Best Buy Dynex case kicks ass!

Sharky974

Identified Troll
So long story short I had ordered a lot of parts for a new quad core rig from newegg, they are due tomorrow.

However initially I had planned to perhaps reuse my old case/PSU that my current aging rig sits in, which I'm not particularly happy with anyway, as I'd much rather leave my old build alone and simply build my new unit into a brand new case/PSU. This would be by far simplest all around. Too make matters worse, on doing a little research it appeared my current power supply, a 480 watt Antec, might not be ideal for a Q6600 as apparantly the specs have changed, and now various new connectors are needed (8 pin, 24 pin), which I wasn't sure mine had.

So I didn't actually order a case/PSU from newegg, but I quickly realized this was a big mistake. However, I did not want to wait now, I was dead set on building my PC when it comes in tomorrow. Shipping a case from newegg would be an expensive endeavor, anyway.

So I needed a decent case/PSU combo hopefully, and trying to keep costs low as well. I wasn't hopeful, as I know how ridiculous retail markups for PC components are. And I dont have a FRY's near me either.I went searching into the actual retail world. I was hoping best case to find a decent case/PSU combo that didn't look to cheap for around $80. There were a couple small PC shops near me and a Best Buy, all were real ripoffs, so I was expecting the worst. Turned out the small shops had closed since I last visited. So my only real alternative was Best Buy.

Well I found exactly what I wanted at Best Buy..it's called a Dynex, which is just one of Best Buy's crappy house brands meaning it's something else rebadged (which is a good thing imo). The price was right at 79.99, and it boasted a 500 watt power supply included. Exactly what I needed.

On opening the case I am really impressed. It is solidly built, looks as nice as my old case easily. Definitly a lot more solid than for example my brothers case on his $1100 rig from cyberpower PC. It's not the most gorgeous case in the world but it's really great for what it is. Inside appears to be every whiz bang, toolless connector and gizmo I could possibly want. The power supply even has sleeved cords which is awesome, I hated staring at my messy cords through the window in my old case for three years. This case doesn't even have a window (which is another thing I kinda like, actually) so I guess it's not as big a deal, but it's still cool. I'm sure the uberoverclocker type wouldn't be happy with the PSU as I imagine it's not the best in the world, but even though I build my own PC's I dont generally overclock, I'm sure it'll be fine for me and it has all the latest connectors.

In short I am really thrilled with this case, for the price it is simply awesome. If you're ever on short notice and just need a basic case, I highly recommend this.

Here is a link to this case on bb website, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8329864&type=product&id=1175388730209 it looks a good deal better in person imo

wow,that's a lot to read for a "long story short" :D. What brand is the PSU? I got two of the Dynex cases on sale for $20.00 and they included Allied PSU's. At least I got a decent case for $20. :D

this thread is worth less without pics, glad to hear you like it though.

The PSU says Dynex. Like I said I'm sure it's not the best, but it'll work for me.

I'm sure there are much better cases to be had even for the price, but if you ever just need to get something at brick and mortar for cheap this case is out there.

Here's a couple pics.

dscf0269za0.jpg

dscf0268za2.jpg

Doesn't look or feel cheap at all, it's a quality case.

I KNOW cases always look better in person than they do online... I'm still not convinced that's worth 80$ though...

I got the $20 Dynex and it's worth every cent!

If you can get it on sale for $20 like ryan_975 and wolfofsin did, it's a pretty sweet deal. But $80?... Lol, don't think so.

If you can get it on sale for $20 like ryan_975 and wolfofsin did, it's a pretty sweet deal. But $80?... Lol, don't think so.

If you actually have to buy something at a store, that isn't Fry's, this is the best you'll do.

Best Buy carries the Antec 900 for $154. You could get that, then spend another 100 for a PSU at BB also. It would be much better but also $250.

I've been using a Dynex 500 watt for a couple years now. Another one I had is also still working after a couple years. They're not bad PSU's really.

Depends on whether or not thats the same exact Dynex the OP has. But they're not bad but not good PSUs either. I concur with o0akoni0o, get a decent PSU for your system. It's not worth the risk to trust a quad-core rig with a generic PSU.

What are the rest of your specs, OP?

