Best Bang for Buck 2.1 Speaker System?

As I said, cheap junk. That looks like something that is made to appeal to the Xbox generation for sure.

Are you kidding? So, the way that something looks justifies your uneducated remarks? Just because something costs more does not mean that it sounds any better. Not to mention that I can't believe you're defending some computer speakers with the amplifier in the bass box over discrete parts.

I wouldn't trust Head-Fi if I were buying some cans. Anyhow, I haven't heard them but as I said the tech specs are less than brilliant.

There are some good ClassD amps out there but they are not selling for less than forty bucks. Look up Onkyo A-9555 and Red Wine Audio for good examples of what I am talking about. They will cost you a lot more than forty bucks.

milkweg said:
As I said, cheap junk. That looks like something that is made to appeal to the Xbox generation for sure.

I started this thread to ask for opinions, which I did receive (Thanks to all who replied). Now I have done my own research, and it seems you have not. The T-amp is considered by many to be one of the best price to performance amps. While it may be cheaply designed, and may look like something "geared towards the xbox generation", even elitist audiophiles notorious for overspending on power cables, interconnects, and other gimmicky "upgrades" have praised the T-Amp for its sound.

Bottom line is, regardless of how good the T-amp really is, please don't post in response to my questions unless you really have a good idea of what the product sounds like. I'm taking your positive comments on the Klipsch into consideration, but please don't treat the opinions of others with disrespect. You can comment on others' opinions without sounding rude and ignorant.

I already have the promedia 2.1s and they are still within their return date. Does the insignia/sonic amp combo far outshine what I already have?

They don't give you any of the important specs, most likely because they are so abysmal you wouldn't want to buy them.

Actually, they are good speakers for the price. AVSForum likes them a lot for the price. They would be a good choice here and they will kill any computer speakers. Monkey, unless all you care about is the amount of bass, then return your Klipsch set. Though adding a subwoofer that's better than the Klipsch one won't cost a ton either.

I really think I would miss the subwoofer. If I stuck with my $110 pro media 2.1s, would the price per performance ratio be like going with bose vs the $90 insignia/amp combo?

I really think I would miss the subwoofer. If I stuck with my $110 pro media 2.1s, would the price per performance ratio be like going with bose vs the $90 insignia/amp combo?

Keep them. Anyone bitching about them probably had them on a crap video card. You can turn down the sub. I have the 2.1 Pro Media with an X-Fi platinum and they sound spectacular. Better than anything Bose could come up with. Hell, the sensitivity is 106dB and less than 1% THD. As long as you have a decent sound card they are worth every damn cent. This other stuff will sound like crap compared.

If you already have the Klipsches then I'd just stick with them. However, if one didn't have the Klipsch's already I'd go the custom setup route.

Are you kidding? So, the way that something looks justifies your uneducated remarks? Just because something costs more does not mean that it sounds any better. Not to mention that I can't believe you're defending some computer speakers with the amplifier in the bass box over discrete parts.

Uh, ClassD amps is what they use in subwoofer amps because they are more efficient and cheaper to build.

You can comment on others' opinions without sounding rude and ignorant.

I know all about T amps. True, I have never heard one but have already read everything posted in this thread about them long ago. If T amps are so good then all the audiophile companies would jump on the design because they are dirt cheap to make which means more profit to them. They have their applications but a battery powered plastic box is junk and will never sound better than a decent ClassA amp. And my posting style is my business and not yours. This ain't communist China. Well, until a mod says it is.

If you already have the Klipsches then I'd just stick with them. However, if one didn't have the Klipsch's already I'd go the custom setup route.

I'd agree. Granted you will spend more but you will have better sound quality especially if you're wanting 5.1. I've never seen a good integrated setup.

That's not new so is invalid. Still waiting to see these killer amp/speaker combos for $100.00.

Don't be a jackass. You know that any old receiver + any old speakers will sound better than the klipsch 2.1. why get a flatulent sub woofer and some crap little nothing speakers? Give me the two old Boston Acoustic shielded monitors speakers I got for $20 and the $75 Pioneer vsx 515 I got used on head-fi and 99/100 ppl will choose my setup.

You are 1 in a 100 then.

Sorry man but it is true. I did it so anyone can.

I know all about T amps. True, I have never heard one but have already read everything posted in this thread about them long ago. If T amps are so good then all the audiophile companies would jump on the design because they are dirt cheap to make which means more profit to them. They have their applications but a battery powered plastic box is junk and will never sound better than a decent ClassA amp. And my posting style is my business and not yours. This ain't communist China. Well, until a mod says it is.

T amps are not dirt cheap to make. They require a lot more engineering because of the high frequency signals. And you admit you've never heard one. Just shut up. Seriously. We're all immune to your BS here.

So my klipsch setup is crap compared to the $30 amp on buy.com and the $70 insignias, or is this assuming I will upgrade to a better 5.1 amp with a subwoofer later?

Again, my decision will boil down to which provides a better cost: performance. If it's a marginal $50 difference, I don't think it will be worth my time. However, if the insignias perform like $200 speakers and the amp performs likes it's worth $100, then please slap me for even buying the promedias in the first place.

I apologize for pestering this thread with the same question, it's just that there's a lot of vehement opinions -that boarder on fanboyism- being attached to seemingly useful info.

So my klipsch setup is crap compared to the $30 amp on buy.com and the $70 insignias, or is this assuming I will upgrade to a better 5.1 amp with a subwoofer later?

Again, my decision will boil down to which provides a better cost: performance. If it's a marginal $50 difference, I don't think it will be worth my time. However, if the insignias perform like $200 speakers and the amp performs likes it's worth $100, then please slap me for even buying the promedias in the first place.

