Best 24 inch LCD WS

Pivo504

2[H]4U
Ok I was going to get a 20 inch LCD either the Dell 2007 or the NEC 20WMGX. However, with the dell lotto going on and the NEC being the price of a 24 inch I figured why not just go with 24...My cousin owns a 20 inch Viewsonic 2025 and I started finding it to be a bit small compared to my 19 inch CRT only 1 inch in 4 corners is hardly an upgrade.... So now I am asking what is the best 24 inch WS monitor for gaming FPS, RTS games (no ghosting whatsover, best colors, speeds, ect)?

People like the Gateway, BenQ and Dell 24'' models. All have huge threads here, compare and weigh the features. I went with the Gateway and I'm overjoyed with the product.

If you're a serious gamer, check out the Sony FW900 monitor featured at the sticky in this forum. That would be the best for gaming.

I went from a Viewsonic 19 inch CRT to the 20.1 2025 and I have found it to be an upgrade (all games I play support widescreen) so that extra space for gaming was a big plus. Be advised the Viewsonic 2025 and the Sony FW900 do not support HDCP. You didn't mention consoles so this shouldn't be a problem (only a problem with the PS3 right now anyways).

For 600 bucks you aren't going to find perfection. I tried the Gateway (3 of 'em) over a couple weeks and didn't like its smearing. Got rid of it. Dell has the same S-PVA panel, may be better or worse, I don't know. A lot of folks are paying a little bit more to get the BenQ and seem happy with it.

Best Buy and Costco are your friends. Check out the Gateway/Dell, if you don't like 'em, return 'em.

Of course in stores the monitors always look worse than at home... I wasn't impressed with the Gateway being hooked up directly to a PC at CompUSA. Personally the BenQ sounds like the real deal with the firmware fix... I may get that if the Dell 27incher doesn't come down to around 1,100. But thats not the point of this thread..... I have not personally dealt with the Dell 2407, I can imagine its quality isn't bad though (seems to be a lot of happy owners on these boards).

Either way, best of luck on your future purchase!

Lots of problems with all the 24" LCD widescreen models.

The major contenders are:
Dell 2407
Samsung 244T
Gateway
BenQ FP241W/WZ (WZ not out yet)

There is also the HP (I think?), Acer, Spectre, NEC, Eizo.

NEC and Eizo are around 2x expensive as the other 24" models. Acer doesn't have HDCP support. All of them have their own problems, up to you to decide price:quality and any other factors you want to consider.

Personally, I like the BenQ 24" best, and many agree, but I am still having a hard time buying it because a barrage of problems has recently been reported about it that I don't like. I ruled out the Dell, Samsung, Gateway, Acer, Spectre, and HP because they all had what I consider major problems, so I just simply stopped considering them. That left the BenQ, which seemed to be close to perfection after the 1:1 firmware fix, but then, with the recently reported problems, I am still holding off. The NEC and Eizo are simply too expensive for most people.

I do not want a big fat 24 inch crt lol My cousin has a 20 inch viewsonic 2025 and Ive been hooked on it and cant stand my CRT anymore. I wish I could game on a 24 inch screen to see if its too big or not. 20 inch seems perfect for PC gaming since your pretty close to the monitor and also supporting 20 inch rez will be cheaper than 24. But I really dont feel like playing the lotto or buying the nec for 600....I wish the NEC also came without the TV tuner bc I hear they used to sell for only 450. Too many decisions...but is Dell still shipping S-ISP panels to people??

I will say that the Gateway I bought yesterday has impressed me. I don't have any ghosting, no dead pixels and no bleeding issues. Not only that, it's a Nov monitor. I know that others have been having issues with the older 24" Gateway monitors, but for me it's no issue. I might not be as picky as some of the other people but I'm liking the 24" monitor.

I do have to tweak it a bit, but it's doing great.

Personal taste has a lot to do with selection.

I've posted a bunch of info over on the BenQ 24" thread, feel free to look at some of my posts.... overall I'm very happy with the purchase. It even traveled well (in it's original box, packed by me) to a LAN event I attended last weekend in Louisiana. Most of the people there were impressed (...by the scantly clad women on my 24" monitor.) =)

So now I am asking what is the best 24 inch WS monitor for gaming FPS, RTS games (no ghosting whatsover, best colors, speeds, ect)?

man, people think LCD's are a magic bullet - dont mean to sound rude but there will ALWAYS be ghosting and LCD's will NEVER be fast enough for FPS's, period. Zero MS is STILL too slow for FPS's.
Unless you want to pay a couple months salary on an LCD, then what you are asking for is an impossiblilty,or at least not anytime even in the distant future, not to mention everything you're asking for all combined into one.

what you're asking for above is only possible with CRT's. Sorry, thats just the way it is. :(

If you are a hard core competitive gamers and play really fast moving games that takes advantage of response time, then no. Games such as run and gun, fast dodging is your main concern, you better stick with a CRT for the time being.

