best bang for the buck card? Kinda urgent

Hey, i been out of the graphics loop for about 8-9 months now, dont know whats out there really... Well my dad's rig had a burnout graphics card, it uses AGP, what can you recommend for his computer for about $100-$130 or so? He doesnt game, but i want to get him something as future proof as possible, since i SOMETIMES have friends LAN over. So basically i just want a reliable card that will run CS:S fairly well at least, what can you recommend? Im assuming ill be lookin at the x1600pro and 6600GT? Remember its gotta be AGP, what do you recommend? Links from newegg would be appreciated, would like to order tomorrow, thanks!

quiksilverx181 said:
Well my dad's rig had a burnout graphics card, it uses AGP, what can you recommend for his computer for about $100-$130 or so? He doesnt game, but i want to get him something as future proof as possible, since i SOMETIMES have friends LAN over. So basically i just want a reliable card that will run CS:S fairly well at least, what can you recommend? Im assuming ill be lookin at the x1600pro and 6600GT? Remember its gotta be AGP, what do you recommend?

First off, how old is your dad's rig?
If his rig is more than about 5 years old, a new AGP graphics card may not physically fit his AGP slot since the keying of the newer cards are different from those of older ones.

E4g1e said:
First off, how old is your dad's rig?
If his rig is more than about 5 years old, a new AGP graphics card may not physically fit his AGP slot since the keying of the newer cards are different from those of older ones.
I just built his rig a year and a half ago, its got the AMD 2600 Barton and a7n8x etc...

You pretty much answered your own question. The x1600pro or 6600gt are both good cards at the $130. Although, I tend to believe the x1600pro may be a tad more future proof with ATI new architecture on the x1x00 series, and its 256mb of ram vs the 6600gt 128mb of ram. x1600pro AGP Retail Link. Newegg also has the OEM version for a few bucks less.

id say go either the 6600GT (for bout $50 more, the 6800GS is very good), and i would go with eVega, because of there "Step Up" program, if you find a new eVega card you want to buy within 90 days of origanal purchase, u can send the 6600 back to them and use its price towards the upgrade.
~Hope this Helps!~

Back