Best Air Cooling for an AMD64 3000 Winchester?

|MaguS|

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got one and was wondering what the best Air Cooling would be for one, I plan to OC it but don't want an airport in my room. Whats a good HSF? I was thinking about the Silent Boost K8 or an XP-90 but don't know what fan to get with it.

Any info would be recommened. Thanks in advance!

|MaguS| said:
Just got one and was wondering what the best Air Cooling would be for one, I plan to OC it but don't want an airport in my room. Whats a good HSF? I was thinking about the Silent Boost K8 or an XP-90 but don't know what fan to get with it.

Any info would be recommened. Thanks in advance!

SilentBoost K8 is an awesome cooler - the slots in the sides of the fan really do help make it quieter, it's not a marketing gimmick. You can feel the fan pulling in from the side as well as the top then blowing down on the heatsink. If your not going to OC, SilentBoost is a great quiet value. Also, it is a pleasure to install, especially compared to the Socket A clip on days. The rotating locking mechanism on SilentBoost is simplistic genius, I just can't come up with enough superlatives to really describe how easy it was.

However, there's not nearly enough copper surface area on SilentBoost for OC'ing adventures. XP-90, paired with a quality fan (www.silentpcreview.com has a lot of data on quiet cooling gear) is held among the very best available in air cooling, and won't let you down, even when your vCore and clock speed go way up.

I know teh XP-120 wont fit without modifications, Im using the MSI K8N Neo2.

I got a xp-90 for my 3000+ winchester, it keeps my cpu at 95F under a load, and thats at 2.6ghz/1.65volts. Its huge! I was thinking about getting a xp-120 but i would have had to get a 120mm fan to use it and i already had a 80mm 5000rpm fan. I think its overkill honestly it doesn't ever get hot anyways.

Zalman 7000alcu I have my A64 3200 running at 2500 mhz it runs 33 degrees idle and 43 under load. My brother got the XP120 and it runs 2 degrees hotter under load.

As many of us have said *cough*, yes. When the Xp120 doenst fit and you have the cash, Xp90 is the only obvious result. The Xp120 is better, but not by an incredible amount. As for overclockability, it will differ for each processor.

DFranch said:
Zalman 7000alcu I have my A64 3200 running at 2500 mhz it runs 33 degrees idle and 43 under load. My brother got the XP120 and it runs 2 degrees hotter under load.
im sure all off his compentants case cooling and thermal paste along with same stepping as your computer now is it?

I would go for the Zalman cooler. On my previous system (AMD64 3000+ K8N Neo Platnium - socket 754) I had installed a TT K8 cooler which performed decently, however after installing the Zalman I was quite pleased with the results. Knocked temperatures down a few degrees. The only problem I find about the Zalman cooler design is trying to clean them. I remember when dust accumulated, you couldn't just unscrew the fan (without removing the actual heatsink for the CPU) to remove the dust. But its a good performing cooler, and looks pretty sweet as well. The new blue LED Zalman looks quite impressive aswell - but may not go well with other colour schemes in your system.

The Zalman is NOT an overclocking cooler.....

My XP-90 with a 92mm Tornado keeps my 3000+ WInchester around 40c Load temps... THats with the fan about 50% and clocked around 2.7Ghz......

The XP-90 is actually a better cooler than the 120... THe 120 was first, and the 90 has a few tweaks... Mainly the abilty to mount either direction on the motherboard with no ill effects.... Allows you to hang the cooler over the RAM and give that some cooling as well.

Impaqt said:

My XP-90 with a 92mm Tornado keeps my 3000+ WInchester around 40c Load temps... THats with the fan about 50% and clocked around 2.7Ghz......

The XP-90 is actually a better cooler than the 120... THe 120 was first, and the 90 has a few tweaks... Mainly the abilty to mount either direction on the motherboard with no ill effects.... Allows you to hang the cooler over the RAM and give that some cooling as well.
damn man wat are running in ur comp?? i get lik 40C load on my 3000+ winchester at 2.6ghz on stock cooling

Impaqt said:
It may not be bleeding edge, but I don't think a 500 MHZ overclock at 43c is too bad for a cooler as quiet as the Zalman. I'm sure it can go higher I just have not tried. You could always go for the all copper version as well.

Nizmatik said:
The only problem I find about the Zalman cooler design is trying to clean them. I remember when dust accumulated, you couldn't just unscrew the fan (without removing the actual heatsink for the CPU) to remove the dust.
You are right. every few months I use a can of compressed air to clean the dust off. It is a slight nuisance, but not a big deal really.

N H O said:
damn man wat are running in ur comp?? i get lik 40C load on my 3000+ winchester at 2.6ghz on stock cooling
\

Congratulations... You officially have the coolest running A64-3000+ CPU ever produced.

What thermal sensor/Probe are yopu running? Software reading are horribly innacurate.

I've heard very good things about Arctic Cooling's Freezer 64 and have used their lga775 Freezer 7 before and was very impressed with the results. The Freezer 64 cools about as well as the XP-90, is cheaper, and is SILENT. I'd definitely recommend this over an XP-90 or XP-120 solution. Here's a review link where they compare the Freezer 64 to the XP-90:

http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=arcticcf64

Freezer 64 load temps in this review with a 3000+ winchester @ 2.7 w/1.7V were 47.9 compared to 44.5 for the XP-90. That's only ~3C difference for a lot less noise. Not only that but the Freezer 64 is $16 cheaper on newegg not to mention that doesn't include the cost of buying a decent fan to cool the XP-90.

XP-90 or XP-120... it's not that you get better temps, it's just that you can't overload one of these things! 2V on a CPU and getting 113 F temps is EXCELLENT

Back