Best 24 inch PVA with lowest delay for gaming?

WoKeN

Weaksauce
Hey can anyone help me look for a great PVA monitor at 24 inches with low delay/response time (something around 2-6 ms), I am also looking for HDCP and HDMI support for the monitor. 1:1 scaling option is very important too since I want to play games on smaller resolutions

Is there any monitor out there that fits this description?

If you can still find it, the LG L246WP is the lowest lag monitor available in North America using MVA technology.

It does support 1:1 pixel mapping for a number of resolutions, or at least proper aspect ratio preservation on scaled pictures, has an HDMI, component and VGA.

Another good choice is the BenQ FP241W which has the same panel as the LG and has DVI, HDMI, component, VGA, s-video and composite. It also has P.I.P. where it allows composite or s-video to be overlaid on a digital image. Look for one with a post-June 2007 build date to get the best firmware revision that enables overscan control and proper 1:1 mapping for 1920x1080 over VGA.

It is also one of the few commercially available monitors that can actually do 480p over HDMI without incorrect scaling. The other one is the NEC LCD2x90WuXi-BK, but that is more expensive, and does not support interlaced resolutions, which the BenQ FP241W/VW does fairly well.

The BenQ is rated at having higher input lag (2 to 3 frames) by digitalversus.com but I do not believe this 100% and those who have used it have never complained of input lag issues on these FP241 screens. I have the FP241VW and it does not subjectively feel laggy at all (even in clone mode with a fast TN like the G2400W).

The Hyundai W241D is rated as having nearly zero input lag by Digitalversus.com but I have seen another review listing the input lag being close to 2 frames. It also uses an S-PVA panel (I believe from Samsung).

Here's the link:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=141&p1=1562&ma2=49&mo2=331&p2=3106&ph=1

The only issues with the LG L246WP and BenQ FP241 series is availability is somewhat constrained in the U.S.

Best of luck.

Regards,

10e

You can get an LG 246WP from overstock. It is a refurb with a 90 day distributor warranty. It's pretty cheap at $389.00. The only other decent e-tailer is nerds.net, but they are out of stock. I have one and have recently been looking for a second but without success.

Good luck on your search. I love mine and truly wish I could find a second.

Have people had good experiences with refurbs from there?

I've been wondering if it's worth it to go up to the Dell 2408WFP, even though that's around $600.

If you can still find it, the LG L246WP is the lowest lag monitor available in North America using MVA technology.

It does support 1:1 pixel mapping for a number of resolutions, or at least proper aspect ratio preservation on scaled pictures, has an HDMI, component and VGA.

Another good choice is the BenQ FP241W which has the same panel as the LG and has DVI, HDMI, component, VGA, s-video and composite. It also has P.I.P. where it allows composite or s-video to be overlaid on a digital image. Look for one with a post-June 2007 build date to get the best firmware revision that enables overscan control and proper 1:1 mapping for 1920x1080 over VGA.

It is also one of the few commercially available monitors that can actually do 480p over HDMI without incorrect scaling. The other one is the NEC LCD2x90WuXi-BK, but that is more expensive, and does not support interlaced resolutions, which the BenQ FP241W/VW does fairly well.

The BenQ is rated at having higher input lag (2 to 3 frames) by digitalversus.com but I do not believe this 100% and those who have used it have never complained of input lag issues on these FP241 screens. I have the FP241VW and it does not subjectively feel laggy at all (even in clone mode with a fast TN like the G2400W).

The Hyundai W241D is rated as having nearly zero input lag by Digitalversus.com but I have seen another review listing the input lag being close to 2 frames. It also uses an S-PVA panel (I believe from Samsung).

Here's the link:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=141&p1=1562&ma2=49&mo2=331&p2=3106&ph=1

The only issues with the LG L246WP and BenQ FP241 series is availability is somewhat constrained in the U.S.

Best of luck.

Regards,

10e

Is there anything else Like a Samsung, NEC, or Viewsonic that has a PVA panel with extremely low delay for gaming?

Ugh, all this research is leading me to believe there are barely none or any PVA 24 inch Panels that have low latency delay/input lag that of a fast TN with great quality color PVA.

