Best Air CPU Cooler to fit a Wavemaster

Rajveer

Limp Gawd
Hi guys. I obtained a cheap Pentium D 945 which I intend to overclock as much as I can to hold me off until the Intel pricedrop. I currently am using an XP-90C and a Wavemaster case: the cooler does a good job but I won't start intense overclocking until next week and am wondering if any of the new heatsinks that will fit the Wavemaster will do a much better cooling job? Any recommended top models? What are you using/what's the best cooler that will fit a Wavemaster?

EDIT: I'd like to use a 120mm fan, and my mobo is the Abit AW8-MAX if it helps.

I suggest getting something like the Thermalright SI-128, since it has a pretty low profile and cools very well. Most tower heatsinks probably wouldn't fit too well inside your case. However, the 80mm intake and exhaust fans might limit how low you can get your temps.

I read somewhere that the XP-120 has better, or similar, cooling to the si-120, and that the XP-90c beats the 120 due to it being copper. Is this true? I've been considering getting a new case so I can get a tower heatsink like the Ultra-120, but I'm not sure the price justifies it and I love my Wavemaster and it's size!

It's the opposite. Even with its copper construction, the XP-90C is still inferior to the XP-120. The SI-120 is an improved version of the XP-120, which is raised higher to avoid mobo clearance issues. The SI-128 is further improved, and has more, tighter-spaced fins, along with larger heatpipes. The SI-128 is the best out of the bunch.

It would actually be a good idea to switch cases. As beautiful as the Wavemaster is(it's my favourite case ever), in terms of design it's simply inferior compared to what's out there now, and it can't keep up in terms of cooling.

Back