best 1GB stick for single channel?

perplex

Gawd
Hello, i was thinking Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200PT and then Maybe getting another exact same stick later for 2GB. The computer use is for socket 754 (reason for single channel), and NO games whatsoever, only music listening, web browsing, and maybe occasional music cd ripping and encoding. The reason i want 1GB is because i plan on keeping the computer on 24/7, and would rahter as little as possible.

Both Crucial and Corsair are great. I would just get whatever is cheaper.

OK, your suggestions are appreciated.

How often do you think i'd have to reboot if its running win xp pro 24/7 with 1GB? - no gaming, but idling, playing music and web browsing.

Thanks.

not very often. i do a lot on my rig with 1gb and can easily go a few weeks without rebooting... though i normally reboot quite often to go tweak and overclock :p

Yeah... i really hate all this crap!! Ah well, 512 sticks used to clock like crap. I'm kind of itching on the 2gb myself but am going to try and stay with my 2*512 at uber speeds for a bit longer.... should be faster and adequately smooth for MOST games. Im just hoping I can hang in and it will be fixed by DDRII time. A full generation and it should have bandwidth to spare, making the A64 even less needy for me to want/need to have everything (timings, command rate, and MHz). DDRII is faster than the P4 needs. Because I really just want 1T and ok MHz scaling for OC'ing and I would get DDR1 2*1Gb right now. 1T has kind of put the scope on timings for me.... I know from both my AXP and A64 days that even the mighty Ras to Cas is good for a pile of dung next to a command rate of 1T. Its really all about the command rate... or we'd have 4*512 of sweet ram with it all. :(

Which would be the best config for gaming:

1 x 1 GIG stick (single channel)

2 x 512 MB (duel channel)

I was looking at either the 2x512mb of Twinmos DDR400 or the 1x1Gig of Crucial

isnt performance difference between single channel and dual channel < 10% ?

If you turned down every upgrade because it was only 10% better, wouldn't you still have a 486/SX or something thereabouts?

OC'ing will be best with a single 512 chip. If you're just looking for a high HTT get TCCD, if you want to remain likeable :))) get some CH- or BH-5.

Project_2501 said:
OC'ing will be best with a single 512 chip. If you're just looking for a high HTT get TCCD, if you want to remain likeable :))) get some CH- or BH-5.

Hahhaa, likeable. How true.

However I'm rather tolerant of the Micron people since they are still able to emphasize low latencies at higher speeds. TCCD guys apply the Intel mindset to AMD, and it's just goofy.

Heh, yeah. Thought someone would get a kick out of that. TCCD is just silly, Intel people don't understand the dividers because they can't effectively use one, it kills their performance too much. Also, it loosend the timings "too much" (2.5-3-3 or 2.5-4-4) to get good timings.

Though, I can't bitch about timings, as my stuff runs at 2.5-3-3-7.

Project_2501 said:
Though, I can't bitch about timings, as my stuff runs at 2.5-3-3-7.

That sucks.

Yeah, I'm a fan-boy of CH5 for many reasons.
This is one:
RAM Size : 512 MB
RAM Freq : 276.5 MHz
RAM Type : DDR-SDRAM Single Channel
RAM Ratio : CPU/10
RAM Timings : 1.5-2-2-12

From my sig.

512 is not enough RAM for me. I want/need 1GB and I was thinking that a single 1GB might OC better than dual 512. Since I have a S754 CPU, a single stick is no big deal. The MB of choice would be Dfi NF3 and I already have a 3000+ DTR. It currrently runs 250x9@ 1.3Vcore so I know it has more and I need more HTT. I don't mind running the RAM asynch, just would like tighter timings in the 220-250ish range.

Two 512 chips will out-clock a 1 gig chip due to the densities on the ram and manufacturing process. I'm not sure what about that makes it clock better, but I know that the higher the density the ram is, it sometimes loses its scalability. This is the case with 512 vs. 1 gig chips.

In short: 2x512 will OC much higher than 1x1gig.

In what regard? We were referring to froggie, he has a DFI NF3.

Good idea to get the DFI, it will serve you well.

Oh, sure there is. Get something with Winbond chips, such as CH-5 or BH-5. These take well to the high voltages that the DFI will give and have sick tight timings of near 1.5-2-2 up until around 250htt, RB has a stick that will do 273.5 (I think) at 1.5-2-2-12.

Brands:

TwinMOS SP
G.Skill (Yes, they have BH-5)
Mushkin Redline
OCZ VX

Actually, i think i might just go for a 1GB stick of corsair value select. I won't be overclocking. As long as it doesnt randomly hang my computer every 5 hours ;)

Get a chip of Crucial. With some voltage you should be able to get the timings down a bit from 3-3-3-8 or 2.5-3-3-7 or whatever it is.

i would guess 2.5-2-2
if you're unlucky, 3-2-2

the micron chips love a high cas, but the rest can normally go low :D

Back