Best 24-26" WS Gaming LCD, need some help.

Well, I think I've decided on the Doublesight. For $200 extra, I believe it's worth the price, considering the quality is the same as the $900 Planar, which is the exact same panel. Unless there's a new upcoming release of an IPS panel, I have my mind set on the DS. I also spoke with someone at Doublesight, all DS-263N's come with the Polarizer now.

The biggest problem now is trying to find a retailer in Canada that sells it. I've spoken with NCIX, they have discontinued it and I would really rather not order from the USA. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on this monitor? Preferably from within Canada?

As well, what retailer (that sells the DS) has the best dead pixel policy? I'd be pissed beyond imagination if I ended up with dead pixels.

P.S. - What are the most popular/best colour calibration apps? I read Sypder2Pro was a good choice, but is there something better.

Cyane

10e, I did not like the 2493HM at all. They were right near each other at best buy and even my bf noticed a distinct difference between them as well. Viewing angles were poorer and picture was worse. The HDMI issue with the 26" seems to have been fixed according to some sources.

I have had good luck with HP. I think I can get a longer warranty if I order it through my bf's company so I am not concerned (the Dell was the best warranty, too bad their 24" lag is so bad). My last laptop from HP burned out a couple times and they gave me a new one that was a lot better at no charge! :) So I will be with them for a long time. I like the glossy screen and brightness of the HP more but the 26" was the perfect size. The 2693HM is 100$ more than the HP (if you are going by Best Buy). I'm not sure if HP uses the same panel brands as their laptop but both I've had have had great displays! No dead pixels and no problems in the long run.

I won't be considering a BenQ any longer (I actually was all set to buy the FP 24" W one) since their customer service has been the worst I've ever seen for monitors.

10e, since you seem to know a lot. Have you worked with the Dell UltraSharp 2707WFP? Does it suffer from the same issues as its little brother?

I guess I meant UltraSharp 2709W. Which is closer in price to the 2707 with premier. Curious about it since my eBay auctions are doing well.

Does anyone know if Doublesight has a retailer of the DS-263N ANYWHERE in Canada? I can't find it anywhere, even retailers in the US like Provantage (that are supposed to be the exporter of this monitor to Canada) don't even have it in stock. Provantage showed shipment arrival of June 16th, but days later they change it to July 22. Is the demand that high and supply that low or what?

Cyane

Does anyone know if Doublesight has a retailer of the DS-263N ANYWHERE in Canada? I can't find it anywhere, even retailers in the US like Provantage (that are supposed to be the exporter of this monitor to Canada) don't even have it in stock. Provantage showed shipment arrival of June 16th, but days later they change it to July 22. Is the demand that high and supply that low or what?

Cyane

I've been reading some people in Canada buying the Planar instead due to availability issues.

You could try ordering from Doublesight directly (but it may cost a bit more).

Provantage is the only listed non-US seller of Doublesight LCD's so you may have to wait that long if you really want it.

I don't know about you, but I won't be buying the Planar. It's the same panel, and I'm not going to dish out +$200 more for the same thing. It looks like I'll be waiting for it. I'll be ultra pissed if it comes with any dead pixels as well. NCIX.ca has it listed o ntheir site as available, but special order and soon to be discontinued, don't ask me why.

Btw, what is Doublesight's dead pixel policy anyway?

Cyane

Actually, it's looking like I'd pay the extra 150$ for the Planar since I'd spend that in a good ergotron stand anyways (that is if I choose the IPS panel) and paying more for a better warranty if you ask me.

Doublesights dead pixel policy is 7+, whereas Planar's is 3+.

I'm a performance enthusiast, but I also go for the performance/price ratio - meaning I won't buy two Gefore 9800GX2's, for example, which would cost like $1300 to squeeze out only a marginal increase in performance when I could pay 1/4 the price of that and get something equal to or slightly slower in performance. It was already a $200 jump when I went from my original choice of the BenQ FP241VW for $489 (because of the mixed reviews/opinions) to the Doublesight which is $200. There is no reason to justify another $200 increase (producing a new total increase of $400) to purchase something that is virtually the same as it's competition, except for the name and slight differences that have little to no impact in performance or quality =P.

buy two Gefore 9800GX2's, for example, which would cost like $1300

I think you mean GTX 280's....