I bought an Acer AL2423W and my game play went down hill. I'm playing Unreal Tournament 99 and the monitor can't even keep up with the fast paste movements. Now I have two monitors side by side. I'm using my Viewsonic P95f+ for games such as UT99 and everything else I use my LCD. I'm pretty happy with my Acer AL2423W but it's doesn't cut it for the game that I am playing. I mean 6ms repsonse time is decent enough for alot of other games out there but it will not be good enough if you need to see every single frames without the blurriness.

Well my cousin owns a 2025 viewsonic LCD and Ive played CS: Source and Call of Duty and I dont notice ghosting. I actually game better on that WS than I do on my CRT.....So I dunno where you guys get this info from. Im not looking for the PERFECT LCD, just the best of the best for gaming.

I have spent many hundreds of hours playing Q3 and UT99 and RTCW,and no problems
with ghosting on my 2407 WPF.

I have spent many hundreds of hours playing Q3 and UT99 and RTCW,and no problems
with ghosting on my 2407 WPF.

Well the game speed for the UT99 is set to 125 to 135 speed so it could be a major different. Not sure what your setting is. I'm playing Zark mods so that could be a different story. Trust me on this when I say you will notice a big difference when you switch back to CRT. You see every frames perfectly. But like what I've said, it shouldn't affect many other games out there and since you're playing CS: Source and Call of Duty, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

I say if you can get your hands on any 24" such as the Acer, Dell or Benq locally go for it. There is also the 26" Acer.

Always buy it locally with an extended warranty especially at bestbuy. If anything goes wrong with it you can exchange it for a better one. Even if it's 2 years later and your monitor is dying out. If you bought it for $900 back then with 3years warranty you can pick up another monitor for the same price or better but you'll paid the difference if it's abit more expensive. So in 2 years there will be better monitors so I think it's a great bargain.

The acer 26 inch AL2616Wd really caught my eye because of price. I read a lot of negative stuff about it like early models having problems with dvi being limited to like 1650x1080. I also read a lot of people had problems with the 24 inch model with no signal problem. If only a place like costco carried it so I could return any lemon instead of dealing directly with acer. I am in no hurry any more I will just wait it out and hope prices drop and some of the bugs of some of the monitors get worked out.

Well the game speed for the UT99 is set to 125 to 135 speed so it could be a major different. Not sure what your setting is. I'm playing Zark mods so that could be a different story. Trust me on this when I say you will notice a big difference when you switch back to CRT. You see every frames perfectly. But like what I've said, it shouldn't affect many other games out there and since you're playing CS: Source and Call of Duty, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

I say if you can get your hands on any 24" such as the Acer, Dell or Benq locally go for it. There is also the 26" Acer.

Always buy it locally with an extended warranty especially at bestbuy. If anything goes wrong with it you can exchange it for a better one. Even if it's 2 years later and your monitor is dying out. If you bought it for $900 back then with 3years warranty you can pick up another monitor for the same price or better but you'll paid the difference if it's abit more expensive. So in 2 years there will be better monitors so I think it's a great bargain.

So he should buy from an expensive retailer, pay for the extra insurance and in 2-3 years he gets a new one because the Best Buy insurance is simply a replacement policy for when you get tired of your current model?

Best Buy Product Replacement Plan:
"If your product is found defective under normal usage, we will provide a replacement"
For the non english speaking, the above says, "buy the insurance and when you'r ready come in and select a newer model and only pay the difference in price"

Or he has to pray his monitor takes a dump within the warranty period, hopefully around the time something good comes out? This is very very likely, I mean this 3 year old Dell 2001FP squeaks and rattles like crazy these days, it's bound to go out any second now.

I know, he can just fake it! Tell them it's broken and I'm sure Best Buy will hand him a voucher for replacement, no questions asked. Best Buy is all about customer service and keeping customers very happy at any cost...
http://bestbuysux.org/cust.html
The posts from the people that purchased extended warranties turn out so well, I just like to read them and let the Best Buy love fill my heart.

So he should buy from an expensive retailer, pay for the extra insurance and in 2-3 years he gets a new one because the Best Buy insurance is simply a replacement policy for when you get tired of your current model?

