Best C2D value for 3 - 3.2GHz?

Sabs

Limp Gawd
I purchased 2GB of OCZ PC2-6400 and an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7. I'm planning to buy a GA-P35-DS3R and am still trying to decide on a processor.

I'd like to keep the price of the CPU under $200. I plan to do an overclock to 3.0 or 3.2 GHz. I want to "set it and forget it" - just have a reliable system running at this speed. Given the lower multipliers of the new 1333MHz FSB processors, would I be better off purchasing an older CPU (E4300, E4400) with a higher multiplier to keep the RAM clock lower? Again, I'm only looking for around 3GHz, stability, and a good value.

Which CPU would you recommend as the best value in my case?

Sell the Freezer 7 Pro or return it if possible, buy something with more cooling power like a Scythe Ninja Plus Rev B or Sunbeam Tuniq Tower and get an E6420. You should be able to get 3.2Ghz without trouble at stock or just above stock vcore and 400Mhz (1600Mhz in Intel-speak) FSB, which means with a 1:1 divider your RAM is running at its native speed, DDR2-800. $185 or so for an E6420.

In fact, if you want I'll sell you mine for $170 or so, shipped. Never been OC'd above 3.2Ghz, never been run above 1.4vcore, and it's rock solid stable. Only had it for a couple of months, built this machine... May 15th I think it was?

I am extremely happy with this you can get it for under $120 and can get it up from 3Ghz-3.6Ghz depending on mobo/ram and of course luck of the chip but it's a great value if you want 3Ghz

Perhaps I was shooting a little high - let's say 2.8 - 3.0GHz. I would think the Freezer 7 would be up to the task as my case is well ventilated.

E4300, E4400, or other?

i have a e4300 at 2.88ghz @320fsb and at 100% load 24/7 (folding) it runs 55*c with a zalman 7000. Faster than a stock E6700, a third the price :D

Check my sig and you will see why I add my vote for a E4300/E4400/E4500 :)

I might have an e6400 (retail, still have box/heatsink/papers) I'll sell for $150 shipped/$125+s&h (whichever is less), I'll know over the weekend.

Good pick IMHO...............:cool: Check out the C2D data base for OC results with the E4300, great little chip for the money. Mine will do up to 3.0 GHz at default voltages, 3.2 with a slight vcore bump of 0.05. ..........:D

isn't the best value any of them that have an 8x multi or better? that way you can get 3.2ghz with any ddr2 800 ram and any mobo that can do 400fsb of better? and the getting 4mb of l2 cache is 5% faster than a chip with 2mb of l2 cache.

so the cheapest 6x20 with the 8x multi is the best value chip, right?

isn't the best value any of them that have an 8x multi or better? that way you can get 3.2ghz with any ddr2 800 ram and any mobo that can do 400fsb of better? and the getting 4mb of l2 cache is 5% faster than a chip with 2mb of l2 cache.

prob 4300 or 4400 116 both that price around ...im thinking of going with the 4400 for 119 not sure though

E4300, the 44's migth not OC as well. And for crying out loud get the ABIT IP35. Anything but a Junkabyte!

That'd be my theory, and my practice, too.

I find it amusing that the OP asked for advice, and I count not one, or two, but THREE people trying to sell him stuff. hah

I find it amusing that the OP asked for advice, and I count not one, or two, but THREE people trying to sell him stuff. hah

Eh. I want a quad now, he wants a dual that'll do 3.2Ghz.. I have a dual that's been doing 3.2Ghz for around 2 months without any issue at all. If he bought it EVERYBODY WINS.

.....kinda. With any luck, I'd win /more/... but he'd be getting what he wants. That's got to count for something, right? :cool: :)D) Of course, he already bought something, so my less-than-evil plan is foiled.

Back