4434aeb83ff7f15b1758b71

The glossy bezel extends all the way to the back.
Go ahead! make out the numbers on the card! :cool:

7fd0132752d94cf49fc486d4a51e7f53

More monitor unit information.

77726177720947a0b357c16166ebdb64

The V2400W itself is really thin indeed!

de978a103eb84be88bb75c43fee728fb

A shot at the base.

1917e22f05564d7d8ba68298d44c5f88

Unfortunately the base only pivots up and down, it doesn't twist or move up and down.
Also, the base is actually made of plastic, and not aluminum like it seems.
Alternative mounting options also seems to be a no go. :(

-Initial Inspection for damage or anomalies​
Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any physical damage to the unit, as the monitor is pretty well packaged. There also doesn't seem to be any dead/stuck pixels after a couple quick scans through the main display :). All in all, it looks like the monitor is in great physical conditions.​

-Peripheral check
1x VGA Cable ~6ft.
1x Power Cable ~6ft.
1x BenQ V2400W LCD Monitor Quick Start Guide
1x CD contains User Manual, .icm, .inf, .cat files, Adobe Acrobat Reader​

-Note panel built date and location
Built Location: China
Built Date: April 2008​

More to come soon! Stay tuned!!

Tuf,

I forgot to mention.. i also had a stuck pixel (red). But I could fix it:p.

Nice review so far, GTOViper! It seems that your LCD doesn't tilt, am I right? (lucky guy :D)

p.s. Mine is built in China March 2008 (probably the prototype;))

More, more, MORE! I want to know how great this monitor is before I get mine! I want to know that I took a gamble and WON with this monitor!

Thanks anyway, Pedo. I tried the methods in your link and the Java swirly bit but that yellow dot won't go away. I called tech support first and the guy said there is no way to fix it and to just get it replaced.

Nearsight, my viewing angles are pretty good from my PoV about 2' away. It replaced a Viewsonic vx2235 screen which had some BLB and 'screendoor' effect and the BenQ is much, much better in both regards and has a much nicer image quality. The blacks are nicely graduated for a TN IMO.

I'm considering replacing my Gateway FPD2485W with this monitor :D Can't wait to see the review and decide whether it would be an upgrade.

I love how incredibly thin it is!

Can any of you owners out there tell me how hot the V2400w gets? My gateway monitor sometimes gets uncomfortably hot unless I have the window open and there's a breeze coming through.

Back