Best 24"

Rhydas

n00b
Hi to all, this is my first post in this good forum ( sorry for my bad english, i am italian )

Reading this forum and review on the net I am not sure wich of the 24" is the best
Now I am using an "old" 21 CRT Sony G520 but it is getting old and sometimes the image is not good as it was, so with a lot of fear about ghosting, input lag, taering ecc ecc I start to read about LCD and the best one i found is

Samsung 245T
the new BENQ FP241VW
the new 24" NEC but i read that it is not good as the 26"
and the Eizo S2411

I think that Eizo is very good but I never find a review or a discussiona about it
Wich one do you suggest ?

I'd like to buy a very good monitor that don't make me regret my old Sony.

Thanx
Davide

good thread, I want to know too! What about the Dell 2407FPW? Is it not even a contender? That would be bad because I like THE BEST products and I'm planning on getting a Dell 2407FPW. Tell me I'm not making a mistake.

I think that the Dell use a 8-bit panel,
the Eizo use a 14-bit panel much better IMHO.

Check out the Acer, I hear its a P-MVA. The overwhelming majority of 24" panels are S-PVA's, which have a shitty viewing angle (a dark spot in the dead center).

if you go on Eizo website you can see that it is a S-PVA and 14bit
and i read that they do 5 years on site assistence

The best 24 inch for you Mariati, is a thin crust with mozerella and tomatoes.

No seriously, I'd go for the BenQ or the Dell.

Check out the Acer, I hear its a P-MVA. The overwhelming majority of 24" panels are S-PVA's, which have a shitty viewing angle (a dark spot in the dead center).

Is the Acer HDCP? And what is the model number?

"There's a least one other 24" P-MVA on the market, if I remember correctly."

Which one?

if you go on Eizo website you can see that it is a S-PVA and 14bit
and i read that they do 5 years on site assistence

thanks, i do see its 14-bit. 8 bit should be ok though. I'm just worried about the viewing angles...and I guess the color.

Just a quick question, what good is a 14bit panel if the video card (and DVI standard) is only sending out 8bits?

Also regarding the P-MVA vs S-PVA statement, I was under the impression that S-PVA is better than P-MVA. At least that's the impression I got from the stickie on TFT tech.

MVA (Multidomain Vertical Alignment)
- compromise between TN and IPS technologies
- superior color reproduction over TN but not as good as IPS
- very good viewing angles but less than IPS
- higher contrast than TN or S-IPS means very good blacks
- dead pixels are black
- slower pixel response than TN or IPS
- details can be lost when directly viewing dark areas

Premium-MVA (P-MVA)
- same as MVA except ...
- "overdrive" technology increases pixel response but still slower than TN
- may have slightly degraded color reproduction due to "overdrive" process
PVA (Patterned VA)
- same as MVA except ...
- larger viewing angles
- higher contrast levels means darkest blacks
Super-PVA (S-PVA)
- same as PVA except ...
- “Magic Speed” (the Samsung equivalent to Overdrive) improves pixel response
- slightly improved color reproduction
- slightly improved viewing angles

good question ryan, i think you answered it.
......so is 2001FP --> 2407FPW a good upgrade path?

I own an S-PVA. The corners of the monitor are lighter than the center. It is very bothersome in dark games, pictures, or anything with shadows. If I put up a solid grey screen, it looks like a gradient. That kind of chart is the reason I made my S-PVA purchase. It does not detail the limitations of S-PVA. Besides, that's ancient information from early panels that had, like, 400:1 contrast ratios.

Fact is, S-PVA has color shifting if you are directly facing the monitor. My left eye is seeing a different shade than my right eye.

I own an S-PVA. The corners of the monitor are lighter than the center. It is very bothersome in dark games, pictures, or anything with shadows. If I put up a solid grey screen, it looks like a gradient. That kind of chart is the reason I made my S-PVA purchase. It does not detail the limitations of S-PVA. Besides, that's ancient information from early panels that had, like, 400:1 contrast ratios.

Fact is, S-PVA has color shifting if you are directly facing the monitor. My left eye is seeing a different shade than my right eye.

I wasn't saying that S-PVA was the superior product or didn't have viewing angle problem, jsut that it's still better than P-MVA. I have a monitor with an S-PVA panel and I know exactly what you're talking about, I just haven't been able to compare it to a P-MVA panel and can only go by the stuff I read here and other places.

so even a S-PVA is a good monitor.... :(

"Fact is, S-PVA has color shifting if you are directly facing the monitor. My left eye is seeing a different shade than my right eye."

wich monitor do u have ?

I hoped that this expensive 24" were good monitor but if I spend more than 1000Euros for a monitor and the "My left eye is seeing a different shade than my right eye." i will throw it out of the window....:mad:

I have the 21" widescreen Gateway FPD2185W. The closer you sit to the monitor, and the darker the color, the worse the problem is.

