Best $30-$50 dvd burner?

JAW

Gawd
What's the best dvd reader/burner out there in the $30-$50 dollar price range? Does the Nec 3550 beat everything hands down?

No the NEC is a good drive, but it doesnt beat everything else hands down.

The BenQ 1640/1655/1650 models offer slightly better read performance and depending on media, slightly better burn quality.

The NEC is a fantastic drive, but I went with the BenQ 1655 for the improved burn quality with the media I prefer to use (TY 002 and MCC004).

Another factor that pointed me towards the BenQ was the faster rip speeds for audio and DVD (exceeded by only the Plextor premium series).

Does the NEC 3550/4550 beat others hands down? No, there are others out there that are better in some aspects, but for $40 the NEC is a fantastic buy. If you wanted the lightscribe features, the BenQ 1655 is a strong contender at the $50 price point, but my point is that you will not be unhappy with either purchase.

edit: BenQ dq60 is *ahem* not good.

BigBadBiologist said:
I've bought several 3550As and they are nice stable drives. Newegg sometimes has them as cheap as $35 w/ free shipping. Plus, I just found out, you can do this to them:
http://nechack.host.sk/

wow nice link, i'm totally doing that :)

I have a question about the 3550A though, can it read most media, including somewhat cheap media you can get from local Officedepot's?

gojita said:
wow nice link, i'm totally doing that :)

I have a question about the 3550A though, can it read most media, including somewhat cheap media you can get from local Officedepot's?
The NECs are picky readers, Lite-On and LG drives are better in that respect.

This is why I pimp the BenQ 1640/1655/1650 model:

benq.png

Burned @ 16x with stock firmware and default options.

Bullitt said:
This is why I pimp the BenQ 1640/1655/1650 model:

Burned @ 16x with stock firmware and default options.
Be a man and post full >4400MB scans :p

Like this one:

:D

12X burn on 8X media. Stock FW.

TechHead said:
Be a man and post full >4400MB scans :p

12X burn on 8X media. Stock FW.

Hey, I was at work trying to do a knoppix remaster and that was the only image I had to burn that night. :p

I was just throwing that out as an example of what "Gee, I think I'll burn a DVD and see how it looks"

Not to get into a pissing match, but I think my MCC004 > TY02 given the situation. :D

Geez, they're great burners/media either way.

Bullitt said:
Hey, I was at work trying to do a knoppix remaster and that was the only image I had to burn that night. :p

I was just throwing that out as an example of what "Gee, I think I'll burn a DVD and see how it looks"

Not to get into a pissing match, but I think my MCC004 > TY02 given the situation. :D

Geez, they're great burners/media either way.
Absolutely! Heck, these error rates are less than those on pressed DVDs!
:eek:

TechHead

Do you know what criteria Nero uses to determine the quality score. Comparing PIF of your posted image and my posted image below, mine has a lower PIF average and total, yet yours has a higher quality score. The only thing that's missing on mine is jitter which LiteOn doesn't support.

ty1dz.png

Floppyrn said:
TechHead

Do you know what criteria Nero uses to determine the quality score. Comparing PIF of your posted image and my posted image below, mine has a lower PIF average and total, yet yours has a higher quality score. The only thing that's missing on mine is jitter which LiteOn doesn't support.

IIRC the PIE spikes are the major factors. One spike above a certain number and it knocks the score down 1 point, etc etc.

Your scan isnt bad at all. I think the rule of thumb is PIE < 50000 and PIF < 400 is considered a "great" scan. Also, its like a proc or a 3dmark benchmark; if it doesnt play or is not readable, then the numbers don't mean jack. Alternatively, if it looks like a crummy scan but reads and plays fine, its a good burn.

The scans are mainly there to give a decent estimate on how good a particular media works with a particular drive (on a particular day with a certain phase of the moon, and a roll of the dice). :)

There's something to be read about scans with media that should provide a basis for drive selection, but its not the end-all, be-all of selection criteria. We're really splitting hairs after a 95+ rating, anyways. I've had mid-60's play perfectly.

ufot said:
dammit! I just purchased two 3550 from newegg the other day :(

Its not like you got a bum burner man. NEC 3550's are great drives. I've just been waiting on the 1650 for months now. Mine should be here Monday, I guess. shipped from CA. :\

I really liked my NEC 3540A, but the cd laser died in it. And the fact the faceplate was silver and matched my case.

I went with the BenQ 1655 OEM this time around but the first one wouldn't burn DVDs. And it had some whack firmware GXXX. But the one I just recieved has BCAB. I just hope it works when I get my pc back together.

The GXXX firmware on the BenQ's are "OEM Firmwares" They kinda suck because they never get updated. The Bxxx firmwares on those drives are "Retail Firmwares" and they perform fantastic. I only purchase OEM stuff (like every one else here) and my 1655 came with BCAB firmware (Purchased Feb 06, manufactured 12/05). I flashed it to the BCDB firmware which is the current.

The Gxxx firmware is flashable to Bxxx via "BenqFlasher" utility (search club.cdfreaks.com forums for the util) and it will make the drive better.

edit: the BenQ1650's have three faceplate options. Black, Beige and "Cool Grey" which looks to be silver. Newegg just seems to have the black and beige.

My 1650 has been delivered, can't wait to get off of work to go try it out. :)

Back