Best Buy Product Replacement Plan:
"If your product is found defective under normal usage, we will provide a replacement"
For the non english speaking, the above says, "buy the insurance and when you'r ready come in and select a newer model and only pay the difference in price"

Or he has to pray his monitor takes a dump within the warranty period, hopefully around the time something good comes out? This is very very likely, I mean this 3 year old Dell 2001FP squeaks and rattles like crazy these days, it's bound to go out any second now.

I know, he can just fake it! Tell them it's broken and I'm sure Best Buy will hand him a voucher for replacement, no questions asked. Best Buy is all about customer service and keeping customers very happy at any cost...
http://bestbuysux.org/cust.html
The posts from the people that purchased extended warranties turn out so well, I just like to read them and let the Best Buy love fill my heart.

That's the reason I like about Bestbuy. I've bought alot of products from them. Open it, stick it into my computer and if I don't like it. Make up a good excuse and return it for a refund with no hassle. Try doing that at a computer retailers. I've had major headaches from computer retailers. They accused you of damaging the products that you've bought. So since I know this monitor is going to malfunction on me within a couple of months. It's going to deteriorate but I don't really care because if it does, and if there is a better model out there I'm going to pick that up if my model no longer exist. LCD are pretty easy to get damage.

I know it's a bit more expensive but when it comes to fragile electronics, you buy it from Bestbuy or any other retailers with the same kind of warranty policy.

Damn, the American's customery service at Bestbuy suck. Well there's no doubt there will be lots of complains since there are so many customers. I would bet many of the complains are fake or made up on that website. So you think Bestbuy is bad? Try buying from computer retailers. You will be charged 15% to restock their product and good luck try fighting them. I can find you sites where people who complains about Walmart, Apple, Microsoft, ATI, Nvidia, George W Bush ect...

Congratualtions, you must be the only person in the world that Best Buy lets swap stuff, no questions asked (read some stuff in the link I posted). You don't have to go through service calls and 3 repairs before you actually get a new unit, like everyone else that deals with thte BB insurance.

I'm curious, how are LCDs so easily damaged? I mean I have about 5 of them and none are showing much wear and tear as all they do is sit there.

Congratualtions, you must be the only person in the world that Best Buy lets swap stuff, no questions asked (read some stuff in the link I posted). You don't have to go through service calls and 3 repairs before you actually get a new unit, like everyone else that deals with thte BB insurance.

I'm curious, how are LCDs so easily damaged? I mean I have about 5 of them and none are showing much wear and tear as all they do is sit there.

No one is asking you to buy it from them or buy their extended warranty. There are alot of complains about ATI and Nvidia products out there and it's isn't stopping anyone from buying them. Do you get my point or you're just too stubborn trying to get your point across bestbuy sux garbage? There will always be people getting screw over no matter what products it is or the place they bought it from. So please get your skull straighten out.

Yeah, you're right...YOU are the one that told him how you go to Best Buy, get the extra insurance and plan on returning that model for a better model whenever it's convenient.

Why would people make up 8 years worth of Best Buy complaints? Is there some kind of new hobby I'm missing out on, "get on the web and post fake complaints about retailers"?

Still waiting for one of my 5 LCD monitors to start malfunctioning and deteriorating, like they all do according to you.

Yeah, you're right...YOU are the one that told him how you go to Best Buy, get the extra insurance and plan on returning that model for a better model whenever it's convenient.

Why would people make up 8 years worth of Best Buy complaints? Is there some kind of new hobby I'm missing out on, "get on the web and post fake complaints about retailers"?

Still waiting for one of my 5 LCD monitors to start malfunctioning and deteriorating, like they all do according to you.

Hey noob, you haven't been here long enough. Look around and see how many people are having problems with their LCD. I gave him an option. No one is forcing him. Which is smarter then buying it from a computer retailers. If you disagreed that Bestbuy isn't better than many other retailers out there, then you've probably living under a rock. You sir, just got on here and start shit. Just because you're one of a lucky few who have no problem with your lcd so far doesn't mean everyone is being that lucky. Let see your 5 LCD you're talking about.

Just because there's a negative site dedicated to the bestbuy doesn't mean the positives doesn't totally outweight the negatives. If an ignorant person like you who find a negative sites about Nvidia video cards and based your opinion on that site without also checking out the positive about it too, then it totally show how narrowed minded you are.

Hey noob, you haven't been here long enough. Look around and see how many people are having problems with their LCD. I gave him an option. No one is forcing him. Which is smarter then buying it from a computer retailers. If you disagreed that Bestbuy isn't better than many other retailers out there, then you've probably living under a rock. You sir, just got on here and start shit. Just because you're one of a lucky few who have no problem with your lcd so far doesn't mean everyone is being that lucky. Let see your 5 LCD you're talking about.

