best airflow for a w/c setup?

Tilde84

Limp Gawd
I am working out the best route for my case fans so I don't sacrifice airflow after my w/c is installed. I have a PC-7B and the rad (double 120mm) will be mounted inside the top of the case. I was thinking of having the 2 120mm on the rad blowing air outside the case and then having a third 120mm blowing out the rear. I also have a Enermax Liberty with yet another 120mm. What do you guys think am I on the right track or is there a better idea. Thanks :) :)

You should always have the coolest possible air going through the rad... Best bet is to use a pull config and draw in air from outside the case.

For whatever reason the best config seem to be pulling air through the rad (which is mounted externally). I think the reason is that my fans have a dead spot in the middle when pushing, but doesn't seem to be the case when pulling. Doesn't make any scientific sense to me either :confused:

ok, i can do that. If I just flip the fans and pull air through the rad, will the rear 120mm and the 120mm on my PSU be enough exhaust?

edit: the rad will be mounted near the top 5.25 bay, internally. sorry if that wasn't clear

You have to have air entering in from the bottom of the case and exiting out either through the PSU or a radiator. Hot air rises or pools depending on your particular setup. That is why I have a radiator in the top of my box. I also have case fans in the front bottom. There are lot's of items in the case that create heat so in essence you need to have the standard ATX air flow or your screwed.

Back