Best 6600gt brand card?

b18turbo

Limp Gawd
I am wanting to spend about $200 so I have decided on the 6600gt. Now I am uncertain which brand of card to go with? I was thinking MSI or XFX but really don't know what is different between manufacturers. My computer is a ASUS A8v, AMD 64 3200+, 512 corsair xms platinum (will be adding another stick shortly) and a radeon 7500. And I need to stay AGP besause of the motherboard.

My PS is a 400 watt Powerlink, I have heard it is not the best brand but it is rated at decent power. Do you think it is okay or does it need replaced?

Also, my brother has built the same computer as me (ram, motherboard, and processor) with a radeon 9800pro. Will this 6600gt outperform his card? Once I get the 6600gt card I will post a comparison.

I am talking any manufacturer, not just the two I mentioned. Besides the ovcd BFG's. Newegg sells, jaton, rosewill, apollo, aopen, evga, xfx, msi, chaintech, gigabyte, leadtek , albratron.

Isn't the BFG $50 more than the others? If I wanted to spend that much I would get the 6800nu but I am wanting to stay closer to $200.

Ok, how come every day I see a new "Which 6600GT?" thread?

Theres like7 more of them. Could you just try loooking at one fo them?

BFG/EVGA>Leadtek>XFX>MSI

Im building a comp for a friend and im buying evga for him. Ill tell you what I think of it.

I like my BFG, it was 250 at frys, but kicks ass, if you play at 1024-1152 with 4X aa and 8Xaf.
I had to rma first card, but 2nd card is working good, and I have it overclocked to 570/ 1156 100% stable.
doom 3 demo1 is 35fps with 16XAF(usally play with 8x, but I was testing something) 4X aa at 1024 with all optimizations off.
cpu is 2500+@ 3200, 512DDR @ 333mhz cas 2,2,2,11.

It would seem logical to go with the ASUS GT 6600 Card. That is what I went with, however - The Direct3d seems to have messed up. Sending it back, maybe the actual graphics card is faulty.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! USE THE GODDAMN SEARCH TOOL, THAT"S WHAT IT IS THERE FOR!!! SERIOUSLY, someone should put a sticky regarding the 6600gt...PLEASE!!!

Z(+)DIAC said:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! USE THE GODDAMN SEARCH TOOL, THAT"S WHAT IT IS THERE FOR!!! SERIOUSLY, someone should put a sticky regarding the 6600gt...PLEASE!!!

He loves new threads about 6600GT's :). I get to read a new one everyday as well but I always get a laugh when you post. I can just imagine you when you see that someone has started another thread that has been posted like a billion times it is priceless.

Haha, that I do :) I can't count how many times I have copied and pasted my rating of 6600gt cards..seriously it's getting ridiculous. I don't think anyone uses search anymore...and it's so efficient!

I only have experience with one brand of 6600GT. eVGA. It let me OC it to 597/1200 with no mods/tweaks other than adding Coolbits to the registry. So far I have been very impressed with it.

I was using the eVGA card. It ran very well, with only 8 piplines. I would suggest eVGA, just for the "step-up" program they have (you can return your card before 90 days and only pay the difference of the two cards.) I just did that (getting the 6800 from eVGA). All in all, great card, had no problems with it.

Bought a BFG 6600GT OC. Great card and it's super quiet, something that is a must being a shuttle owner. BTW I'm idling at 55c, is that normal?

wipedout said:
Bought a BFG 6600GT OC. Great card and it's super quiet, something that is a must being a shuttle owner. BTW I'm idling at 55c, is that normal?

for a shuttle, yes.

I purchased an Aopen 6600gt a few weeks ago. It kept freezing in 3D games (including Mark03). Tried a ton of drivers and it never worked. I RMA'd it last week and I think Aopen lost it because it hasnt registered as showing up and their reps dont know what to tell me.

Nvidia shipped out a bunch of 6600gt cards with bad GPU's... so pretty much if you just purchased one then you are most likely going to end up RMAing it. If you havent had to or dont have to... feel very lucky because the numbers of people i have read that have complained about this card is astounding.

BFG has the best customer service from what I have heard. You are paying more money.. but they are a reliable company, its well worth it if their phone service isnt shipped over to india.

do some mad research in the company forums before you buy.

well whatever you do, DO NOT buy a XFX brand 6600 card i purchased one and after i did i started reading in various forums that many have gotten bad cards , i got mine yesterday and guess what it's DOA want to know why here i'll show you
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

How did this pass QA i have no clue, i saw it and i wasn't even looking for a defect

now i worked for motorola a few years back and these chips are placed on the board by the means of robotics, its one huge board with a dozen or so uncut pcb's then they pass them through a oven so the chips are wielded into place, now the thing is that if this chip was placed this way it's a matter of calibration on the robotic arm so all the cards on that board had the same defect with that one chip, once the board is done and all major circuits are wielded in place ( by hand, well back then it was) it goes to QA (which at that time was a visual and frequency inspection) and if one board is found with a defect like this the whole batch is recalled (well at least it was at motorola), my point is, there QA isn't too good

spyderz said:
well whatever you do, DO NOT buy a XFX brand 6600 card i purchased one and after i did i started reading in various forums that many have gotten bad cards , i got mine yesterday and guess what it's DOA want to know why here i'll show you
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

How did this pass QA i have no clue, i saw it and i wasn't even looking for a defect

point proven here

b18turbo said:
I am talking any manufacturer, not just the two I mentioned. Besides the ovcd BFG's. Newegg sells, jaton, rosewill, apollo, aopen, evga, xfx, msi, chaintech, gigabyte, leadtek , albratron.
O I thought you meant just the brands you listed. My bad. I would go BFG.

MetalX said:
Well there's 11 others, not a bad resource for someone in the 6600GT market. :cool:
Leaving about the BFG cards(for any nvidia product) is unjust.
Since they're king ;)

Back