BenQ V2400W LCD Monitor

BenQ must be LOVING this as I'm sure they're going to see a surge in V2400W sales in the coming weeks if this trend continues.

BenQ must be LOVING this as I'm sure they're going to see a surge in V2400W sales in the coming weeks if this trend continues.

It helps that its biggest rival (on this forum anyway), the DoubleSight, doesn't have a comprehensive review as in-depth as what BenQ's monitors are getting. Just looking at its thread, there more than a few posters asking questions but not getting any answers. Meanwhile, pretty much anything you would want to know about the BenQs has been answered up, down, and sideways now.

In addition, a fair price, coupon, great for games, what more could you ask for?

As long as you can live with the fact that it's a TN panel and live with the weaknesses associated with it, This is definitely a great monitor with no doubt that does well in all aspects a monitor should perform.

I apologize if Im asking a question thats already been answered, but does anybody know if this is the same panel/scaler as the G2400WD but in a different package?

Well, what are the weaknesses associated with a TN panel? Bit "noob" in this aspect.

As long as you can live with the fact that it's a TN panel and live with the weaknesses associated with it, This is definitely a great monitor with no doubt that does well in all aspects a monitor should perform.

I apologize if Im asking a question thats already been answered, but does anybody know if this is the same panel/scaler as the G2400WD but in a different package?

+1 to this question. I've seen it hinted at that people THINK it's the same, but I haven't found any concrete answers. The ONLY difference I can find on benq's store is the AMA - the specs are exactly the same. Looks like just the stand, bezel and AMA. Confirmation on this? It's a $50 difference...

Well, what are the weaknesses associated with a TN panel? Bit "noob" in this aspect.

Such as bad viewing angles and generally speaking, not as good color reproduction compared to IPS, MVA, or PVA.
What it excels at is its fast response time, and low price point.
Genrally speaking. :p

My V2400W arrived yesterday. The settings are excellent right out of the box. I only made a few minor changes, which were not necessary, but preference. I did a dead / stuck pixel check and there were none! Viewing angles are actually quite nice, at least compared to my previous monitor, a Viewsonic 20" VG2030WM. I'm quite happy with my purchase and support this monitor fully.

To end, I have a question: Is there any way to lock the OSD buttons? Yesterday after I'd modified some settings and played Bioshock for a while, I went to look at the OSD again and buttons were non-responsive. I unplugged and replugged the monitor and they resumed working and have worked flawless since. Did I somehow lock the buttons or could this be a problem with the buttons that may show itself again?

I can't answer either but the scaler is the same as the G2400W.

It's a Realtek something or other :) Realtek 2549T.

The panel is likely the same in the G2400WD and V2400W, but no one outside of BenQ can know for sure.

Regards,

10e

There is a "lock" under OSD settings, but the OSD buttons may be inactive (outside of "Enter" to switch inputs) if there is no signal to the monitor.

Regards,

10e

My V2400W arrived yesterday. The settings are excellent right out of the box. I only made a few minor changes, which were not necessary, but preference. I did a dead / stuck pixel check and there were none! Viewing angles are actually quite nice, at least compared to my previous monitor, a Viewsonic 20" VG2030WM. I'm quite happy with my purchase and support this monitor fully.

To end, I have a question: Is there any way to lock the OSD buttons? Yesterday after I'd modified some settings and played Bioshock for a while, I went to look at the OSD again and buttons were non-responsive. I unplugged and replugged the monitor and they resumed working and have worked flawless since. Did I somehow lock the buttons or could this be a problem with the buttons that may show itself again?

This monitor looks very nice but I am stuck between the V2400W and the G2400W. I am not very picky with my monitors ( Using a 300:1, 25ms 17" atm and I think it looks fine) and I live in the UK. Here the G2400W is £70 cheaper than the V2400W. Would you recommend I just got for the cheaper G2400W? Or are the differences enough to warrant a £70 increase in price.

Also while I am here, does the G2400W include a source button like the V2400W?

