Best 30" monitor - 2010 edition!

doesn't sound like

If it's your opinion, then state it that way, don't make blanket statements like you are the utimate authority on the issue :rolleyes:

but I am the utimate authority on the issue ;) - title should be why not to buy a 30' inch monitor 2010 edition! - jk don't get your panties in a bunch

its just my own opinion, If you like gaming on a 30" monitor good for you - But gaming usually requires low response times, I would take a u2410 or over any 30" monitor out there, but again this is just my opinion and you can take it for what its worth - no biggie ;) - Oh yeah I had a chance to play Supcommand on a 3007wfp and on a NEC 3090 monitors and it was awesome just due to vast size of the monitor, I guess it also just depends on what type of games you play

Someones never used a 30" long term.

My 3007wfp-hc is the best gaming monitor I've ever owned.

I've never tried any other 30 inch monitors, but I love my Dell 3007WFP-HC for gaming. :)

And it was a $700 refurb. To maybe that helped.

its just my own opinion, If you like gaming on a 30" monitor good for you - But gaming usually requires low response times, I would take a u2410 or over any 30" monitor out there, but again this is just my opinion and you can take it for what its worth - no biggie ;) - Oh yeah I had a chance to play Supcommand on a 3007wfp and on a NEC 3090 monitors and it was awesome just due to vast size of the monitor, I guess it also just depends on what type of games you play

You sir win a bucket of fail.

The U2410 has high input lag for a modern LCD. See here:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=237&p1=2302&ma2=88&mo2=570&p2=6292&ph=12

I've never tried any other 30 inch monitors, but I love my Dell 3007WFP-HC for gaming. :)

This and see my sig... one of the best gaming 30" monitor out there... the low input lag makes up for the lack of input connections

but I am the utimate authority on the issue ;) - title should be why not to buy a 30' inch monitor 2010 edition! - jk don't get your panties in a bunch
Don't behave like an ass and no one will have any complaints.

Are there any known 30" monitors without the sparkle anti-glare coating? I received my 3007wfp-hc today and I hate the sparkle!

No "sparkle" here on my 3007WFP-HC. Ultra-low input lag to the point I do not notice it at all, and my panel is used for gaming about 90% of the time.

Got it for $700 from the Dell Outlet. Never even been used. Why was it refurb? The box had a slight gash in it, which qualified under Dell to refurb the package. All of the cables, manuals, etc.. were all still sealed in their original packaging. 3007WFP-HC for around $700 = Win. lol

People looking to get a 30" should keep an eye on the Dell Outlet.

ARGHHHHHHHH I got my 3007 in and its broke.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15520/3007.JPG

I'm so pissed off. Now I have to deal with getting this thing returned and my money back >:|.

BTW I'm pretty sure Dell outlet hasn't had a 3007 for many months now. I used to check almost daily and eventually gave up. The number of options have dwindled quite a bit. Dell hasn't had any good coupons and regular price from them is $1400-ish. Costco had it on sale a few months ago for like $1100 just before they stopped carrying it.

I find this all super annoying >:|. All I want is a working 3007 for decent price, <=1100.

There are two or three 3007WFP-HCs in the FS/FT forum for < $800...also check eBay. The Dell outlet isn't the only place to get them (though exchanging for a new one is likely the easiest when purchased there).

Well Id buy a 3007wfp in a heartbeat... Once my Westy LVM37w3 dies. It was a hard choice not buying the 3007wfp for me because I've always wanted a 2560x1600 monitor.

Only reasons I didnt get it was this Westy cost me ~250 bucks and the fact that the extra resolution(while greatly appreciated) usually requires more horsepower to push, which requires more money.

I really am happy with the time I've had with my 3007wfp but I'm ready for a new relationship :)

I'd like a bigger screen - I know some will say that "can't" be done but I have hope. Frankly for typing word documents, excel etc resolution in the 1900s is fine - I don't do much in the way of graphic editing. I do play games on my PC, browse the web, use office, use corel to some degree, watch some movies (not often because of the scaling - looks grainy).

