Best AMD CPU/RAM to pair with a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3?

Is there a comparable asus board to the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H worth looking at?

Last edited:
Not a bad option to do so. I would have, as I've had phenomenal luck with GB in the past. The Z77 Sabertooth I have is my first Asus and I got it because of the factory 5 year warranty since I go about that long between upgrades.

Not a bad option to do so. I would have, as I've had phenomenal luck with GB in the past. The Z77 Sabertooth I have is my first Asus and I got it because of the factory 5 year warranty since I go about that long between upgrades.

Yeah me too. I've never had a problem with gigabyte and the board that is giving me problems is an asus board, but this is the first one I've issues with.

Asus is my preferred brand primarily because they always seem to survive the HardOCP's inhuman way of torturing motherboards when they test them. Since they abuse mobos much much worse than I ever would and come out smelling like a rose, I figure theyll be just dandy for me.

Gigabyte always seem to do pretty well with them too. Only real bitching I hear about them is little quirks with the BIOS or some other feature and not really a problem with the board's stability.

Honestly though, I think any from the big 3 (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte) will be solid. Id buy from any of them without any reservations.

My problem with Gigabyte is that they change the board revisions and don't tell you, so you never know which board you're going to get when you order. Asus will either change the name of the board or put a v. 2 in the name of it.

can't go wrong with G.Skill/Corsair RAM tho preferably 1600 @1.5v. lots of people are praising the samsung low voltage RAM (1.35v) tho i've had no experience with it.

I'm using 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 which runs @1.25v. Stuff has been rock solid since I bought it back in December.

Oh I thought the lower voltage would underclock them? What if I raised the voltages to 1.5v, would that overclock them?

No, not neccessarily. The frequency and the voltage are controlled independently of each other, either set automatically by SPD/XMP, or set manually by the user.

No, not neccessarily. The frequency and the voltage are controlled independently of each other, either set automatically by SPD/XMP, or set manually by the user.

Hmm ok

What about Kingston hyperx 1.65v memory?

Also go for lowest CAS rating, right?

Hmm ok

What about Kingston hyperx 1.65v memory?

Also go for lowest CAS rating, right?

Definitely stick with 1.5V or lower, as higher voltage may stress the IMC and cause it to fail, and I'm not sure if Intel will warranty the CPU in that circumstance.

Memory frequency and CAS timings don't matter much at all since the IMC is so efficient with the 1155 processors. Also, it's pretty typical to find a majority of modules rated at CAS 9-9-9-24 at either 1333 or 1600 speeds.

Definitely stick with 1.5V or lower, as higher voltage may stress the IMC and cause it to fail, and I'm not sure if Intel will warranty the CPU in that circumstance.

Memory frequency and CAS timings don't matter much at all since the IMC is so efficient with the 1155 processors. Also, it's pretty typical to find a majority of modules rated at CAS 9-9-9-24 at either 1333 or 1600 speeds.

Ah ok, I see, thanks. Just wondering because I'm checking out all different brands of RAM & ratings and stuff.

A lot of people like G. Skill but they say the heatsinks are cheap. Corsair users complain of dead sticks, etc. I just want to make sure I get some good low profile sticks as I plan on adding an after market CPU heatsink not long after I get the parts.

Don't worry about heatsinks, as running modules at their rated frequency and voltage aren't going to cook them at all. I have four "naked" 4GB modules in my system and there is zero problems with heat.

Hmmm

I'm looking for low profile ram, 8GB (2x4) 1.5v, preferred CAS latency 8 but can't find any without huge heatsinks. Brand is not important as long as the reviews are good on it. I was going to pick up Mushkin enhanced but they are out of stock on newegg.

Suggestions?

Hey could I use crucial ballistix 1866mhz 1.5v sticks?

They seem to perform much better than the corsair vengeance 1600 MHz I was looking at

Yes, but you won't notice any difference in performance under real-world use. Using unrealistic synthetic benchmarks, the difference will be excessively minute. Not worth paying the extra for higher frequency memory.

Yes, but you won't notice any difference in performance under real-world use. Using unrealistic synthetic benchmarks, the difference will be excessively minute. Not worth paying the extra for higher frequency memory.

Ok cool. I was just wondering because when Im looking at reviews, the corsair was reviewed as 'average' speed, while the crucial's speed was 'excessive' and gave about a 10% real world difference in gaming. It's only about a 6$ difference though so I might take a closer look at them.

Back