Thanks for the help in advance!

I don't get why the V2400W is any better than the G2400WD? The G2400WD has less lag, and they both have the same inputs, color accuracy, and lousy viewing angles. Is the V2400W any better vertical viewing angle wise, if not then the G2400WD is still the better monitor? Does the G2400WD also have the earphone jack for speaker out?

Yes, if saving the money is important, go for the G2400W.

I don't think the differences warrant the differences in price.

Yes, it includes an enter button that changes sources just like the V2400W. You just don't see it because it's under the bezel.

Regards,

10e

This monitor looks very nice but I am stuck between the V2400W and the G2400W. I am not very picky with my monitors ( Using a 300:1, 25ms 17" atm and I think it looks fine) and I live in the UK. Here the G2400W is £70 cheaper than the V2400W. Would you recommend I just got for the cheaper G2400W? Or are the differences enough to warrant a £70 increase in price.

Also while I am here, does the G2400W include a source button like the V2400W?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Ok, I'm going to pull the trigger on a BenQ monitor after reading good feedback here, thanks guys.
But I am very confused about which monitor to get. With the promo code, the V2400W is about the same price as the G2400W and G2400WD. I am looking for the best monitor for fast fps gaming on the PC over DVI and the XBOX 360 over HDMI. I know it is a TN, but I am hoping the vertical viewing angle isn't horrible like the Gateway FHD2400 I had to return. That is why I am leary of buying online where it is a pain to return it. I also need the model with the speaker output to hook up to a stereo system for the XBOX HDMI use. From what I see at face to face, the older G2400W is actually faster/less lag than the new V2400W?
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=48&mo2=304&p2=2943&ph=12
I don't care about the slight difference in prices of these 3 models, or the external looks. I just want to get the best one for me (best viewing angle vertically, best picture, and lowest lag, fastest response time and all the input/outputs I need). Can someone who has used two or three of these models let me know which to buy? And a stuck pixel would definately drive me crazy, so I assume I should buy directly from Benq in case I need to return it. Thanx

According to GTOViper the BenQ V2400W has better vertical viewing angles than the FHD2400. The V2400W also seems to have less backlight bleed than the Gateway from what I've seen (in general, quality varies).

If you don't need to get a different monitor stand/arm, I'd go for the V2400W. When playing guitar hero III I had to calibrate the game to "CRT" when using the "V" on the 360.

I don't think you will have any input lag problems with the G2400WD or V2400W, so try it out. With the 30 day guarantee, I think it is worth getting it straight from them, and I think you will be happy with it barring any quality issues like dead pixels, etc...

Out of two G2400Ws and one V2400W I've only had one dead green subpixel on my first G2400W so far.

Regards,

10e

Ok, I'm going to pull the trigger on a BenQ monitor after reading good feedback here, thanks guys.
But I am very confused about which monitor to get. With the promo code, the V2400W is about the same price as the G2400W and G2400WD. I am looking for the best monitor for fast fps gaming on the PC over DVI and the XBOX 360 over HDMI. I know it is a TN, but I am hoping the vertical viewing angle isn't horrible like the Gateway FHD2400 I had to return. That is why I am leary of buying online where it is a pain to return it. I also need the model with the speaker output to hook up to a stereo system for the XBOX HDMI use. From what I see at face to face, the older G2400W is actually faster/less lag than the new V2400W?
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=48&mo2=304&p2=2943&ph=12
I don't care about the slight difference in prices of these 3 models, or the external looks. I just want to get the best one for me (best viewing angle vertically, best picture, and lowest lag, fastest response time and all the input/outputs I need). Can someone who has used two or three of these models let me know which to buy? And a stuck pixel would definately drive me crazy, so I assume I should buy directly from Benq in case I need to return it. Thanx

According to GTOViper the BenQ V2400W has better vertical viewing angles than the FHD2400. The V2400W also seems to have less backlight bleed than the Gateway from what I've seen (in general, quality varies).

