Best AGP video card to pair with a 2.8ghx P4?

Garage81

Mac Daddy
I need a link to newegg or somewhere I can buy it.

It's for a shuttle, so it cant take up 2 slots, etc. Whats the best/cost effective AGP video card I can get for this thing?

Well if your looking for a good deal as well id say look at the 6600gt's and 6800gt or ultra's.

please read my entire question :)

It's for a shuttle, so it cant take up 2 slots, etc. Whats the best/cost effective AGP video card I can get for this thing?

Garage81 said:
please read my entire question :)

The X800XT is single slot. There is also the X800GTO...

i was thinking a vanilla 6600. lemme go look up the 6800gs, and see if theres an AGP flavor.

Garage81 said:
i was thinking a vanilla 6600. lemme go look up the 6800gs, and see if theres an AGP flavor.

The 6800GS does come in agp format, using the same core as the 6800GT/Ultra.

Overclocked a little it will perform around the same as a 6800GT, and unlocked (12 pipe card, but since it's the same GT/Ultra core, there is an extra quad and vertex shader) It'll be like an ultra.

You should be able to find them around $190-$200

i'd say the 7800GS isn't worth the money but if you have the money then by all means max out your agp slot. If how much you're spending is an issue then the 6800GS is by far the best value you can get. It WAS $169 USD or something like that from tigerdirect.com

I've been on the hunt for a 6800GS AGP card for just over a week now, and haven't come up with much. The BFG one on Newegg was supposed to be back in stock last Monday but has yet to show up [and was just this minute removed from the website :(]

I'm abit reluctant to order the PNY one for $179 due to my PNY 5200 being a load of garbage, but it seems to be my only option right now without leaving my vendor/price comfort zone.

I was hoping someone here could help me out with this dillemia. Is the PNY card any good? Or should I just keep looking out for an eVGA/BFG/etc?

Try not to buy pny....

Wait for an evga or bfg, mines a bfg and it unlocked and overclocked.

I went from a 9800pro to a x800xl from newegg just last week it is a gecube. Man this card kicks my 9800's ass I see way more detail and I guess eveything was slow ecause now it feels like it's in fast forward ( FEAR, Q4, NFS MW) Well worth it for 180.00

im mostly a RTS gamer, war3, probably the new Rise of Legends, maybe AoE3, etc.

i dont need anything too crazy, i dont wanna up my cpu (p4 2.8). i would like to play the RTS games at 1600x1200 with everything maxed tho.

I would rather go nVidia than ATI, but I did own a 9800pro for a very long time and was very satisfied with it.

again, if anyone recommends a card, if you can find it for sale, and get me a link, thatd be awesome. its hard to find these cards, im looking at zipzoomfly, newegg, etc.

I am in the same boat I had to sell a 850pro i bought on here because it was dual slot. I had an 6600 now I sold that to a buddy and I am back to 5900fx. I dont really card what brand of card but would also appreciate suggestions. Are there any alternatives besides 6800/7800gs?

ServerKing said:
I am in the same boat I had to sell a 850pro i bought on here because it was dual slot. I had an 6600 now I sold that to a buddy and I am back to 5900fx. I dont really card what brand of card but would also appreciate suggestions. Are there any alternatives besides 6800/7800gs?
X800XT or XL :p

my X800XL only takes up one slot. I now have an extra pci slot to fill lol. I think I am done "upgrading" this computer. I am just going to save until next year so I get vista DX10 and whatever else comes out by then.

This is probably the best AGP card on the market. I just bought an X800GTO simply because I was unable to justify spending that much on an AGP card. If I am going to spend $300 or more, it will be PCI-E.

Back