Looks like a rebranded Chenbro PC611 to me http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?serno=8. The whole teal plastic motif in the pci bracket holder, 120mm exhaust fan holder, and bezel removal tabs are a dead giveaway. It's probably a good case too, I've have a Chenbro SR (server chassis) series case for my current computer, and another is on the way for my next one. Not as flashy as other cases, but they're built pretty solidly.

If you actually have to buy something at a store, that isn't Fry's, this is the best you'll do.

Best Buy carries the Antec 900 for $154. You could get that, then spend another 100 for a PSU at BB also. It would be much better but also $250.

Or, for 170$, newegg will sell you a much nicer Centurion 5 and a Corsair VX450 or something... And just wait the 3 days?

Dang now I am getting pretty worried about that PSU. The part # is DX-PS500W. Best buy sells it for 139.99 alone! http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodd...C5D2B51A5DDDD98F043A3E017E75E0E&test_cookie=1
Or maybe just Canada. But I see it on ebay for like $8, leading me to wonder if it's total junk.

Thing is I was under the impression a bad power supply wouldn't actually hurt your components. Maybe just not work right but not actually permanently harm anything. Now it seems they can indeed fry your stuff.

I wish I could find out more about this PSU, but so far my googling has yielded little.

Now I dont know what to do..I have a Antec trupower 480 watt in my current rig, I could re-use that. It's old and dusty and messy as crap but at least it's qaulity. Really dont feel like pulling it, switching out the Dynex for it though. Besides I think it has the twenty and four pin connectors. Do I need an adapter for those? Dont know where I can get those adaptors either, the whole point is not ordering more from newegg cus I wanna build tomorrow!

The case itself is definitly solid, cool info on the chenbro stuff. But now I'm worried about that PSU.

Maybe I should just return this, get the 900 and a quality PSU from newegg, pay another $30 minimum shipping, etc etc etc sigh hassle..

Looks like a rebranded Chenbro PC611 to me http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?serno=8. The whole teal plastic motif in the pci bracket holder, 120mm exhaust fan holder, and bezel removal tabs are a dead giveaway. It's probably a good case too, I've have a Chenbro SR (server chassis) series case for my current computer, and another is on the way for my next one. Not as flashy as other cases, but they're built pretty solidly.

You are correct. From the link you provided, if you click the tab labled "Family Bezel" you will find this exact case. Good eye!

Who the hell goes shopping at Best Buy for cases?

People who need one right now?

And actually, they have that Antec 900 which by all accounts is a good popular case, for 150. Since it's a minimum of $26 to ship a case from newegg, that's not bad. Of course the shipping probably roughly correlates to taxes at BB.

Newegg currently has the 900 for 99, but until recently I believe it was 139.

Damnit, the whole point was I wanted to build THIS WEEK. All my stuff is coming tomorrow including new monitor, first time I'll be getting Vista, etc and I have the whole week off. If I order anything less than next day (very expensive on a case) from newegg now I probably wont be receiving it until next week. Even with next day it'll be Thursday with the week almost over and expenses for this build rapidly mounting.

<removed>

No kidding. The Antec Solo isn't much more and it is a FAR better case. There was an older Dynex case at Best Buy that looked better than that one but it felt cheap to me. The chassis was ok but the plastics were worse than those found in an 80's GM vehicle interior. :eek:

Who the hell goes shopping at Best Buy for cases?

Sure as hell not me and I dont mind waiting a few days for a case and also, Some of the cases on newegg have free shipping like the antec 900 has free shipping.

And for 90 bux, You could get a LIAN LI PC-7B plus II with free shipping.

Just use the report button to get mods in here. Using language like that will only get YOU in trouble, an infuriating situation that I know all too well :eek:.

Just use the report button to get mods in here. Using language like that will only get YOU in trouble, an infuriating situation that I know all too well :eek:.

Yeah I'll prolly be banned I know I dont care.

I'll prolly edit most of it, just felt good to get it off my chest.

Yeah I'll prolly be banned I know I dont care.

I'll prolly edit most of it, just felt good to get it off my chest.

Who cares. What the hell do you care if others approve. They can gtfo if they don't like your thread.

And getting others warned for thread crapping feels better than getting stuff off your chest :D

Just so you know, 95% of my orders from Newegg were at my front door in two days, and even some were on my doorstep the next day. That's all with the cheapest shipping offered.. Very few took three days to get here and none have ever taken four or more.