Reading your comments on LCD make me think to keep my Sony CRT alive and say goodbye to LCD thoughts.....

"My left eye is seeing a different shade than my right eye"
"The closer you sit to the monitor, and the darker the color, the worse the problem is."

Better i start looking for same place and repair the lil problem that my Sony CRT has, if LCD ( Eizo too ??? ) have the things you say

If you go on Eizo website you can see that it is a S-PVA and 14bit ...
You should never judge any piece of electronics purely by the specs. I'm not saying that the Eizo is a bad monitor, but you definitely shouldn't rule out other monitors just because the specs indicate that they may not stack up.

thanks, i do see its 14-bit. 8 bit should be ok though. I'm just worried about the viewing angles...and I guess the color.

The Eizo has a 14 bit LUT not a 14 bit panel. The panel is still 8 bit. The same goes for the NEC which has a 12 bit LUT and an 8 bit panel.

I would also be worried about the color shift in the PVA panel of the Eizo. As always i would recommend going with an S-IPS panel. The NEC has the S-IPS panel, a 12 bit LUT, 4 year warranty, and tons of other features to keep the colors true and the repsonse time down.

You are right gweempose and this is the reason for my post in this forum cuz here i can find a TRUE review and comment about monitor cuz often the review on some website and newspaper are not so good. If a 100 ppl in a forum tell me "hey this sony is a shit" i prefer to trust them instead a famous website review.

Too bad that i know noone that own an Eizo. But the more i read about LCD the less i want to buy it, i read long discussion only about problem even on super expensive monitor brand

So travbomb NEC is better than Eizo cuz they use a better panel S-IPS instead S-PVA ?
I read that the 24" nec is not as good as the 26", and that many 26" have problem with noisy PSU

For those who consider the 24" (2490) version instead of 26" (2690)!

The LCD2490WUXi covers only 69% of the Adobe RGB, while its big brother LCD2690WUXi covers 91% of the Adobe RGB.

So, only difference with these won't be the diagonal size!

You can find this information here (by selecting the display model from the drop list):
http://www.necdisplay.com/products/C...etail.cfm?ID=1

So travbomb NEC is better than Eizo cuz they use a better panel S-IPS instead S-PVA ?
I read that the 24" nec is not as good as the 26", and that many 26" have problem with noisy PSU

For those who consider the 24" (2490) version instead of 26" (2690)!

The LCD2490WUXi covers only 69% of the Adobe RGB, while its big brother LCD2690WUXi covers 91% of the Adobe RGB.

So, only difference with these won't be the diagonal size!

You can find this information here (by selecting the display model from the drop list):
http://www.necdisplay.com/products/C...etail.cfm?ID=1

It is true that the 2490 covers less than the 2690 but the 2490 covers as much as any of those other models you mentioned in the original post.

Also the power supply issue has been resolved.

As far as 24 inchers go the 2490 will be the best one you can get. Gotta get S-IPS

even better of the new 245T samsung ?

Again I would say yes the 2490 is better than the 245T because the 2490 uses S-IPS and teh 245 uses S-PVA.

Also the 245T lacks pretty much all of the features the 2490 has including a 12 bit LUT, Colorcomp, Overdrive, 4 year warranty etc..

so the best monitor around is the nec 26" that is even better than 24"
(sorry for my noob questions )
and thanx for the info

There's not very much arguing that S-IPS is the best of the best. Now, if only there wasn't such a price premium...

IMO, and many more ppl in the IT industry, the type of monitor that's best depends on what you plan to use it for. End of.

Eizo has long been proclaimed the best for designers/developers looking for an LCD with damn near perfect color.

I myself own the BenQ FP124W. I've owned it since the first week they were available. I've been holding out on buying an identical one while i can check out the other 24" 's out there, and for what I need I'm most likely going to be getting another BenQ.

I develop/design/game/browse/everyday use my monitor and it meets my expectations on all these levels. Some places it's weaker, and in others it's marvelous. What matters is how it fits for you.

No human has the same retina, therefore no human can have the same variance in color correctness. The same goes for ghosting and most of the other implications that go along with displays. Beauty, truly, is in the eye of the beholder.

Eizo uses S-IPS also, but only in their high-end series like the ColorEdge GE (not to be confused with the ColorEdge CE series) and their Radiforce series. Besides their high-end panels, they have S-PVA and TN panels as well.

S-IPS is the closest panel type you come to CRT in terms of viewing angle, black level and colors, while S-PVA is the closest you come to black depth and contrast (though the differences in black depth and contrast have been more washed out now with the newer IPS based panels). (0.20 cdm2 measured for the 2707WFP/S-PVA, 0.29 cdm2 for the 2407WFP/S-PVA and 0.27 cdm2 for the NEC 26"/H-IPS). No LCD panels of today comes near the black depth of the CRT still.