If you don't need to get a different monitor stand/arm, I'd go for the V2400W. When playing guitar hero III I had to calibrate the game to "CRT" when using the "V" on the 360.

I don't think you will have any input lag problems with the G2400WD or V2400W, so try it out. With the 30 day guarantee, I think it is worth getting it straight from them, and I think you will be happy with it barring any quality issues like dead pixels, etc...

Out of two G2400Ws and one V2400W I've only had one dead green subpixel on my first G2400W so far.

Regards,

10e

Well... both the FHD2400 and V2400W have below average vertical viewing angles being that they're both TN panels. As seen here...

11a6e44f26dc48f6abd169b5f028ddcc

BENQ V2400W

305b4d7934e546aea60e03232259efc4

GATEWAY FHD2400

One is not really better than the other...

Here is part 5 of the review and it will cover PC Gaming usage and wrapping up of the "BenQ [H]ard Forum User Review" by GTOViper.

Disclaimer: The pictures shown here are in no way a true reflection of the image quality represented by the BenQ V2400W LCD Monitor, they're only used as a reference. The camera used is a point-and-shoot Canon Powershot A400.

[Part 1 of the review - BenQ V2400W]
[Part 2 of the review - Overview]
[Part 3 of the review - General Usage / Multi-Media Usage]
[Part 4 of the review - PS3 Console Usage over HDMI]

6. PC Gaming Usage
-4:3 Game Scaling

One of the most important features a monitor should have in regards to gaming is the proper aspect ratio scaling. Especially in regards to the older generation of games where resolution options might not be as robust as today's games. For example, all-time favorites such as Starcraft, Diablo II, and the Warcraft III franchise. (Blizzard much? :p) Games such as Diablo II usually runs at the Native 640x480 or 800x600. With CRTs, the aspect ratio are often 4:3 which are what those games are developed for. However, with a wide-screen LCD such as the BenQ V2400W where the native resolution ratio is 16:10, 3:4 stretched to 16:10 makes the images look horrendously stretched horizontally and can adversely affect the overall gaming experience. Good news is with BenQ V2400W, image scaling is implemented perfectly which users can adjust to their likings by navigating through the monitor options OSD.

cb3b771379bd4c7794403bb06c0a15e3

Blizzard's classic RTS Warcraft III which I still enjoy playing from time to time.

a8a4d87ef5c34e9f9842bb370f370ba7

Pixel perfect 4:3 scaling of Warcraft III running in 1600x1200 in. Makes the image sharp and clear.
-Ghosting/Inverse Ghosting evaluation
Good news is there are no inverse ghosting with the V2400W which many users have experienced with other monitors such as the Dell 2407WFP-HC. Bad news is there is still very slightly noticeable ghosting when moving a white cursor over pale-gray backgrounds. A slight after-image of the cursor trails behind the actual position. However, it's nothing to be worried about since you won't see it during normal usage unless you're really looking for it, and even then, the user have the option to turn on AMA (BenQ's Overdrive that improves response time to 2ms from 5ms) that further eliminates the ghosting apperance. All-in-all this is really a none issue for 99.99% of the users but I feel obligated to mention it since it's still present and for some paranoid users, this could make or break the deal.

Images are not included because I feel the quality of the couple images that I took did not accurately represent the actual appearance of said ghosting effect. The combination of my poor photography skills and bad camera hardware in general makes the issue seems 1000% worse than it is.
-Input lag
Worry not, the one field that TN panels consistently outperforms the more expansively priced PVA, MVA, and IPS panels is its excellent response time. The V2400W is no exception, there are definitely no noticeable input lags that the user would experience that could hinder the enjoyment of PC Gaming with the default 5ms response time. Not to mention another layer of safety net of the 2ms response time overdrive.

8b48d9a51a7549a1bb9d46edb5c02837
Game controls are extremely responsive, no worries here.