Just so you know, 95% of my orders from Newegg were at my front door in two days, and even some were on my doorstep the next day. That's all with the cheapest shipping offered.. Very few took three days to get here and none have ever taken four or more.

To echo that, A good friend of mine, here on the board as BrandonB, ordered a PC-V1000B from newegg last Wednesday or Thursday (I believe Thursday) and paid for 3 days shipping (20$) and is getting it Tomorrow (Tuesday).

You could PROBABLY have a nice case, like a Centurion 5, at your doorstep on friday if you pay for 3 day shipping, at 65$ shipped.

Calm down, man. No need to get angry at a bunch of online personas. Really no point. Just be content that you like the case. Don't worry or care about what other people think about the case. If you like it, then keep it and don't give a damn about what people say.

However, unlike PC cases, which are mostly chosen by personal preference, PSUs can't be chosen that almost carefree way. Yes, a bad or poorly designed PSU can take out your system if your system is too much for it. So I do recommend getting a better power supply.

There are 20 to 24pin adapters and 4 to 8pin P4 adpaters but I do not recommend using them as some motherboards don't work right with those kind of adapters. Best Buy should have those adaptors. Also that Truepower 480W is only a bit better than the Dynex PSU. However, the Truepower I and II series of PSUs do have a history of dying and taking out systems as well.

So now you're probably thinking, "What should I do now?" Simple. Just buy a good PSU from Best Buy. However, PSUs from Best Buy will cost a lot more than what they retail for online. Best Buy does have the Antec Truepower Trio, Neopower and Earthwatts PSUs, all good PSUs, last time I checked.

Anyways, I dunno. I'm concerned about the PSU now. I'm gonna pull it out just to feel how heavy it is for one. I wish somebody could tell me it was a rebadged sparkle or something to ease my mind, but given the dearth of info online about it I doubt that'll happen.

Also the case is solid buildwise though. Real solid, I like it better than my uber case from newegg.

I doubt I'll be coming back to this thread, no use getting angry.

Guys, please DO NOT threadcrap.

Start your own threads about the cases you like and stop crapping this one.

Anyways, I dunno. I'm concerned about the PSU now. I'm gonna pull it out just to feel how heavy it is for one. I wish somebody could tell me it was a rebadged sparkle or something to ease my mind, but given the dearth of info online about it I doubt that'll happen.

Also the case is solid buildwise though. Real solid, I like it better than my uber case from newegg.

I doubt I'll be coming back to this thread, no use getting angry.

If you can find the UL badge on the PSU label (it's a backwards UR) and get the number from right under it, (it starts with an E) someone will be able to find the original manufacturer.

if you're having second thoughts with that psu, why not just return it and get a better one? look for the CoolerMaster 690 that can be had for less than 50 bux after rebate and then get a good psu say like Earthwatts 500 (see sig :D ). but if you're happy with what you got just let it be and don't worry bout others on what they think of it..

or take a look at this thread. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1279397

I actually like it. If someone needs a case right away then depending on one's taste in cases it could be a good fit. It's not a Lian Li but who cares. I for one do not care for Lian Li cases anyway.

get a enermax PSU - see sig. id keep the case though. As previously posted u can get way better cases for cheaper or same price if you shop around online. look at ZZF - free fedex shipping.

I actually somewhat like that case and i looked at it at work one day when a customer asked to see it and it seems to be pretty sturdy. my buddy runs that exact same PSU in his x2 4400+ rig with an 8800ultra(don't ask why he is retarded) 4GB of DDR2 1066 2 320GB HDD's.
It seems to be a decent psu. I run the rocketfish 700w(i mean 550w) and for being 60 bucks on employee discount it is really nice PSU.

OP.. possibly to help out. I have gone through 3 Dynex PSU's in under 2 years. I use them mostly in AMD FX systems with 7950's some SLi some not. I hate these PSU's my company runs out and buys them when one dies and has me slam in another one, rather than wait the day or two to buy a real one. Personally i feel as one already stated that the Truepowers are a slight step above. I have had mixed luck with them as well i lost a 2 MB's a few months ago due to a faulty wire in 2 different PSU's. If you want my opinion so far the Silverstones PSU have given me no trouble and handle anything i have put in them. Invest in a good PSU or you mostly likely will regret it later on.

sorry but nothing i've read or seen so far remotely resembles "kick ass" with that case and PSU.

Back