I'd love to give my 2 3007wfp's to family members but there isn't much better to get me interested. I'm really hoping before the end of the year we'll see something impressive. I need the tax right off! :)

well after so many attempts w/Gateway customer service and my broken Gateway 30" monitor that broke second time again after exactly 12 month I am fed up w/Gateway and will never ever ever buy anything from Gateway.

I want Dell just becuase their customer service is better to deal with.
so what is the good price range for Dell 3007?
amazon has one for $1200 is that a good price? but you can also buy 3008 for the same price

here's a good point of reference for you to make your decision - LCDs ranked by use

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226

if your looking for a monitor with no sparkle effect then you want a NEC 2690 or NEC 2490 that have a polarizer, although these wouldn't be the best for gaming, although when I put into overdrive I don't really notice any input lag, buts that just me

It's not just you.

I have a 2490wuxi and use the overdrive feature because that's the kind of application it was designed for. It's great. There's no discernable input lag whatsoever.

If a person has the money, they'd be hard pressed to do better than one of these monitors from NEC.

I wonder if there's a 30 inch equivalent from them? It probably costs a mint but I'll bet it's amazing like these are.

I noticed the "Overdrive" option in the test/debug menu on the 2490 and 3090 but I thought that overdrive wasn't really related to input lag, but rather pixel transitions. Also, I have both the 2490 and the 3090 and I have to say the AG coating (sparkly grain) on the 3090 is much stronger. It's not as noticeable if you maintain distance from the LCD but closer up it's very noticeable especially on white.

I noticed the "Overdrive" option in the test/debug menu on the 2490 and 3090 but I thought that overdrive wasn't really related to input lag, but rather pixel transitions. Also, I have both the 2490 and the 3090 and I have to say the AG coating (sparkly grain) on the 3090 is much stronger. It's not as noticeable if you maintain distance from the LCD but closer up it's very noticeable especially on white.

You might be right but I do know that overdrive was recommended for gaming use in any event. :)

I'm probably going to get burned here, but I really wish a manufacturer would try to target the high-end consumer over the professional here. I feel like there is a significant market for high resolution (2560x1600+) monitors of substantial size (30in+) in 16:10 with multiple inputs, and low-input lag, in the $800-$1000 range. I do not need a color spyder or printing color matching. Yes I want IPS and I care about uniformity and viewing angles, but not as much as I do about dead-pixels and glow. NEC has some nice products but they have gone so far to the professional side that the prices are unobtainable.

3007wfp-hc: minimal input lag, but only 1 input. 3008wfp: multiple inputs but too much lag. HD 3065 DVI inputs only. LG w3000bn: 1-input and horrible quality control. u2711: same price, 30% less screen. Obviously there is some insurmountable technical issue here, where it is impossible to add a button that bypasses the scalar for 'game-mode' when its a monitor.

The fact that Dell seems to have a steady stream of these refurbished for $800-$1000 leads me to believe that a profit can be made here, but I guess I must be the only person who is not a professional artist or has multiple display sources... Maybe I just feel bad that I held off buying a 3007wfp-hc for $1000 a few months ago, only to have the 3year old model be $1400 now...

I'm probably going to get burned here, but I really wish a manufacturer would try to target the high-end consumer over the professional here. I feel like there is a significant market for high resolution (2560x1600+) monitors of substantial size (30in+) in 16:10 with multiple inputs, and low-input lag, in the $800-$1000 range. I do not need a color spyder or printing color matching. Yes I want IPS and I care about uniformity and viewing angles, but not as much as I do about dead-pixels and glow. NEC has some nice products but they have gone so far to the professional side that the prices are unobtainable.

