Best 20-22in widescreen LCD monitor between $200-300?

Which is the best 20-22in widescreen monitor for gaming for under $300?

• Total voters

Swingman

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a 20 or 22in widescreen monitor for gaming and willing to spend between $200-300 (hopefully closer to $200). I want a WSXGA (1680x1050) native resolution, at least 700:1 contrast ratio and a good response time.

My desk limits size of monitor so no 24 inch or bigger widescreens. I can probably fit a monitor that is up to 21 inches in width.

Here's the options I have found so far.

20 in
Dell E207WFP - Price: $229 (dell.com)
Resolution: WSXGA
Response Time: 5ms
Contrast: 800:1
CNET Score: 6.1
PCMag: 3 out of 5 stars

Samsung 206BW - Price: $209 (after rebate) (buy.com)
Response Time: 2ms
Contrast 800:1

ViewSonic VX2035wm - Price:$250 (after rebate)
Contrast 800:1

22 in
Dell E228WFP - Price: $276 (dell.com)
Contrast: 800:1

Hanns·G HW-223DPB - Price: $279 (tigerdirect.com)
Resolution: WSXGA+
Contrast 1000:1

not a very clear leader in the pack. I guess the Dell 20in is out.

I'm leaning towards the Hanns·G HW-223DPB or Samsung 206BW. I can't seem to find many reviews on the Hanns-G one. Only a few customer reviews on Newegg.

I have the Hann-s G 22" and I like it a lot, it has the usual light bleed of 22" LCDs at the top and bottom but I can't notice it in gaming and I rarely watch a fullscreen video and never movies on it so it isn't a problem. I will try to post some pictures this weekend. No dead pixels either.

Thanks mitcity. Pictures of the monitor in action would be appreciated. Can you get a pic of the light bleeding and a during game pic? Could you also test a movie to see if the bleeding is noticeable with it? Thanks in advance.

I checked out the Acer 2051 and don't think it is up to par from the customer reviews and specs. They kind of read like OTC drug. May cause light bleeding, ghosting, etc lol

One thing I don't understand is why so many monitor companies put cheap speakers with their LCD. All they get is bad press for it. If they're going to include speakers, make them halfway decent at least. That way they can even market it as a monitor/speaker combo and actually get positive feedback.

the Sammy 206 is actually 2000:1

Samsung
Model 206BW
Colour Black
Display Type Flat panel display
Display Technology TFT active matrix
Display Diagonal Size 20 inch
Display Response Time 2ms
Image Contrast Ratio 2000:1
Max Resolution 1680x1050

after looking closer at the light bleed on the Hanns-G there seems to be some on all sides, the bottom is noticable on WS movies but it isn't terrible. IMO if you want an awesome LCD monitor then you shouldn't be looking at the 22" range. No 22" will be spectacular though they are the pefect size and resolution IMO, now they need to make some non-TN panel ones.

yeah true that! when are they going to get off their lazy asses and make a decent 22" LCD??

Back