Best Bang for the Buck headphones?

Thanks for the info, guys. I really can't afford to buy a decent headphone amp on top of the headphones themselves, so it sounds like the HD595s are for me :). I'm sure they're still an excellent set of cans :D

RyanVM said:
I'm sure they're still an excellent set of cans :D
Like i've said before, if this is your introduction into high end audio, they'll put a smile on your face. ^_^

~Enjoy

FLECOM said:
I think the 580s are better personally... but they really really need an amp to sound great... they will sound "ok" without an amp, but with an amp they really sound nice... i actually prefer the 580s to the 650s actually... i ended up giving my 580s to my dad when i picked up some 650s for real cheap and i ended up regretting giving away those lol... and the 580s are a great steal right now considering they were once sennheisers top-end headphone and they use the same drivers as the HD600s
me and a buddy got headphones, I got HD600 and he got 580's they sounded very simular until we amped them, the difference was unbelieveable...(I'll say the same about the DAC) The differences between the 600's and 580's is more bass related, the 600's seem to have a nicer response...

skeeder said:
me and a buddy got headphones, I got HD600 and he got 580's they sounded very simular until we amped them, the difference was unbelieveable...(I'll say the same about the DAC) The differences between the 600's and 580's is more bass related, the 600's seem to have a nicer response...

As I understand it, the 580 and 600 use the same drivers. If you put 650 cables and 600 grills on your 580, methinks the 580 should actually sound slightly better.

They do use the same drivers. So any difference found would be between cables & casing.

FLECOM said:
I think the 580s are better personally... but they really really need an amp to sound great... they will sound "ok" without an amp, but with an amp they really sound nice... i actually prefer the 580s to the 650s actually... i ended up giving my 580s to my dad when i picked up some 650s for real cheap and i ended up regretting giving away those lol... and the 580s are a great steal right now considering they were once sennheisers top-end headphone and they use the same drivers as the HD600s

Yep, reason i bought these were cause of Flecom's recommendation. I should get them today...GOD cant wait. Going to swap the Opamps in my Go-Vibe, going to go with a AD8620 to replace my AD823AN.

Gautama, make any progress deciding what to buy?

My recommendation stands. The HD580 for 125$ and the DT770pro for 150$ are both great values. They are quite different though, but at the same quality level.

Highlife said:
Going to swap the Opamps in my Go-Vibe, going to go with a AD8620 to replace my AD823AN.

Don't be suprised if you find that combo a little to bright. ;)
(some people feel the 8620 is a good fit for the sennheisers because it is bright)

If you are looking for better balance try a pair of AD825s mounted on a single to dual op-amp adapter. ;)

I'm getting the HD555s. I want something easy to drive, so HD580 is out. And the DT770s are too bassy for my taste. HD555 seems to be the sweetspot i was looking for, $94 on amazon too.

Gautama said:
I'm getting the HD555s. I want something easy to drive, so HD580 is out. And the DT770s are too bassy for my taste. HD555 seems to be the sweetspot i was looking for, $94 on amazon too.
Well, I hope you enjoy them.
Should be interesting to see how long you hold out with the HD555 before upgrading. ^_^

Got my upgrades planned out, HD555--->xfi xtreme music-->more ram and vista (this will be SP1 time)---> new graphics card

Mister X said:
(some people feel the 8620 is a good fit for the sennheisers because it is bright)

If you are looking for better balance try a pair of AD825s mounted on a single to dual op-amp adapter. ;)

Oh thanks for the suggestion...does the adapter require that i solder both amps on to it? Will it still fit in my hammond case?

Mister X said:

Oh thanks for the suggestion...does the adapter require that i solder both amps on to it? Also, will i be able to power 2 opamps with 1-9v? Will it still fit in my case with it on? Thanks MrX.

OMG MY 580s are hear.....here =)

So far, just got them on....MUCH more upfront then the 555s and crisper for sure. Bass seems alittle more present then the 555s. Another thing, the 555s seem bigger...seem to be a better fit for people with big ears. My ears arent huge so its ok, but i can see people with my Alfred E. Newman ears having a hard time with the 580s.

Highlife said:
Oh thanks for the suggestion...does the adapter require that i solder both amps on to it? Also, will i be able to power 2 opamps with 1-9v? Will it still fit in my case with it on? Thanks MrX.

OMG MY 580s are hear.....here =)

So far, just got them on....MUCH more upfront then the 555s and crisper for sure. Bass seems alittle more present then the 555s. Another thing, the 555s seem bigger...seem to be a better fit for people with big ears. My ears arent huge so its ok, but i can see people with my Alfred E. Newman ears having a hard time with the 580s.
break those puppies in :)

Gautama said:
break those puppies in :)

in the process right now...im listen to that Ultrasone test CD....track 6 with the pipe organs doing 2001 is AMAZING. The 555s seem much more dark then these...also the bass on the 580s just smack the 555s. Its deeper, yet tighter in certain spots.

Even with my Govibe powering these there is a noticeable difference between the 555s and the 580s. I have to say though, i can see the 555s would be easier on the ears (sound wise) since its darker. The pads on these are also alittle stiffer then the 555s, i guess due to the size.

The sound stage on the 555s are biggger to me...if the 555's put you at around 10th row in a concert...the 580s put you about 1-2, just a tad smaller. Also, these are in NO way forgiving when it comes to music...so if your source or the quality of your MP3s are really good. These going to show all the imperfections in your music. The 555s are much better in this respect...i think due to the darker sound.

Ive been listening to them the past 45mins none stop....god i love these....sound soo much brighter then the 555s

But dam i think im going to need to get a home amp...as my Govibe is doing a decent job...i can just tell these will LOVE having more power.

Highlife said:
in the process right now...im listen to that Ultrasone test CD....track 6 with the pipe organs doing 2001 is AMAZING. The 555s seem much more dark then these...also the bass on the 580s just smack the 555s. Its deeper, yet tighter in certain spots.

Even with my Govibe powering these there is a noticeable difference between the 555s and the 580s. I have to say though, i can see the 555s would be easier on the ears (sound wise) since its darker. The pads on these are also alittle stiffer then the 555s, i guess due to the size.

The sound stage on the 555s are biggger to me...if the 555's put you at around 10th row in a concert...the 580s put you about 1-2, just a tad smaller. Also, these are in NO way forgiving when it comes to music...so if your source or the quality of your MP3s are really good. These going to show all the imperfections in your music. The 555s are much better in this respect...i think due to the darker sound.

Ive been listening to them the past 45mins none stop....god i love these....sound soo much brighter then the 555s
Thanks for your impressions. Always nice to see what other's think, especially as I'm also just trying out the HD580.

Highlife said:
Oh thanks for the suggestion...does the adapter require that i solder both amps on to it? Will it still fit in my hammond case?

Yes and yes again. ;)

Also, will i be able to power 2 opamps with 1-9v?

Yup, but as is the case with most of the op-amps that you will use in that amp... they will sound much better with more voltage

Mister X said:
Yes and yes again. ;)

Yup, but as is the case with most of the op-amps that you will use in that amp... they will sound much better with more voltage

Thanks for the info MrX...Merry Christmas.

Estimated delivery date on the HD555s I just ordered- Jan 10-12... Damn, >.<

Gautama said:
Estimated delivery date on the HD555s I just ordered- Jan 10-12... Damn, >.<

I hate it when that happens.
By the time you get them you are ready to try something else. :p

I ended up getting the HD595s for $150 shipped through Amazon Marketplace. They arrived today. I'm in love.

Back