3007wfp-hc: minimal input lag, but only 1 input. 3008wfp: multiple inputs but too much lag. HD 3065 DVI inputs only. LG w3000bn: 1-input and horrible quality control. u2711: same price, 30% less screen. Obviously there is some insurmountable technical issue here, where it is impossible to add a button that bypasses the scalar for 'game-mode' when its a monitor.

The fact that Dell seems to have a steady stream of these refurbished for $800-$1000 leads me to believe that a profit can be made here, but I guess I must be the only person who is not a professional artist or has multiple display sources... Maybe I just feel bad that I held off buying a 3007wfp-hc for $1000 a few months ago, only to have the 3year old model be $1400 now...

Everyone seems to forget about the Gateway XHD3000. Low input lag. MASSIVE inputs. Gorgeous PVA screen and great viewing angles. Yes they had some severe issues and gateway service blows, but if you have a good one, such as I do, then youd realize the XHD3000 is the nirvana of 30" displays..

I was under the impression the Gateway had a fair amount of input lag, although my cursory search didnt turn up any hard numbers. Also the xhd3000 appears to have been discontinued without a replacement :(

I dont know why you all like the 3007. I have it and it is sparky. I hate those coating on it. Make things muddy!

My Dell 24" from many years ago look so much better than the 3007.

I own a XHD3000 and recently got a 3008wfp (first of set of 3 - go go eyefinity).

My XHD3000 is dying (green pillar of doooooom comes and goes) =(

Quick Notes:

-I would say the XHD3000's IQ (color/banding/blacks) beats my 3008wfp in everything but backlight uniformity.
-Between the two I only notice input lag on the XHD3000 at non-native resolutions. OFC YMMV
-XHD3000 has that weird inverse ghosting, but it's barely noticable compard to the (FPD2485w which I also owned)
-The text on the XHD3000 plays nicer with Cleartype.

Overall I loved my XHD3000 and am "settling" for the 3008wfp cause the XHD3000 build quality is sub-par and Acer support is balls. Gateway support prior to 2007 was amazing =\

Don't get me wrong, the 3008wfp is an amazing monitor - once you get the damn thing calibrated. Out of the box the Dell is way too oversaturated with a very blue-ish white point.
Took me about 2 hours to get the colors on the two monitors to match (barring gamut). And even then I had to tweak the red gain because it kept calibrating warm (Flesh tones were all wrong). I have no qualms with the IQ other than that.

Of course, these are mostly subjective opinions =)

Edit - For those that care, both the GW and Dell panels are <.8dE Average (Spyder2 + CED)

Last edited:

Have you ever used a 3008WFP? You claim "too much lag" but in reality it's not an issue for most people including myself (and I also have a 3007WFP-HC to compare it to).

And you forgot the Samsung 305t and 305t+ :)

Everyone seems to forget about the Gateway XHD3000. Low input lag. MASSIVE inputs. Gorgeous PVA screen and great viewing angles. Yes they had some severe issues and gateway service blows, but if you have a good one, such as I do, then youd realize the XHD3000 is the nirvana of 30" displays..

It's not that people forget about them, it's that they have such horrible quality that people would rather opt for a display that actually keeps working for more than a year. I don't see how it can be the "nirvana" of 30" displays when there is a very high probability that it will develop problems, and if it does you're SOL because of Gateway's shitty "customer service."

No thanks!

PVA ? No thanks IPS 4 life! :p

It's not that people forget about them, it's that they have such horrible quality that people would rather opt for a display that actually keeps working for more than a year. I don't see how it can be the "nirvana" of 30" displays when there is a very high probability that it will develop problems, and if it does you're SOL because of Gateway's shitty "customer service."

No thanks!

How about working at all? I had one for a day and returned it because it had numerious problems. The worst of which were that the backlight would flicker every so often, it was extreamly bright with no backlight adjustment, massive white glow, and hurrendous lag in anything but native res. And let's not forget the famous blackout issue.

It was the first and last time I will buy anything from Gateway.