As travbomb have stated, the noise issues of the NEC 26" have been resolved (I have this screen and didn't have issues with noise though).

There are advantages with LCD's also, though people mostly refer to disadvantages vs. CRT. LCD's have perfect geometry, no pixel crawl, no constant redraw of screen (refresh), extreme sharpness (pixel perfect) at native resolution (though they are worse on non-native resolution), higher brightness, slimmer and sexier, higher lifespan not to mention that there are more choise in the widescreen format. :D

I did very extensive reviewing and testing of 24" monitors for a client of mine, a photographers agency. They needed a superb monitor, and I ended up buying them an Eizo S2410W. They have a Dell 24" (not sure exact model), two Apple screens, one 24" and one 30", but the Eizo still beat the others hands down, when it comes to color accuracy and overall experience. It just looks so great.

I've been very happy with the color reproduction of my 244T and the 245T, at $800 MSRP is definetly priced in a different ball park than NEC's $1,700 MSRP 26''er.

great thread, I really appreciate my 2001FP a little more now because it is S-IPS. Again, I'm still wondering if going from S-IPS to S-PVA would be a turn off. I do get 4 extra inches....but different colors in the left eye from the right eye...hmmm.

I did very extensive reviewing and testing of 24" monitors for a client of mine, a photographers agency. They needed a superb monitor, and I ended up buying them an Eizo S2410W. They have a Dell 24" (not sure exact model), two Apple screens, one 24" and one 30", but the Eizo still beat the others hands down, when it comes to color accuracy and overall experience. It just looks so great.

The Eizo S2410W is S-PVA, the Dell 24" (2407FPW or 2405WFP) is S-PVA or PVA, the Apple 24" (imac) is S-PVA and the Apple 30" S-IPS. :)

Eizo are good in both tweaking their screens and also adding some extra features to get the most out of any panel they put in it. If I were to look for a S-PVA based monitor, Eizo would be among my first choises.Their (and all others) S-PVA variants have one flaw though that is a characteristic of the S-PVA panels. You can read about Eizo S-PVA here (and also earlier in this thread):
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t10702.html

Not everyone appreciates this. As dot_Zen said: "he type of monitor that's best depends on what you plan to use it for", "Beauty, truly, is in the eye of the beholder." ;)

As long as people are happy, who are we to say they shouldn't be... :)

great thread, I really appreciate my 2001FP a little more now because it is S-IPS.

2001FP is regular, old IPS. Its only 400:1 contrast ratio, so your blacks are dark grey at best. If you were to upgrade to any 1000:1 panel, I'm sure you'd appreciate the contrast boost to your dark colors.

Thanx travbomb and all the others for the great info !
What about gaming ? is 8ms of the nec enough ?

2001FP is regular, old IPS. Its only 400:1 contrast ratio, so your blacks are dark grey at best. If you were to upgrade to any 1000:1 panel, I'm sure you'd appreciate the contrast boost to your dark colors.

I have an unopened 2007FP, should that be better? It has 800:1 contrast ratio. I remember when I got that 1907FP, that thing was majorly bright. Same with my 1905FP..it must've been the contrast ratios were higher. The 2001FP works out for me so far.

Brightness is not the same as contrast ratio. A high contrast ratio is important for dark colors. Though everyone can appreciate a high contrast ratio, it is most important for gamers, graphics designers and movie watchers. 2007FP can be either S-IPS or S-PVA. Dell uses a panel lottery. The S-IPS version would be a huge upgrade, while the S-PVA version would be an upgrade in contrast and response time, and a downgrade in viewing angle.

I wasn't saying that S-PVA was the superior product or didn't have viewing angle problem, jsut that it's still better than P-MVA. I have a monitor with an S-PVA panel and I know exactly what you're talking about, I just haven't been able to compare it to a P-MVA panel and can only go by the stuff I read here and other places.

Not to mention that S-PVA panels today are much better then what was available for purchase even a year ago,and CCFL backlights are getting better as well.And the implementation and gen of the panel,and the manufacturer all can make a great S-PVA or a decent one or a shitty one.As well the asics and scaler in a model can make a world of difference.I had a Dell 2407 A04 for near 3 weeks and sent it back to get a Nec.I have a 2005FPW 20.1" S-IPS from Dell.I know what a good quality lcd screen can look like and what a great quality lcd screen looks like. :) s-pva generally gives you better blacks then
IPS does in games and movies.The only IPS screen I have seen that does kick ass blacks is the Nec 2690 at a small publishing house local to me.

What about the new LG L246W? Have you had a chance to look at it?

I have seen / used it,as well as the Benq 241W and for its price both are great screens,one backed by a good company,except for benq,who have very spotty cs.Eizo
I believe are over priced.

Rhydas : 8ms is more then enough for gaming IMHO.

Back