Best 20.1 Widescreen LCD

IceBrewedBeer

Limp Gawd
Alright, so I've searched through the entire board to find the best 20.1 LCD. The 22's seem to be a fumble with quality issues etc because of the TN panels (so no TN panels). I really can't afford a 24' so I figured my best best is a 20.1 inch.

I'm really confused on what to get. I thought about getting the VX2025wm but you can't find it anywhere. I even checked ebay and I don't want to deal with refurbs. I also looked at the Acer Ferrari F20 and read in several threads that it's the same type of panel used in a cheaper Acer LCD, sorry I couldn't find the name of it.

I just want to game and watch some movies on the LCD and be blown away by the color quality and performance and not regret the purchese later on.

'm currently on a 17' Samsung 172x and it's been a really great LCD, I just want something bigger, preferably in a 1680x1050 resolution.

I would SERIOUSLY appreciate your advice on this matter.

I'd get the 20WMGX2; it's, arguably, the best consumer-grade 20" monitor. The main drawbacks are the hefty price tag and the lack of height adjustability - although a aftermarket stand can compensate for this.

I'd say NEC 20WGX2. IMHO glossy screen isn't big deal at all, but it depends on your personal taste, and your working enviromenet, ambient lightning etc.

I heard the NEC panels are very nice, but I have never used one.

Currently, I'm using a dell 2007WFP. It's a very nice monitor, much better than any others I have used. I thought I may regret to pay around $360 for this monitor while most others were around $200-300 but this is the best decision I have made on a monitor so far. You can easily tell a difference between this panel and all the other type panels.

The NEC is nice but I looked and they're around the 500 dollar mark. Is there an LCD that you guys could suggest thats 2nd best to the NEC?

Unless someone could produce a link to the NEC that's under the $450 dollar range.

Although this is my first LCD screen (apart from my thinkpad), I got the Acer Ferrari F-20 and really really like it: colors are crisp, not a dead pixel in view, and looks good. I personally like the glossy screen because it makes the colors really pop, even though it does reflect like a mirror when watching a dark screen - it depends on your setup (lights, windows behind the screen).
I do a bit of gaming - not much mind you - and wasn't bothered by lag or anything - ymmv.
Haven't used the speakers so can't speak to that - but I would think most people use separate speakers anyways.
Came with both analog and digital cables.

IceBrewedBeer said:
The NEC is nice but I looked and they're around the 500 dollar mark. Is there an LCD that you guys could suggest thats 2nd best to the NEC?

Unless someone could produce a link to the NEC that's under the $450 dollar range.
Yup, if the NEC dropped a little bit more closer to 400, I'd hop on it.
Given the type of work I do (photoshop/video/graphic design) the NEC should be my ideal choice, but the cost of the dang thang puts it neck and neck with the Dell 2407 HD monitor; seems hard to justify given that perspective. And since I'm unsure about playing the 2007WFP monitor lottery, I've kinda been forced to look at TN panels as a 'second choice', which have made some improvements, but are still reportedly not where monitors like the NEC 20WGX2 (AS-SIPS) and Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS) are performing.

I had no problems receiving an S-IPS panel from dell. I received a revision A04 RT803 with 3 minutes on the monitor and have been happy about it since. If you don't get an S-IPS monitor, you can always return it free of charge in exchange for another monitor. I think many more are shipping with S-IPS panels now.

And since I'm unsure about playing the 2007WFP monitor lottery, I've kinda been forced to look at TN panels as a 'second choice'

Even if you lose the lottery, you'll still get a monitor which is better than the TN-film panels other monitors use.

I think the Dell 2007 is easily the best value, if you are lucky enough to get the S-IPS. The NEC is the better monitor, though.

I think the Dell 2007 is easily the best value, if you are lucky enough to get the S-IPS. The NEC is the better monitor, though.
Same...although I saw recently that the NEC can be had for under $500 at the Egg after rebate which makes it a good value now.

The top 3 quality 20" monitors:

NEC 20WGX2
Dell 2007wfp
Viewsonic 2025wm

The top 3 quality 20" monitors:

NEC 20WGX2
Dell 2007wfp
Viewsonic 2025wm
All have drawbacks though..
NEC 20WMGX2- expensive
Dell 2007WFP- possibility of S-PVA panel
Viewsonic VX2025WM- discontinued and replaced with inferior TN panel model.;)

All have drawbacks though..
NEC 20WMGX2- expensive
Dell 2007WFP- possibility of S-PVA panel
Viewsonic VX2025WM- discontinued and replaced with inferior TN panel model.;)

NEC 20WMGX2- You get what you pay for atleast
Dell 2007WFP- Worth the risk IMO, I'm buying one from costco (Online :() tomorrow because of their unsurpassed return policy.
Viewsonic VX2025WM- Sadly :( But that doesnt mean its still not one of the best if you can find it.

Good choice, ScYcS. That monitor looks to be better than the VX2025WM. I also like the glossy panel and the price.

Im loving my samsung 206BW I picked up today.Very good viewing angles and no ghosting that I can notice.

I agree with the others in this thread that state the best 3 panels you can get are:

AS-IPS
S-IPS
P-MVA

Depending on where you live there are a few other monitors that have the P-MVA, these are:

Belinea 102035W
Sceptre X20G-Naga III

Unforunately these arn't available in Australia, so I ordered a Dell this morning (hoping for S-IPS!) as the NEC is simply too expensive for me to justify when I could get a high quality 24" for practically the same price. They should be cheaper monitors than the Acer F-20 or the Asus PW201, but they have the same panel.

I was previously thinking I would hold out for the 20" A-MVA (newest revision of the above panel) but there does not seem to be any ETA as to when we will see that panel in an actual product, so I figure this Dell will last me a few years until OLED and other fancy flat panel technologies mature.

Yup, if the NEC dropped a little bit more closer to 400, I'd hop on it.
Given the type of work I do (photoshop/video/graphic design) the NEC should be my ideal choice, but the cost of the dang thang puts it neck and neck with the Dell 2407 HD monitor; seems hard to justify given that perspective. And since I'm unsure about playing the 2007WFP monitor lottery, I've kinda been forced to look at TN panels as a 'second choice', which have made some improvements, but are still reportedly not where monitors like the NEC 20WGX2 (AS-SIPS) and Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS) are performing.

Stopped by Frys today. They have the NEC going for 399.99 with a mail in rebate.

Back