Best A64 overclocking motherboard

killboy

Weaksauce
I'm probably going to get a NewCastle A64 3200+ and I want to overclock the crap out of it.

I currently have Samsung DDR 400 ram, but I might change that if needed.

I'm looking for the best overclocking board that's out now because I need to replace my setup within 1 week (so don't say to wait for the DFIII).

I'm looking for a working AGP/PCI lock, and if I could find a way to overclock my CPU and keep my ram running at 400mhz (so a ram:fsb ratio option) that would be great too. I'd love to make my ram run at 500mhz, but i don't think it will go over 410 even if i give it 2.8 volts and loose timings.

In case anyone's wondering, i'm looking at the Abit K8V PRO since ... i like abit, it apparently has a working lock with an unseen bios (where could i get it?) and kyle proved that it could overclock well.

Thanks!

All the NForce 3 boards have a working AGP/PCI lock. I'm using a MSI K8N Neo Platinum right now and I'm cranking away at 10 x 230 with 1:1 memory. The AGP is at 67 and the PCI is at 33Mhz. :)

all of the nf3 has the locks, but the 150 chipsets suck w/ the pci/agp locks

get only the nf3 250gb or ultra

Abit KV8 Pro, hands down. Only $104, and alot of people have been able to get 400mhz boosts on the 3000+, which is the same chip just less cache than the 3200+.

abit has been known over the decade build shoddy boards. they dont make any of their own motherboard components and they have a high failure rate. spend the extra $20 and get the MSI k8n plat.

Most of the nforce3-250 boards overclock very similar. I personally have been pleased with both of my VNF3-250's I've owned. The first with my old CO A64 3000+ overclocked to 2.5ghz stable (250x10, 1:1). That motherboard/cpu combo capped at HTT 275. My new VNF3-250 and 3200+ are looking even more promising. Have not foooled much, but already got the HTT up to 340 with 5:6 memory divider (memory limited) and ran up to 320x8 for 2560mhz at only 1.62v. Did not stability test it yet, only did sandra cpu tests and quick superpi 1M run. Once I get my watercooling hooked back up and my 9800 PRO back I'll test more. Aiming for 2.65-2.7ghz hopefully.

Alright, so as the recommended boards so far...

Chaintech VNF3
MSI neo with the nforce 3 250gb chipset
Abit KT8 pro

Now I can't get chaintech motherboards, don't have a supplier for them..
I hate MSI, they are usually crappy overclockers i find (i had 2 of them), and i had ram conflicts with MSI.
Ummm, maybe i'll look to see if Asus makes a decent nforce 3 250 board

By the way, the board doesn't have to be a budget board, I just want the highest overclock.

jhatfie said:
Aiming for 2.65-2.7ghz hopefully.

Is that with a newcastle core? I've already got water cooling and can only hit 2.42Ghz on my Clawhammer 3000+. I guess CG stepping is the way to go.

BTW: Chaintech VNF3-250. The AGP lock make al the difference. I could only get 2.15Ghz stable on my MSI K8T800. nf3 kicks butt.

Epox make a great board also. I forget the name but to a search on newegg or somthin' and you'll find it.

funbun said:
Is that with a newcastle core? I've already got water cooling and can only hit 2.42Ghz on my Clawhammer 3000+. I guess CG stepping is the way to go.
My CO (nuetered clawhammer) 3000+ does 2.5ghz stable with watercooling, but needs 1.76v to do so. Anything over 2.4ghz is a good overclock for a CO 3000+. My new 3200+ is a CG. I am anxious to see what it can do with more voltage and good cooling.

Gorebag said:
abit has been known over the decade build shoddy boards. they dont make any of their own motherboard components and they have a high failure rate. spend the extra $20 and get the MSI k8n plat.

i do not believe this is true

ive gotten my MSI K8N to 9.5x250 fsb 1:1(3200+ CG) so far, but i wish the vcore adjustments were better. I believe they are based off percentages of the original vcore and i wish it was in smaller increments

Sooo 2 people are saying chaintech's are the best?

This was wayyy easier with Athlon XP chips, everyone pretty much agreed on the Abit nf7 and the DFI being the best. Now i'm not trying to start any dicussions on those boards, but seriously, there has to be some people here that have gotten good overclocks with crazy boards.

I think i'll go see what OPPainter uses (did i even spell his name right?)

well, i am using the abit kv8 pro rev1.0 and it oc's great. unfortunately i still have crappy ddr333 ram but was able to get a 240mhz fsb with a 10x multiplier (2400mhz cpu) with the ram running at 6:5. wish i had better ram, think i could get a bit more out of it.

also the kv8 pro rev1.0 dont always come with a working agp/pci bus lock. but i was able to find the beta bios release 15 that was able to fix my problem with the bus lock. my last complaint is that the cmos reset jumper for the kv8 pro is 'right' underneath my video card. i was able to get to it with a pair of needle nose plyers and a flashlight without needing to take the video card out even with the arctic cooler on my video card so it was not too much of a problem.

WinXP Pro SP1 (DX 9.0c)
Abit KV8 Pro - Athlon64 3000+ Clawhammer (Stepping: CG) (Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu)
Corsair 2x512mb DDR333 2.5-3-3-8

Back