I'm not saying you have to go with a Planar, but you'll be waiting at least a month for the DS and don't complain. But you can't ignore that the stand on the DS stinks, for me I'd have to buy a 150$ stand so right there is my price difference (and dead pixels, I'd die with 7 glaring at me everyday). Don't know whether you need it or not but don't need to write me a life story on why you aren't getting a Planar lol. I rate quality a lot on cs and warranty too, that is an individual preference.

I think you mean GTX 280's....

I'm not saying you have to go with a Planar, but you'll be waiting at least a month for the DS and don't complain. But you can't ignore that the stand on the DS stinks, for me I'd have to buy a 150$ stand so right there is my price difference (and dead pixels, I'd die with 7 glaring at me everyday). Don't know whether you need it or not but don't need to write me a life story on why you aren't getting a Planar lol. I rate quality a lot on cs and warranty too, that is an individual preference.

No I meant the 9800GX2, the price right now is about 600-699 still.

How was that a life story, lol? I was telling you not everybody wants to overspend for minimal gains like the difference between the Planar and Doublesight. Yes, everybody has a preference, and I was just stating mine. I wasn't complaining, I was looking for people (since this monitor is so popular) that knew if the monitor is available anywhere and if not, when it would be - simple. And I don't know if you've noticed, but dead pixels are a lot rarer these days than when LCDs first came to the market.

No I meant the 9800GX2, the price right now is about 600-699 still.

No, you can get them as low as 420$ at Newegg, even locally in an overpriced store they are still 540$ for BFG brand. The GTX 280 is $600-$700.

How was that a life story, lol? I was telling you not everybody wants to overspend for minimal gains like the difference between the Planar and Doublesight. Yes, everybody has a preference, and I was just stating mine. I wasn't complaining, I was looking for people (since this monitor is so popular) that knew if the monitor is available anywhere and if not, when it would be - simple. And I don't know if you've noticed, but dead pixels are a lot rarer these days than when LCDs first came to the market.

Personally I don't think a good stand and good warranty/cs is minimal gains (overspending would be the NEC), just stating the info on an open forum for others considering these panels. Good Ergotrons are $100+.

There is a whole huge thread dedicated to the 26", you're not the only one who can't find it in Canada according to that thread. Doublesights website says the only international dealer is Provantage. So it's unlikely you'll find it anywhere else that is reputable. They say on their site when they expect more stock in, looks like late July and they keep changing it.

Dead pixels are still an issue, and more common in value brands/models. One person had said dead pixels are still an issue with H-IPS in the Doublesight thread. I'd suggest reading it, if you haven't already.

Ok, I'm going to pull the trigger on a BenQ monitor after reading good feedback here, thanks guys.
But I am very confused about which monitor to get. With the promo code, the V2400W is about the same price as the G2400W and G2400WD. I am looking for the best monitor for fast fps gaming on the PC over DVI and the XBOX 360 over HDMI. I know it is a TN, but I am hoping the vertical viewing angle isn't horrible like the Gateway FHD2400 I had to return. That is why I am leary of buying online where it is a pain to return it. I also need the model with the speaker output to hook up to a stereo system for the XBOX HDMI use. From what I see at face to face, the older G2400W is actually faster/less lag than the new V2400W?
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=48&mo2=304&p2=2943&ph=12
I don't care about the slight difference in prices of these 3 models, or the external looks. I just want to get the best one for me (best viewing angle vertically, best picture, and lowest lag, fastest response time and all the input/outputs I need). Can someone who has used two or three of these models let me know which to buy? And a stuck pixel would definately drive me crazy, so I assume I should buy directly from Benq in case I need to return it. Thanx

Back