Just because there's a negative site dedicated to the bestbuy doesn't mean the positives doesn't totally outweight the negatives. If an ignorant person like you who find a negative sites about Nvidia video cards and based your opinion on that site without also checking out the positive about it too, then it totally show how narrowed minded you are.

Hey stupid, I'm hardly "one of a lucky few". dude, you had a problem with a Benq, so did some other people, get over it. The fact that Unreal99 didn't run to your exacting specifications and caused you to get owned in battle like a little b#t%h doesn't mean that everyone's monitor is on a predestined path to catastrophic failure. Maybe it's YOU?

There is a pro- Best Buy section on that site, but so far you are a little too slow to discover that. Maybe you could provide some more pro Best Buy links, you know, to back up your side of the argument. Or does your "Limp Gawd" status and your incredible sig make you the one that all should listen to without question. Are you so dense that you would see a site like that and chalk it up to "meaningless internet ramblings, probably fake". Speaking of rocks....

Hey stupid, I'm hardly "one of a lucky few". dude, you had a problem with a Benq, so did some other people, get over it. The fact that Unreal99 didn't run to your exacting specifications and caused you to get owned in battle like a little b#t%h doesn't mean that everyone's monitor is on a predestined path to catastrophic failure. Maybe it's YOU?

There is a pro- Best Buy section on that site, but so far you are a little too slow to discover that. Maybe you could provide some more pro Best Buy links, you know, to back up your side of the argument. Or does your "Limp Gawd" status and your incredible sig make you the one that all should listen to without question. Are you so dense that you would see a site like that and chalk it up to "meaningless internet ramblings, probably fake". Speaking of rocks....

First I don't own a Benq and there's nothing majorly wrong with my monitor. Since you don't have the intelligent to see that there are ghosting affect on every LCD monitor out there. Don't change topic because you have just got owned by your own logic. I feel pity for you since you probably got screwed by Bestbuy so don't go ranting to me about your bad experiences. Hopefully you get screwed by another retailers so that you can also come in here and bitch about that too. Noobs mean a person who hasn't been here long enough to see many people about their complains about their monitors. There are Noobs in here who has more common sense than you do.

Pro or Con Bestbuy. I don't give a damn. I'll still buy from them just to piss you off.

Still waiting to see that 5 gorgeous LCD that you own.

Sorry people for hijacking this site but my ranting is over and please continue on with your real discussion.

I bought mine with a 5 year advanced exchange warranty :D = Me is a very happy camper... I bought it through a friend who works for Dell Canada,he got me a really great deal,got the LCD and the ext warranty for under 700 Cdn with tax,and it was the lastest revision.I was going to 'buy locally',but BestBuys PRP and PSP was far too expensive,and not as good as Dells warranty plan.49 $ for 5 years versus 219+ dollars + taxes for only four years !!!! :eek: No way,too much extra cash
for what would have been a Gateway FPD2485W,but alas I got an A04 :D Poor me.

Edit: Asia,I own 5 other LCD's and a still have a Samsung 955DF from 2003 in mint condish,as well as a Samsung 950b,the 2407 is better by far.

I bought mine with a 5 year advanced exchange warranty :D = Me is a very happy camper... I bought it through a friend who works for Dell Canada,he got me a really great deal,got the LCD and the ext warranty for under 700 Cdn with tax,and it was the lastest revision.I was going to 'buy locally',but BestBuys PRP and PSP was far too expensive,and not as good as Dells warranty plan.49 $ for 5 years versus 219+ dollars + taxes for only four years !!!! :eek: No way,too much extra cash
for what would have been a Gateway FPD2485W,but alas I got an A04 :D Poor me.

Edit: Asia,I own 5 other LCD's and a still have a Samsung 955DF from 2003 in mint condish,as well as a Samsung 950b,the 2407 is better by far.

Yeah it's pretty obvious if you going to buy a Dell monitor, best thing is to buy it from Dell since they are their own big retailer and they have excellent warranty. Dell is a few retailers I would deal with online and shipping. Since I hate having my thing ship from a long distance because of the waiting process and the pain in the ass of having to packaged it and ship it out and wait for a fix/new one.

My point was pretty much is to get a extended warranty on products you spend so much money on. Extended warranty isn't for everyone. It's up to the person. But I preferred to add extended warranty on my LCD monitor and my laptop. Imagine something did go wrong and passed it 1 yr warranty and you can't get it fix. You might get dead pixels, uneven backlight, contrast,brightness and color is gradually fading out and need a replacement. But it also depend on the brand and how much you use it. I preferred to not play play Russian roulette.

Back