Best Anti-Piracy PSA Ever

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm a fan of Ricky Gervais and stuff like this anti-piracy PSA is just one of the reasons why. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact such a lighthearted, tongue-in-cheek approach to piracy will have.

I'll give that a solid 9.
First time they attempted not to intimidate the viewer in any way. You remember good things longer. Smart. Wow, Ricky is going for that anti-anti piracy dollar, yeah, that's a good market ;)

Not bad. I think it worked for Louis CK when he did something similar a while back. Of course, his stuff is self produced and it's only $5.

It's definitely not intimidating (which makes the RIAA/MPAA look like mafia fucks) and stays in your mind. Positive, funny, and good taste.

It's that honey vs. vinegar thing. I think it'll work.

This a much better way to get the point across as opposed to the old RIAA/MPAA cops are going to catch you and you will spend years in jail getting railed ads.

Most pirates seem to forget its artists who create the work and should profit.

I don't know what you're all hearing. I hear "please pirate cause I make millions".

That's kind of the joke. :)

Much better than:

This a much better way to get the point across as opposed to the old RIAA/MPAA cops are going to catch you and you will spend years in jail getting railed ads.

Those ads. Pirate, and you're a criminal POS that needs to rot in jail and pay a ton of fines and the FBI is going to come get you.

It's either "Please don't pirate so I can get paid for what I do" or "Don't pirate or we will fuck you in the ass, dry you fucking piece of shit. Give us our money, we'll make sure we pay the artist a bit, too, you fucking pricks!".

All the MPAA anti-piracy stuff made me dislike the film industry as a whole. They come off as greedy motherfuckers that don't care about the art, only the payout. There are some like that, but others do it because they enjoy it. Ricky Gervais enjoys it, and he's doing anti-piracy right. Piracy is going to happen. Taking his approach just makes those of us that don't pirate look at the industry in a more positive way rather than a negative way.

For me, anyway. Others may think completely differently.

kind of wonder if pink floyd was younger how they would of handled this stuff... seems like a perfect chance for 60s/70s music to stick it to the man since most of them were bankrupt/getting paid peanuts and taxes at 90%+ higher in the UK.

While I enjoy this much better than the other anti-piracy stuff, I don't think it will have much of an impact.

Aside from the light hearted tone, I like the fact that they advertise a legal alternative download service.

While I enjoy this much better than the other anti-piracy stuff, I don't think it will have much of an impact.

It will have no impact. Joe public is stupid, its true, but joe public also knows that most pirated stuff is not something anyone was going to pay to see anyway. I have seen a ton of pirated material over the years, and with the exception of like Black Hawk Down or Slayer albums, i just wouldnt ever buy the material anyway. Piracy is going to happen, and pirates are going to save money, but the industry artists producers etc. ARE NOT LOSING MONEY ON EVERY SINGLE PIRATED COPY!!! They want you to think they are, but honestly, who the hell is going to buy the entire set of DVD's of Dexter or Game Of Thrones who pirates them? Its not someone who pirates, its only fans of the series. Those are the people who WILL buy the material because they truly enjoy them. The rest of the people are more like watercooler watchers who want to talk about it at work, then 2 months later have to have something else to talk about and will never watch them again.

Once you get it through your head that pirates weren't going to pay for your material anyway, its not a loss of revenue. Perhaps, PERHAPS, 10% of money is lost, but its certainly no higher than that. So this AD does nothing for me, but i cant say i wouldnt do the same in his position for a few extra bucks.

I don't agree with the better quality bit.

I don't agree with the better quality bit.

You mean you don't enjoy the quality of people chewing, stepping in barf and sitting in people's old farts?

Hmmf. Better complain to management at the cineplex. I'm sure that a free $20 popcorn will make you feel better.

Offer me a reasonably priced download that's not encumbered. Can't pause the movie theater. Not jumping through your drm hoops. My br player went into the trash.

Reactions: bos
like this
Offer me a reasonably priced download that's not encumbered. Can't pause the movie theater. Not jumping through your drm hoops. My br player went into the trash.
Right, stop treating customers like they're out to steal your movie. And stop with all the unskippable logos, ads, and copyright warnings. The ones who are out to steal your stuff doesn't give a crap, so don't offend legitimate customers with it. Also stop using proprietary platforms, use a common openly available format. The more devices can play your content the better. Your only hope in beating piracy is if you make legal access easier to the content than it is trough illegal sources.

Back