Best Buy's New Mascot? The "Y U NO" Guy

that is friggin' hilarious, and if I thought that BB would be around long enough that might not be a bad deal with kids :D

they changed FUUUUUUUUUU to NOOOOOOOOOO. It kills the funny. :-P

25294377.jpg

Or.... you can just buy a digital copy or make a digital copy... or they could, you know, provide you with a digital copy when you buy the CD so you don't have to worry about a scratch taking out your music instead of paying some overpriced bs protection plan that makes the consumers hate you more and digs your own grave a bit deeper

What's sadder, the unprofessionalism of Geek Squad or the misuse of the meme by people whom you would think understands its use?

i like how the E in BLUE-RAY is scratched out with black marker... cause BluRay doesnt have an E and its way to expensive to change it and print off another copy.

i like how the E in BLUE-RAY is scratched out with black marker... cause BluRay doesnt have an E and its way to expensive to change it and print off another copy.

I picked up on that too... found that a bit more sad than the Y U NO meme.

Looks like an individual store's ad. Probably just made by one person there trying to be witty.

I also love when people use apostrophes in front of an "s" when they don't indicate ownership.

looks like meme abuse and a last ditch effort to gain customers... go away bestbuy

I also love when people use apostrophes in front of an "s" when they don't indicate ownership.

I love it when people don't understand that there are two legitimate position on apostrophes for acronyms and numbers (CD's versus CDs; 1980's vs 1980s). Both are correct, but "GREAT PRICE ON GRAPE'S" is never acceptable. The apostrophe less version is growing more popular, but as long as you're consistent throughout your publication (which they were), it's fine.

I love it when people don't understand that there are two legitimate position on apostrophes for acronyms and numbers (CD's versus CDs; 1980's vs 1980s). Both are correct, but "GREAT PRICE ON GRAPE'S" is never acceptable. The apostrophe less version is growing more popular, but as long as you're consistent throughout your publication (which they were), it's fine.

This seems to indicate that you are correct but only in certain circumstances:

Turabian[32] (Chicago) allows for an apostrophe "only when an abbreviation contains internal periods or both capital and lowercase letters". The MLA[33] is explicit "do not use an apostrophe to form the plural of an abbreviation". The APA is specific in[34][34] "without an apostrophe".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym_and_initialism

So, by that definition, "CD's" is not correct.

Y U NO BUY $1000 AUDIOQUEST HDMI CABLES???

Wouldn't it be better to just say "1 year scratch protection plan". Has anyone ever had an unscratched media not play that wasn't due to a drive issue? No wonder they have a 91% profit decrease. It's worded just like you would be talking to one of the clueless sales people. Also the word "basically" is really reassuring. "We'll replace it, if we feel like it and if we have the exact same thing in stock."

This seems to indicate that you are correct but only in certain circumstances:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym_and_initialism

So, by that definition, "CD's" is not correct.

Clearly, Wikipedia is the right source here, but I agree that most style guides now suggest CDs; and it seems that even the New York Times has given up on the apostrophe, but I still think it's a little early to call it incorrect, unless one is required to follow a particular style guide that disagrees. I don't think most people understand that grammar and style rules can change, and certainly very few would want to slog through a style guide to see that the apostrophes they were taught to use are no longer in style. At least they didn't write C.D.'s (which wouldn't have been unusual several years back).

Clearly, Wikipedia is the right source here

I can't help but :rolleyes: when I hear this. Yeah, maybe back in the early 00s Wikipedia was sketchy, but nowadays items are cited and checked for accuracy. That's what those numbers are next to the stuff in the quote I posted. I think I'll trust the MLA over random dudes on internet forums. :p

It looks to me that it was a lone effort by an employee to create their own sign for whatever disc replacement service Best Buy is offering. I doubt that's corporate or widespread. Probably an "isolated incident".

I like the wording "...we will basically..."

So on a less "basic" level, what are they doing?

They forgot the * and the tiny type at the bottom that says "As long as it's still in the original shrinkwrap and you have your receipt."

I like the terminology. "We will basically..."
Any time you're inquiring about a warranty and those three words are used....yeah, that's not really a good warranty.

They forgot the * and the tiny type at the bottom that says "As long as it's still in the original shrinkwrap and you have your receipt."

I like the terminology. "We will basically..."
Any time you're inquiring about a warranty and those three words are used....yeah, that's not really a good warranty.

Everyone knows most BB employees will lie through their teeth to sell you worthless protection plans.

Back