I apologize for pestering this thread with the same question, it's just that there's a lot of vehement opinions -that boarder on fanboyism- being attached to seemingly useful info.

From the 6moons review:
The proof is in the listening, however. And there the Sonic Impact T-amp is an absolutely brilliant piece of equipment that revolutionizes sound quality performance at a true budget price. Prior to the T-amp, a great-sounding $39 amplifier was unheard of. That makes the Sonic Impact unparalleled. Heck, even for $390, it would be unparalleled - it's simply a really great little amplifier. The li'l Sonic Impact T-rex just took a big bite out of High-End's pudgy fanny.

So yeah, no need to worry about the Sonic T Amp not being worth waaaay above what you pay.

For speakers, the Insignia's certainly wouldn't be put to shame by the average $200 speaker (except the X-LS... but then again what isnt for its budget price? Too bad its sold out :() If you want a better value, you can try used.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Awsome-Polk-Aud...ryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/PARADIGM-MINI-M...oryZ3278QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just noticed the amp only has 2 line in connections, so I can't add a subwoofer later. I like to annoy my neighbors with thudding bass. Can the bestbuy bookshelf speakers do that on their own?

I just noticed the amp only has 2 line in connections, so I can't add a subwoofer later. I like to annoy my neighbors with thudding bass. Can the bestbuy bookshelf speakers do that on their own?

lol no. they do ok but do not thud.

if your source(cd player, pc whatever) has two audio outs just plug one into a powered sub.

You connect the speakers to the sub and the sub to the amp so you only need L/R speaker inputs. Anyway, this ignoramus is going back to enjoying his AV-710+X-Fi digital outs > EMU 0404 USB digital in (both optical and coax)> Audiolab 8000A integratedf amp>Energy RC-1+Polk AudioM60+Energy Sub. + Sennheiser HD595 headphones+Koss KSC75 headphones+Klipsch Promedia 2.1+Monsoon Planer 2.1. Enjoy your $30.00 T amps and Insignia speakers. My system kicks that setups arse - big time. :)

They have the Swan M10's for $83 shipped from newegg. I think I will pick up a pair to test within the 15 day return policy.

I don't get the 6 month later response by TimG, but thank you for resurrecting the thread :D

I am currently in the market for a 2.1 maybe 2.0 setup ( I enjoy bass) mostly for music and movies, zero gaming.

I have considered the logitech , klipsch and started reading about the Swan's and M-Audio. Now I am just waiting for a god deal on one of those sets.

If you definitely want to stick with a 2.1 PC speaker system, then you can't go wrong with the Klipsch Promedia 2.1.

I guess I need to create a sig that offers my most repetitious suggestions:

Get the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set. You can't go wrong, regardless of what some "airheads" around here think about 'em.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 seems to be popular, along with the Swan M10 system. Check them out :) Also, the Swan M12 2.1 system seems to be on sale at theaudioinsider.com ..

EDIT: oops, M12, not M20

Wow, seriously? That's one of most pathetic things I've read on here. You're arguing over audio equipment....

What's more pathetic is that you don't know when someone is just pulling your chain. Take note of the smiley as it is a big clue. You resurrected a 6 month old thread to just flame me? Lame.

BTW, I have a pair of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sitting here right in front of me and they are just ok. Decent for games but not very good for music. The subwoofer is too boomy for music, IMO. I think Joe Average is too old to know what sounds good anyway. ;)

If you want a good amount of bass, you need to go for Klipsch or Logitech only (as far as computer goes). If you want a good amount of bass AND quality bass, you need to look away from computer systems completely.

If you want a good amount of bass, you need to go for Klipsch or Logitech only (as far as computer goes). If you want a good amount of bass AND quality bass, you need to look away from computer systems completely.

This is what I am beginning to realize, except that my Intern salary only supports ~$150 at the moment :p

Just a warning - you can NOT enter the audiophile world with a light wallet. Though, I am a bit interested at getting something higher quality than my Z-2300's - but I'm not about to spend 4 figures, much less high 3 figures.

I went from $19 Atlec Lansing to the $99 Z-2300's - I thought that upgrade was huge. I'll probably really only upgrade when I have a HDTV to pair it with...

The Swan M10 for $83? Shipped? Get those. Might not have the BOOM of the klipsch but will sound worlds better.

My opinion is to get the M10 or get a pair of decent powered monitors and save up for a sub woofer.

dan the dragon with road rage has it right imo

Just a warning - you can NOT enter the audiophile world with a light wallet. Though, I am a bit interested at getting something higher quality than my Z-2300's - but I'm not about to spend 4 figures, much less high 3 figures.

I went from $19 Atlec Lansing to the $99 Z-2300's - I thought that upgrade was huge. I'll probably really only upgrade when I have a HDTV to pair it with...

Did you mean to say "not about to spend high 3 figures, much less 4 figues"? Typically the expression "not <x>, much less <y>" implies y is worse than x.

The Swan M10 for $83? Shipped? Get those. Might not have the BOOM of the klipsch but will sound worlds better.

My opinion is to get the M10 or get a pair of decent powered monitors and save up for a sub woofer.

dan the dragon with road rage has it right imo

$83? WHERE? :)

EDIT:

Duh. Nevermind, saw the Newegg reference... heads that way... don't see 'em anyplace... nothing in the search for Swans M10, Swans (not those), HiVi, etc... still looking... bleh... that was in the past, damn. Oh well...

Looks like the m12 is replacing the m10. Ugly look and a 5" sub is more likely to produce good midbass but I doubt it will do 50 hz. Maybe 65-70. For $100 it is certainly worth a look with the 30-day if you are budget-lishous.

Back