40ba43fdc55a48cea7e26a052a5b695e

Crytek's Crysis in 1920x1080 VERY HIGH DX10. The frames are no where near high enough for me to experience input lag. :p
7. Wrap up
-Extended-use BLB, Heat, and Noise.
4f64c6b412c44de6a2215b49b54557d3

After logging at least 200 hours of usage, there seems to be some minor progressive BLB although you can't really see them in this screen-shot. The 4 corners and edges are slightly brighter than the center, although overall the backlights are still fairly even. The BLB is not noticeable at all if you have any sort of light-source present, so it shouldn't be a problem during normal usage. I only caught this because I was looking for it specifically in pitch-black darkness for the purpose of this review. The lack of BLB on the V2400W is definitely a strong point compared to the other LCD monitors I have come across before.

3a6a710866d7446bb33536954083149c

Getting ready to heat up the monitor...

4c2b4ddb2c6b4b0eb8608334a4e31b5f

After having the monitor on for at least 5 hours the monitor barely have any heat on the back panel. The venting holes have a slight warm breeze that you can feel if you put your hand right on top of them but other than that, the heat output is non-existent. There are also no noises coming from the panel even if you press your ear against the back panel, very impressive.

After reading through my review, I would like for the readers to draw their own conclusions from my findings instead of me saying the users should buy this or that if they want to use the monitor for such and such purpose. This review is only here to provide a sample of what you could experience if you purchased the BenQ V2400W and ultimately it's up to the user to evaluate their own needs. After all, even different samples of the same exact monitor could provide varying degrees of performance.

This concludes my review of the BenQ V2400W as part of the "BenQ V2400W User Reviews @ [H]Forum", I hope you enjoyed reading my findings as much as I have putting this brief review together. Thanks again for reading!

-GTOViper

GTO, Thanks for the comparison shots. I guess all TNs have the same vertical viewing angles :{

But is there any reason to get the V2400W over the G2400WD? Is there anything better about the panel other than the case? Also can you verify that the headphone jack does work on the V2400, I have heard rumors that it may not??

Thanks

Yup, I guess they are 95% the same viewing angles on all of the TN panels.

Sorry for putting words in your mouth GTOViper ;)

Great job.

Regards,

10e

Just got my V2400W here. So far, I love it! No dead pixels, lots of space, and to add to that, a simple plug in from the Logitech X-540 and I get full 5.1 from the HDMI for my PS3.

Not much to comment besides a great experience so far. :)

Just got my V2400W here. So far, I love it! No dead pixels, lots of space, and to add to that, a simple plug in from the Logitech X-540 and I get full 5.1 from the HDMI for my PS3.

Not much to comment besides a great experience so far. :)

Well It's not technically 'full' 5.1 surround, as you are taking a signal from the 3.5mm headphone jack, which is only providing 2 channels of sound.

So for example, in a video game something approaching from the front right will play equally in the rear and front right speakers. Although all speakers are used, it's not accurate directional sound. If you want that, you could always route the sound directly from the PS3 with an optical cable or whichever the PS3 uses (I have a 360), but that would require special inputs on the speakers which they may not have.

Joe

I just got mine today, but unfortunately, it has a single stuck pixel in the lower-right hand corner. It's only really noticeable when the screen is black in that area. I've already run JScreenFix and tried a "pixel massage" to unstick it, but I've had no success with either technique. =\ I'm a little disappointed. Is one stuck pixel even worth an RMA though, or are there any other methods to potentially unstick the pixel? Can't stuck pixels become unstuck over time too?

I just sent my BenQ G2400WD back for the same thing, nerr. I figured that if they (the BenQ online store, that is) offered protection (in the return policy) for that kind of thing, I should take advantage of it.

Anyone have a profile for the V2400W or the G2400WD? I want to compare stock to it when I get it back.

mine shipped the 17th and is supposed to be delivered tomorrow when i wake up on the 18th! holy shit thats quick. fyi, im coming from a 1999 gateway2000 17" crystalscan CRT....max res is 1280x1024 at 60hz.

i've waited. im excited.

Back