Dave

I dont think you have a good one. sooner or later yours will be the same w/a huge pactch of green or other colors veticaly smeared across your screen. its just a matter of time.
I've had mine replaced becuse of that issue only to have the same issue exaclty after 12 month again. it looks like Gateway put some kind of curse on that xhd3000 monitor that will brake after 12 month.

I have owned an Apple Cinema 30" for years, tried out a DELL 3007-HC for couple of days, and now Im sticking with my Samsung 305T+ did a small review awhile back. My main reasons are little to no sparkle anti glare coating on the S-PVA the samsung has, even backlighting across the screen, input lag is bearable and its steady, response time is good, and there isnt no purple or white glowing affect in the corners like some 30" S-IPS panels have, so im really happy with me 305T+, but for photoeditting you really need to calibrate this first.

So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 3007.

Owners, if you downscale the resolution to game in (for better fps in an fps, say) to 1920 x 1200, do you suffer any extra input lag? I'm assuming that since the 3007 has no scaler it will be a non issue.

I'm a little worried about BFBC2 and my lowly 280GTX getting owned by a 2560 x 1600 monster in the short term.

So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 3007.

Owners, if you downscale the resolution to game in (for better fps in an fps, say) to 1920 x 1200, do you suffer any extra input lag? I'm assuming that since the 3007 has no scaler it will be a non issue.

I'm a little worried about BFBC2 and my lowly 280GTX getting owned by a 2560 x 1600 monster in the short term.

The Apple Cinema 30" I owned has the same panel as the DELL 3007wfp, Im pretty sure if you scale down the res you will notice no lag at all, I used to game at 1920 myself it may look a bit blurry not that sharp but there is certainly no lag :)

It depends on the graphic card. Since the monitor is always receiving 2560x1600 regardless of what resolution you are running (since the graphic card upscales it) the monitor wouldn't even be able to know that you are not gamin in native res. Thus it depends on the graphic card and as far as I know any lag introduced by the graphic card scaling is neglible.

Dang - I'd really like to order a new (new model -none of the existing 3 year old models) 30" screen right now.

Hi, I am a display noob and was wondering about the 3008-- if I am correct from what I have gathered, there will only be input lag if the program is running at non-native (non-2560x1600) resolutions?

If someone could please clarify because I only plan to run my games using native (otherwise i will have seen no point in buying a monitor like this since i currently game at 1920x1200).

Thanks

Hi, I am a display noob and was wondering about the 3008-- if I am correct from what I have gathered, there will only be input lag if the program is running at non-native (non-2560x1600) resolutions?

If someone could please clarify because I only plan to run my games using native (otherwise i will have seen no point in buying a monitor like this since i currently game at 1920x1200).

Thanks

No, the lag seems to be constant regardless of resolution.:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033727674&postcount=80

:(

Thanks for taking the time to test out this stuff, though! (and for the quick reply)

I guess i will just wait or try and find a used 3007-- too much cs:source and mw2. I wouldnt care much for input lag if it didnt increase ur chances of getting owned...

THere are at least 2 new 30" LCDs coming out in 2010 - Eizo CG303W and Nec PA301W

The problem with NEC is that they price themselves out of everything but the professional market with their good panels. Right now the 3007WFP/3007WFP-HC are the only 30" monitors I'd buy. That's due to cost and low input lag.

The problem with NEC is that they price themselves out of everything but the professional market with their good panels. Right now the 3007WFP/3007WFP-HC are the only 30" monitors I'd buy. That's due to cost and low input lag.

Even so, I'm keeping my eye on the new NEC panel.

This is a very slow process going from the 3008wfp to a new model.

My 3007 just developed a line of about 1000 dead pixels. Seriously the line is about 12" long

Hope this is just an anomaly and it doesn't happen to you guys.

There is little information on the warranty of the 3007 on the Dell web site. The 3008 apparently has a 3 year warrany. I am going to talk to Dell about this tonight but the monitor is almost 2 years old.

3007 was 3 years.

Back