Should I just want a couple more months/year or Should I just buy something now, I'm tired of using my old 2002 LCD 17 inch monitors, but I want the fastest LCD with the best color, etc.

Have people had good experiences with refurbs from there?

I've been wondering if it's worth it to go up to the Dell 2408WFP, even though that's around $600.
I've bought from Overstock before, but unfortunately no, not refurbs. I'm going to get one, but it'll be a few weeks out before I do.

I have looked at the Dell and it is similar in price (I think I paid $550) to the LG when I bought it new.

Samsung and NEC have current models, and Viewsonic has the VX2435WM,as well, but not sure for how long.

Unfortunately most VA panels are not low lag. Complaints of lag on the Samsung and Dell have been reported here fairly often.

It's unfortunate, because many of them are fine screens in their own right, but not for high speed FPS gaming.

Your next choice is something like the IPS 26" monitors from Planar, Doublesight, or Hazro (if in the UK).

The Doublesight DS-265W, Planar PX2611W, or Hazro HZ26W are all excellent low lag IPS screens, but in the US they retail upwards of $700.00 normally.

this might help you:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y

Regards,

10e

Is there anything else Like a Samsung, NEC, or Viewsonic that has a PVA panel with extremely low delay for gaming?

Ugh, all this research is leading me to believe there are barely none or any PVA 24 inch Panels that have low latency delay/input lag that of a fast TN with great quality color PVA.

Should I just want a couple more months/year or Should I just buy something now, I'm tired of using my old 2002 LCD 17 inch monitors, but I want the fastest LCD with the best color, etc.

I will go further than saying they are not for FPS gaming. If you are sensitive, bad laggers (Dell 2408) just suck for everything IMO.

Mouse motion felt like it was moving through mud on my 24" PVA and it has nothing to do with screen size/resolution or mouse drivers as some will claim. I used a 30 inch 2560x1600 IPS screen and experienced no such lag. PVA screens are the worse (mostly Samsung/Dell) but some MVA screens have been half decent, but still not as lag free as the faster TN/IPS screens.

Think of it in terms of frames of lag:

1 or less frames: Lots of TNs, a couple of IPS
1 to 2 frames: Most IPS, many MVAs
2 to 3 frames: Most PVAs
4+ frames: Heavily processed PVAs/DLPs/LCD TVs with processing on.

I can handle the first two categories, beyond that I can't stand using the display. YMMV

Agree on the LG L245/246 model if you can find it. I went through several 24-inchers before I settled on this one.

Good to know about the Dell.

I guess I'll start investigating if it's worth it for me to go with the Planar or Doublesight (I hear a new DoubleSight model is coming out soon? Maybe that's just the 30")

On the other hand maybe I'll consider a refurb on that LG.

I'm going to have to go check what is at my local stores. I have been looking for a good monitor that is a good ballance between low latency and image quality for several months now but haven't found a thing less than about $700 US. It would be nice to find a nice 22'-24' IPS but so far no luck. It's a shame that the industry can't get it's crap together and make something in the midrange that was good.

Just buy a DS-263N. 0 input lag, 5ms response time, and the BEST colors out of all of the panel types. If you built a good computer, don't get shiesty when it comes to a display. 1920x1200 is better resolution anywase. 26" or higer. 24 inches is dinky. Save up, 700 isn't that much. Unless your a poor bastard, in which case just get a TN panel and give up competitive gaming.

I know your thread is asking for a PVA 24 gaming panel. They do not exist. Get the DS, or get out of gaming.

Just buy a DS-263N. 0 input lag, 5ms response time, and the BEST colors out of all of the panel types. If you built a good computer, don't get shiesty when it comes to a display. 1920x1200 is better resolution anywase. 26" or higer. 24 inches is dinky. Save up, 700 isn't that much. Unless your a poor bastard, in which case just get a TN panel and give up competitive gaming.

I know your thread is asking for a PVA 24 gaming panel. They do not exist. Get the DS, or get out of gaming.
Uhh...go rage more somewhere else man? Just because he doesn't get a certain monitor doesn't mean he should quit gaming. Maybe he is in school and can't afford to spend $700. To me, that is a lot of money to spend on a single item when having to work just a few months in the summer and ration the income throughout the school year.

Back